shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again,

I''m starting to research tsavorite in earnest and am hoping someone can explain why this stone is so much more expensive than this stone even though it is smaller. To me the second stone seems a nicer colour but there must be something about the first stone that I''m missing, or is it just that the vendor has overpriced it.

I''ve bought some tsavorite in the past but they''ve alsways been around the 1ct mark and nowhere near this price point.

Now that I''m looking for a larger stone and looking at spening (to me) a significant sum of money, I want to make sure I have as much info as possible.

I''ve read most of the tsavorite threads on here over the last few days but I still cant see why the first stone should be $2500 more than the second stone.

Also is it just me or would you say the first stone would be much darker in real life? When I look at the second photo it seems as if there is a lot of light being reflected from the front - is this the case or is that just normal for the angle the photo is taken from?

All opinions on both stones welcome.

The stone I''m really liking is this one from Richard Homer. I love my paprika spess that I got from him so I''ll probably love this one as well, but want to learn more about tsavorite before making a decision and if the second stone above is a better buy (cheaper and bigger but is it better?) then maybe I should go for that. I dont have a specific design in mind yet so shape is flexible for me at the moment.

What do you think?

Regards
MAC-W

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because the first stone is being sold by someone in the States who probably bought it from a Thai seller like nicegems and is upcharging for it. More middlemen. I like the color of the second one better from nicegems, although the photo is definitely enhanced. The first one is pretty olive and very unattractive to me.

The Richard Homer gem, while cut well, is also on the yellowish side of green (a more pure green than bluish green), and you're paying a huge premium for the cutting I'm afraid. I don't think it looks like fine emerald as in his description, too yellow. Fine emerald is more of a very slightly bluish green.

If I had to choose between all three stones, I would get the pear because it has an AIGS, and although it has a window, it's the best price point/quality of color. I hope it has some blue in it like the vendor photo appears to show. If you're seriously interested in the RH stone, I would ask for more photos since I can't tell that much about the color from one photo against a black background, but it is really overpriced IMHO.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different vendors = different price points! I'm afraid it's as simple as that!

Of the 3 you linked to, the first one doesn't have such a good colour as the second one you linked to and I suspect will be much darker in real life. It's also expensive. The second one is a lovely size and colour (that's THE colour for me!) but has a large window - which might be disguised with a good setting. The vendor has a good returns policy and also you could put in an offer. I'd be seriously tempted with this one. Perhaps you could ask to see more photos? Maybe a daylight shot on the hand? The last one, the concave cut, for me is too dark but I don't like concave cuts generally. It's also very expensive for what it is as TL has pointed out.

It sounds like an exciting hunt! Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one, while it has a huge window, might be recut by an expert lapidary, but it might go under the three carat mark. These stones jump in price at 3 carats. In any case, I would low ball the offer by 50%. He would probably come back with a counteroffer. That's what I like to do with Thai sellers. They don't get offended by low ball offers. The photo is definitely photoshopped though. If cut is of paramount importance to you, I would skip all three because
1) cut is okay, but bad color, and overpriced.
2) huge window, decent color, but good pricing (if it's that actual color!!)
3) really overpriced for the color even though it's RH cutting. For that price, I rather have chictomato's concave cut chrome tourmaline (pure green hue), which to me, is equally beautiful as that photo, and probably a lot cheaper. Even if money is no object, I wouldn't pay that much for a 2 carat tsavorite unless it was exceptional top top color.

Okay, that's my two cents. I like to tell it like it is, sorry.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL & LD

I''m glad it wasnt just me that thought the first stone was overly dark and overpriced.

The colour of the second stone really appealled to me but I must admit I couldnt see that it had an overly large window - I still have so much to learn about interpreting vendor photos
7.gif
I just cant see the window, so I''m really glad to have your help.

and regarding the RH stone, I know what you mean about the price. I think thats the one thing thats stopping me on this stone. If it was a few $000 cheaper I probably wouldnt hestitate cos as I said I do love my paprika spess I got from Richard.

Can I be really cheeky and ask - do you know of any tsavs for sale that are excellent colour (and no windows
9.gif
) that tick all YOUR boxes? Max budget $5-6000 - shape doesnt matter but cut does. Something that you would consider buying yourselves if you were currently in the tsav market?

Oh and TL, dont worry about telling it like it is. Thats why we newbies come here. We need straight answers to stop us making expensive mistakes.

Regards
MAC

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The first one, while lovely, is horribly expensive! Yes, the second one has some inclusions, is windowed and not so well cut, but that’s no excuse for the first one to be $2.5K more than the second. I do like it but the window bothers me a lot. I can probably handle a smaller window. The Richard Homer tsavorite is beautiful and well cut, but as you already know, there is a premium for his stones as he is a well known and very skilled precision faceter.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t like medium dark toned tsavorites, but I know that they''re the optimal tone the trade prefers. Lapigems.com might have some, and I hear they come highly recommended, but I never bought from them. Gene (precisiongem.com) might also have some rough left from his last excursion to Africa. He cut a cushion for Cind11 that I love. She set it in a ring, and it''s beautiful (5 carats).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also the odd one who doesn’t like a medium dark tsavorite; medium is about right for me. When I was shopping for mine, I made 2 inquiries with Lapigems and they were very prompt and courteous, answering all my questions and providing extra pictures when requested.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Don''t put too much stock in pictures of tsavorites. Chrome type green colors are very hard to photograph accurately. It''s best to be able to see the stone in person. So if dealing in the mail, you need a good return policy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2010 6:16:20 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Don''t put too much stock in pictures of tsavorites. Chrome type green colors are very hard to photograph accurately. It''s best to be able to see the stone in person. So if dealing in the mail, you need a good return policy.
That is true, therefore whenever buying a tsavorite, ask about the color in various lighting, and ask if it has some blue or veers more toward pure green or yellowish green. I prefer a verly slightly bluish green, like some fine emeralds have. Also ask about the tone, is it medium, medium dark, light, etc. . . Inclusions also affect the price by 20% from what I''ve read (I think on Lapidgems Tsavorite buying guide), so ask about that as well.

Good luck!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results