shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire/spinel closing up under sunlight

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! So I have a question for the experts. Do pretty much all sapphires and spinels tend to darken up under direct sunlight? I am looking for a stone to make an alternative E-ring with and came across a nice 3.5 (approx) carat sapphire for a great price, but I'm wondering if it's going to do the same thing as my current Montana sapphire and close up outdoors. I mean under shade it looks fantastic but in the sun I feel like it looks super dirty/dull or something. The sapphire is very light in color. Well actually it's the one OTL posted on loupe troop. I will try to add a link. I would definitely consider a spinel as well!

Ok I'm too brain dead today to add a link. I'm sure I have done it before but can't remember how. I will do some research and try again in a bit. Bear with me!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
austinj|1452403067|3973549 said:
Do pretty much all sapphires and spinels tend to darken up under direct sunlight?

Yes, direct sunlight is just about the worst viewing environment for any gemstone. The reason is that the sun is so much brighter than anything else in the sky. Your pupils contract when viewing the bright, reflective areas of the stone, making the other areas of the stone look lifeless. In a darker colored stone, those dark areas can look nearly black. It's all about light levels and contrast, too much contrast and high light levels in the bright spots makes the stone look horrible, (unless it has significant and attractive colored fluorescence or very finely dispersed silk like a Kashmir sapphire). Unattractive fluorescence and strange inclusions can also make a stone look dirty, (but not darker), in sunlight, so you may want someone with gemological training to look over your gem to see what's going on.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Ok thanks so much for the informative reply Michael! So can I ask do diamonds have the same effect under sunlight as well? I don't really remember it happening with my old engagement ring with a diamond center. But it's very possible I just wasn't paying attention either. Gemstone bug didn't hit me until couple years later :).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
austinj|1452403067|3973549 said:
Hello everyone! So I have a question for the experts. Do pretty much all sapphires and spinels tend to darken up under direct sunlight? I am looking for a stone to make an alternative E-ring with and came across a nice 3.5 (approx) carat sapphire for a great price, but I'm wondering if it's going to do the same thing as my current Montana sapphire and close up outdoors. I mean under shade it looks fantastic but in the sun I feel like it looks super dirty/dull or something. The sapphire is very light in color. Well actually it's the one OTL posted on loupe troop. I will try to add a link. I would definitely consider a spinel as well!

Ok I'm too brain dead today to add a link. I'm sure I have done it before but can't remember how. I will do some research and try again in a bit. Bear with me!

This link?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/lots-of-gems-for-sale-spinel-sapphire-tsavorite-earrings-t218690.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/lots-of-gems-for-sale-spinel-sapphire-tsavorite-earrings-t218690.html[/URL]

cheers--Sharon

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Yes Sharon thank you. It is the pretty pretty light blue sapphire on top. Thanks for linking it!

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
austinj|1452478828|3973955 said:
Ok thanks so much for the informative reply Michael! So can I ask do diamonds have the same effect under sunlight as well? I don't really remember it happening with my old engagement ring with a diamond center. But it's very possible I just wasn't paying attention either. Gemstone bug didn't hit me until couple years later :).
Yes, the same thing happens with diamonds, just typically less apparent.

Stones that have silk and more inclusions may not black out - the inclusions can help disperse the light throughout the stone, giving them a glow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blacking out vs super dirty/dull under direct sunlight are 2 different things. Which one happens? I have stones that do not show silk nor have visible inclusions, yet do not black out under direct sunlight.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Ok thanks Elle for the info on diamonds. Good to know! And Chrono yes sorry I meant that it just becomes dull looking and hardly no light reflects back. Like the stone is just eating the light and it looks like a blue grey blob sort of. It doesn't black out though! I just find that I'm not enjoying it it most lights unless I'm in the bathroom or kitchen. And that seems to be the light I am in the least. Well the kitchen I'm in quite a bit but I'm certainly not wearing my ring while cooking.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blacking out or not, it doesn't sound like it is the right stone for you. :(sad

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Casual observation: the way you describe it sounds as if often it is unappealing - it certainly would not interest me.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Ok I think the way I wrote the post was confusing. The one that looks dull under sunlight is my E-ring stone. So I am stuck with it (and I do like it under certain lighting). But basically I was wondering what to look for in the next sapphire so that it won't do that as much. I haven't seen the one that is for sale in person or anything. Do you guys think it would be a good stone? I do tend to like the lighter to medium colors the best. Or is this phenomenon just something I would have to see in person? I have a couple settings in mind already for whatever stone I pick. I will try and attach!

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Apologies I cannot remember who the first lovely ring belongs to offhand but it is a PSer. But it's a style I can just order I believe!

_1488.jpeg

_1489.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry about both the confusion and how your e-ring stone performs. The only way to know is to see the stone in person and put it through its paces.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, I'm sorry about the confusion. It was definitely the way that i wrote the post that sounded weird. Even I got confused reading it over again! Ok great i kind of suspected i would need to see it in person so thanks for the reply! Honestly, i was browsing last night and saw Kelpie's huge pink tourmaline solitaire, and now i cant get that out of my head. So there may be a giant tourmaline in my future now! Hers looks just like a giant candy ring and i LOVE it! Thanks again :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results