shape
carat
color
clarity

Took a risk on eBay...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once upon a time, when I came to Pricescope, I wanted a blue topaz oval engagement ring. I remember people talking me out of it - wanting me to get something that's not irradiated, talking about perfect cleavage, etc. So I ended up going with spinel for my ering.

So, I happened across this ring a while back in my eBay travels and I kept it on my watch list for about 5 months. I didn't understand why no one had snapped it up - step cut diamond traps, even small ones, are expensive! The only way I could explain it was that the center stone was one of the cheapest out there - Sky Blue Topaz. Paired with yellow gold. Most people probably didn't give it a second look.

So it sat there, on my watch list, and was relisted a few times with a Buy It Now price.

Cut to my husband. He's been working off of this list since we got married for anniversary presents:
http://www.bernardine.com/jewelry-anniv.htm

Takes the guesswork out of it, and I am getting a more varied jewelry collection out of it. Turns out that year 4 is Blue Topaz. Which, as I originally thought, kind of sucks - my push present was an 8ct Barry Bridgestock Swiss Blue Topaz. How can you beat that?

So I looked around for blue topaz - checked in with Barry for Sky and London, struck out. Checked to see with Jeff Davies, didn't love what I saw, nothing of real interest LT or DB. So I turned back to ebay.

And there it was, sitting on my watch list. I kept looking around and I ended up sending him three choices. And then he asked which I wanted. I had to go back to this ring!

I made them an offer on the BIN price, roughly 1/3 off. They accepted my offer without negotiation.

So I got it. And I took it to the jeweler's to make sure it checked out. Not only did it check out, but my jeweler said that it was really really well made. I had him rhodium plate it because I prefer white metal, but I also wanted this to have more of an icy feel than the yellow gold gave it.

The blue topaz isn't original to the setting, likely a cheap replacement for whatever was originally in it. It has a slight window, but could be worse. I have no details on it really. Maybe I'll eventually replace it with a nicer blue topaz, but for now I'm really enjoying it.

5.78 x 8.53mm topaz, likely irradiated
14kt yg, rhodium plated
size 6.75

Diamonds are probably, 2x4ish.

Anyway, I'm really excited. I finally got my blue topaz oval engagement ring! And it has diamond sides! And I got it for a great deal!

Ok, pics. Before it was plated.

blue_31.jpg

blue_32.jpg

blue_33.jpg

blue_34.jpg

cm366

Shiny_Rock
That's an awesome tale for a pretty icy ring, congrats on a great find! :appl: It's possible that the stone is not irradiated, too, there is pale natural blue topaz like that around...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More pics! First two, pre-plating. Second two, post-plating.

img_3325.jpg

img_3429.jpg

blue_35.jpg

blue_36.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have anything in my jewelry box that's at all similar. Lol!

blue_37.jpg

blue_38.jpg

blue_topaz7.jpg

blue_topaz9.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More...playing with bands...

blue_topaz12.jpg

blue_topaz13.jpg

blue_topaz17.jpg

blue_topaz14.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
As you can tell from my bedding, I like pastel blue-greens quite a bit, and this ring fits in pretty darn well with that color scheme!

Thanks for looking!

blue_topaz15.jpg

blue_topaz19.jpg

blue_topaz18.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! I love that color. So light it could pass for aquamarine. :love: :love: :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe nobody bought it because it was in a yellow gold setting? It looks so much better after the rhodium plating.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke this is a beautiful find! I think Chrono is right about the yellow gold because it gives so much more pop being in the white metal! The color of the blue comes out! Lovely find and great deal! :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, your story reinforces my belief that when someone really desires something specific in an e-ring that desire just never goes away. sure you shouldn't wear that new to you e-ring 24/7 but the reality is that it makes your heart sing and because topaz isn't that pricey you can always replace it should you actually destroy it.

congrats on a great find at a great price! I know you are going to wear this with great joy! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1390315355|3597607 said:
Maybe nobody bought it because it was in a yellow gold setting? It looks so much better after the rhodium plating.

+1

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! It does look better in white I agree. And it looks great on your hand :)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey now that's a bit of alright! :appl:

Great find, it looks great in the white metal.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Andelain - that's what I thought too!

Chrono - probably the combination of that, the fact that it's blue topaz, AND the fact that you couldn't tell from the main photo that the sidestones are traps.

Armywife - thank you!

redwood - I think the yellow gold kind of made the blue look washed out instead of letting it shine.

MZ - weird, isn't it? Do you remember my searching/threads about blue topaz? Lol! Thank you!

Minous - :wacko:

Innerkitten - thank you! I'm excited.

Anyone want to guess what I paid? :Up_to_something:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1390332151|3597834 said:
Andelain - that's what I thought too!

Chrono - probably the combination of that, the fact that it's blue topaz, AND the fact that you couldn't tell from the main photo that the sidestones are traps.

Armywife - thank you!

redwood - I think the yellow gold kind of made the blue look washed out instead of letting it shine.

MZ - weird, isn't it? Do you remember my searching/threads about blue topaz? Lol! Thank you!

Minous - :wacko:

Innerkitten - thank you! I'm excited.

How much?
p.s. Normally that is not a polite question. But since you offered I'm curious. I know I love a good bargain.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1390315355|3597607 said:
Ditto.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1390339621|3597918 said:
FrekeChild|1390332151|3597834 said:

How much?
p.s. Normally that is not a polite question. But since you offered I'm curious. I know I love a good bargain.

Yes we love a good bargain! Do tell!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone has to guess SOMETHING before I'll share!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. $450? Even close? Maybe $350?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
WHAT a risk! Absolutely agree that the plating brings out the blue and it obviously loves car rides :bigsmile:
I'm also a sucker for traps with ovals so great pick up Freke, what a boon to also have your jeweller say it was well made - and it does look it :appl:

Cut to my husband. He's been working off of this list since we got married for anniversary presents:
http://www.bernardine.com/jewelry-anniv.htm
What a clever FrekeChild :cheeky:

Oh no... you're going to tell us it was some obscenely low price...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'l guess $175.00 since you did a best offer.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gorgeous stone! I love blue topaz.. congratulations...

:love: :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's really gorgeous! Love all your bands too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone else want to take a guess before I post it?

1. Their BIN price.
2. What I actually paid.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty ring, it was waiting for the right buyer. I agree, the white plating really helps the blue pop. Congratulations, wear it in good health.

my guesses:
1: $330
2: $220

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok!

You guys weren't actually that far off.

BIN: $350
I paid: $190

I actually offered $250, but I had $60 in ebay bucks sitting around (wohoo for holiday spending and weird bonuses!), so I decided to use them for this! I very much doubt I'd be able to even get the setting minus all stones for that, so I'm way pumped!

Anyway, I'm happy, my husband is thrilled that he got off easy (dude, I did all of the legwork, next year is sapphire and he's gonna get it!) and our bank account is happy.

Thanks for looking guys!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results