carat
color
clarity

The Show your Paraiba or Copper bearing tourmaline thread

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The Show your Paraiba or Copper bearing tourmaline threa

It's not "ideal" in terms of a paraiba but decided to post for those who think they can't have a larger paraiba on a budget.

I returned the stone after looking at it last summer as it wasn't what I wasn't exactly what I was looking for in a larger paraiba (and I had just overspent at a gem show). But an ideal large paraiba cab isn't in my budget. After looking at some other blue cabs - aquaprase, gem silica, etc. I ultimately came back to this stone during Yvonne's recent sale. Set it in an inexpensive stock setting and admittedly pleased with how it came out. It's got presence, is pretty in all lights and would qualify for Acinom's budget thread. At it's worst, it might be confused with sleeping beauty turquoise at a quick glance but definitely more translucent and glowy.

paraibacab_0.jpg
paraibacab.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lilmosun!! You are always up to 'something Paraiba' :appl:
I love your new ring and it looks beautiful on your elegant hand (so jealous!! I can only dream about hands like yours).
It's amazing that a ring like this would even remotely qualify for the budget thread :shock: Please post more pics. The stone seems to have a nice glow. Is that correct?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Acinom (you are like the cheerleader of the CS forum)! It has a few personalities...more opaque indoors, semi-translucent outdoors with a definite glow as the light hits it. The bright turquoise coloring makes it always look good.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lilmosun, I love your new ring! We can't all have large paraiba, in top quality material (those prices... :-o ), but this is a great example of getting something reasonable and making it work for you. I remember it from your older posts and I still think it's quite lovely. I certainly wouldn't mind having it on my finger. :naughty:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovely rings Seaglow and Lilmosun!

heres the round cab (out of focus! oops) I received from PI early October:

next to my set marquise.

Was tempted to pull it and exchange for the smaller, more expensive blue cab PI now has -
but i just approved CAD ----so someone else needs to get it. Love to see IRL pictures of it!

dscn4019.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rFisher: you have glow Paradise on your hand!!! What kind of design have you chosen for your stone?
Please share more pics of your Paraiba collection. I like!!! :love:

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

lilmosun|1479274136|4099177 said:
It's not "ideal" in terms of a paraiba but decided to post for those who think they can't have a larger paraiba on a budget.

I returned the stone after looking at it last summer as it wasn't what I wasn't exactly what I was looking for in a larger paraiba (and I had just overspent at a gem show). But an ideal large paraiba cab isn't in my budget. After looking at some other blue cabs - aquaprase, gem silica, etc. I ultimately came back to this stone during Yvonne's recent sale. Set it in an inexpensive stock setting and admittedly pleased with how it came out. It's got presence, is pretty in all lights and would qualify for Acinom's budget thread. At it's worst, it might be confused with sleeping beauty turquoise at a quick glance but definitely more translucent and glowy.

paraibacab_0.jpg
paraibacab.jpg

I like the classic look and the filigree setting Lilmosun, great choice! Where did you get the setting btw? I also bought a smaller, slightly opaque cab from Yvonne recently and have been looking for how to set it. I don't want to spend a ton on a custom setting since the stone is not as valuable as some.

Mine is a long oval, 8x5...not sure if that is a calibrated size for ready made settings. Here is a pic:

I prefer yellow gold. Could have a halo or not, could have sidestones or not...really open to any suggestions. I just want to start wearing it! : ) And not spend a fortune on a setting.

img_13662.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful paraiba Desertrose..and I know what you mean about wanting it to set and wear! I've been on a mission to set all my "must wear" stones (almost done!). 5x8 is not a calibrated size but depending on the setting style and talent of your bench, you might find something that works.

I got my setting from Best in Gems at a recent gem show. I've used them a couple of times to set inexpensive stones that I can't find preloved settings for. As a side note, I purchased two rings from them at another gem show and left set and size. The rings were stolen en route (Fedex noticed the package was tampered with and held it). Best in Gems was AMAZING in their customer service - totally going above and beyond. They sent a box of zircons for me to look at and even bought a finished ring off another vendor just for the garnet for me to look at. They also told me that if I found replacement stones on my own, they would arrange purchase and not to worry about the cost (within reason). They were just focused on making me whole. In the end, I asked for a refund and a check, which included the cost of the stone, was out within days. Bad circumstances is when you learn the difference between a great, good and bad vendor. They were GREAT (Unlike another vendor who I had an equally awful experience with when things went wrong..and it was HIS fault).

An inexpensive setting vendor that I've seen mentioned here often is Ivy and Rose Vintage http://ivyandrose.com/ (formerly My Diamond Zone). Are you planning on setting the stone N-S or would you consider E-W? I am not a fan of rose gold (due to my skin tone) but it really brought out the color in my paraiba, so I went with it.

Rfisher -- your new paraiba is a beautiful color - will it be a ring? Anticipating more news on your new project!

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Thanks Lilmosun, I will check out Ivy and Rose. I also don't think rose gold works on my skin tone either. It just blends right in and disappears - bleh! Yellow gold stands out. I have a few white gold pieces but I really prefer the warmth of yellow gold.

Sorry to hear about the mishaps with Best in Gems but glad they worked so hard to get things right with you! That's good to hear.

I have a bunch of gems and it's time to start setting them. Some are worth nice settings but many just need "quickies" -LOL.

I'd like to do N-S with this one, but depends on what I can find...I guess I should look for 7x5's, to fit an 8x5?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Because it's a non-calibrated size, I would just contact them with the dimensions and see if they have any suggestions on what might work.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty stone Desertrose!

Thank you Acinom and Lilmosun. Once again, its no where near "trade ideal" but i like it and love that is noticeably a different color than each other.

Here's the inspiration of what I've got planned for the ring setting:

the talented Elle of The Gemstone Project is pulling it all together. Needless to say I'm excited and giddy!

inspiration_pic_3.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful Art Deco inspiration Rfisher!

Here is OTL's Paraiba ring:

img_13687.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher - Seen many non-trade ideal paraibas that are just as beautiful. Totally love the color/tone of yours and can't wait to see it set!

Acinom...thanks for posting another gorgeous ring from OTL!

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Rfisher|1479572492|4100557 said:
Pretty stone Desertrose!

Thank you Acinom and Lilmosun. Once again, its no where near "trade ideal" but i like it and love that is noticeably a different color than each other.

Here's the inspiration of what I've got planned for the ring setting:

the talented Elle of The Gemstone Project is pulling it all together. Needless to say I'm excited and giddy!

Hi Rfisher - I love the idea of setting your stone in a black background if that's what your inspiration pics are saying! How unusual and dramatic! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock

I'm toying with the idea of buying this vintage tourmaline ring. Would you clarify it as a paraiba? It's 5 carats but not nearly as vibrant as some of your beauties. It's almost as cheap as dirt. Thoughts?

img_20161207_215849.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

At least in that photo, it lacks the glow, saturation and intensity of color of a cuprian, so I sincerely doubt it is one, especially if its almost as cheap as dirt. It looks like a very light blue green tourmaline.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are correct, It doesn't have the saturation/glow associated with a Paraiba or that made the original stones from Paraiba (Brazil) famous. It's also too large and clean. Possibly a paraiba-type tourmaline from Mozambique? If so, still worth some money but nowhere near the prices of those with the saturation/glow coming from Brazil.

Technically, it was ruled that the trade could call any cuprian (copper bearing) tourmalines "paraiba" (with a small "p"). But many purists still reserve the designation for those coming from Brazil and have the glow/saturation that the Brazilian stones made famous. So you will see stones from Mozambique/Nigeria marketed as paraiba tourmalines whereas others will say they are not.

You mentioned that it is a vintage ring and it may not be the original setting but Paraibas weren't discovered until the late 80's and the African counterparts weren't discovered until early this century. (It is believed that stones with the similar makeup of Paraibas were found in Mozambique and Nigeria because the land masses were once connected).

A similar question brought me to PS and I was wisely told that I needed a lab report to be sure. Given the inexpensive price, would you still love it even if it is non-copper bearing?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock

The seller does not claim it's a Paraiba... Only that it is a blue/green tourmaline. I don't love it as is, buy the seller indicates it"glows" and the photos don't it justice, so I'm wondering (and covering all your lovely neon Ps) I'm not sure how old it is but looking at the setting from the side it doesn't appear to be any earlier than the 80s. It's not free... But cheap for a Paraiba if it even is one ($500). There a 30 day return policy... but based on your eval, I'm not sure i should bother. Thanks for the insight.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Keeliamira|1481166494|4105532 said:
I'm toying with the idea of buying this vintage tourmaline ring. Would you clarify it as a paraiba? It's 5 carats but not nearly as vibrant as some of your beauties. It's almost as cheap as dirt. Thoughts?

To my eyes it looks pretty but not glowy. For that price you could consider to view it in real life. But only if you love it, which does not seem to be the case. Perhaps ask the vendor more pics!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Remember Mochiko's famous cuprian in RG and pink sapphire halo? Well, she has reset it with a buttercup setting and it looks even more fabulous. Please post more pics Mochiko!!!

img_13893.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Keeliamira|1481166494|4105532 said:

Hi Keeliamira,

I was also sold some tourmaline of the same light color in small pieces, with the biggest just slightly over a carat. They said it was unheated pieces of copper bearing tourmaline from Mozambique. It doesn't look glowy and does not have the saturation of a paraiba. However, unheated copper bearing stones in purple, gray, and dark blue, also doesn't glow. They can turn the neon blues and greens when heated. The unheated ones of these colors may have some copper needle inclusions though, and many collectors keep them that way.

Since the stones being sold to me are small, included, and not glowy, they were affordable at normal tourmaline prices (not Paraiba price), so I took them. I had them done as jewelry.

I sent one stone to the lab, it came out as light blue green unheated tourmaline, I asked if it was "paraiba", of which that particular lab said no because it is not saturated enough. They didn't even check I guess if it's copper bearing.

Here are photos of the stones. There was one clean stone in the parcel and I made it the center stone of a ring and placed yellow and pink sapphires on the sides.

image_1322.jpg

image_1323.jpg

image_1324.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

Woo-hoo, Seaglow did good! Don't pay for something that doesn't live up to it's name. Buying those because they were at normal tourmaline prices was the way to go. Don't ever fall for the marketing gimmick that "paraiba" has become. If it doesn't have that strong to vivid color that makes it pop, then it's not a "paraiba"!
remember copper has been found in tourmalines from many different locations and I have a list of different mines around the world where copper has been detected in tourmalines and none of them are from Nigeria, Mavuco, and Brazil!
Heck, when the Mavuco deposit was discovered, it took them two years to figure out they might be copper bearing!! In the Batalha find...the original find...they knew instantly, especially the folks at the Tucson show the year they came to market, that those particular tourmalines were special!

It's nice to see some good examples of stones on this thread that people have been purchasing! I am quite surprised at how well some of you have done! I am a stickler and party pooper when it comes to Paraibas, as some of you know, because of the rampant marketing shenanigans that go on with the material.
Glad to see a few good PSer purchases!!!

No cut stones for me, as you know. I stick with mainly the rough and spec. stuff in regards to cuprians.
I wanted to add a couple of my pieces to the thread.... ;-)
all 3 pics are of same stone

_38724.jpg

_38725.jpg

_38726.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

some more pics...all 3 photos are of the same specimen.

_38727.jpg

_38728.jpg

_38729.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

All 3 photos are same stone.

_38730.jpg

_38731.jpg

_38732.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

a couple more pics of some of my Cu+2 stones.
The green one on the right didn't test out proper for Cu but the purple one did :naughty: .

This one shows the classic example of Batalha mine Paraiba tourmalines...minus the green rind that was found on many.
Manganese colored core and copper colored skin

Stone is solid opaque but of the best color ..it's on quartz matrix and is the size of an average thumb(little smaller than my finger...I have big thumbs :lol: )

562794_3509469026725_965745020_n.jpg

pink_core_blue_rind_0.jpg

top_blue_paraiba_tourmaline.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing Seaglow and Barret.
Seaglow: beautiful pastel colouring. You have a beautiful collection.
Barret: it's great to see copper bearing rough! Great find.

David Klass has just finished an amazing and glowing ring for elle_71125. Follow her story so you can admire her handshots when she has received the ring: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-klass-paraiba-halo-ring.227641/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-klass-paraiba-halo-ring.227641/[/URL]

img_14140.jpg

img_14141.jpg

img_14142.jpg

img_14143.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher has a new Paraiba ring. The setting beautifully showcases the Paraiba center stone. There is no dedicated thread yet.

img_14241.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results