shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Lavender/Periwinkles!!!!!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliments cm366, Chrono, Minou, pokerface and periwinkle! It means so much to have such experienced gem collectors agree!

I just want MOAR of this color family. :rolleyes:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's mine. It shifts from lavender to pink.

Vendor's lavender photo:

My photo, taken outside. It's obviously tilted, and showing a tilt window. I was trying to get a pic of all the stones I like on one hand, and this one ended up being tilted. Oh well. You can still see how amazingly brilliant it is.

artcutgems_spinelpic.jpg

lavenderspinel.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
From TL:
My lavender spinel. Sorry for the hazy photo, it's in a ring box unset, and I couldn't focus it that well like I can on my hand. It's at the jeweler's being set

_19399.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
From TL:
The mint green tourmaline in the middle is surrounded by two lavender spinels. The one on the left is a very pale pastel lavender, and the one on the right is a very saturated pastel lavender which I'm still trying to find the right setting for. It has some inclusions, which are not visible to me, unless I look really really close. It shifts to a more periwinkle color in other lighting.

_19401.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
2.5 carat precision cut lavender spinel pear in a rose gold halo.

This one has some lilac undertones.

It has some inclusions, but they're not distracting to the naked eye.

_19402.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
From cflutist:
Left to Right:

Oval Iolite
Trillion Tanzanite
Fantasy Kite Amethyst
Fantasy Shell Amethyst

I bought these years ago so I don't remember the stats.

sm_0.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1403387594|3698233 said:
From TL:
A lavender/purple cushion spinel in rose gold.
TL, this is my fave of your 4(!) stones based on the color. Of course, I love all of them.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Cflutist, I love your shell pendant. Thanks for your pic. I love how it illustrates how many different stones can have such a lovely lavender color.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
by sonyachancs » 23 Jun 2014 01:26
I loveeeee purple. it was such a throw up with green for my e-ring!

glad to have an addition to this thread:

img_4914.jpg

img_4915.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
by FrekeChild » 20 Jun 2014 21:11

I may or may not have a problem. :Up_to_something:

Hi, my name is Freke and I'm a lavender-aholic. I've been clean for....0 days.

lav_0.jpg

lav_1.jpg

lav_2.jpg

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
These are my violet to blue Umba Sapphire from Gene, and a lavender colour changer spinel from Barry. I can't seem to capture their true colours very well, they end up looking darker most of the time in my pictures :confused:
The sapphire actually glows a bright sky blue under sunlight and the spinel also turns more blueish (super sparkly!).

lavenders.jpg

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
Follow up on my post above since I was playing with my camera settings to see if I could get better colours. Here are some pictures in the shade: (from top to bottom: lavender spinel, blue spinel & violet sapphire)

Any tips on how to take pictures in sunlight without them reflecting like crazy?

spinel_sapphire.jpg

_19471.jpg

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Those chalcedony made me drool...... :love: :love: :o :lickout:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Ps. What is the vendor frekechild? Where can I get a lavender spinel? Or, so e of those chalcedony?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elyxia|1403615727|3699962 said:
Follow up on my post above since I was playing with my camera settings to see if I could get better colours. Here are some pictures in the shade: (from top to bottom: lavender spinel, blue spinel & violet sapphire)

Any tips on how to take pictures in sunlight without them reflecting like crazy?
Spinels generally look dark and blah in direct sunlight, just with crazy fire. I like to take pics in sunlight under the shade of a tree - I find that that is the best lighting for bringing the best out of most gemstones.

pretty6.jpg

img_4923.jpg

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
Thank you FrekeChild! I'll try out taking pictures under the shade of a tree next time. Your rings are lovely btw, I'd have trouble picking which to wear lol :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphirecats|1403623563|3700035 said:
Ps. What is the vendor frekechild? Where can I get a lavender spinel? Or, so e of those chalcedony?
I haven't bought any in a long time, and when I have, it's been secondhand. My oval periwinkle stone was cut by Barry Bridgestock, the asscher was cut by Peter Torraca.

There is a lavender-pink-gray stone at Finewater:
http://www.finewatergems.com/spinel.html

I don't know why this hasn't sold yet?
http://www.gemrite.com/collections/gems/products/violet-spinel-1-85-cts

Here are a few secondhand lavender stones:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...gestock-5-dot-7mm-lilac-slash-lavender-spinel

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos.../1-dot-45ct-purple-slash-lavender-spinel;2377

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/peter-torraca-lavender-sapphire

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cripes - these are gorgeous stones! Each and every shade of lavender/periwinkle that's been posted is fantastic!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Talking about all the shades of lavender, why is it so easy to see the slight direction towards red or blue in these lovelies, but have a harder time seeing secondary colors in primary colors (red, yellow blue). At least that is the case for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1403670743|3700593 said:
Talking about all the shades of lavender, why is it so easy to see the slight direction towards red or blue in these lovelies, but have a harder time seeing secondary colors in primary colors (red, yellow blue). At least that is the case for me.

I wonder whether it is because red and blue are such "strong" colours whereas lavender (and the modifiers are often times the "stronger" red or blue) is usually quite pastel in comparison?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1403670743|3700593 said:

On the contrary, I always see secondary colors in red. I've never ever seen a "pure red." They either have a pink or orange secondary to me, and often times, brown modifiers. I also see secondaries in yellow (orange or green). I think blue is usually the purest color I see, so when something is blue, it's really blue to me, but often times you can see some violet, and of course, grey modifiers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elyxia|1403524955|3699101 said:
These are my violet to blue Umba Sapphire from Gene, and a lavender colour changer spinel from Barry. I can't seem to capture their true colours very well, they end up looking darker most of the time in my pictures :confused:
The sapphire actually glows a bright sky blue under sunlight and the spinel also turns more blueish (super sparkly!).

I love how spinels look in direct sunlight, and have taken many pictures, but I have angled my ring away from the sky, even on a clear day. I love capturing the sparkles actually, but if you don't have good macro focus, it can come out fuzzy. Another good place to take pictures is in your car on a sunny day. I've taken lots of shots of my rings in there. I'm too terrified to take pictures of loose stones anywhere except indoors over my kitchen table.

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
TL|1403703437|3700780 said:
I love how spinels look in direct sunlight, and have taken many pictures, but I have angled my ring away from the sky, even on a clear day. I love capturing the sparkles actually, but if you don't have good macro focus, it can come out fuzzy. Another good place to take pictures is in your car on a sunny day. I've taken lots of shots of my rings in there. I'm too terrified to take pictures of loose stones anywhere except indoors over my kitchen table.

I actually never thought of trying in the car, need to test it out thank you! It is quite scary taking loose stones outside, my heart stops every time there's even a little bit of wind and that's just on my balcony. I actually think my SO is more scared than me as he always chants whenever I go take pictures: "don't drop anything...be careful!" :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just had my stone set, so here's some better pics in the sun, and in diffused natural light, and one of another lavender spinel ring.

tllavenderspinelsparkles.jpg

tllavenderspinels.jpg

tllavenderspinel.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Immediately a new favourite thread! Everyone has such beautiful stones, and I love to see the range of various lavenders & similar shades.. ::)

Sadly this little spinel is no longer in my possession, however I felt I would post these pics of it anyway, which show its slight colour shifts - in the first next to my sapphire it appears rather blueish with purple; than quite periwinkle; and finally on its own, a rather steely violet hue it occasionally shows, which I personally find intriguing.
This, too, was a Barry 'special request' spinel ::)

dsc06450rs.jpg

dsc06454rs.jpg

dsc06415rs.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results