shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on this spess/diamond combo

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
What do you think of the combo below? Spess is better than shown...no extinction but not "top color". It has no brown but is not as saturated as it could be, on the other hand it's 3.38 and really clean for a spess with only two feathers in one corner. I paid $150/ct. I guess you could say I like it a lot but am not head over heals for it. It would be a huge pain to return though. Do you think it's worthy of using my .60 studs for sides? That was what I bought them for but emerald cut earrings are unique and I do love wearing them but I will also be reunited with my favorite .78 OEC studs next month which will likely be worn 24/7.

If I use the emeralds should I do melee down the shank too?

110715 021.JPG

110715 024.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
It's a great size and if you see no brown, then I LOVE it.

I like it with the emerald sides, but I probably wouldn't do melee down the shank. I think the three stone with a plain band would have a lovely classic look. Seems like with the emerald sides, you might have total finger coverage, too -- so melee wouldn't be needed. But of course, that's personal preference talking.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look really nice together in your photo. The proportions and shapes of the stones really compliment each other. However, if you're not in love with the spessartite, why bother even setting it?

As for the spess, although it's not top color, it has the following going for it
1) Nice size
2) Nice cutting (no visible windows)
3) Very clean (which is rare for most spessartites) - I suspect this is Nigerian material.
4) Not overly brown
5) Not top, but nice orange saturation.

Not everything has to be "top" color to be enjoyed and loved, but again, YOU have to love it.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
TL|1310831142|2970356 said:
I think they look really nice together in your photo. The proportions and shapes of the stones really compliment each other. However, if you're not in love with the spessartite, why bother even setting it?

As for the spess, although it's not top color, it has the following going for it
1) Nice size
2) Nice cutting (no visible windows)
3) Very clean (which is rare for most spessartites) - I suspect this is Nigerian material.
4) Not overly brown
5) Not top, but nice orange saturation.

Not everything has to be "top" color to be enjoyed and loved, but again, YOU have to love it.

This is good insight. I've always been Miss "good enough". I suspect I might really love it when it's set. I'm certainly not going to fork out 4,000 to get one that has all of the above qualities AND top color. The modified emerald cut is unusual, nicely executed and goes well with the sides.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
fierypyropixy|1310829312|2970352 said:
It's a great size and if you see no brown, then I LOVE it.

I like it with the emerald sides, but I probably wouldn't do melee down the shank. I think the three stone with a plain band would have a lovely classic look. Seems like with the emerald sides, you might have total finger coverage, too -- so melee wouldn't be needed. But of course, that's personal preference talking.

Great point! I hate the feeling of rough sides, so probably won't do melee. This is why my e-ring is so often alone. tip-to-tip of the leafy things on my e-ring is 19mm which is close to full coverage but not enough to rub...the spess + sides will be 18mm so that's just about right and purdy blingy on a size 4. Thanks!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I also have emerald cut studs I've been pondering as using as sides in a ring....I like the way it looks together. I suspect it may look spectacular when set.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The important thing - how the stone looks on your hand: fabulous! It looks more saturated and makes me think a slightly enclosed setting may help a bit. I think the combination looks lovely together and am wondering if you don't use melee down the shank, might it look a little standard? Is a way you can add some unique metal element as part of the setting around the stones? I can't remember whether you like milgraining, but you are my idol when it comes to designing settings - my all time favorite is your (Hunt County?) scary :devil: pink tourm setting... :love:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1310836358|2970384 said:
The important thing - how the stone looks on your hand: fabulous! It looks more saturated and makes me think a slightly enclosed setting may help a bit. I think the combination looks lovely together and am wondering if you don't use melee down the shank, might it look a little standard? Is a way you can add some unique metal element as part of the setting around the stones? I can't remember whether you like milgraining, but you are my idol when it comes to designing settings - my all time favorite is your (Hunt County?) scary :devil: pink tourm setting... :love:

I love milgraining! I wonder if hunt country does it, I haven't seen any examples in their shop. They do do a fantastic job at coming up with unique additions. The profiles of the baskets of their rings are really beautiful and unusual. I am sad and embarrassed to report I have some flea bites on the girdle of my sinister tourm. I so hope it can be Repolished!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1310838039|2970391 said:
I am sad and embarrassed to report I have some flea bites on the girdle of my sinister tourm. I so hope it can be Repolished!

Yes, Sinister! That's the right word! God, I luuurve that ring! What do you mean by flea bites? Little nicks or something?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Yes, nicks :angryfire:
I had one too many and damaged both my wedding set and tourm. No idea what happened but I was dancing the Swahili electric slide. :oops:

Even though I'm in Tanzania through a logistical feat rivaling the Olympic torch carrying my wedding set has already been to single stone and back and is good as new. My hubs is going to US again and I'm going to have him make a drop of goodies at hunt country for me to retrieve in December.

ETA- I made a mistake, the spessartite is 3.8 carats!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a good stone, and at such a weight, it can have a few imperfections. The reason I have decided to express my opinion is because we are in the same boat - I am in the process of setting a 5.2-ct Lloliondo, or at least I bought it as a Lloliondo. (TL would probably say a Nigerian, and likely, will be right... ;)). It has a little bit of brownish. Also, 1/2 extinction, but at such a size, beggars can not be choosers...

The problem I ran into, the more you cover a spessartite in a setting, the more brownish it becomes.. So I ended up with the simplest setting.

The way I see it, your diamonds are emerald-cut and elongated and as such are going to cover certain portions of the sides... preventing light from entering the stone from the sides and making it seem more brownish. Also, the diamonds themselves are bright and white and can make the stone look cognac-y by contrast. Just my two/one cent...

I shall post my link. I have thought of dozens of ways to set mine and finally chose a very simple one. The photos are horrible, but the stone now is with a jeweler so I can not redo them.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colors-of-autumn-and-summer.151344/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colors-of-autumn-and-summer.151344/[/URL]

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
thank you, Crasru. I can't wait to see yours set. I think in the current juxtaposition the diamOnds are complementary but it could be a different story once set. My big fear is it will look like a cheap citrine with expensive sides. My mint garnet in my avatar is not "top color" and even Tanzania gem dealers who deal in grossular inevitably ask if it's peridot. I do love love love my mint (so much livelier than peridot) but I don't want to pay spess price for something that's going to look like citrine. I do see some extinction but nothing like it's photographed. I really don't see brown though. What metal are you using? I was thinking it will be brightest with the contrast of white gold.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I was thinking, yellow, just because I am using my own recycled gold. White will probably look very good, though. I totally understand the feeling, and yes, it does look a little bit like citrine but only color-wise, higher RI saves the day...

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I think the spess is beautiful: it has good color, good cutting and it's a nice size. The emerald sides look great with it as well, as well as the proportions. We all want the perfect stone with perfect color but it may not always be the most sensible decision, even if you have the budget.

I have to keep reminding myself that a set stone is much more useful than an unset one. At least you can wear it, enjoy it and add it to your collection.

You may even love it once it's set. ;))

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
platinumrock|1310849316|2970497 said:
I have to keep reminding myself that a set stone is much more useful than an unset one. )

Ain't that the truth! I would love to see everyone's loose stones they're hoarding in one picture. I bet they would fill Fort Knox.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Judging by your new avatar, Kelpie, you are certainly moving in that direction... :bigsmile: Love it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think the proportions look good, and setting the spess next to diamonds will make the color pop. I think melee in the shank of a 3 stone makes it look more dressy, and of course it would have to be handled more carefully. If you did put diamonds in the shank, I think carres would look very classy. If you're on the fence about diamonds on the shank, I would make the decision depending on your lifestyle and how you'll wear the ring.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think your stones make a beautiful combo! I probably wouldn't add melee down the shank, although I do like pregcurious' suggestion for the carre cuts...

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the combo. I think yellow gold and the diamonds will bring out the best in your Spess!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That combo looks great! then again, i'm biased... i've got something similar styled in the works w/ daniel m, but w/ a much smaller spinel. :)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1310867107|2970628 said:
I think the proportions look good, and setting the spess next to diamonds will make the color pop. I think melee in the shank of a 3 stone makes it look more dressy, and of course it would have to be handled more carefully. If you did put diamonds in the shank, I think carres would look very classy. If you're on the fence about diamonds on the shank, I would make the decision depending on your lifestyle and how you'll wear the ring.

I love carres but they are $$$. Last fall I bought a bargain carre band off ebay for use in projects like this and wouldn't you know it's the only thing I've ever had lost in the mail. Thank goodness for both me and the seller she'd insured it. I always have my eye out for another but can't find anything like it in my price range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results