shape
carat
color
clarity

Any baby wearing parents here?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The TIME article got me thinking about some of the parenting choices that my DH and I are choosing. Prior to that article I had no clue that many of the choices we are making are deemed "attachment" style parenting. Just from what I've read and based on how I was brought up (meaning what NOT to do) they've just felt right for both my DH and I and have been confirmed by other families that have done many things that are deemed "attachment" style parenting.

This isn't a thread about that style of parenting-I'm just wondering if any of you guys use wraps/carriers/etc with your infants/toddlers?

I just bought my first carrier off of kijiji (FYI unless you make them yourself these things aren't free-as in 100-250.00 depending on the style used). There are classes that you can take (not here-otherwise I'd consider it) due to certain carriers not being good for the hips/etc and you can even get certified.

Are there any baby wearing parents on here? I'm very excited to baby wear and it happens to fit well along our choice to cloth diaper, co-sleep (at least at first) and do elimination communication (EC) as well as breast feeding-baby lead feeding-and organic made at home baby food (which means whatever we're eating the baby will eventually get when the interested in expressed-something I shouldn't have to worry about for almost another year!)

We're not due until Oct but I'm getting a head start and reading all sorts of things. I realize things will change/adapt to what works best after the baby arrives but I'm confident that baby wearing is something that both our baby, myself and my DH will love.

You can see all the different sytles on this site and learn about the classes. I bought a himmel mei-tai and plan on getting a ring sling for the infant stage.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one on these boards doing some "attachment" style of parenting. I've never read Sears book-but my gf is going to school to be a midwife and I'm using a midwife for our at home water birth (Lord willing) that we have planned and it seems that the mothers I'm connecting with (in other online groups) are also doing very similar parenting things. The EC from my research has been used for centuries in other cultures as well as baby wearing. It's just not the most common practice in Western cultures-although it's been gaining popularity with the green movement it seems.

I'd love to see pictures of you baby wearing parents in action (especially daddies!) and hear about your experiences :)

http://theblueberrytree.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=2

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a baby wearing mama to a 5 month old cutie pie. It's just easier most days, living in an urban setting, but I've also been doing it on vacation to the suburbs to visit family who think it's the craziest thing going. Even my husband has his own carrier for the baby. Stores are tight, and babies like to be snuggled close. We do also own a stroller, as getting out for some fresh air and a nap for baby is sometimes a lot more restorative for me, when I can have a little space. The age mine is at now, she wants/craves/loves constant connection and interaction. With me, with my husband, with other babies, anyone who will return her smile or raspberries. I'm reading a book right now called "Peaceful Parenting" by Marcy Axness, PhD that is less how to, and more developmental psychology from conception,birth and newborn that you might like to check out.

(I had a homebirth/waterbirth too. It was fantastic and loving and everything I wanted it to be for my husband, my daughter and me.)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayachel: Thank you so much for sharing!

It's SO encouraging to hear a good thing about a water birth. My midwife has done over 300 of them and one gf of mine did one with her 2nd. Her first was at the hospital with an epi and she was terrified during the whole thing. Her 2nd she just came right out and barely had to be in the water at all-I'm not expecting that with ours since it will be our first.

I'll have to check that book out after the other one of mine arrives. I just got last week the diaper free baby (about EC) and we have the Bradley birthing method coming in the mail to help my husband and I prepare for our birth at home. I know it's a few months out but I like to read things before hand and not crunch last minute when I'm huge and uncomfortable and beginning to have the "this is really going to happen" hitting me :bigsmile:

I'm very excited about having the baby at home. It will be myself, my DH, my midwife (and maybe a back up one-not sure how that all works quite yet since I'm just getting into showing) and my gf who did the at home water birth (she asked the day she found out. I figure it can't hurt to have someone there helping coach me and my husband and to help me calm down who's actually been though it before).

It seems like I'll have quite the crowd but thankfully (unless it's at night) I have no plans on having family there. Unless they express interest in that portion of it they can wait until the baby is cleaned up and make the hour drive to meet our little angel.

I'm not to worried about a crib/stroller or even a height chair at this point since we plan on cosleeping and we have a cradle (gifted to us) and I plan mostly wearing the baby and breast feeding for the first while. Everything else we can get as we need it if we don't get it as a shower gift or find it preloved for a good price :)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm a baby-wearer, but it's more convenience than anything.

In the first few weeks it worked like a charm for soothing her. I got all of my housework done with her in the carrier, plus I could go anywhere with her and know she wouldn't cry. It kept us both happy!

Now that K is a few months old, I still use it daily, but I don't use it to soothe. She loves it and it's perfect for taking the dog for a walk on trails that are too rough for our all-terrain stroller. And since she loves looking around in all directions, I usually put her in it when I'm in Target or the grocery store.

Purely from a practical standpoint (and not an attachment parenting standpoint), it's been a life-saver for me since I'm in and out of the house all day long.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I used an Ergo A LOT with my son (my daughter was 11 months old when we adopted her and we didn't wear her very much- I wish we had- but she was used to be worn all the time on her foster mom's back in Korea). I didn't do it out of an attachment parenting sense- actually didn't even know about AP until recently, but more b/c it seemed to be convenient all around- as soon as I put him in the Ergo, he'd sack out. What a great way to get him to nap! Also, it was imperative to wear him b/c my daughter was under 2 when he was born and it was so much easier for me to wear him while I handled her. And when I did daycare dropoff and pickup for my daughter, her class was in the basement and had no elevator, so hauling him in his infant car seat was too much. Plus, I just liked having him snuggled up next to me :praise: The downsides for me was that it was very hot in the summer and with the Ergo, while extremely comfortable, I had to get the straps adjusted just right or it would actually hurt my back. And I'm 5'3" while DH is 6'1", so adjusting straps back and forth between us was very inconvenient.

Here are a few pics:

DS when he was just a couple of months old- the fit isn't that great here and I know his arms were supposed to be up higher, but for some reason, he loved hanging his hands like that and would totally fall asleep.

Also, Ergo makes a doll version, which my daughter loved.

And then some pics mostly with my sister wearing him.

Drew in Ergo.jpg

Casey and play Ergo.jpg

On Imo's back.jpg

Train ride.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
And two more- one where he fell asleep and we were so afraid to remove the carrier. The other is in Korea, where the adoption workers trussed me up out of nowhere with a screaming, very unhappy baby on my back in a podaegi. She was struggling so much they couldn't tie it correctly, which is why I'm hunched over.

Passed out.jpg

Podaegi.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS - Those are all super-cute pics, but the pic of your DD with the doll ergo is just priceless and sooooo adorable! Ohh, was posting the same time as you. Your son sleeping on top of the ergo - ahahhahaha!! Neat re: podaegi. Do you still have it? Would be a nice keepsake, though I am a bit of packrat, so maybe normal people don't think that way.

VL - I'd say that most PS moms are baby-wearing at some point. Definitely more so than what I see out and about IRL!!

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
I think I'd like to do it - more with a sling than with an Ergo/Bjorn etc. I like the idea of the baby being close and me having both hands free.

I've followed a lot of bloggers who did a series on babywearing in connection with Sakura Bloom slings. It was really quite beautiful (as are those slings!).

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic of what our typical eating out looks like with a little one in tow. This is a Beco Gemini. Now that baby is bigger DH prefers the structured carrier to the wrap. Most of the time, I still prefer a wrap. This particular carrier, is super adjustable, but I have a short torso, and find it difficult to find a comfortable seated position with her. Still only doing front carries though, so hoping that changes with her on my back.\\

I have too few photos of me with the baby since I'm the one who tends to do 99% of the photo taking. This is a self-portrait from when she was about 6 weeks old, in a K'Tan wrap.

I agree that it is such a great way to soothe a little one, and mine got heavy in my arms quick! I love being able to give her the comfort she needs when she is over stimulated/exhausted etc...and still get my needs (to get out and about, eat, etc...) tended to.

LS:Your photos are fantastic! Such sweetie pies you have. I completely hope to get my LO her own sling for her doll when she's older.

male babywearing.jpg

female babywearing.jpg

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I wore my little guy a bit. I wanted to wear him more, but he spent most of his first 8 months arching/screaming and then he was walking before 9 months.

I'm a big advocate of baby wearing, although not for a reason that may occur to you. I'm in pediatrics and one of the most common questions I get during newborn visits is "when can I leave the house?" As a VERY type A woman who developed severe post partum following a preterm labor which ended in c-section (bye bye beautiful drug free labor :(( ) birth of a boy who wouldn't latch or gain, developed HORRIBLE reflux (still on meds at 15 mos), and wouldn't snuggle, my Maya wrap was my freedom.

As I tell all my new moms, get out of the house! Get fresh air, run any errands you feel are pressing, go to church/services if you need them, but WEAR your baby. By wearing a baby rather than carrying the bucket, I find there is a significant reduction in exposure to germs. People are more wary of another person's space and are FAR less likely to attempt to touch a baby being worn. In my experience, everyone tells you to have people wash their hands before touching a baby, but no one thinks THEIR hands are the problem. :rolleyes:

Also, my guy did poorly with every round of vaccines, and I found wearing him the evening following ameliorated his discomfort. His last set (MMR and Hep A) were the first ones he did not develop a temp over 102! (So happy!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter has used the Sear's The Baby Book and The Vaccine Book and does a lot of attachment parenting things. She has a sling but the baby has been held more than she has been in the sling! She has done extremely well with breastfeeding and getting sleep because the baby does sleep with her (to the right of her and with a bedrail, not between the two parents which is dangerous). I will have to tell you, this baby is very relaxed and content! (The only thing I do not like from the list you named was the elimination communication, because I think this is more parent training than child training! It seems like unnecessary stress to me! Oh, and I love disposable diapers! They are wonderful and keep baby drier, imo.) We have friends who delivered baby #2,3, and 4 (a week ago) at home. I think that is great for those who make that choice, but my daughter opted for a midwife and natural birth in the hospital and went home the next day.

I have also read that you do have to be careful about the type of slings because some are bad for the baby. My son-in-law is a chiropractor and he is very cautious about that.

I love all the pictures of your little ones, ladies!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
To add on to Diamondseeker's post, many slings have a MINIMUM baby weight. My little man wasn't big enough for several of our slings until he was a few months old. My Maya is often used for preemies. Check minimum and maximum weights... just in case.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Our son was 2 1/2 when he joined our family through adoption, but our Boba carrier was a lifesaver! He LOVED it, it has helped him and us so much. The first 3 months he was in it exclusively when we left the house, then we only used it when he was having a rough day or when we went somewhere where people would try to interact with him too much. He's now 3 1/2 and I used it for an 18 hour day in NYC (we took family who were visiting to Chinatown, Little Italy, Staten Island Ferry, little Italy again, and a whole bunch of walking) he was thrilled to be back in it and it was still really comfortable for me (and SO much easier than lugging a stroller).

If we ever have an infant I will use a sleepy wrap as many friends have loved it :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plan to wear our baby as much as possible if she will tolerate it. Some kids apparently don't like it! I haven't purchased a wrap or sling yet, thought I'd wait and try some out at a local shop here first to see what fits us best.

Our community is pretty crunchy and among the more educated folk it is mainstream now to cloth diaper, baby wear, co-sleep, etc. Even the main hospital is pretty pro-natural birth and very up to date as far as helping women labor the way they want to instead of just strapping them into the bed and telling them when to push.

I did not know much about attachment parenting at all before I became pregnant and started reading. The term itself sounds sort of negative, in my opinion, but I was pleasantly surprised by everything I read and a lot of it sounds like it will fit right in with our current childless lifestyle. I will say that I am not married to any particular way of doing things, we are taking a whatever works approach to all of this. As much as I like to plan things in life, I am pretty sure child-rearing is total trial and error so I don't want to get my hopes up or my mind set on any one method. I am all for people being totally committed to their method of choice, though, don't get me wrong!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I wear our baby, but we do not subscribe to the attachment parenting lifestyle, if that makes sense. We use cloth diapers and in my cultural background, what is termed "EC" is the norm for babies, although we do not use it ourselves.

I have a Bjorn that I borrowed from a friend, a ring sling, and most recently acquired an Ergo. I have used the ring sling once, the Bjorn 3 times, and the Ergo has become an essential! I don't wear S at home as she sleeps contentedly in her bassinet - have occasionally used the Ergo when she has been unsettled but I think that's only been about 3 times. When we are going out for a prolonged period I wear her because she sleeps so well in it; in the stroller she will only do about half of her usual nap time but in the Ergo she will sleep her usual 2 hour stretch and sometimes will want to go longer! The Bjorn was fine but it was uncomfortable for me (it made my lower back sore) and S wasn't as content in it as she is in the Ergo - don' t know whether it's a positioning/posture thing, a hip position thing, an air circulation thing, or just "one of those [other] things"?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We plan to babywear as much as possible when our LO arrives, so long as he or she likes it. So far I have picked up a sling and also bought a Beco Butterfly II off CL. I am registered for a Moby wrap as well. We're hopeful it is a convenient way to calm the LO while also providing the comfort and security of being near me or DH.

I'm not yet sure that our parenting style is attachment, but we do plan to cloth diaper, breast feed and have a water birth.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1337109497|3195885 said:

In the first few weeks it worked like a charm for soothing her. I got all of my housework done with her in the carrier, plus I could go anywhere with her and know she wouldn't cry. It kept us both happy!

Now that K is a few months old, I still use it daily, but I don't use it to soothe. She loves it and it's perfect for taking the dog for a walk on trails that are too rough for our all-terrain stroller. And since she loves looking around in all directions, I usually put her in it when I'm in Target or the grocery store.

Purely from a practical standpoint (and not an attachment parenting standpoint), it's been a life-saver for me since I'm in and out of the house all day long.

yes, ditto all the above; I had a colicky baby. I have 2 moby's but they are hot in the summer since there is so much material, just an fyi

aww all these pictures are adorable :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I love 'wearing' my son! :love:

I have a Beco Butterfly and love it! He is happy as a clam in there and loves to hang out in it when we're shopping.

Just a quick word about the Baby Bjorn: it is not really good for babies because they dangle from it instead of sitting froggy-legged. This can lead to hip dysplasia. Any carrier in which the baby sits froggy-legged is fine. Here's a pic explaining...

bjorn.jpg

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I put my son in a sling when his stroller is too much hassle. When he was a newborn, he hated his stroller and a sling was the only way I could go to the store. Now he likes his stroller and I only use the sling occasionally since wearing a 17 pound baby starts to hurt my back after a while. I wasn't aware that using a sling was considered part of attachment parenting since that is not something DH and I plan to follow. I guess some things just come naturally.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Daisy was pretty much never put down from birth till 5 months - she screamed blue murder if she was so I just put her into a sling all the time - I didn't like my first one (can't even remember the name) and should have got a Moby, but my Ellaroo Mei Tai was fantastic especially living in London and I still use it now (D turns 3 tomorrow). I even had a special coat with a section to cover the baby whether she was on my back or front.

Oh, I had a Bjorn, but it was hopeless and killed my back - plus it's not great for the baby's spine - so I got rid of it asap. I do have a Stokke Xplory as well and love that.

I was in hospital for a week and even in ICU we co-slept (rooming in is mandatory in the UK). At home I had a Mini Arms-Reach, but after a couple of weeks I gave up and we co-slept... we are still co-sleeping now.

Had a nightmare establishing breast-feeding but D was EBF from 6 weeks - and is still breastfed now. We also did Baby-Led-Weaning at 6 months - D has never even had a puree.

We have never done CIO, I went straight in as soon as I heard D cry and fed or cuddled her back to sleep. I just couldn't personally let her cry (I thought I would do CIO, but once she was here there was no way I could).

I didn't do cloth nappies - I didn't have a drier, I have a very small apartment and no garden and Britain is cold and rains a lot so it would have been near impossible.

Tried EC - no success at all, so gave up. D utterly refuses to have anything to do with potty-training at all - she is perfectly capable just won't and so I am not fighting with her till the summer. I grew up in a country where EC was the norm so it seemed the obvious choice to me... btw, co-sleeping and EC are NOT a great mix! Also HATED the book.

I didn't intend giving up my life when D was born and I definitely don't do schedules so we just went out whenever and wherever. D had zero interest in napping after 3 months so it wasn't a problem - if she wanted to she could always nap in the stroller/sling). She went to lots of fun events - award ceremonies, council meetings (I was a Councillor and so she sat on the benches with me when she was tiny), private views at art galleries... pretty much whatever we were invited to.

Vaccines - I am obsessive about vaccination and am extremely judgemental about people who are selfish enough to rely on other people vaccinating and who put very young babies and those who are immuno-compromised and can't be vaccinated at risk.

In the UK you can have a water birth in hospital as well as entonox (so far fewer epidurals). I come from a medical family and one of my best friends is an OB so there is no way on earth I would ever have a home birth, especially with a first baby with so many unknowns.

The one thing that was supposed to be completely straight-forward for me was the birth and I ended up with ventouse and forceps after 54 hours for deep transverse arrest and then a massive post-partum haemorrhage that left me unconcious for nearly 2 hours and needed 2 days in ICU and 5 blood transfusions. I was lucky to survive in hospital in a fully equipped operating theatre - I would probably not have survived a c-section and definitely wouldn't have survived a homebirth.

Out of 5 friends and my SSIL who chose a HB, SSIL was transferred after 36 hours, one ended up in hospital after failure to progress and turned out to have an undiagnosed vasa previa and was lucky the baby survived, and two of the others ended up overdue and being induced in hospital. The other two had easy deliveries at home and were very happy with the choice.

I wish those who choose them a safe delivery and lots of luck!

I do like the Dr Sears 'The Baby Book'. I also recommend Deborah Jackson's 'Three in a Bed' and Gill Rapley's 'Baby Led Weaning'.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1337109497|3195885 said:

I'm glad to hear that it does help keep things hands free :) thanks so much for sharing NEL!

LoganSapphire:
Those pictures are ADORABLE! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing them with us! I think it's awesome that you adopted and your daughter and son are to cute for words :) I LOVE that doll carrier-something tells me I might get a couple of those for friends (or if we have a daughter) for them to carry around their dolls after seeing me with one :)

Loves Vintage said:
LS - Those are all super-cute pics, but the pic of your DD with the doll ergo is just priceless and sooooo adorable! Ohh, was posting the same time as you. Your son sleeping on top of the ergo - ahahhahaha!! Neat re: podaegi. Do you still have it? Would be a nice keepsake, though I am a bit of packrat, so maybe normal people don't think that way.

VL - I'd say that most PS moms are baby-wearing at some point. Definitely more so than what I see out and about IRL!!

I see that there are many baby wearing parents on the boards-it's so nice to hear from those who've had first hand experience vs just reading about it online :) Thanks everyone so much for sharing!

MuffDog said:
I think I'd like to do it - more with a sling than with an Ergo/Bjorn etc. I like the idea of the baby being close and me having both hands free.

I've followed a lot of bloggers who did a series on babywearing in connection with Sakura Bloom slings. It was really quite beautiful (as are those slings!).

MuffDog: Not much longer now and you're LO will be making an appearance too! The reasons you stated are the same reasons why I want to wear-although I'll probably stick more to wraps/mei tai than anything after watching the videos. We'll have to see what DH is most comfortable with. I'm in a few groups and there are some crafty women on there and they told me how to DIY the wrap ones vs buying an expensive one. I have found a couple for sale in the area and hopefully will get a Moby for a shower gift :)

mayachel: Thank you so much for sharing pictures! They are so helpful to see them in action vs reading instructions :) The picture out and about with your DH is SO cute!

Munchkin said:
I wore my little guy a bit. I wanted to wear him more, but he spent most of his first 8 months arching/screaming and then he was walking before 9 months.

I'm a big advocate of baby wearing, although not for a reason that may occur to you. I'm in pediatrics and one of the most common questions I get during newborn visits is "when can I leave the house?" As a VERY type A woman who developed severe post partum following a preterm labor which ended in c-section (bye bye beautiful drug free labor :(( ) birth of a boy who wouldn't latch or gain, developed HORRIBLE reflux (still on meds at 15 mos), and wouldn't snuggle, my Maya wrap was my freedom.

As I tell all my new moms, get out of the house! Get fresh air, run any errands you feel are pressing, go to church/services if you need them, but WEAR your baby. By wearing a baby rather than carrying the bucket, I find there is a significant reduction in exposure to germs. People are more wary of another person's space and are FAR less likely to attempt to touch a baby being worn. In my experience, everyone tells you to have people wash their hands before touching a baby, but no one thinks THEIR hands are the problem. :rolleyes:

Also, my guy did poorly with every round of vaccines, and I found wearing him the evening following ameliorated his discomfort. His last set (MMR and Hep A) were the first ones he did not develop a temp over 102! (So happy!)

Thanks so much for the advice :) I plan on getting out of the house as soon as I feel comfortable enough-but I get cold easily and won't be delivering until the fall-so the summer walking season is out. I'll rely on the carriers more for everyday stuff around the house/church/family visits than anything. One of the fears I had about bringing out a NB was just what you mentioned (germ exposure) while I plan on BF and know that the baby will get my antibodies that way I still just wasn't comfortable bringing out a brand new baby for everyone to ogle over. THIS makes since and I'm so happy you shared that-decreases my fears about leaving the house earlier a bit :)

diamondseeker2006 said:
My daughter has used the Sear's The Baby Book and The Vaccine Book and does a lot of attachment parenting things. She has a sling but the baby has been held more than she has been in the sling! She has done extremely well with breastfeeding and getting sleep because the baby does sleep with her (to the right of her and with a bedrail, not between the two parents which is dangerous). I will have to tell you, this baby is very relaxed and content! (The only thing I do not like from the list you named was the elimination communication, because I think this is more parent training than child training! It seems like unnecessary stress to me! Oh, and I love disposable diapers! They are wonderful and keep baby drier, imo.) We have friends who delivered baby #2,3, and 4 (a week ago) at home. I think that is great for those who make that choice, but my daughter opted for a midwife and natural birth in the hospital and went home the next day.

I have also read that you do have to be careful about the type of slings because some are bad for the baby. My son-in-law is a chiropractor and he is very cautious about that.

I love all the pictures of your little ones, ladies!

We plan on having something next to the bed for the baby to sleep in-that way feeding/changing isn't such a huge deal since we have an upstairs loft but the nursery is downstairs on the main floor. Nothing like sleep deprivation and being woken up by a crying baby though a monitor to make your night lol. So we'll co-sleep until we feel ready to transition down to the crib.

About the EC-the book addresses your very reaction (parent training) but for us it's nothing extra. I'll be at home all day with the baby already and I'd prefer to put in some extra effort during the early years and have less diapers to wash then do more laundry and deal with potty training later on. My midwife did it with all 4 of her kids (2 which were boys) and she actually didn't use diapers really at all. The book talks about part time EC and full time and most people do a combo of it. Both of her sons were fully potty trained by 18 months and there are tons of super cute pictures with newborns and very young babies smiling on the potty that just makes my heart sing (not bc of them being on the potty-but because they look so happy to do it on the potty) and they have a TON of useful tools to make it easier. I don't expect to catch every potty/poo but I figure it can't hurt to try it :)

The carriers you do need to be careful about and make sure you are using the proper ones and wearing them properly. My midwife also used carriers and there are tons of baby wearing groups in the GTA and so hopefully I'll meet some mom's who can show me the ropes but there are great online resources as well. I've watched quite a few videos so far :)

Bella_mezzo said:
Our son was 2 1/2 when he joined our family through adoption, but our Boba carrier was a lifesaver! He LOVED it, it has helped him and us so much. The first 3 months he was in it exclusively when we left the house, then we only used it when he was having a rough day or when we went somewhere where people would try to interact with him too much. He's now 3 1/2 and I used it for an 18 hour day in NYC (we took family who were visiting to Chinatown, Little Italy, Staten Island Ferry, little Italy again, and a whole bunch of walking) he was thrilled to be back in it and it was still really comfortable for me (and SO much easier than lugging a stroller).

If we ever have an infant I will use a sleepy wrap as many friends have loved it :bigsmile:

Thanks so much for sharing :) I'm so excited to baby wear and to hear all these stories and see pictures is very encouraging :)

monarch64 said:
I plan to wear our baby as much as possible if she will tolerate it. Some kids apparently don't like it! I haven't purchased a wrap or sling yet, thought I'd wait and try some out at a local shop here first to see what fits us best.

Our community is pretty crunchy and among the more educated folk it is mainstream now to cloth diaper, baby wear, co-sleep, etc. Even the main hospital is pretty pro-natural birth and very up to date as far as helping women labor the way they want to instead of just strapping them into the bed and telling them when to push.

I did not know much about attachment parenting at all before I became pregnant and started reading. The term itself sounds sort of negative, in my opinion, but I was pleasantly surprised by everything I read and a lot of it sounds like it will fit right in with our current childless lifestyle. I will say that I am not married to any particular way of doing things, we are taking a whatever works approach to all of this. As much as I like to plan things in life, I am pretty sure child-rearing is total trial and error so I don't want to get my hopes up or my mind set on any one method. I am all for people being totally committed to their method of choice, though, don't get me wrong!

I hop e our baby lies it too-we'll find out though! My friends are quite crunchy as well and I agree the "attachment" term is kind of...creepy sounding lol. Coming from a very abusive/neglectful background I got labeled as "reactive attachment disorder" which basically meant that I couldn't bond/trust with anyone. And until my DH I did have many issues-but thankfully have worked though most of them and don't think I have "attachment" issues any more lol!

I also wasn't really aware that the things that felt right while reading were more "attachment" in style-but many of them are. Not all of them-we will try and see how things work with our family and our child best and go from there.

Thanks so much for sharing pancake and blackberry!

megumic said:
We plan to babywear as much as possible when our LO arrives, so long as he or she likes it. So far I have picked up a sling and also bought a Beco Butterfly II off CL. I am registered for a Moby wrap as well. We're hopeful it is a convenient way to calm the LO while also providing the comfort and security of being near me or DH.

I'm not yet sure that our parenting style is attachment, but we do plan to cloth diaper, breast feed and have a water birth.

I LOVE craigslist and kijiji-it's the best place to find gently used baby items for great prices! When are you due? I'm really hoping that a waterbirth works for us-I know things are hit or miss on any delivery but even more so for your first :)

Skippy: I was wondering if you wore the twins! I just saw the cutest picture of a mom wearing BOTH her babies (twins). Such a trooper! I can't even imagine carrying 2 little ones around!!

Laila: Thanks so much for the great photo example. I've been reading about the "frog legs" for carriers and I can't wait to try them out on our baby. I have so much to do before the arrival and I'm grateful there's still a few months of cooking left to get all prepared lol!

Pandora: Thanks so much for chiming in. I realize a water birth is in an ideal world and things aren't usually ideal. I'm only 45 minutes away from the hospital though and they are really great about the midwives still having control-but I would prefer to avoid that if possible. I've heard mainly positive things about EC but I do know that some kids just won't have anything to do with it. We plan on starting right away (watching for a while and then within the first couple of weeks doing the sound association/etc) and seeing what happens. Worst case I have more laundry to do :) We won't be able to hang dry outside but we will have a wood stove and I have a wood hanging rack which I'll use to dry most of the diapers and then also use the dryer when needed :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I didn't carry them Both around! One lived at the hospital for 3 months so the other one I would wear.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the thread VL. Geez, I didn't know that wearing babies is considered attachment parenting.

Question: How and when did you all choose your carrier? I was all set to buy the Ergo, then I read that it depends on the baby whether they like it or not. So now my plan is to wait until I push him out, then try several styles at the local store to see which he likes best. Is this dumb? Did you ladies buy it before your LO was born?
How long will it take to realize that your child doesn't like it? What are the chances of him being calm and happy at the store, and hates it 5 hours after you buy it? Did your LO change their minds?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I don't ascribe to any particular parenting style, I just do what works for us, and that is ever changing. I used the Bjorn for a while, hated it as it hurt my back as well, then switched to an ergo. My daughter is two and I still use it when we walk to dinner, the farmer's market, or any busy place where we'll have to do a lot of walking. I love it because I can shove it in my backpack at the zoo and it isn't a hinderance to drag along like a stroller.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
choro72|1337219914|3197041 said:
Thanks for the thread VL. Geez, I didn't know that wearing babies is considered attachment parenting.

Question: How and when did you all choose your carrier? I was all set to buy the Ergo, then I read that it depends on the baby whether they like it or not. So now my plan is to wait until I push him out, then try several styles at the local store to see which he likes best. Is this dumb? Did you ladies buy it before your LO was born?
How long will it take to realize that your child doesn't like it? What are the chances of him being calm and happy at the store, and hates it 5 hours after you buy it? Did your LO change their minds?

Hi Choro,

I decided to get a moby wrap and ergo well before the baby arrived. I decided on these mostly due to the great reviews that both receive. I would not suggest waiting until little one arrives for a few reasons. First, I just liked having everything that I needed at home already. Second, not sure how comfortable you would be taking a newborn out shopping. Some people are comfy with this, but I was not. I think my pedi said wait 6 weeks before even taking baby to family functions. We waited 'til well after that before taking her shopping. This was during winter, so right in the middle of cold season. Everyone is different, and pedis offer differing advice as well -- just something to think about!

I'm also not sure that you would be able to tell if baby truly likes the carrier in the store. Might take a few tries. Try it out at a few different times. Also, not sure how many babies truly don't like carriers. When I first put S in a carrier, she hated it. Then I read that you should really walk around with baby in carrier. Babies love movement! So, while S hated the carrier with me just standing there wondering why she didn't like it, she was happy as a clam once we started moving around.

Another idea is to order from Amazon. They have a very liberal return policy (please confirm that this is still in place!) for baby items. When I ordered, it was free returns for 12 months! Completely no hassle too. So, if baby really does not like it, you can always return it.

Oh, re: moby vs. Ergo. I used the moby in the early days, and the Ergo when she got bigger. You can also get an infant insert for the ergo (so you technically wouldn't need a wrap, like the moby), but I kind of liked our system. I honestly didn't wear her very much in the very early days. We were always home, and I was always pumping so it didn't make sense for us to wrap and unwrap all of the time. I still really liked it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Choro, I also think the carrier is one of those items that is good to have prior to having the baby. I was pretty adventurous with my newborn--we were leaving the house every day prior to the 2-week mark--but I think I may have been a little squeamish about putting K in the "sample" carriers.

And honestly, I had K in the Ergo literally the day we got home from the hospital (I had laundry to do). I found that having it at home and ready to go made my life easier.

I think the baby will be happy in any carrier you get, really the main concern is your comfort. So feel free to go to a baby store and try them on (the store I went to even had fake babies you could stick in there) and choose the one you like best.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
When I got the Mei Tai, I went to a shop with a load of different kinds and tried them out with Daisy.

Found that I hated anything with straps that attached (like the Ergo) and really liked the ones that you self-tie to the height and tightness that you want. They're a bit trickier at first but much easier afterwards - I could let it out a bit to bring her lower to feed and then pull it tight up again to hold her better afterwards. When she was bigger I put the knot under her bottom to give some extra support, when she was smaller across the back - I loved the flexibility.

There were a number of things that Daisy loved in the shop and hated as soon as we got them home - the baby bouncer for one and the Bumbo for another.

I would probably buy a Moby before the baby is born.

I also recommend getting a small hand pump before shelling out for an electric one just in case you can't/decide not to breastfeed - it also gives your boobs a rest in the early days of hellish pain when they were black and raw... I did one day pump and next feed for a couple of weeks to get my supply up. Do not believe anyone who tells you it's painless if you get the latch right - it's not, it's grim and toe-curling for the first couple of weeks for 99% of people - after 3 weeks it gets a lot easier though.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Baby wearing is the BOMB!! I used to marvel at my daughter as she Moby wrapped my first granddaughter all by herself. I said "Dang, how many times did you have to watch a video to figure that out?" "Is it secure?" Yada, yada, yada.

Fast forward to my second granddaughter and we are at Disneyland. The stroller wasn't working, we needed more space to put bags and crap, and my daughter needed to take over with the toddler. So she asked me if I wanted to wear my granddaughter. I was like "Ummm, okay, sure!"

I was a little apprehensive because I broke my back in 2010 and didn't want to jack it up, but my concern was quashed as soon as I was sufficiently "wrapped". It was THE.BEST.THING.EVER!! I couldn't believe how convenient is was to have two hands available to get in, down, up and out of the Nemo ride with a baby on my chest. Other parents were looking at me in the way a kid looks at their Mom after yelling "Look Mom, no hands" :D

Not to mention how much the baby liked it. We kept staring at each other while waiting in lines and looking up at lights and generally bonding. I didn't want to unwrap her.

My daughter belongs to a wrap group so they exchange wraps among themselves which is very economical. She has several in her vehicle at all times. My son-in-law wears his daughter too. It's simply awesome.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
DD is 4 weeks old today. I have two carriers - a sleepy wrap and a manduca (almost identical to an Ergo). We haven't used them a huge amount but we are gradually increasing it. I mainly use the sleepy wrap at home and the manduca when out and about - only because the manduca is MUCH easier to put on (although I find the sleepy wrap easy, it just takes a lot more time to do and I still need a mirror to put her in).

DD LOVES both of them. She doesn't manage to stay awake more than 5 minutes when I put her in them, and she stays asleep the whole time. I think it is like being swaddled - she is held tightly and secure, and even better, she is snuggled up against my chest! She really doesn't like being put down when awake either and I imagine the carriers will be useful when she starts spending more time awake during the day.

I think you have much more chance of babies liking it if they are introduced to it as a newborn, although there are some babies that just don't like it!

I prefer the feel of the sleepy wrap, it is nice and soft. The manduca is comfortable, except I feel like the shoulder straps come up a bit too high where they come around the front under my arms. But I don't remember it doing that when I tried it on while pregnant, so I think DH and I need to have a play with adjusting the straps to see if that makes a difference. I wore the manduca today for a 4km walk and I was comfortable the whole time, although it did get a bit hot.

I also really like wearing her as I love having her so close to me - a handsfree snuggle!

I bought both carriers when pregnant after reading a lot of reviews. I decided while pregnant that I really wanted to babywear, and I wanted to do it for both convenience reasons and an attraction to attachment parenting type practices. I am not following attachment parenting really though, I just decided that I want to babywear, breastfeed for at least 12 months and not practice CIO. I don't co-sleep at night, but we co-sleep for the occasional nap.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping since I'd love to see photos and have others share. I'll post pictures when I'm on my comptuer of my wrap but we got the ergo performance that we have yet to use but I'll review that when we do!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results