shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your favorite gemstone color combinations?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hello, Everyone ~

I have seen the "orange and purple" thread and as I explore settings, I find myself curious to know: what are some of your all time favorite colored gem combos?

~ faegrace

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
hmm, before, I like my peridot & spess... then became peridot & imperial topaz....

now I love my peridot & my recent red (chrome?) garnet purchase :twirl:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
blithesome ~

Thank you for answering. It is always funny to see how many folks read but don't post anything. Then it's hard for me to tell if it's just normal lurking or my question is just lame. I just am genuinely interested in color combinations.

~ faegrace

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pink and green together, like demantoid and spinel. Uppy had a beautiful ring like this.
I have a peridot that I tried to match with a pair of rubellite tourmaline but they were too large. I still think it would look great with that color though.
I also like lilac/lavender with minty green. I have a lilac spinel that would look amazing with mint colored tourmaline.
I love to see colored gemstones set together rather than with diamonds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love my two new multi-stone spinel rings. Both are violet/pink spinel combinations.

I have a spess/tsavorite bypass, but since I got the multi-stone spinel rings, I stopped wearing the orange and green as much. In hindsight, I think I would like a minty green with the orange instead of a chrome greeen.

I have been doing a lot of multi-stone rings as it is a great way to save some $$$ in order to set stones. I use more of my remaining loose gemstones that way as well.

I am now considering a bluish/violet color change spinel with neon greenish yellow chrysoberyl side stones.

Oh, and I'm working a a multi-colored diamond ring with pinks, lavender, greens, champagnes, yellows, orangey diamonds, and I'm really looking forward to all the color on that one.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
baby nurse ~

I am also pretty crazy about a peridot green with a reddish gem. Thanks for answering!

TL ~

Wow, you are a busy lady! I like what you said about using colored gems together. I am not quite secure enough to travel there yet, but I am finding inspiration here and a few other places (e.g: JKT's galleries and pics of sold items). As I look around our home, I am noticing colors in a whole new way, as they relate to gems and jewelry. I imagine not only our clothing but our home decor could be said to mirror our collections and/or jewelry. Hmmm.

The violet/pink combo feels nice and refreshingly feminine to me. :)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I'm guilty of reading and not posting anything, not because it's a lame question (not at all!), but while I enjoy seeing what combinations others come up with, I'm not a big fan of that look for myself. So my color combinations are generally boring and predictible - colored stones with diamonds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few favourites:
1. Hot pink sides with bright (slightly bluish) green.
2. Pale pink sides with blue
3. Orange sides with blue
4. Light greenish yellow sides with violet

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Hrm, I only have a couple done. One is a pink and green ring and I have a pink and purple ring. I'm thinking of making a red & yellow necklace thought.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
1. deep hot pink and medium bright green
2. orange and pink, orange and blue, orange and green, purple and orange, red and orange, etc. :wacko:

I'm all about combining colors in jewelry.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hot pink tourmaline with tanzanite sides
Lighter blues and lavenders with pink

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani|1301635926|2884878 said:
I'm guilty of reading and not posting anything, not because it's a lame question (not at all!), but while I enjoy seeing what combinations others come up with, I'm not a big fan of that look for myself. So my color combinations are generally boring and predictible - colored stones with diamonds.

Me too! I'm not a multiple colour person. There are exceptions but not many. I adore TL's new blue/violet with pink for example. Not sure how much wear I'd get from a multi coloured ring though which I guess is why I don't mix too much.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink and minty-green
Lavender and light-green
Red and white
Black and green (I had a peridot in a black lip pendant)
Pearly and red (mother-of-pearl and spinel)
Opaque blue and transparent red (chrysocolla and garnet)
Orange and blue (spessartite and sapphire)
Orange or yellow and purple-volet (amethyst/tanzanite + spessartite/irradiated yellow diamonds)
green and orange
green and blue (super!)
pink, light-blue and white (3 spinels)
opaque colors, too: black agate on a green malachite slab
I never had grey spinel, but I imagine it could look gorgeous with either off-white spinels or white topazes

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hmmn..tough question.

Personally, I like it when saturation and, to a less extent, RI match, so that the two CS's don't compete.

I know that's not a color combination specifically, but its what I would look for if I were going to put two contrasting colors into a single piece. The possibilities are endless; one I really like though is pale orange and pale blue. MZ recently got a strand of CC pearls with that combo and they are just stunning.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hmmn..tough question.

Personally, I like it when saturation and, to a less extent, RI match, so that the two CS's don't compete.

I know that's not a color combination specifically, but its what I would look for if I were going to put two contrasting colors into a single piece. The possibilities are endless; one I really like though is pale orange and pale blue. MZ recently got a strand of CC pearls with that combo and they are just stunning.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1301691951|2885464 said:
cellentani|1301635926|2884878 said:

Me too! I'm not a multiple colour person. There are exceptions but not many. I adore TL's new blue/violet with pink for example. Not sure how much wear I'd get from a multi coloured ring though which I guess is why I don't mix too much.

This! I typically don't do multi-stone pieces, although I'm moving toward that lately because it's so expensive to set each stone individually!

The multi-stone pieces I have are:
-a pendant with a blue tourmaline, magenta sapphire, and seafoam green tourmaline
-a pendant with a chrome green zoisite, orange Wollo opal with mostly green play of color, and purple tanzanite

And I do have a couple of stacking rings, which also count as color combinations to me:
-benitoite (blue-purple), demantoid (neon green), moonstone (adularescent white), and blue tourmaline
-pyrope garnet (orange-red), lavender spinel, and alexandrite (green/purple)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I like that pink and gray idea!

That would work with spinels too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results