shape
carat
color
clarity

Diaper bags

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I've been on the hunt for a new diaper bag, and can't seem to find the perfect one!

So, what do you have, how big, and what do you put in it?

Now that Kyle's a toddler I don't have near as much crap in my diaper backpack, so I want to downsize, but all I can find are monsterous bags that are larger than my child!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Not Rational bag, the Hansel I think? I carry a bunch of little stuff in it, 99.9% of which we never actually use. And it's not that big, but it's big enough...I have not needed a larger bag. I also wanted a DB that didn't look like a DB...so I can use it as a purse afterwards if I need to. Also, people mentioned the DB gets really gooey and gross, but we have not had that issue (yet?) so it's basically still pristine.

Oh I should also admit that I stuff things into his carseat like a blanket, a diaper/burp rag and a toy whereas when we don't have that carseat anymore(portable) then I guess it'll have to go into the diaper bag.

How long do you use a DB for anyway? I assume til like maybe 3 years old max?

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
I use the Skip Hop Via Messenger Diaper Bag for our 9 month old son. It's basic but has lots of pockets and places to store bottles, dirty diapers, etc. and it's a very manageable size. We used to have a much larger bag and I found that we would stuff it with more than we ever used.

We typically keep 1 outfit, 2 onesies, 1 bib, sunscreen, a freezer bag full of bottle parts and a few bottles full of water, a small formula dispenser and snacks like yogurt puffs and teething biscuits, few small toys, diapers and 2 diaper cloths and a small digital camera. Oh, and a $20 bill (in case we're stuck somewhere and need a cab or something)

41g9HISvlzL__AA300_.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
We have a PBK Ultimate Diaper Bag: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/ultimate-diaper-bags/?pkey=bdiaper-bags. It's pretty roomy. We generally stock it with a couple of diapers, wipes, a wet bag, sunscreen, sippy, water bottle for me, extra outfit, a few small toys, some snacks, my wallet, my phone, sometimes a carrier. It's masculine enough that DH is fine being the one carrying it around, and it's easy to throw around your torso so that you don't have to work to keep it up on one shoulder if you have a short walking child who really wants to hold your hand. My main complaint is that it doesn't close well if it's overstuffed, but honestly most bags don't work too well if you overstuff them.

Ours is also pretty pristine after 15 months of regular use. Sometimes Cheerios will fall out of our Snack Trap, but I just turn the bag upside down and shake them on out. I'm not sure how it would get all gooey?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love my Not Rational Bag...it's the only one I still use after over 2 years. Kind of overkill early on (you really don't need much) but so useful over the long haul. I use it for a work bag, travel bag, etc.

I have had bags from Ju Ju Be and Fleurville. Take it from someone who was obsessed with diaper bags for awhile...you don't need much, and I have yet to have a bag get "gooey". Ziplocs are your friends.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto the Ziploc, I keep 1-2 in the bag and use them for dirty diapers or anything that is moist etc.

In ours: sunblock, pacifier, paci clip, burp rag, romper or tshirt, 2-3 diapers, wipes in a ziploc, his sunglasses, diaper cream, a lip gloss for me, formula powder container, toy or teething ring, lovey, my wallet/clutch with ID, cc's etc, my iPhone, and then usually a bottle of water (so I can mix formula for a bottle on the go).

all of that does not take much room so far.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Lately, I've been using a LV messenger bag that I've had since my college days. It's not meant to be a diaper bag, but it wasn't really doing much in a drawer in the closet. Plus, the diaper bag choices for men are rather ugly.

The twins are 2, and we don't do diapers anymore, they're both fully potty trained. In the bag I usually have hand sanitizer, lotion, first aid/medicines, baby wipes, change of clothes, sunscreen, Ziploc bags, sippy cups, snacks, bottled water, and a toy for each. If I'm with them, I throw my wallet, iPhone, sunglasses, and lip balm in.

I agree with everyone in that Ziploc bags are great. If they waste something on them, I just put it a bag and seal it. When they used their sippy cups, we put them in a bag just in case something seeps out.

I was in the new men's Coach store on Bleecker Street (NYC) a month or so ago, and they had these nice tote bags that don't look like they come from Coach (no Cs). I didn't buy one, but I want to find a nice solid black bag, preferably leather, because Nate still kind of complains about the bag that we have.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I've had a few. First I had a Coach multipurpose tote. I bought it while I was pregnant and thought it would multitask well later. As it turned out, it's not very comfortable. I couldn't stand it after a couple weeks even though it is cute. I need to ebay it. I used a reguar messenger bag for a while (non diaper). It actually worked great, but I didn't love the look since I am using it as my purse too. I like to carry a cute bag. Then I used a Kate Spade really simple black bag for almost a year. I think it was called the Abigail style (discontinued now, I got in on clearance.) It was perfect except that it doesn't zip closed and I felt like I was always spilling things out of the open top. Now I have a Petunia Pickle Bottom Touring Tote. I LOVE it. I chose a pattern that looks like I would choose for a purse, and I have gotten compliments on my purse many times. People can't tell it is a diaper bag. Their "glazed" fabrics are more water resistant and more practical, but their brocade fabrics are more luxurious. They had some of both fabric types on rue la la yesterday - may still be up today if you are looking. I got mine on sale from poshtots.com and was really happy with their customer service, and Petunia's, re: a warranty issue. They also make a shoulder bag and the "boxy backpack" which can be worn shoulder bag style, messenger style and backpack style for versatility. If you like the boxy backpack, they have some on the nordstrom anniversary sale right now for $99 (reg price is $167). I like how the Petunia bags are well designed. My touring tote is really versatile that you can carry it on a long strap (long enough for cross body), short strap, and it also includes straps to hook it to the stroller. I cannot recommend this bag enough, seriously! I am trying to talk myself out of picking up another color, I love it that much!

ETA I am a SAHM so my diaper bag is my purse. You might have different needs for your diaper bag if you are going to carry a separate purse and/or if you DH is going to carry it too. PPB also has a small diaper clutch if you really want something small. I noticed that they changed the strap style recently to make it convertible over the shoulder. If that is important to you I'd look for one with the new improved strap (vs an old one that you might find on sale).

To answer you question, I carry my stuff (wallet, keys, phone etc) and several diapers, wipes, some toys, and maybe a spare outfit, and his in case of emergency allergy supplies. Oh, and his sippy cup plus snack container. Water bottle for me. Plus the changing pad that comes with the bag - it's compact. I find that I carry almost as much stuff as when he was newborn, it is just different stuff.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I barely use a diaper bag. I carry a very small clutch that hangs from the stroller with 2-3 diapers and a ziplock bag of wipes. She gets her sippy cup which she either holds or goes under her stroller. And that's pretty much all I take out.

Now if we are going somewhere that requires more stuff, then I do use an oversized bag-whichever I can find.

I will say that I have been eyeing a bag from Etsy for a while. I love the print but I can't seem to bring myself to spend $60 on something that isn't really a "brand" KWIM?

Anyway, the seller is Hot Mama Handbags :naughty: Below is just an example of one of the prints and it comes with two compartments to hold bottles/sippy.

il_430xN_141737035.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
For a smaller diaper bag, I loved my Timi & Leslie. It was really cute so I could carry it as a purse/diaper bag. Check out eBags.com for great diaper bags & deals.

Now that I'm shlubbing stuff for an infant & a preschooler, though, I just got the Fleurville Mothership, which is the best bag if you're taking care of more than one kid.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just use a larger purse. I can't remember the last time I used a big diaper bag.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I've been eyeing up these two by Rosie Pope (the Madison Weekender and the London Shopper), but need to check them out in person at some point. I love the fact that they look like regular bags, but include the stroller straps.

RPM-S-10-Madison-Weekender-Diaper-Bag-View-1.jpg

RPM-London-Shopper-Diaper-Bag-View-1.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We originally had a diaper backpack, which DH picked out, and was great when I had to tote bottles and formula around. Then I switched to a sling backpack that my pedi friend gave us. I actually LOVE it, but the fabric on the strap is starting to come apart, and you can only wear it on the right shoulder, which happends to be my bad shoulder and it aches if I have the bag on too long. All I carry in there is a couple toys, wipes and 2 diapers, a jar or two of food, and his table mat. I just put my cell phone and wallet in the front and don't need a purse.

I just ordered a Jeep messenger style bag, and it looks way bigger than I expected. I think i'll go hunting for a purse instead...

Oh, and neither of the bags I've used are gunky at all, not sure what you'd do to get them that bad!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy crap, I almost passed out when I saw how much that Not Rational Bag cost! I guess that's why it's called Not Rational, huh?

I hate the look of diaper bags so we registered for the Skip Hop messenger. I haven't actually used it yet obviously but it seems like a good size. I think I probably will but something smaller for quick outings though.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
puppmom, most of us bought ours when they have their sale. It's usually half price. I paid 295 for mine and it's been totally worth it.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGal, I think that totally falls under the "would you rather purchase and discard five $50 diaper bags until you find the one you like or just buy one for $295 that you know you'll love?" All of these expensive baby things give me a belly ache though to be honest. I just keep telling myself that we'll save lots of money on formula by breastfeeding, right? :bigsmile:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
puppmom said:
Holy crap, I almost passed out when I saw how much that Not Rational Bag cost! I guess that's why it's called Not Rational, huh?

This. I couldn't justify spending so much on something that will likely get destroyed when the baby is big enough to dump sippy cups in it. What for?

So I got a cheap $20 one from wal-mart. Brown with aqua polka dots, it has plenty of room even for when I have to leave him with grandma and stock it up - at least 10 diapers, a small can of formula, a bottle and cap, a couple outfits and socks, a paci, a bib, and a "chew" blanky for him to snuggle with and chew on. And room for me if I need to pick up mail or something.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having bought a few $50 bags and discarding them, in this case, I'm all for buying the one you love.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:
puppmom said:

This. I couldn't justify spending so much on something that will likely get destroyed when the baby is big enough to dump sippy cups in it. What for?

You counting on your kid being a slob MP? :tongue: My kid is 2 years and 3 months, and I haven't had her dump anything on my bag or in it. Plus straw sippies seem to leak less.

The newer NR bags have a cleanable lining in it. My is an old school one and has cloth lining and still looks awesome.

cara

Ideal_Rock
So a friend got me the Fleurville Lexi tote, which I like (presuming they send me the messenger strap which was missing initially!) but my husband makes faces at it, I am guessing b/c he doesn't want to be carrying a girly bag. So how big a deal is this? Do I really need to get an androgynous bag? Or two bags? Blen's PBK messenger bag is a nice solution, but I'd rather keep the Fleurville gift bag if it were just me. What do other dad's do? Suck it up and occasionally carry their partner's non-masculine-at-all diaper bag? Never carry the diaper bag? Have their own?

I'll be taking a longer leave than him (~3 mo), but hopefully will be working after the initial breakin period, though hubs will be working much longer hours. I imagine we'll be hanging out together with the kiddo on most weekends however.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal said:
MonkeyPie said:
puppmom said:

You counting on your kid being a slob MP? :tongue: My kid is 2 years and 3 months, and I haven't had her dump anything on my bag or in it. Plus straw sippies seem to leak less.

The newer NR bags have a cleanable lining in it. My is an old school one and has cloth lining and still looks awesome.

I'm with Mara and T-Gal. I'd rather pay more for something nice and have the option to use it after the baby, than something cheap. The bags from Rosie Pope will be something I can reuse that won't scream diaper bag. Both bags also have a removeable, washable lining just in case.

Plus, everything I've done for the past 6 months and will do for the rest of my babies' lives will be for them so, why not do something for me on a rare occasion. ;))

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
cara said:
So a friend got me the Fleurville Lexi tote, which I like (presuming they send me the messenger strap which was missing initially!) but my husband makes faces at it, I am guessing b/c he doesn't want to be carrying a girly bag. So how big a deal is this? Do I really need to get an androgynous bag? Or two bags? Blen's PBK messenger bag is a nice solution, but I'd rather keep the Fleurville gift bag if it were just me. What do other dad's do? Suck it up and occasionally carry their partner's non-masculine-at-all diaper bag? Never carry the diaper bag? Have their own?

I'll be taking a longer leave than him (~3 mo), but hopefully will be working after the initial breakin period, though hubs will be working much longer hours. I imagine we'll be hanging out together with the kiddo on most weekends however.

We had a diaper backpack initially since DH wanted something he could carry. After 17 months I finally realize that I'm the only one that ever carries the dang bag anyway, so I might as well like it! When I brought home the new bag last night and complained about the size, DH said "Why don't you just find a big purse to use?" OK then, I will! You could just get him a normall backpack if he'll be out with the baby alone. When we go out it's either me and the kid, all three of us, or I leave the baby home with DH. When we're out together, DH carries the kid and I carry the diaper bag.

Although I don't think I could bring myself to spend $300 on a diaper bag, no matter how much I like it. I've never spent more than $30 on a purse! I'm thinking $50 is my max... Time to go to Ross/TJ Maxx and comb the purse aisles I guess.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MG, I am not a purse ho and don't spend big money on stuff like that. But a diaper bag is something I needed to carry (well, just a bag filled with the kid's stuff, YKWIM). It needed to be functional, light and something I loved. There are actually plenty of bags that do that job (I think the skip hop ones are great) but I fell in love with the burgundy NR bag. I rarely fall in love with anything, and treat myself even less, so that was my one big splurge.

cara, just have your DH use a backpack...most guys own one. When you're together, you'll be carrying the diaper bag most of the time...it just seems to work out that way. He'll carry the kid. ::)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
MonkeyPie said:
puppmom said:

Yes. LOL. He's a boy - I fully expect things like dirt and bugs and half-open cups.

The bag I got is sturdy, lined, and it's cute. It's just cheap. I bought myself a regular Coach for me instead of a big bag - I figured once he outgrows the need for a bag, I won't! And I usually don't carry big purses, either, so maybe that was my biggest thing. I'm short so a big bag overwhelms me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, I think it's nice you treated yourself to SOMETHING. :appl:

When Amelia was young (before 6 months), I didn't need a big bag at all. In fact, I carried a very small diaper bag. As she gets older, there's more stuff. Now, as a toddler, some things are easier (no need to bring her food to restaurants...we just eat there), but you start packing the bag with "diversions". Snacks, simple toys, etc.

You can always stock that stuff in the car too, which helps keep the bag you carry very manageable.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
It totally depends on your POV.

On one hand, you don't need an expensive bag. You don't even need an actual diaper bag. Just a tote with some ziplocs and you're good to go.

On the other hand, I personally love bags and carried the diaper bag rather than a purse for the first 3-6 months of his life. I changed a LOT about my life and having a bag that I loved made me feel more like "me". But it's not necessary.

I was given the Skip Hop bag that hangs over the stroller and a Diaper Dude for shower gifts. The Skip Hop was great for walks and such, but was too narrow for longer outings. The Diaper Dude just wasn't my thing.

I ended up buying a Not Rational bag during the sale and I love it and still use it. O is 11 months and it's totally clean. I've never spilled anything on it or in it.

I also have a smaller Land's End tote that I was given as a gift that I use all the time.

So in summary:

Skip Hop bag that stays on the stroller with diapers, wipes, minor things needed for a walk. Btw, have never changed his diaper on a walk.

NR Diaper bag for longer outings/airplane, etc.

Land's End tote for running to the pool, etc.

Things I put in diaper bag:
Diapers/wipes/disposable changing pad all in ziploc bag
Change of clothes
Bib/disposable placemat/snacks in ziploc bag
A few toys
A book
Pacifier
Extra bottle
Puffs
A clutch for me

I have a small clutch that has all my stuff in it and I just transfer it from work bag to diaper bag to purse.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I am kind of a purse Ho but I disliked regular diaper bags...so I wanted something that looked like a purse and could function like a purse OR work bag, when kiddo was done with it. Also, I tend to just have bags re-finished so I can keep using them...which I would do with the NR--aka it's easy to have someone just put new lining into it in a few years. I just had a bag from Germany redone with all new zippers, clasps, and had them treat the leather. It looks like new.

Also--so many peeps told me they bought 3-4 bags first before finally settling that I just figured I'd do myself a favor and buy one bag that was expensive enough to keep me from shopping around. I also don't have a LOT of bags, am more into quality than quantity, and I don't switch out my bags more than once a year so I didn't feel like I needed any variety. When I was home with J (til month 4) my DB was my purse but I just would toss a clutch in there and be done.

Some Moms just use big purses and I could totally see doing that too if you aren't sure.

Hopefully the kid will dump sippy cup and dirt into his STROLLER or mouth than my diaper bag ...but we'll see. :bigsmile:

OMG and BB that first bag is HUMMMOONGGGOUSS. But I have to remember you have 2 babes in there! Maybe it could double as a cradle!?

Fiery that bag is sassy! Super cute and perfect to carry with a cutie like S.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
CC, I didn't know you got a NR bag. Which one did you get?

I love it so much I'm thinking about getting another one if they have a sale. I know JCrow got one too. I may have started a PS momma trend! Hehehe.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, TG, I got the black Diesel maybe?

It was fate! I was desperately wanting one but refusing to pay that much money for it when you posted a thread about the sale. I think I got mine right before JCrow got hers. I got the shiny black one, I think there was a thread with you, MiraclesRule, Mara, JCrow and I were all discussing them, around last October. I think MR got a white one, if I remember correctly.

So THANK YOU Tgal! :appl:

Oh and full confession, I am a bag ho. And proud of it. :devil:

ETA: BLUSHING! I love those bags. :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh cool! The black diesel is one that I think I would want next. Practical for work too. Yes and MR got a white one for her daughter.

They have different leathers, and I think I'd like some better than others. I actually don't love their other bags, but hard to say when I haven't seen them IRL.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results