shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Nurseries!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
thanks pupp. I love chocolate brown too. If we had a girl it was going to be pink/chocolate and if we had a boy light blue/chocolate. The blue on the walls is a bleached blue and I love it!!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Question for you ladies. We have two rooms vying for the role of nursery. Runner up gets guest room.

Choice #1 is on the outside corner of the house. It''s small and kind of oddly shaped, maybe 12'' x 10 on one end and 10.5 x 10 on the other end. It also has some feature on every wall: 1 standard window on one wall, one huge double window on another, a closet on the third and two doors on the fourth. It gets great light, is attached to the bathroom and is painted a neutral khaki.

Choice #2 is much larger, maybe 12 x 16. It only has one window so it''s darker than the other. It has two blank walls. One of these walls abuts our neighbors townhouse and you can at times hear noise from them and the other abuts our laundry room. It''s currently painted a lovely blue green. We''d most likely have to paint it to go with our boy bedding choice (same nautica bedding as Meresal''s).

Both have pros and cons, which would you choose?

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 10:30:47 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Question for you ladies. We have two rooms vying for the role of nursery. Runner up gets guest room.

Choice #1 is on the outside corner of the house. It's small and kind of oddly shaped, maybe 12' x 10 on one end and 10.5 x 10 on the other end. It also has some feature on every wall: 1 standard window on one wall, one huge double window on another, a closet on the third and two doors on the fourth. It gets great light, is attached to the bathroom and is painted a neutral khaki.

Choice #2 is much larger, maybe 12 x 16. It only has one window so it's darker than the other. It has two blank walls. One of these walls abuts our neighbors townhouse and you can at times hear noise from them and the other abuts our laundry room. It's currently painted a lovely blue green. We'd most likely have to paint it to go with our boy bedding choice (same nautica bedding as Meresal's).

Both have pros and cons, which would you choose?
We live in a condo so from my experience I would choose #1. When your little one is here you'll be begging for as much sleep as possible and I wouldn't want to risk the noise that could come w/ option #2. My DS room backs to our room, but our room backs to our neighbors
14.gif
I am sure DS would get ZERO sleep on the nights our neighbors decide to play music
20.gif
It never bothered me living in a condo until we had our son, I'm so much more aware of the noises from our neighbors (and worry they'll wake him).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks CDT. I should probably add that we will have the LO in our room for the first few months.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 11:05:12 AM
Thanks CDT. I should probably add that we will have the LO in our room for the first few months.
I''d still go w/ #1. But I''m a psycho when it comes to his sleep
9.gif
My son is also a light sleeper though so that factors into my opinion.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
HH, Which room is closest to yours? We have E in the room right next to ours, which makes it easy to pop in and check on him throughout the night if I need to. You might think you will have your LO in your room for a few months, but if your baby is anything like both of mine have been, you will be ready to move them into their own rooms sooner than you think....both my boys would wake up at any sound we made, and I would wake up with anything they did....we both sleep much better when they are in their own rooms. If it were me, I would go with the more light/less noise room, but if you choose the one with lots of windows, just make sure to get some blackout shades so they can nap without all the light coming in!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 11:10:56 AM
Author: FL Steph
HH, Which room is closest to yours? We have E in the room right next to ours, which makes it easy to pop in and check on him throughout the night if I need to. You might think you will have your LO in your room for a few months, but if your baby is anything like both of mine have been, you will be ready to move them into their own rooms sooner than you think....both my boys would wake up at any sound we made, and I would wake up with anything they did....we both sleep much better when they are in their own rooms. If it were me, I would go with the more light/less noise room, but if you choose the one with lots of windows, just make sure to get some blackout shades so they can nap without all the light coming in!

They''re equidistant from my room. They''re next to each other and our room is at the front of the house. Hmm...maybe we should move our room back there. We went with the front room because it was closest to the stairs and DH has this weird thing with wanting to be closest to the front door.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 11:23:14 AM

They''re equidistant from my room. They''re next to each other and our room is at the front of the house. Hmm...maybe we should move our room back there. We went with the front room because it was closest to the stairs and DH has this weird thing with wanting to be closest to the front door.

As long as there''s a bathroom next to the bigger room, that may be a good idea. You could take the larger room and use the smaller as baby''s nursery.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 12:33:02 AM
Author: Mara
thanks BB!! i love his nursery, i always feel happy in there so hopefully he will too (once he realizes it''s a fun place not just where we put him to sleep, hehe).

the kendall actually measures about the same as a lot of other cribs but i felt the same way about it looking smaller. i felt like the sleigh styles and a lot of other cribs would have overwhelmed the room because they are so commanding whereas the kendall is pretty simple. you could probably do the cribs on opposites sides of the room with your extra 3 feet. i also like the cribs mandarine has for her twins and how she has them set up in the room.

we did not get the changing table that goes with it because it was some ridiculous price for it''s size, but i think PB has dropped prices on a lot of their furniture recently. we got the PB camp dresser which i love but to me PB dressers are so pricey for what they are. BUT we got the honey color which is super hard to ''match'' so it was easier to just get a PB dresser. if you go with a white crib i would totally consider the ikea hemnes for the dresser...i thought about it in a blue but i am too matchy.

oh also PB has a changing table topper you can get for any of their dressers but it only comes in espresso and white not honey. just FYI.
Mara, I''m sure Julian will love it as much as you do (if he doesn''t already!)
2.gif
Thanks for the info on the Kendall. I need to actually visit Pottery Barn Kids here in the city and take a look at it myself in person. But, I do like the size and simplicity of it. I agree that a sleigh style would be the perfect fit in a large nursery, but definitely not in ours (although, I do think it''s beautiful). I saw Mandarine''s nursery pics too and I think it''s great that the two cribs are next to each other, but I think it would be tight fit in our nursery. I believe she got her cribs at Target if I''m not mistaken.

I think if we get the Kendall cribs, we''ll stick with the Kendall changing table. I too am a matchy person (even down to the same line of furniture - I need to have a set).
3.gif
We are going to go with white because we have darker hardwood floors and the honey wouldn''t match and the darker wood would make the room, well, dark.
5.gif

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hudson, I am leaning towards room #1. I like room #1 because it is more soundproof, but I like room #2 because it is more light proof. I know my son sleeps better when it is darker in there. Hmmmmm......

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 11:29:28 AM
Author: E B
Date: 4/14/2010 11:23:14 AM

As long as there''s a bathroom next to the bigger room, that may be a good idea. You could take the larger room and use the smaller as baby''s nursery.

Our house is so weird. The smaller room is attached to the bathroom and the larger room is across the hall from the bathroom. There''s no real "Master" bedroom.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 11:52:53 AM
Author: lizzyann01
Hudson, I am leaning towards room #1. I like room #1 because it is more soundproof, but I like room #2 because it is more light proof. I know my son sleeps better when it is darker in there. Hmmmmm......

Thanks I think we are too. I love the light in that room and I think having it attached to the bathroom in some ways is more convenient. I''ve heard that it''s good to have the baby in a more well lit room because then they don''t become dependent on total darkness for naps, etc and will be able to sleep anywhere. But it is small and inconvenient in terms of layout. **sigh** it''ll probably come down to DH saying no way to repainting the other room. Right now he''s using that as his dressing room so it would also mean him moving all of his stuff. That man has more clothes than I do!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: sleep and noise. i am crazy about his sleep too, so i would not choose #2 for that reason. having noise out of your control can be frustrating, at least the noise in your house is within your control. J's room has 2 windows so it gets a lot of light. you can get room darkening shades to help block out the light, but our shutters do fine and close pretty tightly for the most part. on the flip side i love that it is bright and light during the day, aka for future when he will be in there playing etc. so based on what you said i'd go with #1 for the nursery. you can always switch it up later too if you feel like the other room works better when he is a few years old and sleeping patterns are well established.

re: layout of the room, you might be surprised. there are lots of 'smaller' things that can in nooks and crannies...room doesn't have to be a total square or rectangle.

also we moved J into his own room at 3 weeks, it was GREAT. he sleeps better, we sleep better.

BB...i also kind of like the idea of having cribs on opposite sides of the room just because then the kids can't decide to 'play' hehee and it makes it harder for them to interact when they should be zzzz'ing. but again i am all about sleep.
3.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
HH -- I''d go with #1 because of how the other room shares a wall with your neighbor.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Maevie, Steal and blushingbride- Thank you so much!

Steal- Our chair is a Best Chair. SO comfortable. It''s a rocker AND a recliner. I highly recommend them.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
HH - I think I have to agree with the others on picking #1 as the nursery

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Question:

Moms using dressers as changing tables - Do you keep all of your diapering supplies on top of the dresser, in the drawers or maybe on shelves above?

Thanks
35.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 10:33:15 AM
Author: lovelylulu
Question:

Moms using dressers as changing tables - Do you keep all of your diapering supplies on top of the dresser, in the drawers or maybe on shelves above?

Thanks
35.gif

Lovely, I keep mine on a basket on top of the dresser. I have just recently started to keep some (overnight) diapers on one of the small top drawers...just because I currently have two brands (cheaper brand for day diapers, premium bran for overnights!)

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks mandy. I have to put baskets on my list of things to get . . .

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu i keep my diapering stuff in the changing table, it is open and has 2 shelves underneath that are very high. i have baskets in there and our diapers. the changing table is in the family room, we rarely diaper him in his room (yet). i keep some extra stuff on top of his dresser in a basket but really it''s mostly in the changing table area. i like the idea of above the table on shelves too.

you''d be surprised at how little room there is IN the dresser depending on how many drawers you have. we have 2 big ones and 2 small ones and it''s NOT enough for anything but the stuff he is just using ''right now''. everything else is in the closet or in storage and i cycle old stuff out and new stuff in every month.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 10:33:15 AM
Question:

Thanks
35.gif

we have the sabrina changing table basket and liner from pottery barn that we keep on top of the dresser with supplies and one top drawer has more of the same supplies.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu, I have this shelf over my changing table and LOVE it. I got the wider one that fits a wipe tub in it. It is a perfect place to keep her medicine too. I have a basket under the changing table for her diapers. I have this to store diapers in downstairs.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks mara, jcrow and tacori!
35.gif

I love the shelf idea -- though is it wrong that I want to save some wall space to hang cute pictures
3.gif
-- so I think that I''ll work out some kind of shelf and basket combo.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
So we''ve decided on Room #1 as the nursery. As it has so little blank wall space I think we''re going to try to put the dresser/changing table in the closet. Of course we haven''t measured it yet so who knows if that idea will work. We were planning on going with this bedding if it was a boy, ( http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2407344 ) but unfortunately it''s been discontinued from BRU. It''s actually the same bedding as Meresal''s. There was one set available on Amazon yesterday, but when I went back to order it it was gone
7.gif

So now we''re considering a few from Pottery Barn Kids:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/morgan-nursery-bedding/?pkey=bboys-nursery-bedding

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/madras-nursery-bedding-blue/?pkey=bboys-nursery-bedding

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/blue-chase-nursery-bedding/?pkey=bboys-nursery-bedding

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/pique-nursery-bedding-boy/?pkey=bboys-nursery-bedding

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
HH -- congratulations on having a boy! I''m so excited for you! Aiden is one of my favorite names. I love the bedding sets you''re considering, especially the first two.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
HH, I love #3 and it''s on sale!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tacori i love those shelves and they were sold out of white last time i looked! now just to figure out where they go.

and ditto lulu re: keeping space for pictures and stuff. i need WAY more wall space!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovely, I have two paintings hung OVER the shelf. It isn''t that high. Best of both worlds! Make sure you get the larger one if you want to fit a wipe tub in it.

Mara, we have our shelf over the changing table but the small version would be so cute next to the rocker for a few books. I like that these shelves can be used when she is older too KWIM? They don''t scream nursery.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 3:54:18 PM
thanks mandy. I have to put baskets on my list of things to get . . .

the other good thing about a basket.. you can take it around to wherever you need it in your house and have all the supplies for diaper changes at your fingertips.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yup tacori...also one of the reviews said that the gal put some on her son''s wall where his bed is so he can just reach over and grab a book for her to read, great idea and making use of some space that might not otherwise be that useful.

i''m thinking maybe i should get the dark blue if i want them to function longer than ''nursery'' aka in 2-3 years i imagine his room will get away from pastels. hmmmm. or i could get the white and we could always paint them in whatever color we wanted in the future.

random Q but is the shelf easily removable once you have installed it? aka can you take it off the wall, paint it and put it back or is the installation of it kind of permanent?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results