shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

I haven't dusted my house in over a month, so I've got plenty of extra to send your way!! :bigsmile:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, everyone. Your dust is in a special place along with your good wishes.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Uppy, thanks for the link on FB and inviting me to join in.... I just had my 59th birthday in August, so I am one of the older members I'm sure. I'm fairly new to PS and up until now have only posted and lurked on the colored stone forum. Uppy and I have done a bit of buying/selling/trading of pretties in the past, so I feel like we know each other, even though we have never met in person.

I can relate to many of your posts and am tempted to respond with lots of advice and comments, but I find as I've gotten older that I seem to have advice or opinions for almost everything, which is NOT a good thing I'm sure. It's something I have to watch out for, or I end up giving my opinion when it's not really requested or needed (just ask my husband or my 33 yr old son who is currently living with me and his step-dad... now THAT could be an entire thread of it's own, but I digress) .... I guess I've just been around long enough and been through enough I think some one else might give a rat's butt about what I think, when in reality they would probably just as soon I keep my thoughts to myself.... BUT, maybe I've found some kindred spirits on this forum, so I'll try to keep them (my opinions and comments) to a minimum.

I do have some advice to any of you with any symptoms that may be related to peri-menopause / menopause. Do a LOT of reading and educate yourself and then go to a GYN that will listen to you. I'm a big proponent of bio-identical hormones, and I know they aren't for everyone, but at the vary least, do some reading on the subject... there's a lot of info out there, but you do have to weed through the crap. I've been on a bio-identical estrogen patch for almost 9 years and it saved my sanity (or more likely, it saved my husband's sanity). I had my uterus (but not my ovaries) removed when I was 33, so because I didn't have periods, peri-menopause kind of sneaked up on me and then proceeded to kick my butt!

By the time I got to a decent GYN my hormones (estrogen/testosterone/progesterone) were pretty much non-existant and it took about 6 months for me to find that "sweet spot" of how much to use and for me to feel human again.... I didn't however, loose the 20lbs I managed to gain before I finally got on HRT.

I did manage to loose most of those 20 lbs earlier this year, but I truly believe if I would have been on top of things, I would never have gained the weight in the first place. My older sister discovered that several of her symptoms that she just put off to getting old were actually due to hormone imbalances and once she got herself on track, most of them went away.

If you haven't gotten any symptoms yet, and your body is just perking along like usual, I suggest you get your hormones tested NOW, so you have a baseline to compare with when they start to go whacky on you.... I didn't have that, so I had to experiment with dosages.

:wavey: waves "hi" to all of my east coast friends who can't sleep.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your stories. It's really helped me to understand what my mom and grandma are going/went through and are probably too embarassed to mention to their 25 year old son/grandson. I come from a very young family, my mom is 47 and my grandma is 66, so all the women in my life fit this age group. While I don't have any stories or really any way to relate, I wanted you to know you're appreciated by some young'uns and that I'll be sending some good thoughts the way of anyone who needs it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, sleep is elusive even when you have been up since 3am (the previous day), worked, packed, and traveled for hours, which is what I did yesterday. I'm currently in "green" hotel in another city. Nice little boutique hotel, but it doesn't extend to having a bed that I can comfortably sleep in. Of course in fairness, pretty much no one does. :sick:

I sure miss the days when we could blithely stay at the cheapest accomodations. Now roughing it is anything less than a 4-star. ;))

Right now I feel like hammered poo, but I'm determined to have a great day in spite of it. We're here for a British car show and the museums, and the food.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend. :mad: :) :bigsmile:

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:
Yes, sleep is elusive even when you have been up since 3am (the previous day), worked, packed, and traveled for hours, which is what I did yesterday. I'm currently in "green" hotel in another city. Nice little boutique hotel, but it doesn't extend to having a bed that I can comfortably sleep in. Of course in fairness, pretty much no one does. :sick:

I sure miss the days when we could blithely stay at the cheapest accomodations. Now roughing it is anything less than a 4-star. ;))

Right now I feel like hammered poo, but I'm determined to have a great day in spite of it. We're here for a British car show and the museums, and the food.

Would love to hear a report on the cars Ksinger. I just adore vintage British cars, being a vintage Brit myself, especially a Mk 2 Jag and Triumph Stag.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:

Would love to hear a report on the cars Ksinger. I just adore vintage British cars, being a vintage Brit myself, especially a Mk 2 Jag and Triumph Stag.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

colorluvr said:
If you haven't gotten any symptoms yet, and your body is just perking along like usual, I suggest you get your hormones tested NOW, so you have a baseline to compare with when they start to go whacky on you.... I didn't have that, so I had to experiment with dosages.

That sounds like very good advice colorluvr. The madness, sorry menopause, has so far not stopped at my door, so I think I will try and get my hormones tested. Don't hormones fluctuate? How do they test them. Are we talking a simple blood test? Will my GP be able to order the test or do I need to see a gynaecologist?

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Marian, just finished reading your post about your test results and sending tons of dust your way. I am sure that everything will be fine. I know it is just the waiting that is frustrating and nerve wracking.

Someone hurt my feelings very badly this morning and I have just been weepy for the past couple of hours.

Looks like we have some young groupies hanging on our old folks thread. That is somewhat refreshing.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hugs to you Soocool!

Marian, ~~~Boobie dust~~~( @ )Y( @ )~~~

Oh, I forgot, Uppy, what a crazy school! I can't imagine..school was nothing like that when I was going. We're a smaller area tho, but still.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gailey said:
Upgradable said:
All right, I promised to elaborate on my day from hell yesterday, and after a full nights sleep I think I'm ready to oblige.

As background, this summer my classmates and I celebrated our 30 high school reunion. We have a pretty good looking crew too, even if we have to say it ourselves. But, as I've mentioned before, I'm running the Pack Shack (snack shop) at my kids' high school, and it has given me more than a glimpse into the teenagers of today. And there are more than a few times I've had to stop and reprocess what I've just seen and heard.

This week was the cross town rivalry football game. In a college town that has just two high schools this has turned into a really big thing. However, it is not limited to an on the field rivalry. This week there was a knifing and an arrest during during lunch hour. The two high schools have to change their lunch hours during the day of the game so there will be no confrontations! It blows my mind what should be a good natured time for sportsmanship has become a reason for vandalism and violence!

We also had the obligatory assembly yesterday. It was a lot of fun, and I must say that I am blown away by the quality of the drum line, band, and chorus. They are college level performances! However, the pom pon girls performance left me with my jaw hanging down to the floor. I was on the pom squad for all four years of high school and we worked very hard and were very well respected. We performed routines to popular songs as well as pieces performed by the band. But all these girls were doing was shaking their asses and popping their boobs. When did that become "performance level"? This squad has won national titles and it's all about wiggling their T&A??? Appalling!

Many of these girls, along with the cheerleaders and other popular girls have this thing about wearing a white bow on the left side of their head. Now, I'm not talking a quite little bow, but a Theresa Guidice, fist sized grograin bow!! We call them the bow heads. The are also often loud and screechy, screaming when they see a friend across the commons and running and hugging each other. Nauseating!

This is going to get me started on all manners of bizarre behaviors and fashions that I don't understand. The boys are now wearing really tight, straight leg jeans that they belt right below the curve of their a$$. If they have to move fast at all, they look like the penguins from Mary Poppins, because they're trying to hold their jeans up by holding their thighs together! Some of them are in danger of having their business pop out the front these damned things are so low. When they come to the Pack Shack I tell them to "Pull up your pants! I don't want to know what your boxers look like!" Apparently this trend started in prison where inmates advertised that they were open to sexual favors from or by other prisoners. Yeah! That's what I want my kid emulating.

Then there are the roaming packs of lesbians. Now I have no problem whatsoever with a persons sexual preference. What I do have a problem with are their social behaviors. These seem to be the new "gangs" in our area. When they find a young, socially awkward girl, they target her for membership. Then the roam the halls in these great, loud packs, cursing and making fun of other kids and getting into fights. They are scary!!

We also have the few random cross dressers and transgendered kids. Interestingly enough, they are not made fun of or harassed at all. They usually have a couple of very good friends they hang around with all the time. Sometimes there are wigs. Makeup is mandatory, and their addressed as they sex they have chosen. Interesting.

Does this sound like the high school environment you experienced? Yes, every day I am reminded how old I am. Thank you NNHS Class of 2011 for rubbing my nose in it. :cry:

Holy Sh*t, I've led a sheltered life!

The most outrageous thing I did in school was sew a great big G in red knicker lace on the front of my school uniform green cardi!

I was going to say the same thing, but then I know I led a sheltered life going to Catholic school from kindergarten thru 12th grade. The wildest thing anyone ever did was smoke in the girl's bathroom! and of course the nuns had the mandatory heart attack. Boy how things have changed.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

risingsun said:
Thank you to everyone for their lovely comments on my ring. It's always so nice to hear :)) An update on the nuclear mammogram. They did find a spot. The radiologist told me that there is a 95% chance that it is nothing to worry about. I have to return next week for an ultrasound and, possibly, a biopsy. Some PS dust would be much appreciated! I was supposed to go to the pain clinic next week and I need to find out if the additional tests should be done prior to the pain treatment. Unfortunately, the test today triggered the pain in my ribs. I think I'll take a few painkillers and hope that they don't bother my stomach. I plan to watch "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" followed by "I'm Not Dead Yet." The Pythons are good medicine and so is this thread.

Marian, you are always in my prayers. Please try to focus on the 95% chance that it's nothing. Only positive thoughts allowed. I know alot of women who have gone through exactly the same thing. Geez, collectively, we've already been through so much. I went for my pre-op visit with my PCP (who is also my cardiologist) yesterday and he's recommending me to a different type of cardiologist for something else. I haven't been on the computer much in the past two days, but I will catch up later and write a longer post.

Positive thoughts. No room for what ifs!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I want to personally welcome my friend Cololuvr :wavey:

She's a wonderful lady who took more than a little convincing to venture into the scary land of Pricescope! I'm so glad you're here though!! You will fit in perfectly!!!!

And Davi, thanks for sharing your respect for your mom and grandmother. If we can help give you any insight into their mindset and seemingly "wacky" behaviors, we've done our job!!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

soocool said:
Marian, just finished reading your post about your test results and sending tons of dust your way. I am sure that everything will be fine. I know it is just the waiting that is frustrating and nerve wracking.

Someone hurt my feelings very badly this morning and I have just been weepy for the past couple of hours.

Looks like we have some young groupies hanging on our old folks thread. That is somewhat refreshing.

Stick with us Soocool, we will try and make you feel better - feel the love! Alternatively, we could insult you so badly that you will think whoever was nasty to you earlier was just a peach. And if neither of those work, I'll haul DF back in here and insist he gives us the male version of what it's like to be an old codger.

Meanwhile here is the standard British treatment for all things bad.

Hugs XXXX

cup o tea and biccie 02.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:
I want to personally welcome my friend Cololuvr :wavey:

She's a wonderful lady who took more than a little convincing to venture into the scary land of Pricescope! I'm so glad you're here though!! You will fit in perfectly!!!!

And Davi, thanks for sharing your respect for your mom and grandmother. If we can help give you any insight into their mindset and seemingly "wacky" behaviors, we've done our job!!!

Welcome to Cololuvr. Awesome inaugural post :wavey:

And Davi, how refreshing to hear a worthwhile male comment in here :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Welcome colorluvr! Glad you've jumped into the fray, the more the merrier as they say! (hey, that rhymes)

Davi, thanks for such a sensitive, insightful post. I'm impressed by the understanding and sensitivity of the younger posters. I was such a cocky little thing when I was in my 20's. I was about 25 and working in a public school as a speech therapist and one of the teachers turned 50. I'm ashamed to admit to thinking at the time how "old" 50 was, and how thankful I was to be in my 20's. What was I thinking, that I was going to stay young and beautiful forever? That I had some kind of Dorian Gray mirror up in the attic that would keep me in my 20's permantently? Well, the laugh is on me, because here I am, 50 years old. And I feel terrible about how insensitive I was back then. I guess at the time 50 just seemed so far away...but no more, here I am, 50 and trying to make the best of it! And that teacher is about 75 now, but I'm no longer cocky about it. With the way the years are flying by, 75 feels like it's right around the corner. Life is very strange.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks all, for the nice welcome... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and no, that's NOT a hot flash - I don't get those anymore as long as I'm "patched" up).

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock

colorluvr said:
I do have some advice to any of you with any symptoms that may be related to peri-menopause / menopause. Do a LOT of reading and educate yourself and then go to a GYN that will listen to you. I'm a big proponent of bio-identical hormones, and I know they aren't for everyone, but at the vary least, do some reading on the subject... there's a lot of info out there, but you do have to weed through the crap.

Welcome, Colorluvr. We are glad to "meet" you and pleased that Uppy managed to convince you to join us.

It's great to hear from someone who has had a good experience with bio-identicals. I have two friends who are a few years older than me (I'm 46 and suppose you would call me peri-menopausal), did all of the research and are very happy with the BHRT. I have a book (racking my brain as to where it is) on the topic and would be interested in any information that you have. I learn so much from other women!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Gailey said:
colorluvr said:

That sounds like very good advice colorluvr. The madness, sorry menopause, has so far not stopped at my door, so I think I will try and get my hormones tested. Don't hormones fluctuate? How do they test them. Are we talking a simple blood test? Will my GP be able to order the test or do I need to see a gynaecologist?

They can be tested by a simple blood test... the testing part is easy, it's the interpretation part that can be tricky, so I suggest a GYN that specializes in menopause, unless you have a good GP... problem with the first few GYNs that I went to was they were MORE OB than they were GYN (as in OB/GYN). One of the ones they sent me to at an HMO (sorry, not a fan of some HMOs) was a MIDWIFE for peet sake..... DID I LOOK LIKE I NEEDED A MIDWIFE? They asked me if I minded a nurse practicianer (sp?) as opposed to a GYN and I said no, thinking maybe a woman would have more of a clue what I was asking for.... but instead I got 5 minutes (HMO again) with a woman whose specialty was birthing babies...... sorry, been there, done that.....

When I changed insurances, I was able to find a GYN that specialized in hormonal/endrocrine/menopause problems and the rest is history... if anyone lives in SoCal or in the Sacramento area of CA, I can suggest two very good GYNs that specialize.

Yes they do fluctuate, so the doc may suggest having the test at a specific time of the month.... not sure about when cause I never got the chance to see what "normal" was for me.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Just heard from the hubster that it's time to take our dogs for a hike, but I'll check back in later to catch up......

thanks again for the warm welcome!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, thought I would say hi to my older counterparts on pricescope, I will be turning 50 in December and gosh where has time went, I swear I keep getting slower, cleaning house takes forever, my back aches all the time, I am getting weirds spots on my skin and memory sucks, I have a 13 year old son and I tell you what I have a whiteboard on my fridge to keep up with his activeties and all our appts, I would be lost without it....lol

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

diamondrnglover said:
Hi, thought I would say hi to my older counterparts on pricescope, I will be turning 50 in December and gosh where has time went, I swear I keep getting slower, cleaning house takes forever, my back aches all the time, I am getting weirds spots on my skin and memory sucks, I have a 13 year old son and I tell you what I have a whiteboard on my fridge to keep up with his activeties and all our appts, I would be lost without it....lol
A whiteboard is a GREAT idea!!! :o

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:
diamondrnglover said:
A whiteboard is a GREAT idea!!! :o

I have a white/corkboard in my laundry room for quick messages/updates/reminders and a large calendar in the kitchen and each one of us is a different marker color so we know who has what appointment at a glance. But I still need to keep a calendar in my handbag. DH tells me to use the calendar on my phone, but I need to be able to turn pages not screens.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Gailey said:
soocool said:

Stick with us Soocool, we will try and make you feel better - feel the love! Alternatively, we could insult you so badly that you will think whoever was nasty to you earlier was just a peach. And if neither of those work, I'll haul DF back in here and insist he gives us the male version of what it's like to be an old codger.

Hugs XXXX
Gailey, thanks I surely feel the love on here! Can I get a "shot" of something in my tea?

I was so upset this morning that now I am suffering from pvc's (my heart is now going beat, beat, beat, skip, beat, beat, beat, skip...) and it makes me feel lousy. If I remain calm hopefully they will go away soon. At least they are harmless according to my cardio.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

gemgirl said:
risingsun said:
Thank you to everyone for their lovely comments on my ring. It's always so nice to hear :)) An update on the nuclear mammogram. They did find a spot. The radiologist told me that there is a 95% chance that it is nothing to worry about. I have to return next week for an ultrasound and, possibly, a biopsy. Some PS dust would be much appreciated! I was supposed to go to the pain clinic next week and I need to find out if the additional tests should be done prior to the pain treatment. Unfortunately, the test today triggered the pain in my ribs. I think I'll take a few painkillers and hope that they don't bother my stomach. I plan to watch "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" followed by "I'm Not Dead Yet." The Pythons are good medicine and so is this thread.

Marian, you are always in my prayers. Please try to focus on the 95% chance that it's nothing. Only positive thoughts allowed. I know alot of women who have gone through exactly the same thing. Geez, collectively, we've already been through so much. I went for my pre-op visit with my PCP (who is also my cardiologist) yesterday and he's recommending me to a different type of cardiologist for something else. I haven't been on the computer much in the past two days, but I will catch up later and write a longer post.

Positive thoughts. No room for what ifs!

I'm working on it, GG. Please let me know what it going on with you. You are always in my prayers, too. Thanks to everyone for your support. The scinti-mammogram did a job on my already bruised ribs and I'm ready to spit nails! This all started with an episode of pleurisy in March. Since then, it's been one thing after the other. I'm ready for this to be done. I will try to be more positive. This is my third time down this particular road and the first two turned out to be benign.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Marian,
Sending tons of dust your way!!!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh said:
Marian,
Sending tons of dust your way!!!!

Thank you so much, Lisa. I appreciate your kindness.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

selfish me: i'm so glad to see the that this thread is going strong and the wide variety of issues and support. i'm thinking there has long been a need for this thread.....and i for one appreciate having it being "active" to the point of if not being the first thread in this forum at least being somewhere near the top and {here comes the really selfish bit} not having to search through all the other threads to find it.

MoZo

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soocool said:
Gailey said:
soocool said:

Hugs XXXX
Gailey, thanks I surely feel the love on here! Can I get a "shot" of something in my tea?

I was so upset this morning that now I am suffering from pvc's (my heart is now going beat, beat, beat, skip, beat, beat, beat, skip...) and it makes me feel lousy. If I remain calm hopefully they will go away soon. At least they are harmless according to my cardio.

I hate when something happens to provoke my arrhythmia. I know exactly how you feel. The best thing to do is to try to stay as calm as possible. I've had PACs and PVCs for years. In fact last November, I had four days straight of just PACs with no normal beats in between. Talk about a party going on in my chest! So annoying! Do you have something to take to try to help you relax when they act up?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi to all. I've been out playing today! Had breakfast, then went to the car show. Alas, it won't really get into high gear (har) until tomorrow, so we decided not to hang around. We did see a swell Jag MK-2 however (Gailey), a very nice MG-C, and a Morris 8 - from the 30's sometime? Neat old car. Hubs called it a "sit up and beg saloon car". Petrolheads. Tsk.

From there we wandered around downtown looking for a cool secondhand store he read about in Esquire. We couldn't find so we traveled to the toney shopping district, wandered about, spent time and money in a B&N, then found Swirk's, a favorite jeweler, where the saleslady and I chatted endlessly and she cleaned my rings,let me try on anything I fancied, suggested cool pieces she thought I might like, and then suggested a fabulous lunch spot for my husband and me. And it WAS. Possibly the best burger I've EVER had. It was crusted with coffee grounds, glazed with a Guinness reduction, and had Boulevard Wheat sauteed mushrooms, and Guinness infused aged white cheddar. We split it, and it was to die for.

Then we tried again for the secondhand store (armed with better directions). We found the one we thought it was originally, but then my husband said, "well, all the high-end stuff is in their OTHER store." I was like, ok, why did we come here then, but we did end up going into a few fun antique stores nearby, so that was good.

From there we went to the farmers' market, which is very good, wandered around bemoaning the fact that Oklahoma has and never will have, anything that cool. To make ourselves feel better we got a gelato(him) and tiramisu(me) from the Italian market store there and sat down to watch the vendors dicker with the veggie buyers. Then we came back to the hotel to rest and have cocktails.

Fun day huh?

Who says we older folks don't know how to par....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............. ;))

Welcome to colorluvr! Marian and SooCool, I'm thinking of you. Junebug, that 50 year-old teacher just thought, like we do now, "Why bother to say anything to the cocky little chit. TIME will take care of her." And it did. Just like it does with all. So don't feel TOO bad. You could hardly help it. You didn't have enough planet time to get real humility.

OK! Off for 2 free cocktails! Everyone wish me luck that tonight is not one of those nights when alcohol makes me feel bad. I need a freebie tonight!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results