shape
carat
color
clarity

Any apple pie tips?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kids want to make an apple pie and I''ve never made one before so I''m hoping for cooking tips. (I''ve desperately tried talking my kids out of it and saying it''d be more fun to make a pumpkin pie, but my son is insisting I make one - as I promised - lol, so I feel guilty not following through on this one. . .)
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best secret is to bake it on low as long as humanly possible, don''t try to bake it quickly. At least 2 hours. That''ll just make the apples literally melt and it''s amazing.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made my first apple pies a little while ago after we went apple picking.

Now, I''m a total novice so don''t laugh at me for not knowing this, BUT I didn''t put a baking sheet under my first pie to catch all of the goo that oozes out of the pie. It was really burnt and nasty by the time the pie was done, so put a baking sheet under your pie to save yourself a lot of clean up! (And my entire kitchen was filled with smoke, too. It was a disaster.) The pie tasted like heaven, though.

Also, overstuff your pie, the apples deflate so pile up as many as you can to get a nice, full pie.
I used a mix of three different types of apples recommended for pies, I think I found that info on an apple orchard website.

Don''t forget the vanilla ice cream!

I bought a great apple slicer/peeler/decorer at Williams Sonoma. I highly recommend one, it makes the entire process go so quickly.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks *so* much for mentioning the baking sheet. That is something I wouldn''t have thought of AT ALL!
1.gif
lol I''m not much of a baker.

That recipe sounds really good. Should I try cooking that on a lower heat for longer? Like NF was saying, that lower eat heat makes it melt all yummy like. . .my speciality is cooking meat and I always sear and then turn the heat down to ultra low and it turns out super juicy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 3:12:22 PM
Author: MC
Thanks *so* much for mentioning the baking sheet. That is something I wouldn't have thought of AT ALL!
1.gif
lol I'm not much of a baker.

That recipe sounds really good. Should I try cooking that on a lower heat for longer? Like NF was saying, that lower eat heat makes it melt all yummy like. . .my speciality is cooking meat and I always sear and then turn the heat down to ultra low and it turns out super juicy.

Yes. Cook it lower and for longer IMO. If the top crust starts to get too brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil around the edges and continue baking.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, yes--the foil around the edges works really well. I did that with my second pie and the crust didn''t burn one bit.

Now you''ve inspired me to bake another apple pie!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I love baking apple pies. Like someone else suggested, I like to mix up my apples- I usually use apples with varying levels of sweetness and firmness. All of the various flavors and textures blend together really nicely and make the pie really interesting. When I''m in a hurry I save time (and cheat) and use the Pillsbury crust that you can roll out. Don''t use the generic version though, it''s just not the same and tends to be too dry. Here is a link to the recipe I like to use:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222279

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Also, preheat your baking sheet while your oven is preheating. It''ll disperse the heat more evenly for a fully done crust. And, make sure you brush your top crust with a beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar. It will make it brown and crystally.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 8:05:39 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Also, preheat your baking sheet while your oven is preheating. It''ll disperse the heat more evenly for a fully done crust. And, make sure you brush your top crust with a beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar. It will make it brown and crystally.

Ohhh yeah. Sugar on top is great!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much again everyone. I made Appletini''s recipe and the pie turned out wonderfully. Instead of 6 granny smith apples, I used 4 of those and 2 pink lady''s. Also, instead of butter I used Coconut Oil.

Yum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results