shape
carat
color
clarity

WHAT IS THIS? A QUARTZ?

Neelie

Rough_Rock
A friend of my dad found this stone while climbing a hill in a place called Tarbela, in the Hazara district of Pakistan, located in Khaybar Pakhtoonkhwa.

It looks like a big block of salt, but it isn't. I'm posting some pics. Can anyone identify it, I think it is a quartz. It's roughly about 8x 5 x3

I would like to know where to get it evaluated from, possibly some site that can do the evaluating.

13-09-10_1902.jpg

Neelie

Rough_Rock
I think I better upload some more pics so it can be seen from all angles

13-09-10_1901.jpg

13-09-10_1903.jpg

13-09-10_1904.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have come to the detailed analytical conclusion it is a big shiny white rock. :D

I honestly have no idea from the pictures.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Yes Rockhugger, I concur. A big shiny white rock with greyish pink modifier.
And it does look to be just about a quart.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On my iPad monitor is see the grayish pink now.

Noone can tell what it is by pictures. It could be many things.

breezing

Rough_Rock
okay - admit i initially skimmed your post and just looked at the first picture - first thing that came to my mind was halite :tongue: i was going to suggest licking it.

pala has an overview of pakistan's gemstones http://www.palagems.com/pakistanoverview.htm

nearly impossible to accurately identify off a picture, round up a gemologist or ask a geologist at a local college.

Neelie

Rough_Rock
Ok let's suppose it is a quartz, could it hold any value considering it's size, it is rather big and weighs about 2kg.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it is quartz, it is highly included, and not worth much at least as gemstones go. I'm not sure if quartz is used commercially. It looks a little like calcite. I think they made drywall out of that stuff.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is the MOTHER of all Pink Diamonds.

(Humor attempt)

Neelie

Rough_Rock
Does that mean all of my dad's friend's dreams of becoming a millionare have been dashed to the ground? :(sad :lol:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Neelie said:
Does that mean all of my dad's friend's dreams of becoming a millionare have been dashed to the ground? :(sad :lol:
Aw! While we can't give any definitive answers from pictures, I am pretty confidant in my guess that this particular find will not make him a millionaire. Sorry!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neelie,
I'm afraid it's definitely not millionaire grade material. :devil:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like some sort of quartz.

But we can all pretend it's a gigantic raw diamond!

Neelie

Rough_Rock
Oh well, my dad had given his friend the bad news already, but I just wanted the stone to be identified properly. My dad too, believes it's a quartz!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
*lick* :cheeky:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be spodumene too (kunzite), but I'm not sure. No way of knowing without letting a gemologist take a looky. :geek:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
It could be spodumene too (kunzite), but I'm not sure. No way of knowing without letting a gemologist take a looky. :geek:

I had that suspicion too, as the color seemed to be more intense at different angles. It still looks heavily included and not very saturated. Kunzite should come nearly flawless and nicely saturated to attract a decent premium. The region she described is rich in spodumene. A good test would be a black light. Kunzite from that area has a strong orange/pink fluorescence (depending on short or long wave uv light.)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking "rockticus biggeus" myself . . .

This reminds me of the story of the guy that went looking for garnet; he went looking all day and didn't come across any. Then when he was sitting down for lunch, he noticed the ground looked odd and felt hard. He realized he was sitting on a giant garnet the size of a boxcar (does anybody else remember this story?).

So, it could happen. It could be a giant, valuable something-or-other. Or not . . .

Any other rocks like that in the area? If it's a deposit of some kind, there should be pebbles too, shouldn't there?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Big chunk of quartz. Classic quartz growth pattern in top pic is dead giveaway

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
amethystguy said:
Big chunk of quartz. Classic quartz growth pattern in top pic is dead giveaway

AmGuy! So glad to see you back! I hope things are better?

Neelie

Rough_Rock
Thanks all you guys, but it seems it has all boiled down to the quartz, I had origanally thought it was.

My dad's friend has given up on it already!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
given up on it from the $ angle only, i hope. it is a lovely junk and deserving to be placed on a mantle or in the garden.

MoZo

desertgem

Rough_Rock
Quartz has no cleavage planes whereas Kunzite has strong cleavage ( almost every cutter has a tale of woe). Looking at the edges where broken ( or maybe use a small pointed tool to chip), Quartz will fracture with out showing a flat plane, but Kunzite will. When I look at it and ignore the size, Kunzite pops first into my mind as I was looking a parcel of kunzite from that area, and it does come rather large. But not positive from a photo.

Jim

Neelie

Rough_Rock
Uh oh! should have thought of the mantle or garden idea first. He's already given it away.

Oh well, lets hope the person who now has it will use it for a similar purpose.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops: junk was supposed to be chunck! again, its a lovely chunk and i'm sorry he won't get to see it in his garden......

MoZo

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
It's about as far away as one can get from a spodumene (kunzite) crystal...the dead giveaway is the whole backside which is all conchoidal fractures. Then, of course, the growth lines running parallel to the a/b and not parallel to the c like on spodumene. The only reason OP's dad's friend even picked it up was the large euhedral face on the front side..if not for that he would have stepped right over it.

kunzite.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 397
  • quartz 3.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 398
  • c-axis.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 401

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is a quartz piece I have... growth lines parallel to the a/b like in the pic I drew on above

quartz mine.jpg

Neelie

Rough_Rock
amethystguy said:
Here is a quartz piece I have... growth lines parallel to the a/b like in the pic I drew on above

Thanks for all the info and the drawings, it does help in understanding the growth pattern of a quartz much better.
Much of the information you have given is similar to what I read in a book my brother has.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results