shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium plating grandma's aquamarines?

luxroman

Rough_Rock
I am getting married on a budget this summer. Because I won't be able to get a new pair of earrings, I will use my late grandmother's aquamarines... Which in itself is a great idea, as they have a lovely emotional meaning, and I have always found very beautiful. Also, they actually match my light blue sapphire engagement ring and the white and blue colours of the wedding. The only reason I am not thrilled by the idea is that they are made in yellow gold, whereas my engagement ring and our wedding bands are be white. Do you think I could get them rhodium plated? Will it show that it's not actually white gold? Will the aquamarines need to be taken out? Is it a bad idea? Recommendations as to go for it or to leave them as they are? I have attached some pictures as a reference.

Many thanks!

file_000_1.jpg

file_002_1.jpg

file_001.jpg

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Wow those are so gorgeous! I really love them! I wouldn't touch them myself. The question is do you look good in yellow gold? Some skin tones look great and others not so much. If yellow gold suits your skin tone then i would say wear them! Although I am not one to be particularly matchy matchy so the wedding set being in white gold wouldn't bother me. Have you tried it all on to see what it looks like?

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your advice austinj!

Here's a picture of me wearing them... Does this help?

untitled_6_0.png

collier

Shiny_Rock
Those are lovely! I know what you mean about the white vs yellow but I would be very hesitant to change them and would wear them as is. You may find that your tastes change over time. The yellow also brings out the blue as a nice contrast.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Oh I think you have great skin tone for yellow gold! They look really really pretty!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1488207479|4134270 said:
Do not plate them. They are beautiful as is.

Seriously - wear them with love and be proud. Don't change a thing. No one will notice the metal difference and if they do, the story will enchant them.

Wishing you wonderful things on your wedding day and beyond!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones do not need to be removed in order to be plated. The metal underneath will show through the plating sooner due to the yellow colour.

Personally, I would leave them as they are. They are gorgeous and the yellow brings out the blue very well.

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you lambskin, BlingObsession, and Chrono! I will leave them as they are. I'm very happy to know most people do not see the different metals as a problem. :D

And thank you for the sweet wishes BlingObsession :)

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
sounds like you have already decided, I would also leave them as is - they are lovely

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results