shape
carat
color
clarity

Wanna 57,500 carat emerald?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know, Kenny....that huge fracture line across the top is a little off putting, not to mention the heft of it on my finger. :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like one of those huge dyed stones that are often sold on ebay, not that size, but like 100 carats or so. I doubt it's worth very much. It's opaque.

ETA: Whoever buys that for a million dollars is getting ripped off big time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this 'emerald' is a potential scam. I posted about it on another site that warns about scams like these. I hope someone takes notice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't someone spending a million bucks insist it has a report from GIA or AGL?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1326908410|3105942 said:
Wouldn't someone spending a million bucks insist it has a report from GIA or AGL?

I don't know Kenny, they're probably counting on some really naive consumers out there.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
A butt ugly cab grade mass of emerald with facets put on it...what are the facets for? To transmit reflected light back through the stone??? uhhhh..but isn't it opaque? I would pay maybe $5000 and use it as a novelty item next to my floppy shoes and chattering teeth.... :blackeye:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett|1326916103|3106024 said:
A butt ugly cab grade mass of emerald with facets put on it...what are the facets for? To transmit reflected light back through the stone??? uhhhh..but isn't it opaque? I would pay maybe $5000 and use it as a novelty item next to my floppy shoes and chattering teeth.... :blackeye:

I wouldn't pay $1 for that hideous thing.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
it's as my good buddy once told me regarding things such as these
It doesn't mater if you have 2 cts. of doo-doo or 25 pounds of doo-doo....it's still doo-doo

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Barrett|1326917192|3106047 said:
it's as my good buddy once told me regarding things such as these
It doesn't mater if you have 2 cts. of doo-doo or 25 pounds of doo-doo....it's still doo-doo

:bigsmile: Thanks for the first smile of the morning Barrett!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
That size only makes it more obvious from a long way off that it looks like doodoo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you read these ridiculous comments at the end, and the fact that GIA will not called a dyed green stone an "emerald." Gee I wonder why?? :???: :roll:

"For his part, Reaney is standing by his massive emerald, dismissing the statements of both the GIA and the other gemologist, whom he said is just jealous he didn’t snatch up the stone."

Yes, it's every day that you want to buy a stone from a dealer that dismisses one of the most important gemological labs there is. :nono: :roll:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that part is classic! Sounds like it's time for him to go pout in the corner...LOL
The seller in India is laughing all the way to the bank

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett|1327623710|3112605 said:
Yes, that part is classic! Sounds like it's time for him to go pout in the corner...LOL
The seller in India is laughing all the way to the bank

And it's clarity enhanced??? That big opaque thing?? :-o

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lesson in emeralds, THIS is an emerald (Elizabeth Taylor's Bulgari brooch).

That hideous rock looks like cheese that went bad. :errrr:

Besides, if I'm going for an opaque green rock, I much rather have some malachite.

Elizabeth-Taylor-emerald-jewelry.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quote: "“It is an emerald, 100 percent. They are welcome to fly up here and analyze it themselves,” he said of the GIA."

This makes me mad.
Some uninformed buyer will read, "They are welcome to fly up here and analyze it themselves,” and think that lends credibility to it being emerald.

I'm sure this guy knows that GIA does not fly around to voluntarily analyze stones and that owners must submit a stone for grading and deliver it to GIA and pay GIA.

How very deceptive! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOL...good point, Kenny..."Look, is that a bird, a plane, no...it's GIA"!

This is exactly why folks like Kenny, TL, Chrono, Harriet, LD, Freke, Minous, Pandora, etc. hammer away about getting stones tested. Even one that has been on CNN and most other natioanl news and hyped as the largest emerald in the world is not immune from the scammers and undisclosed treatments

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh huh, we are all jealous that we cannot afford the 1 million pricetag for a DYED stone. :rolleyes:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is just to dye for. :bigsmile:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
This has caused such a commotion up here, it boggles the mind...it's an ugly behemoth!
Mike, who runs the auction house, is going purely on Jeff's grading of the 'emerald'. When I asked Jeff about it however, he says that he's talked extensively to GIA about this item and that GIA has told him that there is no way their lab could tell if it's a real emerald or a dyed white beryl...uh :confused:
I called GIA and talked to the lab to confirm this as fact. They wouldn't tell me either way, if they could or couldn't tell the difference between green dyed white beryl and an emerald.
Is there no way to tell this?
I spoke to the GIA library in regards, they think it's absurd that it can't be concluded either way in the lab.

Thoughts....?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would be a nice accent rock for around the pond. Even if it was genuine I wouldn't pay more then $25 for it. I mean what would you do with it? Would you recut it and produce ring sized emeralds that look like crayon pieces?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1327627978|3112660 said:
Quote: "“It is an emerald, 100 percent. They are welcome to fly up here and analyze it themselves,” he said of the GIA."

This makes me mad.
Some uninformed buyer will read, "They are welcome to fly up here and analyze it themselves,” and think that lends credibility to it being emerald.

I'm sure this guy knows that GIA does not fly around to voluntarily analyze stones and that owners must submit a stone for grading and deliver it to GIA and pay GIA.

How very deceptive! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

It's VERY deceptive! When I spoke to Nechka today he said it's dyed green and fracture filled, so how is it 100% emerald!? He was quoted in my local paper saying he "conducted light and brightness tests and used refractive techniques to ensure no epoxy, glass or other rock was infused with the emerald." :nono:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1327760950|3113763 said:
Well, at least I know I'm not getting ripped off by bidding on these big giant green dyed chunks. At least the silver is worth something.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-EMERALD-SILVER-NECKLACE-19-R6025-/390384127914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae4b50faa#ht_3236wt_1037

See, for costume jewelry I have no problem with treatments.

Here's an interesting interview, he's a lot more forthcoming about the possibility of it being white beryl, and GIA gives their 2 cents:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092514/Worlds-Largest-Emerald-worth-1-2-million-emerald-all.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results