shape
carat
color
clarity

Which stone do you NOT see yourself buying?? :)

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Put me on the never say never list. Until I saw it in person, I wondered why anyone would want an andalusite. I think I could fall for the "right" gem in just about any material.

In general, things that don''t float my boat are expensive stones that look like poor copies of something else. For instance, those gray purple/violet spinels just look like bad amethyst to me. I know there are durability factors, but I''d rather have a stunning amethyst.

Opals - I LOVE the look, but they are too temperamental for me.

Diamonds - okay as pretty accents, but big ones seem like a boring waste of money.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Colour change stones, it''s too hard to choose online and it''s expensive and a hassle to return overseas.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 9:17:10 AM
Author: Kismet
I dunno, I''m kind of an equal opportunity gem buyer. I''d rather not rule something out ahead of time in case I do find an attractive specimen.

Agreed. I don''t discriminate against gems!
12.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow, it is interesting to know the stones on fellow Pser ''blacklist'' instead of ''wishlist''
41.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never much liked emeralds or rubies for myself..

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Probably a peridot- i''m just not drawn to it at all...which stinks because my son is due in august so unless he is several days early that will be his birthstone.
14.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/20/2010 10:31:07 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
Probably a peridot- i''m just not drawn to it at all...which stinks because my son is due in august so unless he is several days early that will be his birthstone.
14.gif
haha:) that''s my birthstone too! the better grades can be bright and pretty! But its brittle.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yellow spodumene.
14.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 10:31:07 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
14.gif
that''s funny - I was so excited my first was due in august (14th no less) that I got a peridot ring for breastfeeding and she was born end of july so had to change it to ruby and I hated rubies. #2 was due end of july and I was hoping he''d be late... but nope, born in july. #3 was due august 7 and I again hoped for august but another july!!! They''re all Leos too for whatever that''s worth lol I have since come to have an appreciation for rubies but they''ll never be my favorite.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
guess what will be waiting at your doorstep this week TL..hahahaha
9.gif
3.gif
2.gif

it's sad about the yellow spodumenes..i swear the prices are great a 20ct stone for $20.. a dollar a carat they run..nobody wants yellow but pinks and purples and greens..poor yellow..sniffle..sniffle..it always gets left behind..when pinks and purples and greens be havin' all the fun

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2010 10:48:29 PM
Author: amethystguy
guess what will be waiting at your doorstep this week TL..hahahaha
9.gif
3.gif
2.gif

it''s sad about the yellow spodumenes..i swear the prices are great a 20ct stone for $20.. a dollar a carat they run..nobody wants yellow but pinks and purples and greens..poor yellow..sniffle..sniffle..it always gets left behind..when pinks and purples and greens be havin'' all the fun

Yeah, I''m not in love with vomit color, sorry.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nothing orange, yellow or bright pink!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Mint garnet & blue apatite.
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No rubies. Just not that big of a fan. Spesses. Not an orange person AT ALL.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have an AVOID list since I am attracted to all pretty stones.
5.gif
I am surprised to see Mahenge spinel is on so many people''s list - it is on my WANT list
2.gif
. I am a sucker for green, red, or blue stones in various shades. Bad for my wallet.

However, here are things I don''t see myself buying:

Emerald or Ruby - love them, but will not be able to afford the ones that I like (unless I won an lottery or something). Too bad they are the birth stones of my two kids.

Peridot - too much yellow

Blue topaz or mystic anything - too fake looking

Yellow sapphire - just don''t like the look, yellow diamond will be a different story

Tanzanite - never understand the high price tag

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 11:51:15 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
Diamond.... way too boring and everyone has one.
I agree, the only ones that I might want are waaaaaay out of my price range and the "medium" sized ones don''t interest me.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 11:55:07 AM
Author: colorluvr

I agree, the only ones that I might want are waaaaaay out of my price range and the ''medium'' sized ones don''t interest me.
I''m curious, what is a medium sized diamond?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2010 12:01:20 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I agree, the only ones that I might want are waaaaaay out of my price range and the ''medium'' sized ones don''t interest me.
On these boards it''s about 2.5ct - in the real world it''s about .5ct!
9.gif

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 12:26:46 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 5/21/2010 12:01:20 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

On these boards it''s about 2.5ct - in the real world it''s about .5ct!
9.gif
I was talking more real world! I only follow this forum, not the diamond forums. I guess I was thinking around 1ct as medium sized for the people I know with diamond engagement rings. Silly me....

Once upon a time, I had a nice 2.38ct rb diamond, but now I''d rather have a gorgeous natural blue sapphire (all things being equal) if I had the money to replace that other one. I did see a gorgeous diamond in a heavy gold setting (wide band the width of the stone) that caught my eye in the consignment case of the jewelry store that now does my resets. It is just shy of 3ct and they are asking $18,000 and said the ring would sell for $25,000 if it were new. BUT, they have the most gorgeous sapphire in a beautiful setting that is going for $12,000 and so if I had the money, I''d probably go for the sapphire.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I can''t get into alexandrite or color change garnet. Its possible I haven''t seen a fine example but as of now --no alexandrite for me. I also would never purchase a praisiolite (green amythest) or rose quartz.

Thanks,

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
You can also put me in the never say never group, I really do not like the color orange or yellow, I also do not like the look of mystic topaz or star sapphires , I thought I did not like any of these but then I have seen examples of stones and jewelery here on PS that I would take in a heartbeat of all the stones above so you never know!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Apatite...I will never buy another apatite. It has nothing to do with the color, it''s the fact that they crumble into little pieces if you put any pressure on them during setting. Just looking at them makes me break out in a cold sweat !

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have realized I am not a fan of "pastel colors" and like the bold colors better. Many stones have both pastel and bold colors so I don''t think I would veto a stone. For example. I am not crazy about my pale pink spinel, but I love the two hot pink stones I have. My pale lavender sapphire is OK, but I love my bold blue one much more.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 7:05:29 PM
Author: Michael_E
Apatite...I will never buy another apatite. It has nothing to do with the color, it''s the fact that they crumble into little pieces if you put any pressure on them during setting. Just looking at them makes me break out in a cold sweat !
LOL - the lady that set my tsavorite said the exact same thing about apatites.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t do orages, yellows or yellowish greens. I don''t wear or own anything in those colors and would not spend the money on sparklies that were those colors. The only exception would be an opal that had flashes of those colors dominating.

I also don''t like diamonds. Other than little ones as accents to a much prettier stone, I think they are over done, boring and have some moral issues with them.

I have absolutely no issue with treated stones as long as the treatment is disclosed. I feel the same way about lab created. As long as I am paying for what I am getting, it is chemically the same and it is pretty, I don''t understand the purity issue. They are rocks.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now I see myself not buying a lot of stones haha!

Hot neon colors..I think they''re so pretty, but not *me* so I wouldn''t buy those for myself.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not ruling anything out. I''m drawn to certain colors - blues and greens, some pinks and purples - and I like most saturation variations. I''m not a big fan of orange and to a lesser extent, yellow. However, most of my projects have a purpose/sentimentality behind them, and so they may require a color I''m not initially drawn to, eg I considered an orange stone for my college ring b/c orange is the main school color (I''m going with the secondary school color, blue, though).

I also don''t care about softness v. hardness. I''ll just set or wear the stone accordingly.

I do have a major problem with treatments of any kind (unless it is a random, fun purchase - but any time I''m buying a stone to be set into a project it needs to be untreated). And I like my stones to be eye clean, unless the inclusions are what draw me to the stone in the first place.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Anything green or yellow. I have seen some like amethysts that are beautiful, but they are not for me. I have an alexandrite. 5X5 pretty tiny and it is so cool. I love it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 10:43:02 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I have absolutely no issue with treated stones as long as the treatment is disclosed. I feel the same way about lab created. As long as I am paying for what I am getting, it is chemically the same and it is pretty, I don't understand the purity issue. They are rocks.

Ditto. I never really understood why some people object to treatment...but I see a strong preference for untreated stones among most PSers. IMO, if it makes a stone prettier, it's all good. And while I tend not to buy synthetic/lab-created stones, if they're the same chemical formula as the real thing and not just a simulant, I have no problem with it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2010 2:05:03 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Date: 5/21/2010 10:43:02 PM

Author: brazen_irish_hussy

I have absolutely no issue with treated stones as long as the treatment is disclosed. I feel the same way about lab created. As long as I am paying for what I am getting, it is chemically the same and it is pretty, I don't understand the purity issue. They are rocks.

Ditto. I never really understood why some people object to treatment...but I see a strong preference for untreated stones among most PSers. IMO, if it makes a stone prettier, it's all good. And while I tend not to buy synthetic/lab-created stones, if they're the same chemical formula as the real thing and not just a simulant, I have no problem with it.

I don't typically mind gentle heating (try to avoid it though), but all other treatments bother me because I rather the stone be as close to how mother nature created it (except for faceting) as possible. For me, it's a mind issue, rather than a visual one. It's like admiring a beautiful movie star and then you found out they had a ton of plastic surgery, it kind of ruins their persona for you. However, if you don't mind a treated stone, that's fine. Everyone has different tastes.

Treatments also strongly decrease value, and as a collector, I like my stones to have some value and I like them to be natural. I can understand someone that doesn't collect gems like I do not really caring that much. However, for an e-ring, I would really try to get an untreated gem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results