Light-medium Gray
Spinel

Gabriel & Co setting
14kt
.35ctw
fishtail pave
1.75mm shank
Size 7

Some of you might remember that the setting originally held a periwinkle barion octagon spinel cut by Dan Stair, but I was never 100% about the combination. (Plus I dreamed up a great idea for the periwinkle!) Well, so I decided to change it out, and luckily it just needed a new head for the new stone size. Daniel M was kind enough to switch out the head for me and set the new spinel in it.

I don't really know how to describe the stone. It's a lighter pure gray, and it's what I've been looking for since I came to PS, I think one of my very first threads was about looking for a gray stone, and with this one, I finally found it. Because it's basically devoid of any modifiers, it has crazy crazy dispersion and I've seen tons of different colors of sparks come out of it.

My one complaint - diamond cut. Which, funnily enough, it almost seems to have arrows. But you guys know me - I love my chunky cuts!

I'll just let the photos do the talking...

silver_1.jpg

silver_loose.jpg

silver_loose2.jpg

silver_loose3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know one of the first things I did was compare it to my medium gray Barry spinel! Sitting on an empty setting...

silver_loose4.jpg

silver_earl_grey.jpg

silver_earl_grey2.jpg

silver_earl_grey3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Daniel M pics

il_45.jpg

il_46.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to go to Maui for my best friend's wedding, and I drove to San Jose at night to catch a very early morning flight. Luckily my package from Daniel M got to me a few hours before I had to leave, so I got to take it with me to Hawaii! These are some of the pictures I took there. (On the patio of my very pink hotel.)

silver_hawaii.jpg

silver_hawaii2.jpg

silver_hawaii3.jpg

silver_hawaii4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Close ups with my non-iphone camera

silver3.jpg

silver4.jpg

silver5.jpg

silver6.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More pics

silver7.jpg

silver8.jpg

silver9.jpg

silver10.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
A look at some of the colors I've caught it making

silver11.jpg

silver12.jpg

silver13.jpg

silver14.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few miscellanous pics

silver15.jpg

_6138.jpg

group4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And now colorless, light gray and medium gray comparison pics

_6139.jpg

gradient2.jpg

gradient3.jpg

gradient4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a very moody little bugger...

gradient5.jpg

gradient6.jpg

gradient7.jpg

gradient8.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last ones! I hope you enjoyed!

aa_silver.jpg

aa_silver2.jpg

_6140.jpg

_6141.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
OMG, LOVE your pics!!! The dispersion is awesome, I'd have bought it for that alone.

Your rings are so crazy gorgeous!! (And is that a Patrick Irla ring I see? I have one from him too, he slightly customized an existing design for me, and I love his work! Sorry in advance if I'm incorrect, it's beautiful regardless.)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
katharath|1367966235|3442319 said:
OMG, LOVE your pics!!! The dispersion is awesome, I'd have bought it for that alone.

Your rings are so crazy gorgeous!! (And is that a Patrick Irla ring I see? I have one from him too, he slightly customized an existing design for me, and I love his work! Sorry in advance if I'm incorrect, it's beautiful regardless.)
Yes, it is a Patrick Irla! Back when he was taking customer's stones, he made this for me. I love his work too, he can do some incredible things with metal!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1367966362|3442321 said:

Yes, it is a Patrick Irla! Back when he was taking customer's stones, he made this for me. I love his work too, he can do some incredible things with metal!

It's a beautiful ring, he is a very talented guy. (He used my gems too in my ring, but they were two small diamonds (each about 3 mm round), so he was comfortable setting them for me - I told him I wouldn't hold him responsible if any issues, lol. They were from little diamond studs that my dad gave to my mom many years ago, shortly after they were married, and I wanted them set into a ring. It turned out very well).

Anyway thread jack over - your rings are so wonderful, I love them all - so jealous of your amazing collection!! Your new one fits right in with the other beauties :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, that looks incredible!! I love the cut on that spinel - yes, you can almost see the H&A like a diamond! But the colour - so soft and dove grey in colour - its a beautiful stone!!! Fantastic ring - I love the stack of colourless, lt grey and dk grey - what a cool collection!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving it and your other greys. I'm wondering if it looks so awesome because of the above average cutting on the gem, or because its devoid of color, so it flashes and sparks other colors easily. What do you think?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Great ring Freke! I love the way the entire setting and stone are various shades of sparkly white and silver.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
My goodness I love this!! I'm feeling really covetous right now of your grays (nevermind the rest of your collection!)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
katharath|1367967750|3442336 said:
FrekeChild|1367966362|3442321 said:

It's a beautiful ring, he is a very talented guy. (He used my gems too in my ring, but they were two small diamonds (each about 3 mm round), so he was comfortable setting them for me - I told him I wouldn't hold him responsible if any issues, lol. They were from little diamond studs that my dad gave to my mom many years ago, shortly after they were married, and I wanted them set into a ring. It turned out very well).

Anyway thread jack over - your rings are so wonderful, I love them all - so jealous of your amazing collection!! Your new one fits right in with the other beauties :)
Thanks so much for the lovely compliments katharath! That's cool that Patrick set the diamonds for you - do you have a thread for the ring he made? What a cool project...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1367972460|3442372 said:
Freke, that looks incredible!! I love the cut on that spinel - yes, you can almost see the H&A like a diamond! But the colour - so soft and dove grey in colour - its a beautiful stone!!! Fantastic ring - I love the stack of colourless, lt grey and dk grey - what a cool collection!

I think you might have hit the nail on the head as to why I'm so in love with this ring Enerchi. My wedding dress was "dove gray" and they are very similar in color. I might need to go dig it out and take some comparison shots....

Thank you for all of the wonderful compliments!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
royalstarrynight|1367978273|3442431 said:
Gorgeous ring and other rings! I love how the gray looks so elegant and classic! :appl: :appl:
Thanks Royalstarrynight! Elegant and classic is definitely something I've been going for with all of my purchases, so that's good to hear! I love how neutral this stone is - some of my other rings are not nearly as neutral!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1367983065|3442468 said:
I'm loving it and your other greys. I'm wondering if it looks so awesome because of the above average cutting on the gem, or because its devoid of color, so it flashes and sparks other colors easily. What do you think?
I think it's a combination of the two. I've had grays that have less than excellent cutting and polishing, and they just weren't as sparkly as this sucker or the Barrys. I have a couple of non-precision cut stones that are almost colorless, and they are superior to other colors as far as throwing colors, but not as good as any of these three stones. The Earl Grey (the medium gray Barry) throws sparks like crazy, but this one might just beat it. I'll have to put them through some rigorous testing to see which one prevails...I'll let you know the results!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1367983654|3442472 said:
Great ring Freke! I love the way the entire setting and stone are various shades of sparkly white and silver.
Thanks IK! I think my motivation behind seeking out a grey stone was trying to find one that "matched" the metal. I think this one does that very well!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
velouriaL|1367984939|3442494 said:
My goodness I love this!! I'm feeling really covetous right now of your grays (nevermind the rest of your collection!)
Awww thanks velouria!!!!! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for stealthy PSers, aren't I? You guys are tricksy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A really interesting spinel which Dan M did excellent work for. Definitely moody yet when it goes to work, it is quite a surprise. Yes, I think with it being almost colourless coupled with excellent faceting and the diamond cut design, helps it sparkle and show more colours.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
What a neat colored stone!!!! I love it. Glad you finally found your holy gray! :naughty: :bigsmile:

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely beautiful stone! I just LOVE those flashes of neon blue... it almost looks electric. Pair that with the arrows, and it is to die for. Wear it in good health!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
I love this stone! :love: You got me started on my love for gray awhile ago and I still can't shake it :!:
Congrats on the beautiful new ring - enjoy!!!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Those are all gorgeous but I really love your new baby. Those flashes of blue are so hot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results