shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the stones you have returned to Tan?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! :wavey: I thought that since many Pser are buying from Tan, it will be interesting to know what are some of the stones you have actually returned?

Let me go first:) I have a total of 5 purchases so far and I had returned 2.

An unheated blue sapphire described as Royal blue, but IRL its overly dark with occasional blue flashes. A blue spinel which appears real good in photo but is too gray IRL:) I have to state that in our email Tan had said that there is a gray component as in most spinel, but well, I just wanna see if i can accept it:) Unfortunately I can't.

O ya, one more thing, I realized that those returned stones are not relisted for sale again. :confused:

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
chictomato said:
Hi all! :wavey: I thought that since many Pser are buying from Tan, it will be interesting to know what are some of the stones you have actually returned?

Let me go first:) I have a total of 5 purchases so far and I had returned 2.

An unheated blue sapphire described as Royal blue, but IRL its overly dark with occasional blue flashes. A blue spinel which appears real good in photo but is too gray IRL:) I have to state that in our email Tan had said that there is a gray component as in most spinel, but well, I just wanna see if i can accept it:) Unfortunately I can't.

O ya, one more thing, I realized that those returned stones are not relisted for sale again. :confused:

Chic, I assume you got a lab memo for your sapphire, in which case did you return the lab memo for a refund as well?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Virgoruby! Yes I've got a full refund including the cost of the memo.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how many gems I've bought from Tan but I've only returned one. That was a blue Sapphire that was extinct, dark and generally "not me"! For the first time, Tan's description didn't fit the gem. Normally he's very specific but on this occasion my expectations didn't match the gem.

On the whole though, I've had some stunning stones from him at great prices so my one poor experience is definitely out-weighed by the good ones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three blue spinels, but I've kept a ton of stones from him. Like LD, I have a very low return rate in comparison to what I've kept, while with most vendors, my return rate is higher than what I've kept. No one has 100% perfect inventory.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...so do you think there is a pattern or theme to be discerned here? Is there a pattern to the type of color or cuts of Tan's that have been returned? Many of us would be curious as potential future buyers...

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have considered buying from Tan. That said, is it best to just contact him first and tell him what you are looking for within your budget rather than taking a chance and buying outright on Ebay? Also, is he good about getting back with you/answering all your questions? Is the return process easy since it would need to be returned overseas? Sorry for all the questions......

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cushioncutnut said:
I have considered buying from Tan. That said, is it best to just contact him first and tell him what you are looking for within your budget rather than taking a chance and buying outright on Ebay? Also, is he good about getting back with you/answering all your questions? Is the return process easy since it would need to be returned overseas? Sorry for all the questions......

Tan is very very communicative, and as for returning items overseas, it is more expensive and a longer wait, but for the values I have obtained, it's definitely worth it. Always ask lots and lots of questions, and remember that no vendor has perfect material. There are many stones that I wouldn't touch on Tan's site, but there are some great values too. The thing I really like about Tan is that he is willing to supply lab reports (at an extra cost of course) from these major gem labs, GIA, GIT, GRS, AIGS (and Burapha too), and that means a lot to me, as a gemstone collector. There are so many unscrupulous treatments out there, and so far he has never declined my request for a lab memo or report, no matter how inexpensive the stone. That tells me he has nothing to hide. I also appreciate that he answers all my questions and is very patient with me. That means a lot to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux said:
...so do you think there is a pattern or theme to be discerned here? Is there a pattern to the type of color or cuts of Tan's that have been returned? Many of us would be curious as potential future buyers...

Some people only care about windows and cutting, some people care more about color, some people want a combination of fine color and cutting, so it depends. For me, I have returned three stones that had beautiful cutting on them, but the color was less than perfect for me. I have kept some gems that had not the greatest cutting, but very nice color.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've returned a few stones to Tan without problem. He's very good about answering questions in a timely manner, and like TL said, has no problem sending the stone to be certed.

-A

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since Odyssey and Gemburi are affiliates - I assume Tan runs them both? I notice that sometimes there is a link to lab reports and sometimes there isn't - probably based on some minimal value of the item, or can you literally get anything cert'd?

ChicTomato, TL, and LD do you have a rule of thumb for what you buy with and without the lab report, like say anything over $500?

Thx

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux said:
Since Odyssey and Gemburi are affiliates - I assume Tan runs them both? I notice that sometimes there is a link to lab reports and sometimes there isn't - probably based on some minimal value of the item, or can you literally get anything cert'd?

ChicTomato, TL, and LD do you have a rule of thumb for what you buy with and without the lab report, like say anything over $500?

Thx

For me, corundum would always require a lab report with FULL disclosure of all treatment, unless the gem is very inexpensive, under $100. For me, I probably wouldn't buy such a sapphire. I'm actually probably never going to buy another sapphire again actually, but that's another thread.

I always get a lab report with any gem that has a high rate of synthesis or treatment (corundum being a good example of that) and the gem is over $100.

I know that red spinel, like Mahenge are routinely synthesized, so I have had AIGS reports done on three out of the five I've purchased.

To me, the most important thing to realize when collecting gems, and buying from any vendor, is to stay on top of treatment, synthesis and simulants!! Treatment/synthesis/simulating of gems is always changing, evolving and more and more species are undergoing these things. The gem treatment industry is enormous money, and they are always coming up with new ways to deceive. Although I know that is discouraging, that is why I appreciate vendors, like Tan, that do freely supply reputable lab reports. It gives great peace of mind in this day and age of faking, irradiation, coating, diffusing, filling, etc. . . .

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I returned two color-change garnets. The return was very easy. Everything else I've purchased from him has been great -- I've gotten a couple of gems with not-so-great clarity (one of which was returned before, I'm pretty sure because of the honking big inclusion), but I knew the clarity grade before purchasing and the other features (color, brilliance) were good enough I didn't care about that.

TL, I'd be interested in that thread on why you are not purchasing sapphires!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deorwine said:
TL, I'd be interested in that thread on why you are not purchasing sapphires!

If this link doesn't scare you, I don't know what does. Page down and see the Ruby and Sapphire Treatment section. Heaven knows what the labs cannot detect. :errrr: My apologies to all the sapphire lovers out there, but I am really leary of corundum in this day and age.

http://www.cresla.com/Library/index.htm

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cushioncutnut said:

It is not difficult to browse Tan's websites because they are all organized. I bought a chrysoberyl from him which I consider waste of money because of a huge window, a decent pink spinel and a matching pair of pink spinels for earrings.

I once contacted him trying to describe what I wanted - and was redirected to ebay. Which does not surprize me because all vendors want to move their stock first, but decimated my interest in buying from him. Which was good because it saved me money - I am a bad returner, but also bad because his prices went up.

Tan's prices were great at the beginning, and I think I missed this window of opportunity, because now they are creeping up.
If you compare his current prices with the ones he had in January (just trace PS'ers posts), you'll see the difference. He still may have excellent stones and I shall be checking his website. and quite honestly, I have bought many worse things at higher prices from other vendors.

(Ebay is still full of pleasant surprizes. I plan to randomly lay out all my stones and select the ones I like most, and I bet that half, if not two thirds of them, will be from ebay).

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux said:

Thx

Hi there! For me, I will have all corundum purchases and purchase above $100 to be certified with GIT/AIGS . My color change spinel is the only stone without a memo as I got it at a deal from the auction.

By the way, from some of the past buying experiences, I noticed that if you request Tan to look for a particular stone with a specific color/ saturation, he will recommend a rather expensive stone (not necessarily the best among his inventory) Well thats from my personal experience, I do understand that he is running a business afterall. For instance, a fellow Pser requested Tan to recommend a concave Chrome Tourmaline similar to that of mine. And the recommendation was one that is approx 3 times the price and honestly not as good in color. I think its better to trust your eyes:) But I have to state that he is prompt and rather honest with questions.

Well, Tan's sites are gaining popularity (at least among the PS community). Since stocks are moving despite the price hike, so, why not? :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
chictomato said:
By the way, from some of the past buying experiences, I noticed that if you request Tan to look for a particular stone with a specific color/ saturation, he will recommend a rather expensive stone (not necessarily the best among his inventory) Well thats from my personal experience, I do understand that he is running a business afterall. For instance, a fellow Pser requested Tan to recommend a concave Chrome Tourmaline similar to that of mine. And the recommendation was one that is approx 3 times the price and honestly not as good in color. I think its better to trust your eyes:) But I have to state that he is prompt and rather honest with questions.

Well, Tan's sites are gaining popularity (at least among the PS community). Since stocks are moving despite the price hike, so, why not? :)

Why not? As in 'why not raise prices just because you are gaining exposure and you can'? :?:
Personally, as a consumer I see this as a dishonest move.

Just like with some other ebay vendors that make settings, as soon as they knew they were gaining popularity and exposure here, the prices started to rise..now perhaps this can be justified due to the rises in costs for raw materials..
People are still buying these settings, but there was also somewhat of a backlash from the community at one stage..

But I don't think you can apply the same argument to gemstones.

From what you have described - steers buyers towards more expensive gems rather than ones that may actually be a better fit for them; prices for similar stones in inventory are rising "just because" since gaining popularity on PS - frankly, I would be asking myself what are the positives here.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
arjunajane said:
chictomato said:

Why not? As in 'why not raise prices just because you are gaining exposure and you can'? :?:

Just like with some other ebay vendors that make settings, as soon as they knew they were gaining popularity and exposure here, the prices started to rise..now perhaps this can be justified due to the rises in costs for raw materials..
People are still buying these settings, but there was also somewhat of a backlash from the community at one stage..

From what you have described - steers buyers towards more expensive gems rather than ones that may actually be a better fit for them; prices for similar stones in inventory are rising "just because" since gaining popularity on PS - frankly, I would be asking myself what are the positives here.

Hi Arjunajane! That was not my intended message. That is certainly not a honest way of doing business. Personally base on my past experience with Tan as mentioned earlier, I do find him an honest seller. I was just speculating one of the possibilities for the recent noticeable price hike

Addressing the other issue, 'steers buyers towards more expensive gems rather than ones that may actually be a better fit for them' maybe I have not been specific in my post. It is definitely the closest Chrome Tourmaline to what I have. It is the only concave chrome tourmaline that is well-cut and of similar size. "honestly not as good in color" is purely base on my own opinion from the photos comparison. Tan might think that is a better saturation, thus its justifiable to command a much higher price.

I though it will be great to share that what Tan's see as good might not be the same as our individuals' definition. But overall, I have pleasant experience with Tan and I am glad to find a ebay vendor like him:)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
chictomato said:
arjunajane said:
chictomato said:

Hi Arjunajane! That was not my intended message. That is certainly not a honest way of doing business. Personally base on my past experience with Tan as mentioned earlier, I do find him an honest seller. I was just speculating one of the possibilities for the recent noticeable price hike

Addressing the other issue, 'steers buyers towards more expensive gems rather than ones that may actually be a better fit for them' maybe I have not been specific in my post. It is definitely the closest Chrome Tourmaline to what I have. It is the only concave chrome tourmaline that is well-cut and of similar size. "honestly not as good in color" is purely base on my own opinion from the photos comparison. Tan might think that is a better saturation, thus its justifiable to command a much higher price.

I though it will be great to share that what Tan's see as good might not be the same as our individuals' definition. But overall, I have pleasant experience with Tan and I am glad to find a ebay vendor like him:)

CT,
thanks for extending your POV and explaining further - however my post was based purely off the information in yours, as a customer of Tan's.
I was taking exception to the comment "Well, Tan's sites are gaining popularity (at least among the PS community). Since stocks are moving despite the price hike, so, why not? "
And, unless this was a rhetorical question - I answered why not, because this is an unethical way to do business.

Same goes for your comments about the tourmaline, and you did also say he tends to steer customers towards more expensive stones in general, in your experience. Of course, without being privy to those exchanges or to Tan's business model, you are right he could have a range of motivations for doing so, including that it could be potentially just a better stone.
(Personally, I prefer the vendors who steer me towards a stone that is sometimes cheaper or a tiny bit smaller, but it has better colour- or another asset which makes it better value for money.)

I was just drawing a comparison between a trend I see sometimes on PS that I Really, really dislike - vendors who become aware of their own popularity and exposure and suddenly, prices rise inexplicably or extra charges or higher shipping are tacked on without explanation. These vendors will never gain my business, due solely to those actions. I guess it is similar to Kenny's POV in the Burma Blues thread - some things are simply a turn-off for me ethically.
I hope you don't feel as if I have hijacked your post, and my apologies to the OP I don't have an answer to the actual question about returned stones.

I have emailed Tan and been very happy with his polite and informative responses, and I agree with TL in that his readiness to have his gems sent to reliable labs does set him apart from many other ebay sellers. At this time nothing in his inventory has particularly captured me so I am not a customer -
I simply found your comments interesting from someone who considers themselves a happy client is all. I'll leave it there now ::)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although Tan has hiked his prices in many instances, I've seen more online auctions on his site than ever. I recently acquired two fine gems as a result, and for exceptional pricing. One is a 2.25 carat cushion Mahenge spinel that is sleepy, and the other is a 1.82 carat mint grossular of exceptional bluish green saturation. There is no way on earth I could get those gems from anyone else for so little, but I really do understand that he has hiked prices. I do see it, but the cost of rough is always increasing too. I'm not sure it's 100% due to his rise in popularity, but it could be. I think that's speculation. JMO. I do agree with AJJ that is a pattern here. A vendor gains popularity, and voila, the prices rise, and in some cases, the quality falls as well. It's frustrating to say the least. However, I'm happy for Tan. He's tried to run one honest business as far as ebay goes, and I'm glad he's seeing some popularity for his efforts. Even with the hiked prices, I do think they're better than most other vendors for the same quality.

As for Tan directing people to more expensive stones, I think it's really important to ask questions, but at the same time, you need to trust your own eye too. Education is key, and I have often rejected stones that Tan has recommended to me, and sometimes I do like them. I will say he is always up front to me about grey in gems, even if they're very expensive.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well thank you everyone for the vast amount of info. As I always do, I will take all that was said into consideration if I do intend to buy something from Tan. I do see a trend on PS...not just with Tan, but almost every Ebay seller that is mentioned seems to "up" their prices. I can appreciate a business trying to get ahead of the game, but not in a manner when the product/or the market does not call for it to do so. :nono:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is interesting, thought, that as soon as one vendor gains popularity, the ones who were the previous "darlings" and suddenly see the business flowing away from them, start dropping prices. I am positive that very soon PS will discover another attractive vendor, and then Tan's prices will go down. But honestly, Tan's prices are still better than other vendors". I just do not understand how return process works, he says that the stones can be returned within one week of obtaining them, but prior to this you have to obtain an approval number? Than leaves a very narrow window of opportunity.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
crasru said:
It is interesting, thought, that as soon as one vendor gains popularity, the ones who were the previous "darlings" and suddenly see the business flowing away from them, start dropping prices. I am positive that very soon PS will discover another attractive vendor, and then Tan's prices will go down. But honestly, Tan's prices are still better than other vendors". I just do not understand how return process works, he says that the stones can be returned within one week of obtaining them, but prior to this you have to obtain an approval number? Than leaves a very narrow window of opportunity.

Hi crasru! You need not worry about the return timeframe. Just drop Tan an email as soon (I usually decided within 2 days), should you wanna return. He will follow up from there. I have not encounter any problem so far.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux said:

Thx

I would only get a lab report where the price and/or treatments affect the price that I'm paying OR I want to make sure of what I'm buying so for example:

1. Spess garnet - no
2. Aquamarine - no
3. 1.5ct unheated Sapphire - yes to check for treatments
4. A paraiba tourmaline - yes to check for copper
5. Spinel - not unless he was describing it as a cobalt spinel

So, there's no hard and fast rules for me because I treat each gemstone differently. Overall though I wouldn't ever bother for a gem that I'd bought for less than $100.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I didn’t realize Tan also refunded the cost of the lab memo in the event that the stone is returned. So far, I’ve purchased only 2 stones from him and never returned anything, but I did take my time, asked for second and third opinions and really scrutinized the videos in addition to asking him questions on things I wasn’t sure on. His response has been very prompt. He will send any stone out to the lab of your choice but for me, there’s no point in a memo on certain gems while on others it is a must. It all depends on your level of comfort but for me, I will get a lab memo on stones that are usually faked, highly treated or could be questionable. Of course, with most memos costing only $30 or so, it doesn’t make any financial sense to get one for something that costs around $50 either. I don’t understand how he runs his business either because I’ve seen some butt ugly stones with high prices and some nice looking ones for a fraction of the price. :confused:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
Wow, I didn’t realize Tan also refunded the cost of the lab memo in the event that the stone is returned.

I hadn't realized that either. That's quite considerate. I'm actually very surprised, because as a consumer I wouldn't really expect it to be returned unless it came back as stated something else besides what the vendor presented it as, in which case I would expect a full refund including the cost of certification.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru said:

I have never had a problem returning gems to him, and he has refunded other people's gems, no problem. Honestly, I think a lot of ebayers say that the return week is short so that they can get the gem back right away.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
The thing about advising a customer to buy a more expensive stone that might not suit them is very disappointing. This would put me off buying from him again. But I am not so worried about his price increase. Isn't it a basic principle of the free market that if demand goes up (because of PS exposure) and supply stays the same then price tends to go up?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just had an interesting experience with Tan that I thought I would share. Apologies but I want to keep the gemstone anonymous for now because I haven't pulled the trigger yet!

One of his gems was described as something that meant it needed to be confirmed by a lab report (hope that makes sense). It would make a great deal of difference to the price if the lab report said something different and it's not one of his cheaper end gems.

I asked him how he was sure if the gem was what he said. He offered to send it to a lab and said if it didn't come back as how he'd described it, he'd give me a full refund.

Now I know that's what you'd expect from an honest vendor but I wanted to reassure those who are concerned that he's incredibly accommodating and often will answer questions (more so than a lot of vendors) and does his utmost to make you feel comfortable about parting with your money!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds said:
I asked him how he was sure if the gem was what he said. He offered to send it to a lab and said if it didn't come back as how he'd described it, he'd give me a full refund.

That's not the first time I've heard him offer to do that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results