shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a good Apple Pie Recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby has clients in from Australia and they are coming over for dinner tomorrow night for an "American" meal. I have a ton of granny smith apples and thought you can''t get more American than a homemade apple pie (minus the homemade crust b/c I don''t think I can do it). So any of you bakers have a good recipe. I have found a ton for Apple crisp''s but would love a good one for Apple Pie..

appletini

Ideal_Rock
OMG! Mrs. Salvo!!! I have the best one...I made it a few weeks ago and it was the best apple pie I ever had. Its primarily a Southern Living recipe, but with an appletini twist. It has the crumble crust on top. I want to make one right now!!!

Granny Smith Apple Pie

1 store bought 9 inch grahm cracker crust (you can make your own or use refrigerated, but I prefer this shortcut)
6 medium granny smith apples: peeled & sliced
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (~2 lemons)
3/4 cup+ brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg

*Toss together apple and lemon juice in a large bowl.
*Combine brown sugar, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg: sprinkle over apple mixture and toss to coat. Then spoon into pie crust

Crumble Topping

1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
6 tbsp butter

*cut butter into sugar and flour
*Sprinkle over apples
*pat with spoon

*preheat oven to 450. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.
*Reduce oven temp to 350 and bake for 35 minutes more

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
is there such thing as a ''bad'' apple pie recipe?
33.gif

any apple pie is a good apple pie!
18.gif

i am partial to the cruble crust toppings myself. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....so good!

best of luck with the pie mrss! let us know how it goes.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much apple. I am going to try it tomorrow
18.gif

lol belle, I should have said *easy* apple pie recipe
9.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
A friend''s "signature recipe" is Apple Pie in a brown bag. He''s broken it out on various occassions: to cheer me up after a bad breakup, for a friend''s bday, for super bowl gatherings, and at my champagne & desserts engagement party. It''s divine!

I''m emailing him right now to get the recipe.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/18/2006 9:11:48 PM
Author: mrssalvo
18.gif

9.gif
How about apple crisp? Tons easier than pie and I like it better. I can give you a killer recipe if you want . . .

ETA: Umm, never mind, I just read your original post more carefully.
37.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a little tip for apple pie that I happened upon. I was making a pie for a get-together with friends a couple weeks ago but it turns out we didn''t have a pie pan anymore! My old one started rusting (ewwww!) and I''d thrown it out but forgot to get a replacement, so I had my apples all cut, stewing in a bit of lemon juice (to prevent browning), sugar and spices for about 45 mins while hubby ran out for a pie plate. When we ate the pie, the apples were deliciously tangy, I suspect from soaking in the lemon juice for a while, but still sweet enough. The pie was such a hit I didn''t even have leftovers to bring home, and I usually have a piece or two after this group!

I use my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook apple pie recipe, pretty standard, and you really can''t go wrong with any recipe! Apparently the refrigerated pie crusts are tasty too. I like to sprinkle a little sugar on top of the upper crust too, if you''re not doing the crumbles.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok gals, well the pie is in the oven. I need it for making dinner later tonight so I had to get it going. My best friend also emailed reminding me to cut the apples in thin slices. thanks so much and I''ll let you all know how it goes
1.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
This is too late to help MrsSalvo, but JCJD''s tip reminded me of another one--I''ve never used lemon juice, but if at all possible I cut up the apple and mix them with all the other filling ingredients and let them sit for several hours or over night. The get all limp and pack together well so you get a really good solid filling and avoid the deflated air-pockety thing that can happen sometimes.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well everyone loved the pie. My hubby is not a big apple pie fan and ate some. He said he loved the crust, the topping and the filling and the apples were just *ok*
20.gif
but he did go back for a second small peice
3.gif
. I told him it''s the apple''s that make it healthy
41.gif
. Anyway, thanks again apple for the recipe. We''re going to a friends for dinner sat. night am in charge of dessert. I''m thinking about just making the pie again. I think it will be better the second time b/c I know what i''m doing. Christa, I''ll try your tip of marinating the apples
1.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
:) I''m glad it was a success. I added extra brown sugar and cinnamon to the orginal recipe b/c those are my favorite ingredients.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Here is another one to add to the mix (just for future reference). It''s from the Silver Palate cook book. It is divine and I get rave reviews every time I bake this pie.

SILVER PALATE SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE
Silver Palate Sour Cream Apple Pie was the most popular apple pie at The Silver Palate, the gourmet take-out shop that Julee Rosso and I opened in New York City in 1977. This pie will win raves in your home too!
When chopping the walnuts, make sure they''re not too fine.

Crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
6 tablespoons cold shortening
4 to 6 tablespoons apple juice
Filling:
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 or 6 tart apples, peeled and sliced
Topping:
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Prepare crust: Sift flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon into a bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Moisten with just enough apple juice, tossing ingredients lightly with a fork. Form dough into a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Cut off 1/3 of the dough and return it to the refrigerator. Roll out the other 2/3 between 2 sheets of wax paper. Line a greased 9-inch pie pan with the dough. Trim overhang and crimp decoratively. Preheat oven to 350°F.

3. Whisk all filling ingredients, except apples, in a bowl. Add apples, then spoon into the pastry-lined pie pan. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over filling.

4. Roll out the remaining dough between wax paper to form a circle 10 inches in diameter. Cut into strips 1/2-inch wide and arrange lattice-fashion over apples; trim ends of strips and crimp edges decoratively.

5. Bake pie in the center of the oven until the juices are bubbling and the apples are tender, about 55-60 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil if the crust browns too quickly.) Serve warm or cooled.

Per serving: 811 calories, 97g carbohydrates, 45g fat, 11g protein, 78mg cholesterol.
Nutritional Breakdown: New Wellness, Richmond, Va.
Makes 6 servings.
Simply Delicious® by Sheila Lukins
PARADE®
October 2000

PARADE® and Simply Delicious® are used by CondéNet Inc. under license.

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/20/2006 12:14:06 PM
Author: Giada

Per serving: 811 calories, 97g carbohydrates, 45g fat, 11g protein, 78mg cholesterol.
Nutritional Breakdown: New Wellness, Richmond, Va.
Makes 6 servings.
Simply Delicious® by Sheila Lukins
PARADE®
October 2000

Your pie sounds tasty - but YIKES!
23.gif
That''s about the amount of fat I eat for an entire day! I''d have to fast for a day before having it -LOL!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Yum yum yum! Appletini, I think I may try your recipe tonight too! I've never had apple pie w/graham cracker crust, but it sounds just heavenly!

I heart Granny Smith apples
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad it went well mrss!
36.gif
apple pie sounds so darn good right now
18.gif

i will have to try christa''s marinating overnight trick. great idea!

ohmygosh giada..... 811 calories for ONE serving!!??
23.gif
wowza.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Yep, the Silver Palate Apple Pie is decadent, but heck, it IS dessert. I usually just skip dessert when I'm watching calories, but when I'm having dessert, I'M HAVING DESSERT!
emotion-14.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/19/2006 12:34:53 AM
Author: Christa

Date: 10/18/2006 9:11:48 PM
Author: mrssalvo
18.gif

9.gif
How about apple crisp? Tons easier than pie and I like it better. I can give you a killer recipe if you want . . .

ETA: Umm, never mind, I just read your original post more carefully.
37.gif
Christa,

I''m curious about your apple crisp recipe. Could you post it?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results