carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this tiny blue diamond?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think?

I'd rather get a Vivid with better clarity but the price would be even higher or it would have to be even smaller.
Plus the selection of naturally-blue diamonds really sux.
39.gif

The sapphire-like depth of the blue is hypnotizing and carries me away.

Link

Kennybuediamond.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another I see every night when I close my eyes to go to sleep.

Which do you prefer?

Link

090ohlala.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I like the second one better. To me it has more personality.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I lean towards the first one as it really looks like a fabulous blue diamond. My only question would be what does it look like in real life? There''s a possibility it might be too saturated.

--Joshua

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the first one for both the colour and cutting and hope that it will brighten up more in person as it looks a little darkish in the picture. The second one might have leakage and the colour reminds me of the irradiated blues.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of blue diamonds, and I feel that people buy them not necessarily for beauty, but because they are collectors of colored diamonds and need one in their collection. If you want something rare, it''s something to have, albeit a very very expensive tiny gemstone. I''m personally not crazy about either, and I feel that the first one is going to look like a dark grey rectangle. I could think of many better ways to spend all that money. JMO.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You do realize they are beyond tiny, right? They're specks! Either one will get lost in your fingernail. How are you going to set it so someone will see it?

Have you considered a pink diamond? They're more reasonable and you might be able to actually see it. My absolute smallest size for anything is 7 mm, I just don't have the eyesight to appreciate anything smaller.

Consider that, with an investment grade diamond, you have to evaluate the secondary market, because at some point, you may want to sell it. Visualize the auctioneer presenting these weeny little blue diamonds. The ladies in the audience will not be too impressed, and they control the purse strings. Now visualize a larger, maybe 1/2 carat pink or even slightly brownish pink (I think a light touch of brown adds body to the color): much more attention from the audience. These ladies want to impress their friends. Purplish pinks are pretty cool, too.

I think you should cut out a piece of blue paper that is the size and shape of each of these. That will help you visualize their scale.

If you still like the blue ones, go for the light blue, at least you'll get some refraction. But with either one of these blues, people will think they're irradiated and those are pretty cheap.

Sorry, just my humble opinion.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Going purely on the pictures, neither really looks like what I think of when you say "blue diamond"

#1 to me looks like a poor sapphire & #2 looks like either a aquamarine or a blue topaz.

And is that windows I see?

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick one
40.gif
39.gif
40.gif
I would chose #1

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
having just looked at the specs, and prices (esp the price for #1), I'm sorry but I think I'd rather you just pulled the trigger .
9.gif
JMO

$16.7k for a 0.12ct stone
23.gif

There are soooooooo many more stones I'd rather buy for that price.

But hey, if you have the money and the stone floats your boat ... go for it!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
#1 looks to me like a London Blue Topaz and #2 like a washed out Aquamarine, but as the saying goes, "Beauty is..."

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I am a fan of both blue diamonds and tiny stones (I have a lot of 3-4mm stones), but neither of these really do it for me. The color of the first looks a little dull, and the second is windowed and looks like that irradiated blue-green diamond color. Of these I like the first better, but for that price I''d keep looking!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would buy a white diamond, aim a blue light at it and say, voila!
Then I would gaze admiringly at my remaining 15k and get a really fantastik® sapphire or windex® spinel.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Um....yeah. I have a hundred diamonds that size, and let me tell you, I have prolly half of what I used to from a light breeze blowing them into my carpet, never to be found again. That is a TINY TINY diamond, and will look like a chip inless you carry the GIA report with you to show people the enlarged photo. 16k is UNACCEPTABLE IMO for something that small. If you have the means and really want one, I would say the 1st. But remember this board is full of people who want the biggest bang for their buck, and that is is more of a fizzle.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys.
I appreciate all the input.

Thinking out loud...
All my diamonds are for me to enjoy for what they intrinsically are; not to show or impress others.
(Though it is nice to share with others who appreciate and understand, such as with people here at PS.)
I understand and accept how small these are.
I've never been a diamond size queen; all our rocks are of high color and clarity knowing that for the same price I could have gone much larger.
I just have a preference for what I perceive as high-quality goods with carat being the least important C.

I'm not sure I'd even set it.

Naturally-colored diamonds just cost what they cost.
Someone may say, "Save money and get a sapphire or aquamarine", because they will look the same to everyone else.
Natural sapphires and aquamarine cost what they cost too.
But I'd respond that cut glass can look similar so why waste money on real sapphire or aquamarine?

No, you want real aquamarine not glass because, well you just want the real thing.
Real aquamarine has an intrinsic value you are willing to pay for.
Same to me with naturally-colored diamonds.

I don't hold it against the second that it looks like irradiated blues any more than I'd hold it against a real Hermes bag that it looks like good fakes.
The real deal is the real deal.

I assumed the light table on the second was glare from the lighting.
You think it is windowing?
Or is there something else besides the table being a lighter value that makes you guys suspect windowing?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was reflection off the table too but I checked the dimensions and it seemed a bit shallow. I dont know are the proportions different for trilliants?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i want your color stone budget!

i prefer #1.

you''re words in describing #1 say it all...you are hypnotized by it. why even ask here?

like another poster, i''d take use the $ to buy other quality stones: but its not my $ and i''m not hypnotized!

and, kenny, i like your attitude: YOU BUY FOR YOURSELF NOT TO IMPRESS OTHERS.

mz

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I second everything MZ said, especially the part about wanting your budget!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 12:22:31 PM
Author: movie zombie
you're words in describing #1 say it all...you are hypnotized by it. why even ask here?

Excellent point mz, and actually (this is a threadjack) this is a huge subject for me.
I'm the engineering, nerd, thinking type.
I love charts and graphs, specs and data.
I analyze to death and rarely just go with my heart, my emotions, or my gut.

Most people fall pretty strongly into one camp or the other.
A purchase like this has both sides of my brain marching to war.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is deff. a window. You can see the facets on the pavillion just barely.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 12:34:54 PM
Author: RockHugger
It is deff. a window. You can see the facets on the pavillion just barely.

But wouldn''t table glare wash them out too?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking it’s a window too because it is see-through with hints of the pavilion facets peeking through. If it is just table glare, then it should be just a huge white light.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
yes I think it would especially since the affected area is the same shape, size and placement as the table. But then too, the depth is a meager 38%

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think one could get this effect with glare if the angle of the light to table to amera axis were just on the cusp of the Raleigh angle, especialy so if the lens were of large diameter such that one edge of the lens was just over and the other edge just under the Raleigh angle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 12:43:55 PM
Author: VapidLapid
I think one could get this effect with glare if the angle of the light to table to amera axis were just on the cusp of the Raleigh angle, especialy so if the lens were of large diameter such that one edge of the lens was just over and the other edge just under the Raleigh angle.
That makes sense too; because I know that trillions are typically shallower by the nature of the cut, even if not windowed. Well, the only sure fire way to solve this riddle is to either ask the vendor or see it in person.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 12:34:19 PM
Author: kenny

i so hate it when that happens.....sigh.

mz

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, table glare does not always have to be on or off, solid pure white vs. not there at all.
There are shades of in between, especially when the light source is large and soft rather than one point like the sun, and depending on the angles of light and camera.

Light properties in the rest of the image suggest the lighting that fancydiamonds.net uses is a large soft source, like a Cloud Dome.
(I wanna get one of these for my diamond photography.)

But then again you guys know cut and if 38% depth means windowing I should find out . . . I need to ask the vendor, but frankly I'm just in the thinking about it stage.
The problem is thinking can turn into doing pretty fast with me.

Cloud Dome

82mm-top15.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The engineering side of your brain will like this if you haven''t seen it before.

http://www.folds.net/diamond_design/index.html

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh, thanks VL.
I bookmarked that one for future reading.
36.gif

Oh and does this thread belong on Rocky Talk since it is about diamonds?
I'm never sure where colored diamond threads belong.
There are more eyeballs there but more color knowledge here and we are not suppose to crosspost.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think you''re in the right place: this is for Color and that is a Color diamond.

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 12:34:19 PM
Author: kenny

Date: 6/25/2010 12:22:31 PM
Author: movie zombie
you're words in describing #1 say it all...you are hypnotized by it. why even ask here?

Excellent point mz, and actually (this is a threadjack) this is a huge subject for me.
I'm the engineering, nerd, thinking type.
I love charts and graphs, specs and data.
I analyze to death and rarely just go with my heart, my emotions, or my gut.

Are you sure? This seems like an emotional purchase if you really want to spend a fortune on a tiny blue chip. I am married to an engineer and I know a lot of engineers, and IMO, they would probably try to get the best combination of color, cut, clarity and size for their money. For them, it's like shopping for a car.

Those stones are so small, you can easily make out details in the tweezer grooves. Now THAT's SMALL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results