shape
carat
color
clarity

Britax Roundabout carseat question

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Is it as hard as it seems?

My husband and I went to look at one last night and while we liked it, it seems really hard, like it has hardly any padding. I know to most babies that won't matter, but Micah is all about the cushiness - he won't sleep on a hard surface, and since he falls asleep every time he gets in the car with me, I want something he will be comfortable in.

I chatted with a woman on Etsy that makes custom covers for it, and she said her covers come padded, so that will help. Is it at all possible to add padding to this carseat, though?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:

My husband and I went to look at one last night and while we liked it, it seems really hard, like it has hardly any padding. I know to most babies that won't matter, but Micah is all about the cushiness - he won't sleep on a hard surface, and since he falls asleep every time he gets in the car with me, I want something he will be comfortable in.

I chatted with a woman on Etsy that makes custom covers for it, and she said her covers come padded, so that will help. Is it at all possible to add padding to this carseat, though?

MP, I haven't seen the britax roundabout firsthand, but I own a marathon, boulevard and advocate. The padding on the britaxes seem to be more plush than some of the other carseats I've found. But yes, it's still not plushy cushy goodness.

As for custom covers...maybe it's fine, but I wouldn't mess with a carseat by adding anything not OK'd by the manufacturer.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
MonkeyPie said:

MP, I haven't seen the britax roundabout firsthand, but I own a marathon, boulevard and advocate. The padding on the britaxes seem to be more plush than some of the other carseats I've found. But yes, it's still not plushy cushy goodness.

As for custom covers...maybe it's fine, but I wouldn't mess with a carseat by adding anything not OK'd by the manufacturer.

I think our problem was that the Roundabout was right next to an Evenflo that was SUPER cushy, so my husband was like, "I want that one!" But I have read bad things about the Evenflo, and lots of good things about all the Britax seats. Arg.

I looked at the covers, and they don't seem to actually "touch" or move anything - she works from a pattern of the actual covers you can buy in stores, and it looks pretty much the same. The buckles and everything are not impeded. It's just a fun print :lol:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:
TravelingGal said:
MonkeyPie said:

I think our problem was that the Roundabout was right next to an Evenflo that was SUPER cushy, so my husband was like, "I want that one!" But I have read bad things about the Evenflo, and lots of good things about all the Britax seats. Arg.

I looked at the covers, and they don't seem to actually "touch" or move anything - she works from a pattern of the actual covers you can buy in stores, and it looks pretty much the same. The buckles and everything are not impeded. It's just a fun print :lol:

I get what you're saying. I made the decision to use a snuzzler with our infant carseat, although there are many posts/comments on the web that you're not supposed to add even the thinest fabric behind the baby in a carseat. I didn't quite see how it would matter, so I'm the last person who should tell you not to mess with a carseat.

Is the pattern actually approved by Britax though?

Burk

Ideal_Rock
What negatives have you read about Evenflo? We have all Evenflo Triumph carseats (6!!!) and have only read good things about them safety-wise (although I have read that some don't like the tightening devise, although I prefer it over the Britax carseats) and only had great experiences with them?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Probably not - she's just an Etsy seller so I doubt she even spoke to britax about it. It's this one: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStork

She has over 500 sales and great feedback, but that doesn't mean they are safe, it just means nothing has happened. I really wish I could look at them in person, but from what I can see, they fit really snug so they wouldn't get in the way of anything. I know that if I don't get this or something similar, though, that I am going to end up with a blanket under his butt and head because he hates how hard it is, and that's even less safe. My spoiled rotten monkey always gets his way :rolleyes:

Burk, my negative with the Evenflo was that it didn't fit properly in my car according to reviews, not that there was anything wrong with it - it's just humongous lol.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:
Probably not - she's just an Etsy seller so I doubt she even spoke to britax about it. It's this one: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStork

She has over 500 sales and great feedback, but that doesn't mean they are safe, it just means nothing has happened. I really wish I could look at them in person, but from what I can see, they fit really snug so they wouldn't get in the way of anything. I know that if I don't get this or something similar, though, that I am going to end up with a blanket under his butt and head because he hates how hard it is, and that's even less safe. My spoiled rotten monkey always gets his way :rolleyes:

Burk, my negative with the Evenflo was that it didn't fit properly in my car according to reviews, not that there was anything wrong with it - it's just humongous lol.

And she says these are more plush than the regular covers?

Carseat covers seem fine, but again, I don't know why they say use the one from the manufacturer. I guess it could be stuff like the fabric (some others might be more flammable) or maybe there are exact specifications for the openings for the belt straps. Who knows.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, I see. You had me worried....I'm a total researcher and I was worried I missed something! :praise: They're def. not small...no carseat is really but you gotta go with what fits in your car. :D Good luck!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Burk, they'd have to be smaller than the advocate we just got. Holy mother of god, this thing is a spaceship!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha Tgal....might be a tad smaller than your spaceship, but we have 2!! :-o

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry too much about it MP. Sophia's First Year is really cushy and she loves it. But she is also really comfy in her Safety First and that has the standard padding.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I had J's carseat installed and was told if anything is done to alter a seat, there is an accident and the alteration is noted the garuuantee/warranty is null and void. The woman went so far as to remove the toys hanging from the handle. Extreme, yes, but just food for thought.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
KimberlyH said:
I had J's carseat installed and was told if anything is done to alter a seat, there is an accident and the alteration is noted the garuuantee/warranty is null and void. The woman went so far as to remove the toys hanging from the handle. Extreme, yes, but just food for thought.

:-o

Crap. Lol.

The cover is not supposed to be MORE cushy, but I was planning on putting it on top of the one already on the seat. Arg. I don't know. He will hate it and be upset every time he's in the car without it, but I would hate for something to happen. He sleeps SO WELL in the car right now and it's something I bank on when he's exhausted and I have to take him home.

Arg!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP you might be surprised at what he expects from the carseat and comfort. We got the BLVD and this thing is overkill. It has crazy side wings and an insert and J looks so uncomfortable in it because it's so padded. But it's supposed to be super safe sooo.

Did you check out the Cosco Scenera? It is what we are getting for the 2nd car seat for my Mom. It's like $55 and it has great reviews for safety and it seems pretty basic...but a lot of Moms also seem to have it for their first seat. If you are already looking at the Roundabout which is not that padded but still like $130, check out the Scenera at least to compare. Why spend $130 if the same thing padding wise (and safety) is for $50. And then if he hates it you can sell it or return it and find something else with more padding for a little more.

We used a Snuzzler for J when he was tiny but now he's bigger and we prob wouldn't use anything not approved for the carseat. I'm just too paranoid now that he's bigger and have heard so many horror stories.

Also I have read the First Years is another good one, not sure about padding.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:
KimberlyH said:

:-o

Crap. Lol.

The cover is not supposed to be MORE cushy, but I was planning on putting it on top of the one already on the seat. Arg. I don't know. He will hate it and be upset every time he's in the car without it, but I would hate for something to happen. He sleeps SO WELL in the car right now and it's something I bank on when he's exhausted and I have to take him home.

Arg!

MP, I heard the same thing from the guy who checked our carseat.

As for putting the carseat cover over the existing one, I'd say no. And no again. Even if her cover was entirely safe, it's meant to go over the carseat itself, not another cover. Honestly, IMHO, this is one of those things that your cutie pie is going to have to suck up. Give him a chance to get used to it. The convertibles are often more enjoyable to the babies than the infant carseat. They're cooler, roomier and generally more comfortable.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Haha! Oh, alright. I will talk to the girl on Etsy, too, to see if has spoken to Britax, but I doubt it! My poor baby's tush :cheeky: I guess he will survive!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:
Haha! Oh, alright. I will talk to the girl on Etsy, too, to see if has spoken to Britax, but I doubt it! My poor baby's tush :cheeky: I guess he will survive!

MP, if it's a serious issue for him, I say double diaper him! Use a nighttime diaper for extra padding. Heck, throw 5 pairs of pants on him as well!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
With winter coming up, that may not be such a bad idea, lol. Poor little guy, I can just see him wearing 5 pairs of pants and all poofy.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
The carseat you see in the store is the carseat the way it was tested and meant to be used. If you add anything to it- strap covers, padding, etc, it alters how the carseat would protect in a car accident. Not only does it void any warranty but if the carseat fails, the manufacturer cannot be held libel if anything was added. You can call Britax and they will tell you, no non-manufaturer add ons.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
MP, I have this carseat http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1st3cocars.html as my primary one, it has an extra butt cushion in the bottom, and seems pretty padded. I also wouldn't consider it all that huge, but I haven't seen it next to the bigger styles to say for sure. We've been using it for over a year now.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Wow, MustangGal, that is an amazing price and it looks like my husband would LOVE it. Thanks for the link!!!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
We have the Roundabout and George has never complained about his butt being not padded enough. :wink2:

As far as the covers go, or extra blankets for cushiness for that matter, they tested it in a crash with the cover that comes with it. If the other cover is plusher or if you throw in extra cushy things, they may compress more in a crash under the force of the baby's weight, making the straps effectively looser than you thought that they were. It's the same reason why you're not supposed to have coats on them when they're in the car seat -it can fool you into thinking that the straps are tight enough when they're not really, and so it may not perform as it should in a crash. I'd just go with the manufacturer-provided cover to be on the safe side.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Blenheim said:
It's the same reason why you're not supposed to have coats on them when they're in the car seat -it can fool you into thinking that the straps are tight enough when they're not really, and so it may not perform as it should in a crash. I'd just go with the manufacturer-provided cover to be on the safe side.

How do you put them in the carseat without a coat?! I never thought of this. He would freeze :(sad And any blanket put on top of him would be kicked off in seconds...

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
We have him in a sweater and then put a blanket on over him (over the straps). The blanket often gets kicked off, but we're usually able to warm the car up enough first that it's not that big of a deal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto warming the car up--it really is never that cold here but our car is garaged as well which i think helps.

seriously the car seat with tight straps seems SO uncomfy. i feel bad for the babes. though maybe they don't care!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
My understanding is that you should not add anything to a car seat. It can void the warranty and if god forbid you are in an accident and the carseat fails that you make it more difficult to seek recourse from the manufacturer because you have used the carseat in an unapproved manner even if the fault lies with the manufacturer. This includes attaching toys and or adding padding to the carseat.

I have a marathon (not very cushy), boulevard and a decathalon. Both of these are pretty darn cushy because of the extra padding that comes with them. They also have the neck protecting pads which are a must.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
random Q re the Boulevard, for moms that have it and have been using it for a while.

it has an insert with side wings... J fits in it fine now but i can see him outgrowing the insert within like 6-9 months. do we take it out then? but then we lose the side wing protection?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha... your baby weighs less than 20lbs, there is hardly any pressure on his little tush ;)) He will live. I think babies could sleep on a rock, if they had to.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
haha... your baby weighs less than 20lbs, there is hardly any pressure on his little tush ;)) He will live. I think babies could sleep on a rock, if they had to.

You have never met Micah, LOL! He absolutely loathes hard surfaces - he hates his crib mattress intensely. But if I put a blanket or two under the sheet to make it soft, he loves it and will stay in it even if he's awake. My Prince and the Pea!

So DH found a Safety 1st seat on CL and called the woman. She is selling it because she is coming into the city I live in for surgery on her 8 month old (exploratory for a heart murmur), and wanted some spending money to take him to the aquarium and the zoo before he goes in. Story totally broke my heart ;( He's going to go see it tomorrow. Never been in a wreck and she only used it for 3 months (she has to get a different one if they install tubes so it won't put as much pressure on the site - I think he has fluid buildup) and she got it about 5 months ago. So practically new. We shall see.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP... re a used car seat, people can SAY it's never been in an accident but I wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing for 10000%. Esp since they kid is supposed to use it for years. The cynic in me would say the story is sad but who knows if its true. Maybe I watch too much CSI.

BRU sometimes does 25% trade in specials for this very reason--they do it so that people won't recycle or re-use used car seats for safety reasons. Can you guys trade in your infant for a deal on a convertible?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results