shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloth Diapers?

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I'm done! I found 6 Mirror on mybabypumpkin with no tax and no shipping!! What a productive day this has been. I spent $243 on 18 diapers that retail for $325. Not bad, that's $13.50 each.

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
rachel - Can I ask what is drawing you to G diapers over the other AI2s? I've never actually used them, but every diaper board I've seen has horrible reviews for them. I think most people get sucked in by how adorable they are, I know I almost did! But I couldn't get over the terrible reviews. The Flip system seems to get good reviews and is pretty much the same concept. I don't think anyone uses a wet pail because 1. you really don't need to and 2. it's not safe to have around a baby.[/quote]

For the g's I read a blog called Joyful Abode and the lady there did a series all about her love of the gdiaper and I guess they just seem really logical to me. I don't know why they are so appealing overall but I really like keeping the cover seperate and not needing to wash it each time, as well as keeping the PUL part seperate from the cotton cover. And with those blog posts I feel like I know more about them in practical terms than the others that I've only read the product descriptions for. I have heard the negatives so I think I will do one of the rental deals to start, along with buying just one or 2 of some other kinds before the baby comes. Still haven't decided if I want to start with cloth right away or wait a few weeks. I'm inclined to start within days of the birth to prevent rashes (I have pretty sensitive skin and get rashes easily) but then again it might be a lot to take on diaper laundry and first time parenting all at once. I guess it's jsut poop and pee on diapers, not rocket science, and generations of women before me did it with much less modern conveniences.

Someone mentioned soap nuts for washing diapers - any experience there? I am just finding out about them in general and am very intrigued. I wonder do they give any type of scent (like a nice clean laundry scent) to the clothes?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking to get some more Swaddlebees Simplex NB for Alice . . . let me know if anyone sees any good Earth Day sales! I sold 8 of my Lil Joeys and I'm looking to replace them with the Simplex, which is soooooo absorbent. Love it. The only catch is that the semidetached soaker doesn't always agitate out in the wash, so you have to get your hand dirty and pull it out if you want to be sure it washes that way.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
OK we have now been using Sylvie's "revised" stash for a full week, 24-7, and here are my thoughts...

BG 4.0: no problems with these so far, except that the H&L one has pilled on the inside INCREDIBLY quickly. No leaks but fairly bulky.

BG Elementals: No leaks, but very bulky on 12lb Sylvie and they take an AGE to dry, even longer than my Bambooty AIOs with sewn-in absorbency. Seriously, FOREVER. I'm also unsure how S feels about having the damp cotton against her skin. Not reaching for these very often at the moment - maybe more often as she gets bigger.

Charlie Banana: LOVE these. They are super-trim and with two microfibre inserts are doing a good job for her longer night sleeps. They fit her really well and I love the fact that the size adjusts with the leg elastic, so there's no extra bulk from front snaps. I know these are VERY similar to Fuzzibunz, but I am resisting buying any FBs because I like that the pocket on these opens at the front - therefore no poo inside pocket!

Bambooty AIOs: Still the workhorse of our stash, mostly because we have so many of them, but they are still really good on S. Now in Mediums, which will probably last her a couple of months. They are pretty low-rise - she grew out of the rise on the Small before she got anywhere near having them on the loosest waist setting. So I think the rise will be the limiting factor again this time.

Itti Bitti D'Lish AIOs: These are sized minky AIOs, so darn cute on! These are cut super-slim through the crotch, I was worried that they would leak because of it but so far, so good. I like that they have snap-in boosters.

Applecheeks: I used to love these, but lately they are leaking quite a bit. None of my other diapers are doing this, so I don't think it's a repelling issue or anything requiring a strip wash. I'm not sure whether it's because of the frilled gusset, ie. the wee is wicking out? These are lovely and soft on S but I'm not using them much because of the leak issue.

I really want to get some more CBs but we have about 35 nappies in rotation already!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
We've been using our diapers now for 7.5 months and they just started leaking :knockout: I am going to try and strip them tomorrow, otherwise I'm not sure what to do:( it's really just the applecheeks and AMPs that started leaking, but the AMPs are brand new and the Applecheeks have never been an issue before, they were our leakproof solution.

B has been having some accidents too, so maybe he's just peeing more, not sure...he doesn't seem to mind :rolleyes: but since we still co-sleep I am really sick of waking up in a wet bed :knockout:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bella!!! :wavey: , What will you use to strip the diapers? RLR? Something else?

Pancake, Wow! That's a lot of CDs to have in rotation!! I think we have 16-ish in rotation at the moment. Adding a few here and there to try out some different things.

Applecheeks -- Sorry to hear you ladies are having leaks! I just ordered my first Applecheeks (in the Delicious print :love: ) yesterday. Hoping it is a reliable nighttime CD for us. My swaddlebees have not been working so well in that regard.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Boo, sorry about the leaking problems!

I found the Simplex NB on Cottonbabies for 15% off, plus I stacked the "diapeswappers" code so they came to 18% off with free shipping. I just really thought there would be killer deals today (Cottonbabies' deal wasn't even advertised anywhere) but I guess not? In any case, I've driven myself crazy scouring the internet for them, so additional scouring to maybe save 2% more isn't worth it. I pulled the trigger. ;-)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PG - Good for you! I find that I spend way too much time looking for the best deals too! So, for Cottonbabies, was the 15% a marked down sales price? Or, is there a code for that? And, what's the DS code? I want to get a thirsties cover from them, and they also had a better pail liner print (pink giraffes!!) than the one I ordered yesterday (periwinkle), but I recognize there are worse problems in the world!!!!!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Question for the more knowledgeable mamas:

I just washed all my CDs in anticipation for the LO's arrival and discovered that my fuzzibunz and happy heinys inserts don't have any labels on them so I'm not sure which insert goes with which diaper. Does it matter if I just use them interchangeably?

yellowducky

Rough_Rock
Loves Vintage|1335098437|3177659 said:
PG - Good for you! I find that I spend way too much time looking for the best deals too! So, for Cottonbabies, was the 15% a marked down sales price? Or, is there a code for that? And, what's the DS code? I want to get a thirsties cover from them, and they also had a better pail liner print (pink giraffes!!) than the one I ordered yesterday (periwinkle), but I recognize there are worse problems in the world!!!!!

LV,
Not sure what kind of deal you're looking for, but I got a few thirsties duo wraps from divadiapers for a little under $10 each, though most are listed on sale for $10. (I had a small discount voucher from a previous purchase and had the minimum order, $50, for free shipping.) HTH.

YD

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
LV, DivaDiapers also has a 5% off code with "earth" and it can be used on sale and clearance items! ;-) I got that from their newsletter.

For Cottonbabies I just googled for a coupon code, and "bestdeal" and "diaperswappers" came up, but only the latter worked for me. I guess the first one doesn't work on marked down items? The Simplex were just listed at a discount on their "Sale" page. I only found them because I happened to look there (I'm often checking to see if they've started their Seconds Sale yet).

ETA: Just saw this on FB. Kissed by the Moon has 15% off of $22 or more and free shipping: EARTH15

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
This might seem like a stupid question, but why and how do you use swim diapers? Do you use a swim diaper and still put trunks on over them or are they used as swim trunks?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, YD! I've been wanting the blackbird cover for a bit. The best thing about that site is the Imse Vimse tankini tops!!! And, they were on sale!! I got one to match the swim diaper I have already!! I was so happy to see it because I check Mom's Milk Boutique every now and again, and it's never in stock there. I searched and searched, but couldn't find anything else there that I really wanted/needed, but didn't mind shipping cost since they were both on sale.

PG - Yay for the 5% off. I'm basically happy for any discount! :bigsmile:

Mayerling - I mix/match inserts all the time. I have a bunch of BGs that I bought as seconds, and I've never even had a BG insert. I'm still using size small FB inserts in those. Sometimes, I will use bamboo inserts or other larger microfiber inserts. Everything is a little mixed up! I'm sure there are some people who like to keep them together, but I am not so orderly!

A word on osocozy prefolds. Osocozy is oh-so-soft!! These are wayyyyyyyyy softer than the Zabi prefolds. I am not much of a pf cd-er, but if I had found these sooner, I might have had more to start. They'll be nice to have as a nice comfy natural fabric option in our stash. And, they will be oh-so-cute with that blackbird cover! :love:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Mayerling, I mix and match my inserts all the time! Whatever comes to hand first, as long as it fits in the diaper :)

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
LC, well I have girls so I put the suit over the diaper, but I suppose a swim diaper could be used as swim trunks.

FWIW, I just use a pocket diaper without the insert as a swim diaper (since all a swim diaper is is a way to contain poop). I've just heard you should dedicate one diaper to that purpose so you're not putting them all in the harsh pool chemicals.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
PhG, thanks for explaining what the swim diapers are. I know Kunzite used a Flip cover as a swim diaper. But since BM-poop is all runny and stuff, I imagine you can't really contain BM poop, huh?

Okay. My name is LC and I need a diaper intervention...In the past 2 wks, I made a stash infusion.

1. 2 Rearz fitted from Eco-baby-buys.com to fit my Thirsties hoot cover from PhG ($11-ish)
2. 1 OS Charlie Banana pocket from EcoBabyBuys.com (and one leg warmer) ($13-ish)
3. 2 Tot BOts Easyfit from ModernClothDiapers.com (at regular price, but a friend got me a gift certificate)
4. 1 OS Rumparooz AIO applix ($5 off: $18.50), 1 OS Imagine pocket ($9.95), BOGO Bumkins OS AIO ($18.95-->$8.50/diaper) from NickisDiapers.com
5. 2 Thirsties Duos AIO applix ($12 each) from DiaperDivas.com.

Some take my credit card away, LOL! I went on a buying binge because I'll need to return my rentals at end of May, and Ethan's already outgrown the TiniTots. Or that's what I'm telling myself...

So right now my permanent stash is:
1 Blueberry pocket (really like this one, and plan to look for more Blueberry specials)
1 Happy Heiny pocket (this one is OK, I've had a few leaks buy maybe it's because E's too small still)
1 Fuzzibunz (no leaks but DH prefers velcro to snaps)
2 Bum Genius (1 velcro, 1 snaps) (not bad, but rather bulky)
3 Flip covers (use with regular run-of-the-mill prefolds)
1 Thirsties Duo cover

Lastly: PSA, BabySteals is having a sale on Blueberry's diaper sprayer for $27.99. Must.... not... buy.... (But I can TOTALLY convince myself I should get this). Ladies, do I need help or what????

~LC

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
LC, I know what you mean. I completely went overboard with CD purchases during real nappy week. Please post pics of the stash. I love looking at fluffy stashes! :love:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
LV - I just love that print, we have two Duos in it and I was always reaching for it. :love: Gah, I just realized I can put the twinks in matching diapers :love: :cheeky:

LC - You can use anything for a swim diaper as long as it has a good fit. I know BG fits O well which is why I got the Flips. I'll just put a cloth wipe or something in it so the PUL isn't against his skin. You don't have to have swim trunks but I plan to, along with a swim top, just to keep as much sun off my pale baby as possible. If he's swimming indoors I'll skip the top, but his swim trunks are too cute to skip :)) That's a good deal on a diaper sprayer.

Speaking of Blueberries... I've grown to hate ours! They used to be my favorite, but as O has gotten bigger they just don't work for us anymore. He's too tall and skinny for them. His waist is so small that he's still on the smallest waist snap and we get "wing droopage" as a result. They could really benefit from a hip snap. The rise isn't much better, probably in combination with the waist problem. If we unsnap the rise he has a huge leg gap, if we snap it he leaks out of the top. We can't seem to win these days with them. As soon as the new BG get here they'll be permanently shelved until the twins are big enough to try them.

I got a call this morning from Bouncing Babies and the owner is going to bring my order to my house since she's local. How cool is that?! :appl:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! A personal delivery of cloth diapers! That's so exciting. Maybe she'll hook you up with some freebies since you're going to be cloth diapering 3 kiddies. :bigsmile:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom|1335284902|3179463 said:
OMG! A personal delivery of cloth diapers! That's so exciting. Maybe she'll hook you up with some freebies since you're going to be cloth diapering 3 kiddies. :bigsmile:

I know, right? So cool! Now if my other orders would just show up already </impatience>

If anyone is considering the Sassy color from BG, just be warned that it's not really a red. It's a really bright orange. In some lights it looks like a pure traffic cone orange, in others you can see that there is some red in it. I like orange, so I actually really like it. I just find the pictures on the Cotton Babies website to not be very true to life.

ETA - And to add... the Clementine isn't what I would consider an orange, it's got a lot of yellow in it. It looks like mac and cheese to me.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hooray, I got my two TotBots Easy Fits and my two Thirsties AIO. I want to swap out one of the Thirsties to the Blackbird print, I accidentally ordered the Owl print. But other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, I've been trying to prep a few best bottom hemp soakers and I've noticed that they tend to get very stiff after they dry. Do you think this is just a function of the fact that I line-dry or am I doing something else wrong? I'm a bit worried because this kind of soaker touches the baby's skin directly and it really doesn't feel soft at all. :confused:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayerling, There are probably more threads on the topic on DS, but I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1380520&highlight=bottom+hemp It would seem that it's a common issue with these, though, if I recall correctly, you are hanging to dry, right? They might soften up a bit more if they were dried in a dryer, but it sounds like they still wouldn't be super-soft. Perhaps it's the nature of the fabric? Haven't really researched the fabric softener that they mention in the thread I linked, but I do recall others have mentioned it on DS (I think in terms of softening up prefolds.) Not sure if anyone here has tried that brand, so thought a DS search might help.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LV. I might try a friend's dryer just to see if it makes a difference, otherwise I might just use them with a fleece liner. I was just surprised because I expected hemp to be naturally soft for some reason.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
LV - Did you see that Kissed by the Moon should have the v3 TotsBots in a week or two?! :naughty:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite|1336070222|3186746 said:
LV - Did you see that Kissed by the Moon should have the v3 TotsBots in a week or two?! :naughty:

Oh, nope, I didn't even know! I stopped checking after I bought my recent few new cds. I will take a look. Maybe they actually will be available here someday!!

I've been buying mama cloth on etsy instead! I know this is a sign of a boring life, but too much fun picking out different prints!!!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I have a chance to get some fuzzibunz for 25% off. They come with two minky inserts. Does anyone know whether minky inserts have to be prepped like hemp/bamboo/etc.?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm just bumping this because the fuzzibunz offer ends tomorrow...

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayerling, since minky is synthetic like microfiber, I think one wash should do it. They definitely gain absorbency over time but I think they're ready to use after one wash.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results