carat
color
clarity

Winding up 2014....Wishing for 2015

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alright! It's that time of year again!

What colored stones did you buy in 2014? What projects did you complete? :appl:

And what are you hoping to complete and/or purchase in 2015? I wanna see those wish lists! :naughty:

(Don't forget, as always, pics are highly appreciated!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think I bought any gems this year. I doubt I will buy anything next year as well unless I happen to find the right champagne diamond. Other than that, I must get some gems set in 2015.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I bought this year:

tml110.jpg

tpz011.jpg

jdamethystps1420.jpg

jdgreyspinelps1803.jpg

More in next post.

DK :bigsmile:

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm still in the process of trying to make a purchase - my unicorn 10x10mm blue-green stone. ;-) I've attached a couple color inspiration photos. If I'm able to find it before the end of the year, I'll have to wait until late 2015 to get it set.

tou011.jpg

lagoon-blue-tourmaline-15ct.jpg

101011151.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jdspinelpairps0916.jpg

jdspinelpt83ct.jpg

pinktoumalinetoup1046.jpg

My CS Wish list for 2015:

17mm+ round cut Danburite
9.5mm x 9.5mm trillion cut blue Zircon
A Cuprian/Paraiba type Tourmaline oval cabochon to go with the pair of pink Tourmaline cabochon pears above

That will do for now.

DK :bigsmile:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I was a busy stone buyer in 2014 and have managed to set one of the stones. I almost sold my Mastercut blue zircon, then had a change of heart and kept it. It arrived yesterday set in a YG swirled bezel ring done by Diamond Zone. It looks amazing, so super happy with that decision :bigsmile:

I also bought a 2.92ct Nigerian spess cushion from Roger Dery. I love this stone! It's 7.4mm and so sparkly. I'm still trying to decide how to set it so that will be a 2015 project.

Earlier in the year I bought a gray supernova oval from JuliaB. 2.04ct, actually purchased 12-13. Still unset but I have a design idea for it, I intend to set it with a pair of pear cut Chryso's purchased from Jeff Davies. Need to figure out who to have make the setting. Another 2015 project.

I also have a gray spinel cushion from Jeff Davies that is quite dark but beautifully cut and huge. That's on my setting list as well.

My biggest purchase was a commissioned asscher sapphire from Jeff White. It's 2.98ct and 7.42mm. I have so many setting ideas for this stone & know the setting will be my biggest expense so this will have to be a 2015 project, although it will probably bump to the top of the setting list as far as budgeting goes.

I'm attaching vendor pic's of some stones. I'm having a hell of a time saving pictures to my computer from google chrome. I uploaded tapatalk so I'll try to add my handshots to this thread. I honestly would participate a lot more on this forum but am always frustrated trying to save & upload pictures.

mc_zircon_1.jpg

_23877.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not as active as a lot of people, LOL, but... got my itty bitty demantoid set:

demantoidring.jpg

I also bought a teeny little oval topaz from Jerry Newman, that I don't have photos of at the moment. It's the one I'm waiting to get back from DanielM, but it will be in an argentium silver ring, which will feature two leaves in a sort of bypass design, with a vine that twines around the ring. The topaz will be in the middle, set horizontally between the leaves. I don't think the metal will play up the color all that much but I wanted a simple silver ring, the stone was just a bonus.

Also got my big topaz from Dana at Mastercut:

danatopaz2.jpg

And a lovely 5MM grey spinel that has some nice undertones of pink/lavender:

spinel2_1.jpg

That's currently with Sally at Heart of Water to be put in a pendant for my sister in law. It sounds like it got bumped up on their schedule so I should see it soon (possibly even before my topaz ring, HA!)

Before the end of the year I'm looking for a small pair of amethyst or purple sapphire earrings (or perhaps a bracelet, not sure) for my BFF. Nothing too fancy, but want to get her something pretty.

Next year, getting the big topaz set (still deciding on pendant vs. ring, and how I want that to go).

The "wish list" for stones - I want a nice cushion or oval blue zircon for a pendant - haloed with white topaz and rubies, and with our family monogram on the back. Zircon is my son's birthstone (I prefer this very much over blue topaz, LOL), topaz is mine, and ruby is my husband's.

I also really want a spessartite and a spinel of my own, now that I've seen how pretty a light grey spinel can be!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Okay adding a few more pictures 8)

And two handshots of loose stones I intend to set this year. I can't get a decent picture of the asscher sapphire. I'll eventually do a thread on that stone so hope I can capture some nice pictures by then.
There are different stones featured in each picture.

My pictures are so washed out. As you can see in my earlier post the zircon and spess are very vibrant. Those are the colors I see IRL but can't capture with my galaxy camera.

mc_zircon_handshot_ring.jpg

mc_zircon_handshot_closer.jpg

handshot_group_close.jpg

handshot_group.jpg

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Well...I am almost embarrassed to post everything I have bought this year, but this was the year that I discovered PS and fell down a rabbit hole of getting obsessed with learning about CS (I am even taking some GIA courses for kicks). I bought an inexpensive glass front gem case that has 25 little plexiglass gem boxes inside, so I figure I am OK until the case gets full...right? And most of my purchases have been under $200-ish "learner" stones (some considerably less), and boy have I learned. :lol:

My favourites so far have been:
1.88ct sphene from Brad the gem trader set into a pendant by my H and DK. Dispersion, yay! :appl:
p1060341.jpg
1.46ct lavender spinel from D&J rare gems. I bought a handful of lavender/lilac/purple/silver spinels this year, and this was the one that is the exact colour I wanted. (forgot to save the vendor photo)
2014-11-06_09.jpg
1.29 ct Merelani mint garnet from Weblorn. Her photo does this stone no justice. It has some cutting issues, as you can see in the pic, but what it doesn't show at all is the bright, almost radioactive, ever so slightly blu-ish mint. No yellow. The colour IRL is fantastic, and it is such a lively sparkly gem!
mint-garnet-129oval.jpg
2.08 ct tourmaline from Dana at Mastercut. I was a little hesitant about this one, not wanting a second brown-ish gem, but I am glad I took a chance. This tourm is a rich, copper colour, impeccable Dana cutting, and is going to look amazing set in rose gold!
mastercut_tourmaline.jpg

What I have learned:
I like my spinels light to medium to be able to appreciate the sparkle!
If the vendor photo looks dark it is probably even darker IRL.
I can forgive some cutting issues, but ONLY if the colour is fantastic.
Be careful of the cut on ovals particularly.
I am drawn to pale peachy stones, but they disappear on my skin. Boo.
Only take the money and time to set what you really, really love.
I can appreciate gems in smaller sizes, which is great for the pocketbook.
I am not particularly clarity sensitive, but a lousy cut will really, really bug me.

In 2015:
I hope to settle down in my new puppy bounciness, and collect what I really love in a more focused way. Fewer purchases, exactly what I want.
The next thing to be set will be an 8.5mm amethyst pair into dangle earrings. After that we shall see...my H wants to take another crack at setting a gem(s) with DK, since he really enjoyed surprising me with it last time. I may hand over the copper tourm and see what happens, and I do have a pear shaped emerald in the mail right now! I would also really like to do a project with pearls and gems, maybe lavender spinels and lavender metallics? See, I am starting to bounce again! The focus thing is hard.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purchased a 7 carat minty prehnite that I would like to set in a rose gold setting one of these days in the near future. Here's a pic of it in the sunlight (left) and in diffused light.

I've been on a cabochon kick lately, I am awaiting getting over to the jewelers to pick up my tsavorite ring (sitting unset in the mounting, bottom photo). It's 4 carats.

tlprehnite.jpg

tltsavoritering.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In 2014 I discovered colored stones due to PS! I have been on a roll and have two projects coming up. After that I will be so banned for 2014!

_23896.jpg

_23897.jpg

_23898.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Some of my favorite acquisitions this year:

1. Mahenge Spinels: cushion 2.71cts - 8.5 x 7.2mm, and round 6mm

2. Minty Blue-Green Garnet

3. Trio of Mozambique tourmalines

img_7328.jpg

img_7337.jpg

img_5997.jpg

img_7354.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy cow Xrisus!!!!! Those are blinding!

Awesome 2014 bling everyone! I'm amazed at how many beautiful projects people have completed! I feel like sometimes a lot of them get lost over the year, so I love having a kind of "year in review" thread towards the end.

As for me:

2014:

1. 7 stone hot pink spinel and diamond
2. Jeff White pink spinel asscher three stone
3. Red spinel step cut 5 stone
4. Emerald split shank pave ring
5. Blue topaz oval with traps
6. Lavender sapphire in a halo
7. Purple spinel studs

And before the end of the year, I am hoping to have the following in hand:
1. Oval violet sapphire
2. My engagement ring reset (blue spinel from Barry)

I didn't really buy any loose colored stones, just the oval sapphire that's hopefully going to be set soon!

This was really the "Year of The Band" for me, though, as the vast majority of my money and efforts went into a big diamond OEC band, and I also accumulated a super thin pave band, a lighter pink sapphire band in rose gold and had a carre cut band made as well. Ah, and I got new diamond studs!

I'm really hoping to set the rest of my stones. Especially my pad, mint garnets (I have three I need to set!), red spinel melee for a band, and some more. 2016 will probably be the year I finally reset my big blue Barry spinel, as I have big plans for it, and it'll take a decent chunk of change! I also want to reset my Barry cuprian and my big hot pink Mahenge, but since they are already set, I can wait a while for those.

ETA: I just realized that all of the pics I posted have the rings at the same angle. Lol!

_23909.jpg

_23910.jpg

_23911.jpg

pink_12.jpg

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Wow, everyone's stones are beautiful! I've been on a bit of a buying hiatus for the second half of this year. Did buy a few pieces, some already set, a couple I have threads on. May try to add some here later, as I'm not at home now, but, just wanted to say I love :love: everyone's bling!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus... holy moly... those Mahenges, garnet and cuprians are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (worthy of ALL CAPS and !!!!! ) :naughty: :naughty: Will you set them in 2015?

Here's my list of 2014 completed projects/purchased pieces (both CS and diamonds)

2.24 ct / 8.1 mm Pinkish-purple (plum) OEC spinel in bezel halo ring in RG (custom order) by Julia B
5-stone Mahenge spinel and chrysoberyl hexagon bezel ring from Yvonne Raley
5-stone tsavorite garnet ring from Yvonne Raley
1.52 ct Tanzanite halo ring in RG with diamonds (custom order) by Heart of Water
2 ct Mozambique cuprian halo ring in RG with pink sapphires (custom order) by Heart of Water
Egg pendant in YG with sapphires (a gift) (custom order) by Heart of Water
Lapis Lazuli cabochon ring in YG (custom order) by Heart of Water
Oregon sunstone lotus pendant in YG (custom order) by Heart of Water
7.86 ct Rose quartz pendant in YG (custom order) by Heart of Water

In progress, should be done by end of December 2014:
Dangly pear-shaped emerald earrings in yellow gold by Heart of Water
Mint/seafoam Afghan tourmaline in rose gold vintage-inspired ring setting by Heart of Water

Purchased loose "learner" stones. Don't think I'll get around to setting these any time soon, unfortunately. They were all inexpensive (all except the ametrine were under $60) so not too bad for a beginner
0.53 ct oval emerald from Tan
4.15 ct square step cut ametrine from Dana
1.03 ct medium-dark bluish purple spinel oval from Tan
3.12 ct light blue aqua pear from Jason Brim
1.25 ct lavender spinel oval from Chris Auletta

Planned for 2015:
Mostly devoted to finding my 1.7-2.5ct OEC, so CS will be on the back burner.
setting my 3.5 ct Afghan pink tourmaline in 3-stone RG ring (if budget allows)
yellow CS ring, maybe chryso, FCD, or sapphire (if budget allows)

Photos:
uploadfromtaptalk1411707384983.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1404464649187.jpg
20140627_151302.jpg
tanzy_outdoor.jpg
cuprian_outdoor.jpg
2014-10-31_17_2.jpg
2014-10-31_11.jpg
sunstone_0.jpg
rq1.jpg

In progress:
uploadfromtaptalk1411174768506.jpg

For 2015:
503a_large.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am droooooling!

Xrisus, I have no idea how you found those pariabas but they are delicious!

mastercut_spinel_26251.jpg

ovaljadite3.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The stones above are a pink spinel from Sri Lanka, and a jadeite.

I also got my ering diamond reset with a yellow diamond halo. I'm very satisfied with it.

img_5998.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious,

That jade cab is beautiful. I love its translucency and color. It looks like a most delicious gummy candy!! Yum yum yum~~ :tongue: :tongue:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mochiko. I can't wait to set it...maybe next year will be my year for setting stones?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving this thread, thanks everyone for sharing!

DK :love:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1415291860|3778596 said:
Well...I am almost embarrassed to post everything I have bought this year, but this was the year that I discovered PS and fell down a rabbit hole of getting obsessed with learning about CS (I am even taking some GIA courses for kicks). I bought an inexpensive glass front gem case that has 25 little plexiglass gem boxes inside, so I figure I am OK until the case gets full...right? And most of my purchases have been under $200-ish "learner" stones (some considerably less), and boy have I learned. :lol:

You aren't alone and I am officially using this thread to formalize my resolution that I have wound up my purchases for 2014 and promise to refrain in 2015. These beauties on this thread are like waving crack in front of an addict so I need to stay away. :wall:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Limosun, I understand your feelings. For Lent, I abstained from PS, and it "cured" me of my gem obsession. I have not bought a gem since, but I have had time to carefully reflect and do plan on buying a 2 specific stones to finish my collection. I'll buy the stones very carefully, instead of being impulsive. They have to be the right ones.

I forgot to post that I also bought a 2.23 ct spinel that shifts from pink to lavender

photo_924.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless I get a much better bonus later this month than expected, I am unlikely to set the pink oval Spinel and the pair of purple round Spinels in a ring until after Christmas.

It will be one of these two settings, in polished white metal, a Gypsy ring without diamonds, or a Bombé ring with two diamond bands:

vintage_gypsy_rings.jpg

or this:

bombering.jpg

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. :love: :love: :love:
I have no pics to add but just wanted to say how I am loving seeing PSers GORGEOUS gems and thank you for sharing. They are all so yummy. :lickout:

Please keep posting more and thank you. :appl:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa, you lot have been busy. :devil: I'm enjoying looking through what everyone has.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the quality and the quantity of what everybody has done.

I was fully prepared to proudly admit that I have not bought anything this year, until I looked it up, heh, heh, heh!

I've continued my love affair with Roger Dery's stones (much to my chagrin) by adding an unheated blue sapphire, which is likely the next to be set. I also bought this tourmaline from Beau-wy (aka Beau Patterson). Its really not my fault that they were both so beautiful that I could not stop myself. :cheeky:

And that's it! (except for cough, cough, rough, cough cough)

round_sapphire_rd_1_3-17-14_0.jpg

roger_blue_sapph_3_4-28-14_preview.jpg

beau_tourm_2_3-10-14_0.jpg

beau_tourm_3-10-14_0.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1415292280|3778604 said:
I just purchased a 7 carat minty prehnite that I would like to set in a rose gold setting one of these days in the near future. Here's a pic of it in the sunlight (left) and in diffused light.

I've been on a cabochon kick lately, I am awaiting getting over to the jewelers to pick up my tsavorite ring (sitting unset in the mounting, bottom photo). It's 4 carats.

I adore my prehnite jewellery! Look forward to your setting.

As usual I have nothing to contribute....except for the drool over my keyboard because of these entries!

cheers--Sharon

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1415486531|3779889 said:
TL|1415292280|3778604 said:

I adore my prehnite jewellery! Look forward to your setting.

As usual I have nothing to contribute....except for the drool over my keyboard because of these entries!

cheers--Sharon

Thank you Sharon,
I love your prehnite ring.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Now I have to ask...can someone post a link to Sharon's prehnite jewelry?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1415448433|3779661 said:
OMG. :love: :love: :love:
I have no pics to add but just wanted to say how I am loving seeing PSers GORGEOUS gems and thank you for sharing. They are all so yummy. :lickout:

Please keep posting more and thank you all. :appl:
+10,000 :appl:

Your choices constantly delight me and I enjoy being able to take part in threads where I think I can contribute something - thank you all so very much!!!

TL... yaaay! Can't wait for those new cabs :bigsmile:
Xsirus... some gorgeous colour!

So many beautiful gems and I LOVE seeing them set :appl:

EvangelineG said:
1. Seriously, this is what it's about... finding a new hobby and learning about it as well as enjoying the looking and the buying and the looking and being part of the PS community. Well done you!

2. Heheheh... *chuckles wickedly*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results