shape
carat
color
clarity

Spessartite, What do you think of this one?

ked123

Rough_Rock
So, I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand the intracacies of selecting gemstones- but I do know that I wanted a bright orange spess.

After debating on spending almost $2K on something from Swala, I found something on ebay. It arrived today and I like it. However, before I get it set, I want to make sure that their are no alarm bells to someone with a more trained eye. Honestly, I think I am just worried since I got it from ebay and at a really low price.

Here is the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=110678339355&si=oy9rnPHhAxgwwCp9CsClA2U7jMg%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

It was a minimal amount of $$, so my feelings won't be hurt if you think it is a dud. It looks bright orange now that it is here- but I do see a bit of brown.

Thanks!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert in any way but I think it looks very nice! Does it have lots of "sugar-like" inclusions in it? (Photo seems to show that).

I would love to see sunshine photos! :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please tell me you got that and it didn't get swiped.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its something you'll likely have to judge when its received. The stone is at a tilt, and I'm notoriously hard on cushions. So with that, I really can't say anything as I can't see the front head on.

What I can say is that sugar is present (small inclusions that are typical to the type of garnet it is)

Did you inquire about who the report comes from with the stone??

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point, I doubt any report is going to be useful. The spessartite is heavily included and I expect the sugars to be very visible IRL. The colour is also likely to be browner than shown but that's just a wild guess.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the sugars will be that noticeable IRL (are they?). I actually find the sugar inclusions to be somewhat pretty when the sun hits them, like glitter. For $89, I think you did good, even if there may be a little brown in person. Set it in 18K yellow gold, which will mnimize the brown.

Spessartites run the gamut of pricing these days, so it's good to shop around on them.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
To me It looks just okay in the photo. But it might look fantastic in person. Sometimes that happens. It's a good price for the size.

ked123

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. No, the sugaring is not that visible IRL.

I'm going to move forward with getting it set and I'll be back with pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results