shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names.. just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 8:18:29 PM
Author: Jas12
I find names, and the trends that accompany them, really interesting. I love all the old fashioned names that are back in vogue now, but although they are 'old' they are so trendy right now it prevented me from putting them high on my list. I know of dozens of Jack's, Jacob's, Emma's, Isabella's, Grace, Ava's and Chloe's and although classic and very lovely, i don't like the idea of my kid sharing that name with 3 others in their class.

I completely agree, and I'm hoping that trend fades and some new trend picks up (names with superfluous Ys!) because *most* of the names I love are old-fashioned.

I have the most popular baby girl name in the country (for several years now) and I'm lucky I was named in the early 80s, because I didn't encounter many others my age growing up. Kindergarten classes must be full of them now!

Mela, I pronounce Neve 'NEV.' Just one syllable. I think it's lovely.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Since we don''t know if the little one''s a boy or a girl, we''ve been working on both lists for the whole pregnancy. Our lists change frequently and we''re not picking a final name until we see the baby. Here''s what we''ve got right now:

Girls:
Lydia
Lillian
Lyla
Julia
Jillian

Boys:
Andrew
Nathan
Maxwell
Desmond

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 10:11:46 PM
Author: Jas12
iluv--Ava is a beautiful name so it''s no wonder it is popular. I think if you love it then it doesn''t matter--as said, there is no way to predict trends so unless you actually make up a name it''s pretty hard to ensure originality. I am a teacher so i am a little more sensitive to the trends. I have 3 Brittany''s in my class right now!! And 2 Tylers.... popular names in the early 90''s.

Thanks Jas 12 - I think it is beautiful too.
I love
30.gif
that you named Cohen after Dh''s favorite poet. It is a really unique and special name.
Sam''s middle name is Calder after my favorite artist.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re done having kids, unless we fall into some money, so I''ve got a boys and girls name I''ll never get to use..maybe one of our kids will use them!

Our daughter is London Jo and our son is Trapper James. Jo is my and my mom''s middle name. James is hubby''s and my dad''s first name. London b/c I thought it was very feminine sounding and unique. Trapper b/c one of husbands hobbies is trapping. Hunter is too popular and he was unsure about Fisher. He was almost named Gunnar b/c I wanted a Swedish name, but husband felt it would be mispronounced and wanted Gunner. Had he been a girl, we thought about Tova or Linnea. I liked Hadley for a girl, he didn''t. I liked Hayden, Holten or Holden for a boy, he didn''t. Someone from our town named their daughter Londyn a couple years ago, so it''s spelled a shade different, and there''s about 3 years between them. There are a couple Trapper''s around, but one is in his 50''s and it''s his nickname, and the other is in his late 20''s.

I didn''t like having a common name. There were 2 of us Melissa''s in my class, and 2 in my brother''s class below me. And we had like, 30 kids total in each of our grades.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I too find name trends interesting. Unfortunately, it can be really difficult to predict what name will suddenly become popular. My parents named me Erin in the very very early 80s....just before the name sky rocketed. The irony? They picked Erin because my mom had only ever met one Erin and liked the name. I ended up being one of 3 in my small first grade class. My consolation was there were always 3-5 Jen/Jenn/Jenny/Jennifer''s, and 3-4 Lindsay/Lindsey''s who had it a bit worse.
20.gif

I don''t think I''ll share our name ideas, just because I''d like them to stay as uncommon as they currently are, but one thing I struggle with is the use of family names. I grew up with "my own" first name and the same middle name as my paternal grandmother. This was a pattern my parents used for my brothers, too - new first name, middle name taken from somewhere on my dad''s side of the family. The thing is, my brothers and I have never had the opportunity to have much of a relationship with my dad''s relatives. A combination of long distances and a resistance among all of them (my parents included) to travel for family visits resulted in me meeting my grandfather only twice (when old enough to remember, anyway) before he passed away when I was in high school. It''s hard for me to attach sentimental feeling to the name sharing tradition when for myself it''s always been a source of slight hurt/awkwardness. Has anyone else had a similar experience? DH would really like, I think, to use some names from his family. I adore my in-laws, and would love to honor them, but there''s just a part of me that bristles a bit at the idea. Am I just being weird?

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
We already have our names picked.. we are still atleast five years off TTC
3.gif

For a girl we love Monet Antionette and for a boy Ethan Thomas.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Iluv--We learned that Cohen is a very special name for the Jewish faith. I was really worried after he was born when i read some baby name site that suggested that it may be offensive. I was so worried i actually had to speak to a Rabbi in my city (my family knows him) and he told me that as long as we were aware of the significance there is no offense. We have Cowen''s on DH''s side and i always liked the sound of the name, but not the spelling (Cow--for short -meh) So when my sister, knowing how much DH loved the poetry of L.Cohen, suggested that name, we settled thinking it *must* be a sign
5.gif
I LUV Calder --very unique!

Packrat--your kiddies have really cool names!

LadyCeil--I can understand that problem. My DH''s grandfather passed away a couple of years before my son was born and i felt pressure to choose his name as a middle name. But i had only met him a handful of times and had no real relationship with him. In the end we decided not to use this name (we used my living grandfather whom i am *very* close with)--it was a hard decision. What about doing 2 middle names? That is quite common. Or, if you are getting your children baptized you can use a family name on that occassion? These were all options i considered.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 1:13:04 PM
Author: musey

Date: 4/19/2009 5:42:25 AM
Author: Steel
You ladies are brave. I would hate to have my ''perfect'' baby name swiped by another. Remember Sex & the City when a friend stole Charlottes perfect baby name!

32.gif

(My lips are sealed
9.gif
)
Someone swiped my ''perfect'' baby name for a girl
39.gif
I was so irked.
Someone swiped my girl name too! My blood was boiling a bit when I first found out...my face got all red and hot and my heart was beating super fast. I''m ok now since I''ve got a back-up name and I will not utter it to anyone but my FI
1.gif
. As for boys'' names, we have no idea!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
For a girl, I like Siobhan Kathleen (and K has agreed to it). For a boy, I love the name Alastair, but I don't think K will go for it. Boo!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I looooove the name Asher. I told BF (even though if we have a boy, he''ll probably end up with a family name) and he rolled his eyes at me! He said, "Leave it to you to want to name a kid after a diamond cut." I was thinking about the book The Giver because it first opened my eyes to that name, and I''ve only ever met one Asher (his mom loved that book, too). But you could have knocked me over with a feather that BF even knew that was also a diamond reference. But I think it means it''s off any potential name list.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:14:52 PM
Author: princesss
I looooove the name Asher. I told BF (even though if we have a boy, he''ll probably end up with a family name) and he rolled his eyes at me! He said, ''Leave it to you to want to name a kid after a diamond cut.'' I was thinking about the book The Giver because it first opened my eyes to that name, and I''ve only ever met one Asher (his mom loved that book, too). But you could have knocked me over with a feather that BF even knew that was also a diamond reference. But I think it means it''s off any potential name list.

You should be like.. Nuh uh, it''s spelled differently!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:18:46 PM
Author: Feralpenchant

I looooove the name Asher. I told BF (even though if we have a boy, he''ll probably end up with a family name) and he rolled his eyes at me! He said, ''Leave it to you to want to name a kid after a diamond cut.'' I was thinking about the book The Giver because it first opened my eyes to that name, and I''ve only ever met one Asher (his mom loved that book, too). But you could have knocked me over with a feather that BF even knew that was also a diamond reference. But I think it means it''s off any potential name list.

You should be like.. Nuh uh, it''s spelled differently!
Hahaha, I did. "Honey, that''s Asscher with 2 ''s''s. I like the name Ascher with 1 ''s'' but I''m impressed you knew that."

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

That''s my favorite book.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
For boys, I like the names Jackson, Chandler, and Patrick. Girl names give me trouble. The first one that comes to mind is Charlotte.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't understand why people shy away from a name if a friend or relative has "taken" it already (or if it's become popular). If you like it, why not choose it too? Having said that, I just asked my husband about this, and he said he'd probably give up a name if someone we knew had already given their child a particular name we liked. So I guess we can't name our daughter Emma.

Other girls' names I like:

Claire
Michaela (there are so many different ways to spell it though)
Grace
Kathryn
Ava
Olivia (it would sound horrible with our last name though)

Boys' names I like:

Connor
Kieran (or Ciaran)
Liam
Jackson
Patrick (but I don't like Pat at all)

So far, the only names we agree on liking are Grace and Kieran/Ciaran. We're not having kids yet though, so there's time to figure it out.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m all about Southern names.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:09:39 PM
Author: pennquaker09
I''m all about Southern names.
Sorry to hijack....but I''m going to...Penn, I have a Savannah in my reading class and she is the most sweet and beautiful little girl and I think of your daughter when I see her. I know, that''s random, but I don''t hear the name often and it''s what I picture your daughter growing up to be like for some reason.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 10:32:20 PM
Author:Feralpenchant
Orchid''s thread got me thinking.. What are everyone''s picks for names, both boys and girls? If you already have children but don''t want to share their names, what would you name your next child if you were to have another?

I don''t know if I want children, but if I did, my picks would be..

Girl: Joanna, Lydia, and Emma.
Boy: Eli, Cyrus, Julian, and James.
I just got back from vacation and saw this thread and your post made me laugh. Two of the names we are considering right now are Joanna and Eli! I knew Eli was pretty common, but I haven''t met too many Joanna''s. We find out the sex of our baby next week (hopefully), and here are our top names, in order of preference.

Girl: Cassidy, Joanna, Joy
Boy: Eli, Jonah, Jack

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
H and I talk about this all the time. Quite casually right now, although we are starting to hold on to a few favorites! I think we talked more baby names than ering for a while!
3.gif

We will probably name a son Elijah Gabriel. Although in 4 years that may very well change.

Boys:
Elijah (Lija for short cause I don't care for Eli)
Gabriel
Jonah
Tristan
Cameron

My absolute favorite girl name is Panina, H thinks it is ridiculous and won't hear of it
20.gif

Girls:
Meira
Maya
Aaliyah
Leah (pronounced the Hebrew way Leia)
Simone
Mara

I am pretty steadfast about having Hebrew names for the kids, because I think it is a little silly to have an English name and a Hebrew name, but that is just me. I think a compromise would be to have the first name Hebrew and the middle name English. We have a really hard time agreeing on names too, so we may not have a large number of choices, which could help when it comes to the final decision!

BTW - I LOVE THIS THREAD
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both my boys have fairly common names. . . names that are higher up on the popularity list according to the SS Adminstration. I think for boys, they need more common/"normal" names or they become branded by peers. . .girls can get away with more unique/unusual names and still be looked up to by peers.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
One of my best friends died a few years ago, so I told my DH before we were even engaged that I''d never consider marrying him if he wasn''t open to naming a child after my dear friend--luckily for me, he understood how important it was to me, so either Joseph or Morgann will be in use some day. We both also like Gabriel, Aidan, James,Kaylon, and Christopher, and for a girl, we both like Chloe, Zoe, and pretty much anything that ends with "a" (Ava, Emma, Nora, Zara, Kara, etc.). My family and his are both huge on the naming kids after a relative thing, but I''m personally not so crazy about any of the commonly passed around names in my family. my family uses Anne, Elizabeth, Helen, Richard, Leo, and Augustus a LOT...on the boys names, though, my brother is the one who''s supposed to pass that down, so at least I''m off the hook there! DH''s family is all Antonio and Enrique--I''m not opposed to those names when pronounced correctly, but we live in Georgia, so you''d be astounded at what these names can be turned into!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I have zero idea on names. None. At this point, I''m going to have to look at DD and say "you look like a pfft" and that''ll be her name.

For a boy, he would have been a JR since I adore the idea of Jrs. Too bad there''s no feminine name for Richard lol
3.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:48:31 PM
Author: so cal girl
Date: 4/18/2009 10:32:20 PM

Author:Feralpenchant

Orchid''s thread got me thinking.. What are everyone''s picks for names, both boys and girls? If you already have children but don''t want to share their names, what would you name your next child if you were to have another?

I don''t know if I want children, but if I did, my picks would be..

Girl: Joanna, Lydia, and Emma.

Boy: Eli, Cyrus, Julian, and James.

I just got back from vacation and saw this thread and your post made me laugh. Two of the names we are considering right now are Joanna and Eli! I knew Eli was pretty common, but I haven''t met too many Joanna''s. We find out the sex of our baby next week (hopefully), and here are our top names, in order of preference.

Girl: Cassidy, Joanna, Joy

Boy: Eli, Jonah, Jack

Hehe, I love ALL of your names! My SO has nixed Eli, he thinks it sounds fru fru. Whatever. I think I might override him on that one
2.gif
I love Jack too, the only reason it''s not on my list is because my brother''s son is named Jackson.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Fun. Our daughter's name is Tayva. It was pretty much the ONLY name DH and I agreed on. Thank goodness we had a girl.
2.gif
It's pretty unique (don't know anyone with the name) and some don't like it (of course you can't please everyone). A lady at the bank actually said "oh, poor girl" when I told her Tayva's name.
20.gif
Another factor for me is that I'm a teacher so there are many, many names that get marked off the list because the name would remind me of a certain student.

Boy names:
Braxton
Brecken
Kade
Kyler

Girl names:
Quinn
McKinnley
McKenna
Rylan

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Burk I ADORE all of your boy names! And I never really like any boy names. Some of mine are similar to yours. Tayva is an awesome name by the way!

My favorite boy names are:
Chester (DH won't go for it because it rhymes with molester!
20.gif
)
Kale- I fell in love with it when someone I know named her son, I'd love to use it too because I hardly ever see her, but I don't want to copy!
Bracken
Chadwich- I've had a strange obsession with this name since Road Rules Australia!

Girl Names:
Edison
Pretty much any name that is traditionally a boy (Tommy, Timmy, Charlie, Eddie, Ryan)
Kiya (Ky-uh)

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
i like the name tayva! my DH makes fun of me for liking names that''d "be a lot of points in scrabble" because i like names with unusual letters in them, too, so i''m loving the v. i dislike all the "end with y" names for girls because i grew up in the brittany tiffany lindsay stephanie era.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh the name Tayva is gorgeous!!! What does it mean? How did you come up w/it?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:23:08 PM
Author: fieryred33143
I have zero idea on names. None. At this point, I''m going to have to look at DD and say ''you look like a pfft'' and that''ll be her name.

For a boy, he would have been a JR since I adore the idea of Jrs. Too bad there''s no feminine name for Richard lol
3.gif

You could always do Ricki for a girl a la Ricki Lake.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 3:41:42 PM
Author: Burk
Fun. Our daughter''s name is Tayva. It was pretty much the ONLY name DH and I agreed on. Thank goodness we had a girl.
2.gif
It''s pretty unique (don''t know anyone with the name) and some don''t like it (of course you can''t please everyone). A lady at the bank actually said ''oh, poor girl'' when I told her Tayva''s name.
20.gif
Another factor for me is that I''m a teacher so there are many, many names that get marked off the list because the name would remind me of a certain student.

Boy names:
Braxton
Brecken
Kade
Kyler

Girl names:
Quinn
McKinnley
McKenna
Rylan

That''s my first name and I''ve always had a hard time with it.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
mia~Thank you! We''re very fond of her name and it just suits her perfectly. Our nephew''s name is Kale. Cute! I wonder sometimes if naming our boy (if we are lucky enough to have one) Kade would make it confusing.

doodle~That''s too funny about the scrabble points! My sister and I''s names are Brittany and Lindsay!
3.gif
9.gif
I totally agree!

packrat~Thanks! No clue what it means because we made it up!
16.gif
DH came up with it when we heard a TV host with the name Tava (pronounces Tah-va) and decided he''d like a long "a" better. So Tayva just clicked with both of us....I was about 14 weeks along at that point and we didn''t know yet if we were having a boy or girl but knew that would be our girl name if we should have one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results