shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash + Swala double halo ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I just received my Whiteflash double halo ring and would like to share some background story before I post some photos I took.

When I first started searching for a spinel last year, I contacted a few US vendors and attached a photo of a man holding a 10ct spinel and told them I wanted something similar to that stone. Most referred me to Pala, but all they had were red, orangish-red, or bubblegum pink spinels.

With information on the photo, I searched on the internet and found swalagemtraders and Eric Saul. I knew I’d found the colour I was looking for, but swala was based in Tanzania and at that time there was no review of them anywhere. I was apprehensive but emailed Eric who was patient and helpful and we exchanged tons of emails (over 30) . I consulted with a couple of friends and decided to go for it.

When I received the spinel, it was exactly the colour I wanted. I was very happy and went about looking for the best setting I could. I’ve posted the rest of that story before so I won’t repeat it here but this stone was actually lost in the USPS system for more than a month when I sent it off to be set. You cannot imagine how depressed I was at that time. This stone has given a lot of heartache, but I am still in love with it.

I did however decide that I needed another ring to cheer me up and was looking for a green stone when I found this cushion spinel. I had always wanted a cushion gemstone and the colour looked different from my oval spinel even though they are both Mahenge. I emailed Eric and this time, very quickly decided to make the purchase and had the stone sent directly to Whiteflash for a custom setting. Since the cushion faced up substantially smaller than the oval, I decided to go double halo. Working with Joe at Whiteflash, I was able to have all the details I wanted incorporated into the design.

I received the ring a few days ago and I am very pleased. Although the cushion spinel turned out to be closer in colour to the oval than I’d thought (I’d expected a pinker stone) and both stones are haloed, they have different feels. One showcases the center stone and is more elegant whilst the other is more fun and blingy.

If you’re still with me, thank you and now on with the photos. I want to add that re-sizing/cropping the photos caused the stones to lighten up. IRL, they are more saturated and closer to red than pink.

spncl.JPG

spnflr.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk about total finger coverage! Boom, can you see a mm of flesh on either side of your finger when you wear your new WF ring? Your 2 Mahenges make your 2 diamond rings look so bland.
11.gif
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 12:37:40 PM
Author: Chrono
Talk about total finger coverage! Boom, can you see a cm of flesh on either side of your finger when you wear your new WF ring? Your 2 Mahenges make your 2 diamond rings look so bland.
11.gif
9.gif

I agree!

I think the oval spinel ring is huge and stunning in its craftsmanship. All the rings are gorgeous though, I hope you enjoy them all! Too bad you can''t grow extra fingers right?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom,
What an awesome surprise this morning on PS. I don''t know where to begin, but what are the specs on the new cushion if I may ask (carat weight, etc. . . ). I love the color on both your spinels (that''s a given I think we can all agree on
30.gif
) and the cutting as well. I can see those hearts and arrows so well on the shank four ring picture. How does the quality of the WF compare to a 100% hand made setting in your opinion? Your diamond rings are fabulous as well. Great photos, thank you so much!

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, this is by far my "largest" ring (PS influenced of course
2.gif
), but I can still see a couple of mm on either side of my finger. I''ve still got a bit more to go before I catch up with your gorgeous pear ring!

MTG, I posted the comparison photos so people could see the difference. That said, WF''s ring is very well made (there are a couple of things that could be improved for me) and well priced. I''d work with them again in a heartbeat!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings are absolutely stunning!! Congratulations and I''m so happy you finally got the one back!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
All your rings are so stunning. You have a beautiful collection.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 12:47:25 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Boom,

What an awesome surprise this morning on PS. I don''t know where to begin, but what are the specs on the new cushion if I may ask (carat weight, etc. . . ). I love the color on both your spinels (that''s a given I think we can all agree on
30.gif
) and the cutting as well. I can see those hearts and arrows so well on the shank four ring picture. How does the quality of the WF compare to a 100% hand made setting in your opinion? Your diamond rings are fabulous as well. Great photos, thank you so much!

Hi TL,

The cushion is 2.35cts and 7.5x7.5.
On the whole, I am very pleased with the quality of WF''s setting. There are couple of things that I noticed. The first is the size of the prongs holding the center stone. They are much thicker than Leon''s. The prongs on the AoP setting for the spinel are very delicate, almost like a line.
The second, which I think can be improved is the length of the prongs holding the diamonds in the shank. With Leon''s ring, when I run my finger on the shank, it is very smooth, almost like it''s all metal. WF''s setting is bumpy and irritates my fingers. The halo on the WF ring is smooth, so I think there has to be a way to make the ring more comfortable to wear. I don''t use the loupe to scrutinize my rings, so these are the main things I noticed.

I believe a similar Leon ring would be about twice the price of WF''s. The AoP ring definitely has better craftsmanship, but I would not say it''s twice as good.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you catmom and lknvrb4

Here are a couple of photos WF took. The stone has a little more pink IRL.

WFSpnring22 copy.jpg

Boom

Shiny_Rock
It''s very difficult to capture the exact colour.
7.gif

WFSpnringg.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boon what gorgeous rings! How on earth are you going to choose which to wear (perhaps one on the right and one on the left)!

Absolutely stunning.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! to your whole collection
1.gif

The double halo was an excellent choice.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them both. If I were to buy one of the two, I''d choose the oval one, possibly because it is bigger. But what a palette of colors!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
You''re building quite the collection, Boom! Is bright pink your favorite gem color??
18.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous rings and hands! Thanks for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Stunning rings, Boom! Gotta love Mahenge spinel and diamonds. I''m such a fan.
35.gif

Just beautiful.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 1:17:40 PM
Author: Boom

Date: 2/14/2010 12:47:25 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Boom,

30.gif

Hi TL,

The cushion is 2.35cts and 7.5x7.5.
On the whole, I am very pleased with the quality of WF''s setting. There are couple of things that I noticed. The first is the size of the prongs holding the center stone. They are much thicker than Leon''s. The prongs on the AoP setting for the spinel are very delicate, almost like a line.
The second, which I think can be improved is the length of the prongs holding the diamonds in the shank. With Leon''s ring, when I run my finger on the shank, it is very smooth, almost like it''s all metal. WF''s setting is bumpy and irritates my fingers. The halo on the WF ring is smooth, so I think there has to be a way to make the ring more comfortable to wear. I don''t use the loupe to scrutinize my rings, so these are the main things I noticed.

I believe a similar Leon ring would be about twice the price of WF''s. The AoP ring definitely has better craftsmanship, but I would not say it''s twice as good.
Thanks Boom for that great synopsis.
How does the AoP melee quality compare to WF?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 12:28:50 PM
Author:Boom

When I first started searching for a spinel last year, I contacted a few US vendors and attached a photo of a man holding a 10ct spinel and told them I wanted something similar to that stone. Most referred me to Pala, but all they had were red, orangish-red, or bubblegum pink spinels.

just curious
what kind of colour were you looking for then? how would you describe the colour of the stone you eventually bought?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom, dear Lord - your collection is perfection!!!! I''ve always been in love with your Leon Asscher halo, and of course your solitaire is lovely, but both of these Mahenge spinels are just ridiculously lovely!!!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a gorgeous collection. The new WF ring is lovely but my heart still beats for that Leon.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Boom, great to see you back and your newest ring? Splendiferous, love the double halo and the color of the stone. Glad you had a happy ending with all the goings on associated with that stone! They look so very beautiful on your hand!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results