shape
carat
color
clarity

Priscilla Chan Zuckerberg - ruby e-ring!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks lovely.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maebelle|1337827968|3202273 said:
Sorry for the double post, I didn't see yours until after I submitted!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2148972/The-simple-ruby-ring-Mark-Zuckerberg-designed-Priscilla-Chan-value-estimates-25-000-pricier-looks.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I like it of course. I like having more real world examples of colored stone engagement rings. But where is this expert getting $25000 for the whole ring?

Off to report the double post. :)

No need to apologize! great minds think alike :wavey: !

I remember going through a celebrity ring thread on PS, where a lot of PSers would comment that the prices listed with the rings in magazines were quite off! Also, the press would call different cuts by the wrong name/shape, too!

(BTW - I LOVE your profile pic! :love: I've seen that pic before, and always wondered what that precious baby looks like now!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1337839448|3202380 said:
It is surprisingly understated for a billionaire!

Maybe it's secretly a flawless natural red diamond.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps she wanted a ring that she could wear all of the time - a ruby ring this size would certainly fit the bill. While I have a few rings that have larger stones (obviously NOT unheated rubies), they are definitely not everyday rings, as they would interfere with my daily activities if I were to wear them.

I often wonder how some of the "stars" with the huge honkers can do anything with them on their fingers.... they probably just wear them when they are out and about getting photographed. I think it was a great choice.. I hope we eventually get to see better photographs of the ring.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
I love it, TDF.

I hate how the articles make it seem like it's not valuable since it's "not a huge diamond." That is ridiculous.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Can't tell a lot from those pictures. In that one photo it almost looks heart shaped?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I love a good ruby!

She's a pediatrician, isn't she? All day washing hands and dealing with things stuck up kids' noses :D , this is very practical.

But I do kind of hope it's a red diamond; I think Zuckerberg is a big jerk, and if it all goes south, diamonds are still a girl's best friend.

I have been looking for an awesome ruby for a long time, because the Victorian tradition was to wear the husband's birthstone as an engagement ring (is that right?) and DH was born in a ruby month.

I do LOVE rubies . . . but . . . I'm not gonna lie . . . if I had opened the box, I would have said "are there diamond earrings somewhere that come with this, Mr Billionaire?" :D

Antique Ring Lady

Rough_Rock
Trade
It must be a very fine ruby, I would think....wondering what its country of origin might be?

as opposed to a glass or lead filled ruby, which have been an issue in the trade!

Glass or lead filled rubies have been showing up in vintage jewelry as well, something to watch out for.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Antique Ring Lady|1337867295|3202523 said:
Yes, I was wondering that myself...very difficult to tell the shape..

It looks like a round with either round or east-west oval diamond side stones to me, but we are all working from the same blurry photographs.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The "expert" states that the ruby would cost $8-10k (which I can believe, for an untreated Burma stone) and the whole ring at $25k, conservatively. Sorry, but what expert would think that setting would cost $15k, even with the nice diamond side stones?

I really like the ring and, from the description, the wedding sounded like fun. I hate how the magazines spin everything towards the money, by implying that the bride would have been "disappointed" with the ring and highlighting how the Mexican food was inexpensive and so was dessert. They did what they wanted, how they wanted and treated their guests well, with good food.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1337879548|3202715 said:
The "expert" states that the ruby would cost $8-10k (which I can believe, for an untreated Burma stone) and the whole ring at $25k, conservatively. Sorry, but what expert would think that setting would cost $15k, even with the nice diamond side stones?

I really like the ring and, from the description, the wedding sounded like fun. I hate how the magazines spin everything towards the money, by implying that the bride would have been "disappointed" with the ring and highlighting how the Mexican food was inexpensive and so was dessert. They did what they wanted, how they wanted and treated their guests well, with good food.
Ditto Lady D.

Great food does not have to be expensive.

I think her ring is gorgeous. So it looks maybe 2-3 carats? Just in browsing NSC, they have a few rubies in the $40k+ price range that are currently 15% off in that size range.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
We LOVE LOVE Burdick's chocolate!!! That's so funny. It was actually the first gift my now husband gave (actually he sent it) to me. A wooden box (that I still have) that also contained mice. :lickout: We gave a box to our daughter for Valentine's day too....

Oh, and I LOVE Priscilla's ring too :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I think it's gorgeous! Pretty refreshing actually to see multi-billionaires NOT flash their money around for once. I like the one article that suggested it was chosen for a more "traditional" meaning, and it does seem much more practical for her to have a "smaller" ring given that she is a doctor and will be working with her hands and washing hands frequently, rather than a rich celebrity who sits around doing nothing all day.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

I know jeez.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1337884165|3202786 said:

Ditto Lady D.

Great food does not have to be expensive.

I think her ring is gorgeous. So it looks maybe 2-3 carats? Just in browsing NSC, they have a few rubies in the $40k+ price range that are currently 15% off in that size range.

I'm going to guess on the smaller side (maybe around two). But it could be a chunky stone.

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
The dailymail article said that he presented this ring at the wedding ceremony, so perhaps when they got engaged, she was given a BIG diamond that we will never get to see? :naughty: Even Bill Gates bought his wife a nice rock from Costco, so here's hoping to that possibility because the diamond lover in me would be too disappointed, otherwise. :lol:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I like it.

A small diamond in a bezel ring would be most practical for her work. Easy to get under gloves.

But this isn't too outrageous.

I wear a small cushion diamond ring to work.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princessfeedme|1337904436|3203070 said:
The dailymail article said that he presented this ring at the wedding ceremony, so perhaps when they got engaged, she was given a BIG diamond that we will never get to see? :naughty: Even Bill Gates bought his wife a nice rock from Costco, so here's hoping to that possibility because the diamond lover in me would be too disappointed, otherwise. :lol:

Where did you hear that? Is there a photo of Melinda Gates' ring? Just curious.

Too bad there's not a better photo of this ruby ring. It's refreshing to see a wealthy person not have to buy a 50 carat something to show off. It's the sentiment that matters most, and some people just don't find jewelry that important.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So classy, elegant and understated. It's probably quite telling of their characters as likely to be down to earth people as well. Looks like an oval of about 2 cts to me but those pictures are so teeny tiny though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What did her facebook page say about it? :tongue:

Maybe the media got it all wrong--all red just has to be "ruby". Perhaps it is beryl. There, now, for sure, it has to be what a billionaire would buy!

Regardless, may she wear it in health.

cheers--Sharon

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ruby is pretty, but I don't like the setting...it looks a little outdated or lackluster. That ruby in a Leon ring would be gorgeous, and since he does low settings, still practical!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TL|1337953449|3203464 said:

Too bad there's not a better photo of this ruby ring. It's refreshing to see a wealthy person not have to buy a 50 carat something to show off. It's the sentiment that matters most, and some people just don't find jewelry that important.

:errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Really? What else is there? :shock:

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
TL|1337953449|3203464 said:

It was from an old (at least 10 years ago) 20/20 interview Barbara Walters did with him and his wife. If I remember correctly, they showed the receipt for $20K and it was a simple solitaire.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks practical and if she loves it then that is all that matters. But for me it is too plain.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the photos are blurry, but from what I can see, it has understated elegance, and it is nice. Priscilla looks very pretty. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results