shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Best treatment for DRY hair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 10:24:15 AM
Author: Lorelei

OW!! You messed up my hair!!!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
hehe23.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 11/1/2008 10:19:06 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/1/2008 10:14:09 AM

Date: 11/1/2008 10:03:48 AM

Date: 11/1/2008 9:10:06 AM

Date: 11/1/2008 9:07:14 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions gals!
36.gif
Maybe I''ll try the Keratase first since it has so many positive votes, and go from there.

And julie, I actually do have jojoba oil in my cabinet.
2.gif
* swings hair* I had a Kerastase treatment this morning so my hair is all preety!
30.gif
11.gif
It looks lovely.
25.gif
shucks.....thanks! It does doesn''t it???
31.gif
11.gif
28.gif
* fluffs*
pound.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
HI:

Finally, someone else getsa beatin''
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to get beat up or anything . . .
9.gif

But my mom had this same problem with her hair and menopause. I gave her my bottles of Jonathan Product shampoo and conditioner and she''s raving about it. She says it feels like she''s brushing someone else''s head, which sounds kind of creepy, but yanno what she means.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2008 11:46:20 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 11/1/2008 10:19:06 AM

Date: 11/1/2008 10:14:09 AM

Date: 11/1/2008 10:03:48 AM

Date: 11/1/2008 9:10:06 AM

Date: 11/1/2008 9:07:14 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions gals!
36.gif
Maybe I'll try the Keratase first since it has so many positive votes, and go from there.

And julie, I actually do have jojoba oil in my cabinet.
2.gif
* swings hair* I had a Kerastase treatment this morning so my hair is all preety!
30.gif
11.gif
It looks lovely.
25.gif
shucks.....thanks! It does doesn't it???
31.gif
11.gif
28.gif
* fluffs*
pound.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
HI:

Finally, someone else getsa beatin'
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
tantrum.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2008 11:57:31 AM

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
HI:

9.gif

cheers--Sharon
tantrum.gif
HI:

Yanno I was just kiddin''
1.gif
All that jumpin around is gonna mess your hair, girl!

cheers--Sharon

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, I have used everything from Fekkai & Pureology to Pantene, and my hands-down favorite is the Pantene Replenishing Mask (comes in a tub). It''s only about $5, which is a total steal, since I have known to pay 10x as much, but it''s the best I''ve used.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Anyone ever do the mayo and egg wrap thing? You know...slather it on and wrap your head in syran wrap for 1/2 hr or so? (Mind you, I''m recalling this from my teen years and that was a loooooooong (long) time ago!

Isn''t there something about a final rinse with beer being a good conditioner?

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 4:00:41 PM
Author: justjulia
Anyone ever do the mayo and egg wrap thing? You know...slather it on and wrap your head in syran wrap for 1/2 hr or so? (Mind you, I''m recalling this from my teen years and that was a loooooooong (long) time ago!

Yes and yes. I ended up smelling like a fraternity house. (But I was very popular with the boys on campus for a day or so.)

Goopy, sorta worked, but I''d stick with conditioner.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I also have very, very curly hair and I love OUIDAD The deep treatment is the best for keeping my curly hair from feeling dry. And a plus, it''s even on sale right now! I use the shampoo, conditioner, & gel too. LOVE the gel for my hair. I use the Curl Quencher gel for styling. Good luck!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 9:46:19 PM
Author: jas

Date: 11/1/2008 4:00:41 PM
Author: justjulia

Yes and yes. I ended up smelling like a fraternity house. (But I was very popular with the boys on campus for a day or so.)

Goopy, sorta worked, but I''d stick with conditioner.
9.gif

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think garnier fructese deep conditioner works the best on me. it''s pretty cheap to boot!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

Finally, someone else getsa beatin'
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
That wasn't very nice.
slap4.gif
9.gif

Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

jas, too funny!
9.gif
Good to see you, hope the wee ones are doing well!
35.gif

julia, I always just heard mayo, not the egg. But I never tried it.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/2/2008 5:53:39 PM

HI:

9.gif

cheers--Sharon
That wasn''t very nice.
slap4.gif
9.gif

Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

jas, too funny!
9.gif
Good to see you, hope the wee ones are doing well!
35.gif

julia, I always just heard mayo, not the egg. But I never tried it.
Thanks, Ellen. "Wee" is the operative word these days.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2008 6:45:47 PM
Author: jas

Thanks, Ellen. ''Wee'' is the operative word these days.
5.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 12:18:52 PM
Author: Skippy123
I use 2 products. In the pink bottle daily I use Herbal Essences Colored/Permed/Damaged Hair Replenishing Conditioner and 3x a week I use Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=3&utm_source=tf_plp&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Trusted%2BFeed%2BPLP

You have seen my hair; it is pretty thick so this helps and it isn''t greasy.

Biolage worked really well for me (before baby). I used their thick conditioner.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks T! Maybe I should try the cheaper ones first, some of these are pricey.....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2008 9:23:03 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 10/31/2008 12:18:52 PM
Author: Skippy123
I use 2 products. In the pink bottle daily I use Herbal Essences Colored/Permed/Damaged Hair Replenishing Conditioner and 3x a week I use Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=3&utm_source=tf_plp&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Trusted%2BFeed%2BPLP

You have seen my hair; it is pretty thick so this helps and it isn''t greasy.

Biolage worked really well for me (before baby). I used their thick conditioner.
I really like it too. I think you can get a small tube for $12 at Target.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 12:38:11 PM
Author: vespergirl
Hi there, I have used everything from Fekkai & Pureology to Pantene, and my hands-down favorite is the Pantene Replenishing Mask (comes in a tub). It''s only about $5, which is a total steal, since I have known to pay 10x as much, but it''s the best I''ve used.
Ditto! I have used so many different products over the last freaking 15-20 yrs and I still come back to Pantene. I am sick to death of hairdressers raving on and on about how bad it is for your hair, but my hair is strong and healthy so WTH?!?! My hairdresser is always telling me (and others have commented too) how healthy and strong my hair is (I didn''t even need to use conditioner until I started colouring it) and they have nothing to say when I tell them I use Pantene. I understand they have to push their own products, but my regular hairdresser rekons if it works then use it. She is jealous that my hair is soft and smooth, so I guess it can''t be all bad.

I don''t know if you blonde your hair Ellen, but I found that when I started highlighting my hair I had straw! I went from never using conditioner (maybe once a week or every two weeks) to using mega conditioning shampoo and conditioner everyday and also a leave in conditioner/treatment every wash. Now I have started colouring at home but going darker/same colour (ie. no blonde highlights) and my hair is much healthier. The colour seems to actually have a conditioning effect and I am back to using conditioner only occasionaly.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Your hair does change a lot during menopause...esspecially if you decolorize it with highlights. Curly hair tends to be more dry anyway...there are many theories behind this, but none that are known for certain.

I would recommend using the Loreal Professional Series. I love the vitamin treatments in this line because they really do work for an extended period of time...not just for the day. All the products are designed to be used on color treated hair, so you''re actually getting a lot of what your hair needs anyway in higher doses. They smell really good too, which makes them pleasant to use.

They have several different lines in the series, including one for curly hair.

You can buy them online at Amazon, as well as at higher end salons. These products are extremely exclusive and have a no compete clause on them...meaning if they are carried in a salon, the salon cannot carry any other hair care product of a similar price point which makes these products a rare find.

If you can, once you get the product, apply it from the ends moving upwards to your roots...after applying, comb thru...put a shower cap on your head, and go about your normal business. The heat from your scalp will intensify the healing power of the conditioning treatment making the results about 10 fold. Doing this twice or even three times weekly should make a huge difference in the quality of your hair.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 6:37:50 AM
Author: honey22

Ditto! I have used so many different products over the last freaking 15-20 yrs and I still come back to Pantene. I am sick to death of hairdressers raving on and on about how bad it is for your hair, but my hair is strong and healthy so WTH?!?! My hairdresser is always telling me (and others have commented too) how healthy and strong my hair is (I didn''t even need to use conditioner until I started colouring it) and they have nothing to say when I tell them I use Pantene. I understand they have to push their own products, but my regular hairdresser rekons if it works then use it. She is jealous that my hair is soft and smooth, so I guess it can''t be all bad.

I don''t know if you blonde your hair Ellen, but I found that when I started highlighting my hair I had straw! I went from never using conditioner (maybe once a week or every two weeks) to using mega conditioning shampoo and conditioner everyday and also a leave in conditioner/treatment every wash. Now I have started colouring at home but going darker/same colour (ie. no blonde highlights) and my hair is much healthier. The colour seems to actually have a conditioning effect and I am back to using conditioner only occasionaly.
Not to be another harper...but Pantene is probably the single worst product you can use on your hair...bar none.

Pantene does make your hair shinny, strong, and lovely in appearence...but it does so by coating the hair strand with wax. That''s right...wax. This makes it hard to color your hair because the wax coating has actually weighed the hair cuticle down, making the penetration of the strand nearly impossible. Along the same lines, moisture is unable to get into the strand, meaning if you were to stop using Pantene for an extended period of time--and began to clarify your hair (stripping away the wax coating) you''d notice your hair is actually damaged and dry.

I''m all for drug store products that still have product integrity...but Pantene has a long history of doing more damage than good in the long run.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honey and Italia, thanks! No blonde coloring, though I do color. But I know for a fact it's because of this glorious phase of life I'm in.
20.gif
Honestly, you get rid of one big irritant, but gain a bunch of others. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
39.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
One of the best things you can do for dry hair is to wash is less frequently. Most people wash their hair way too often and the natural oils don''t have a chance to actually reach much of the length. Try going one more day than you normally would...so if you wash every other day, wash every third day etc. It''ll feel weird at first but your hair will love you for it.

I have dyed and highlighted shoulder blade length hair. I wash it every 6 days and it really doesn''t look bad or feel bad. Honest. The hair stylists are always amazed at how good of condition my hair is given the amount of coloring/highlighting I do.

I also use the Infusium reconstructor...I put it in a spray bottle and use it after I wash & dry.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 10:02:52 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Date: 11/4/2008 6:37:50 AM

Author: honey22

Not to be another harper...but Pantene is probably the single worst product you can use on your hair...bar none.

Pantene does make your hair shinny, strong, and lovely in appearence...but it does so by coating the hair strand with wax. That''s right...wax. This makes it hard to color your hair because the wax coating has actually weighed the hair cuticle down, making the penetration of the strand nearly impossible. Along the same lines, moisture is unable to get into the strand, meaning if you were to stop using Pantene for an extended period of time--and began to clarify your hair (stripping away the wax coating) you''d notice your hair is actually damaged and dry.

I''m all for drug store products that still have product integrity...but Pantene has a long history of doing more damage than good in the long run.

I have heard this before, and I am not saying you are wrong, but I have spent time looking up the ingredients from Pantene and I can''t find a compound that is wax, or close to it. What ingredient actually causes this? As a scientist, I am more curious than trying to prove anyone wrong, so please don''t take offence.

I have also compared the chemicals in pantene and my other salon recommended products and they are bascially the same compounds, classes of chemicals. They all have detergent, oils and purfume. I can''t see how Pantene is any different.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 11:22:42 AM
Author: IslandDreams
One of the best things you can do for dry hair is to wash is less frequently. Most people wash their hair way too often and the natural oils don''t have a chance to actually reach much of the length. Try going one more day than you normally would...so if you wash every other day, wash every third day etc. It''ll feel weird at first but your hair will love you for it.

I have dyed and highlighted shoulder blade length hair. I wash it every 6 days and it really doesn''t look bad or feel bad. Honest. The hair stylists are always amazed at how good of condition my hair is given the amount of coloring/highlighting I do.

I also use the Infusium reconstructor...I put it in a spray bottle and use it after I wash & dry.
Hey, no offense, but every six days? Seriously, SIX? Do you have your hair up in a bun on the last few days? How do you manage your hair?

I usually wash my hair every other day. Maybe three days if I only have to run out for a short while. Hubby is always telling me that I''m blessed with a non-greasy scalp. I can go for a couple of days without washing my hair and it will look fresh; on the third day it will feel a little weighed down and by the fourth it becomes noticeable so I need to brush it out really well, tie it up, or wear a hat. I agree that washing less frequently will give you great hair, but I think you are the reining queen in that arena! Are there tricks that you use to keep your hair clean?

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 12:38:44 AM
Author: onvacation

Hey, no offense, but every six days? Seriously, SIX? Do you have your hair up in a bun on the last few days? How do you manage your hair?

I usually wash my hair every other day. Maybe three days if I only have to run out for a short while. Hubby is always telling me that I''m blessed with a non-greasy scalp. I can go for a couple of days without washing my hair and it will look fresh; on the third day it will feel a little weighed down and by the fourth it becomes noticeable so I need to brush it out really well, tie it up, or wear a hat. I agree that washing less frequently will give you great hair, but I think you are the reining queen in that arena! Are there tricks that you use to keep your hair clean?

I usually go 5 days without washing my hair, there are different products on the market to make the hair look fresh, they are kind of powdery and you spray it on the roots, I use one by John Frieda, I use it for the last day or two before washing.

I have long curly hair, a bad combo, so it''s not supposed to be washed to often.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 5:23:16 AM
Author: Lill_The_Thrill

Date: 11/17/2008 12:38:44 AM
Author: onvacation

I usually go 5 days without washing my hair, there are different products on the market to make the hair look fresh, they are kind of powdery and you spray it on the roots, I use one by John Frieda, I use it for the last day or two before washing.

I have long curly hair, a bad combo, so it''s not supposed to be washed to often.
I am sooooo jealous!! I have to wash my hair every day, sometimes twice a day!! I have a very greasy scalp (and yes, I''ve tried all kinds of shampoos for oily scalp, doesn''t work!!
7.gif
) and if I don''t wash my hair every day, it looks as if you can fry chips in my head...TMI, I guess!!
6.gif
4.gif

To answer your original question, Ellen, I have dry ends (from all the colouring), or at least I did ''til I had most of my hair chopped off recently. I find Clairol conditioner for damaged hair exceptionally good. I can''t live without it. I also used a serum at one point (I forget the name, but it''s generic enough) it''s almost oily, but very good for dry ends. My friend S who has extremely dry hair swears by it. I''ve also tried regular hair wraps/ treatments but find these a total waste of time, just my own experience though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have no luck finding the L''Oreal Professional series...boohoo; so I use Kerastase instead.
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 8:13:32 AM
Author: Phoenix

I am sooooo jealous!! I have to wash my hair every day, sometimes twice a day!! I have a very greasy scalp (and yes, I''ve tried all kinds of shampoos for oily scalp, doesn''t work!!
7.gif
) and if I don''t wash my hair every day, it looks as if you can fry chips in my head...TMI, I guess!!
6.gif
4.gif

To answer your original question, Ellen, I have dry ends (from all the colouring), or at least I did ''til I had most of my hair chopped off recently. I find Clairol conditioner for damaged hair exceptionally good. I can''t live without it. I also used a serum at one point (I forget the name, but it''s generic enough) it''s almost oily, but very good for dry ends. My friend S who has extremely dry hair swears by it. I''ve also tried regular hair wraps/ treatments but find these a total waste of time, just my own experience though.
Ok, that cracked me up!
9.gif
Thanks for chiming in miss. I''m going to get my hair done today, and have a list of recommendations from here to see if she carries any or can get one in easily. Will let you all know what I end up with.

And even as dry as my hair is, there''s no way I can go more than a couple days. By day 3, it''s getting "ewy".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results