shape
carat
color
clarity

Successful recut of big blue "cobalt" spinel

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Some of you may remember this thread from awhile ago about the blue spinel that I bought that at times resembled a lump of coal. I've been through a lot with this stone, but I kept seeing potential, so I resently sent it off to Jerry Newman for a complete recut. I had previously sent it off for an "evaluation" but I did it through a third party (bad idea) so I didn't have direct contact with the potential recutter. This initial evaluation didn't cost me anything (but time) but it was frustrating because the only comment I got back was "it wasn't worth recutting", which didn't tell me whether the cutter wasn't interested in trying or whether they truly felt nothing would be gained... anyway, it got put on the back burner until a short time ago.

Here is the original thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-ceylon-blue-spinel-or-three.155405/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-ceylon-blue-spinel-or-three.155405/[/URL]

Jerry was very honest with me before he cut it, that he couldn't guarantee that the stone would improve as much as he hoped, but after some back and forth emails I decided to go for it anyway. I figured I already had some money invested in the stone, and it was unwearable and basically un-sellable the way it was, so it was worth investing a bit more money into the stone.

The stone was originally 6.12ct - 10.5 x 9.5 x 7.0 so I had some room to spare. The new size of the recut stone is 4.74ct - 10.2 x 8.8 x 6.9 so the loss of weight came to 22.5% which I find to be excellent considering. Jerry cut it in a "Ultra Brilliant Cushion by John Broadbent" design to get the most light passing through the stone as possible.

Here are some photos I took of the stone yesterday - I am very excited at how it turned out. Jerry said that it wasn't a "true cobalt blue" color, as it flashes a bit of lavendar occasionally, but the round blue spinel that he "spiffed up" was more a true cobalt color, so a win win for me.

These photos were taken under fluorescent lighting (which the stone loves) an OTT lamp, my overhead incandescent office lighting and outdoors. The stone is still a dark stone and needs light to bring out it's beauty, but I am quite pleased and am now on a hunt for the prefect setting to show it off.

I still may send it off to AGL to verify if it does indeed contain cobalt, but I haven't decided for sure.

flourescent ring lamp2.JPG

fluorescent ring lamp.JPG

Ott lamp.JPG

Ott lamp2.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
More photos

incandescent office lighting.JPG

outdoors_cloudy.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I just took a look at the original and I think the recut is a huge improvement. You can actually see the color now. Sure it's darker stone but those are beautiful too. I bet it really sparkles and It will make a great pendant or ring or whatever you plan to do with it. Any chance of an outdoor photo?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can determine if it contains cobalt by looking at it under a chelsea filter. If it turns red, then it has cobalt. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jerry did a fabulous job, they're both really lovely.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great success! It will make a unique piece of jewelry.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, such an improvement. Beautiful job & without losing most of the ct wt. Looking forward to seeing how you decide to set it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You are magic with a gemstone!! This is lovely. :appl: Great size, great cut, I love the color!! Now..... for the perfect mounting.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! He did three other complete recuts for me that turned out lovely, but due to the original cut and size, I now have two well cut SMALL stones, and one small/medium stone - but that's the way it goes when you roll the dice on a recut... I knew the odds up front.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crikey what a difference! This is a fantastic result and I like the way that you decision was based on the fact that it was unwearable as it was and you had money invested in the stone - there's no better reason!

Have you got a Chelsea filter? You can get them from Ebay very cheaply and it might be worth buying one and checking first before sending to AGL (if the only reason for sending is to see if it is cobalt).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He did a great job - how does he set the price? by the hour or does he work out a fixed price before he starts? I'm wondering because I have some things I should really send him...thx

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1334770228|3174334 said:
He did a great job - how does he set the price? by the hour or does he work out a fixed price before he starts? I'm wondering because I have some things I should really send him...thx

He emailed me his pricing guideline. The final cost is based on size of stone, type of stone, whether or not it is a standard or fancy cut, etc.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!!! That is a wonderful recut! I know your stone would thank you for doing that, too! What a stunner! Enjoy it! :appl:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what a difference! Jerry does some great work doesn't he? Between your aquas, new red mahenge spinel, tsavorite pear, sapphire, and this new spinel, I am just wowed by your stones (as well as the settings) :love:

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
WOW! That is an amazing recut!! Even in the photos where its a bit darker, the blue is still really striking. :love: I hope you find the perfect setting to show it off. Cushions are my favorite shape for gems, and I LOVE the faceting pattern. An A+ combo!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An excellent end result. The stone was huge to begin with so it could afford some sliming down. Also, the original colour if one can even see it, was so terrible to the point that it cannot possibly get worse. Now, I can see the colour AND flashes of its brilliancy.

BTW, it seems a bit hazy in the pictures. Is it due to your handling or is it a touch sleepy?

As for quenching your curiousity if it is cobalt bearing, just order a Chelsea filter online. They are relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of sending 2 stones to AGL just to test for cobalt. Not only that, you end up with a neat little tool you can use on other gemstones too.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful now - the colour really improved with the recut. What are the plans???

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1334804222|3174784 said:
Looks beautiful now - the colour really improved with the recut. What are the plans???

No specific plans at this point. It will just have to be an open setting of some kind that allows all possible light to shine through the stone.... I'm going to take it with me to an Intergem show to see if I get any inspirations...I don't plan on buying, but it helps to have settings to set the stone in, to see how it will look. It's big enough, I may just go with a solitaire setting of some kind.

Once again, thanks for all the nice comments on the stone, Jerry was definitely a miracle worker on this one. I've found (in my limited dealings with precision cutters) that the stones often turn more unique and interesting if you give the cutter "free reign" than if you ask for a specific shape and size. I've done this in a few instances and have received some great looking unique stones.

It certainly doesn't make the setting search as easy, but my rings are all over the place as far as style, so I enjoy trying to find settings that are a bit different. Sometimes I'll get lucky and already have a setting that fits a new stone and I'll do a reset because I like the new stone better, but usually I just hold on to it until I see something that strikes me.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful recut, and what a beautiful, saturated color it now is! Jerry makes good photos and from my experience of working with him, his pictures are true to life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results