shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me replace the "plastic" in my mom's old ring

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom recently gave me all of her jewelry. Most of it is terrible quality but sentimental.

This piece is one I remember her wearing a lot. She says the green stone is something cheap and nasty, but has no idea what it is. The setting looks like WG to me and is ornate (but rough). The pics show it's brownish in some spots, but that's just a weird reflection. The setting is totally white.

The green stone is about 10x13. I'm open to a cab or faceted stone, but I don't want to spend a ton of money...maybe about $150? I also don't like the way the current stoen sits so high and leaves so much space, so maybe a faceted stone might fill up the setting more nicely?

Here are the pics...

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Please help me replace the "plastic" in my mom's old rin

And the last two. Ideas are appreciated. :) I like blues and greens for this project!

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

In keeping with the color and tone of the current "stone", I would think to go Chrysoprase. WIth your concern about the bottom of a cabochon being awkward in that setting, it does happen sometimes that chrysoprase lends itself to facetting. This one is sold but was cut by bespoke gems, and you could certainly ask if he could cut another in your size.

chrysofacet.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My initial thought is that your cabochon is a chrysoprase as well due to the colour and opaqueness of the gem. You can definitely get a faceted gem to mount in the setting but for that size, you are likely to go over your $150 budget. Cabochons are going to be more cost effective and to fill up that gap underneath, it needs to have a "heavy" bottom, not a flat bottom.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid said:
In keeping with the color and tone of the current "stone", I would think to go Chrysoprase. WIth your concern about the bottom of a cabochon being awkward in that setting, it does happen sometimes that chrysoprase lends itself to facetting. This one is sold but was cut by bespoke gems, and you could certainly ask if he could cut another in your size.

Ooo very cool stone VL!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Alternatively, if you like the ring as is and it's gone up in your estimation because it may well be chrysoprase - you could leave it as it is and save $150 :bigsmile:

Can you just confirm that the black spot is a reflection and not there on the stone itself?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Starzin, those black spots you see seem to be in the stone, and not a reflection.

I went looking online and did wonder if it was chrysophase as it seemed cost effective. The stone shows no major dings or anything for being so old...so maybe it's not plastic?

I may have to go to Patrick Davis in a couple of weeks, so I might have him take a look at it. I'd keep it as is if was an actual gemstone (no matter how cheap) but I wouldn't mind setting a nice faceted aqua in it, and spend more money if I found one I liked.

Thanks for your input everyone...if you see anything that might look good, I'd love to see it. Do you think a faceted aqua would look funny in this setting?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I think it is a funny setting in the first place. Those shims that the prongs are attached to are kind of awkward nd take up significant space in what should be the seat. Would you consider having a smithy alter it?
I was thinking since it is high and kinda kooky in the first place a faceted cherry fire opal or gem silica would be nice, maybe a faceted welo ethiopal?

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade

TG :wavey:

It does look like chrysoprase to me; but an easy way to test if it is plastic is to heat a needle red hot and stick it to it underneath ( or an obscure place) and if it does not stick or make a mark you will know it is not plastic.

One alternative if you like the gem and not the reveal on the sides; is get a jeweler to make a bezel; whack off the prongs and you will have a bezel set ring with the ornate turns on the sides???

I am sure a good metal worker can work some magic on the setting if you like the gem. I think it is a lovely granny smith apple green; but I like chrysoprase as it looks so liquid like and I really love the more emerald like Imperial chrysoprase... Both are lovely gems and take a great polish...

Just a thought.

most respectfully;

Dana

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid|1334076261|3167549 said:
I think it is a funny setting in the first place. Those shims that the prongs are attached to are kind of awkward nd take up significant space in what should be the seat. Would you consider having a smithy alter it?
I was thinking since it is high and kinda kooky in the first place a faceted cherry fire opal or gem silica would be nice, maybe a faceted welo ethiopal?

I wouldn't want to spend any money reworking it, only because it will be worn when I'm feeling sentimental (I was even thinking of just keeping the "plastic" as is. But yeah, the thing is set high. Almost all of my mom's jewelry is...maybe that was the style in Korea back then!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

mastercutgems|1334077611|3167555 said:
TG :wavey:

It does look like chrysoprase to me; but an easy way to test if it is plastic is to heat a needle red hot and stick it to it underneath ( or an obscure place) and if it does not stick or make a mark you will know it is not plastic.

One alternative if you like the gem and not the reveal on the sides; is get a jeweler to make a bezel; whack off the prongs and you will have a bezel set ring with the ornate turns on the sides???

I am sure a good metal worker can work some magic on the setting if you like the gem. I think it is a lovely granny smith apple green; but I like chrysoprase as it looks so liquid like and I really love the more emerald like Imperial chrysoprase... Both are lovely gems and take a great polish...

Just a thought.

most respectfully;

Dana

Thanks Dana! I will try that. And make sure I'm wearing gloves to I don't burn myself, lol.

I do like your idea, but I just don't want to spend a ton of money reworking this. Still, I will keep it in mind. I don't mind the setting as is. It's sort of weird...but my mom wore it for years. ::)

The stone is darker IRL when I'm indoors. Outside it is more the color in the photos.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

OK I just did the needle test...it did not stick or make a mark. So it's not plastic. :rodent:

So that's probably what it is, seeing that this material seems to be really inexpensive?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh, and for fun, here is another one of the weird rings she had. Looks like rose gold with a really ugly brown stone. It's like a football on my finger, and check out the table...I could ski down that slope! Think this one may stay in the jewelry box and maybe my daughter will like weird rings in the future...

Other PSers seem like they have moms with great stuff. Mine, not so much :rodent: , but I did love seeing them on her fingers when I was a little girl. Sentimentality trumps again, I guess...........

Moms brown ring.jpg

moms brown ring 2.jpg

moms brown ring 3.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TG - I'm pretty sure that's a smokey quartz. In that last photo, the top of the stone looks like it slopes downwards? Does it? I know it's odd but I like the quirkiness of it!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

LD|1334089359|3167737 said:
TG - I'm pretty sure that's a smokey quartz. I love the setting (but then I'm partial to a marquise)!!!!

LD, good to see you 'round. :wavey: The setting is interesting, but I'd like it more if there was a prettier stone in it. Don't think I can crack this one open as easily!

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade

If It is, in fact, chrysoprase, they aren't terribly inexpensive as a lot of people think. As pricey as an emerald, or Jadeite, ruby? No... not even close, but the prices are going up, and going up at a steady clip. I cut chrysoprase and the prices for good rough have gone up out of my comfort range. There is a new find of the stuff in Tanzania, but so far it doesnt quite come close to the Australian material, in which the best is basically mind from one hill in Marlborough. The Chinese own half the hill and it's pretty much gone. The other half is the Candala mine and their production is getting lower and lower while demand is going higher and higher. Have that thing tested at least if you do decide to remove it and replace it with something else... That ring is pretty funky, and would probably have to be modified to fit the pavilion of a faceted stone from what I can tell.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Cool loot--just leave it! I like that is is quirky-ala "plasticky"!

cheers--Sharon

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TravelingGal|1334089441|3167739 said:
TG - I'm pretty sure that's a smokey quartz. I love the setting (but then I'm partial to a marquise)!!!!

LD, good to see you 'round. :wavey: The setting is interesting, but I'd like it more if there was a prettier stone in it. Don't think I can crack this one open as easily!

:wavey: Right back atcha TG! I really do like the setting and it looks like it's a cage for the rugby ball aka smokey quartz! It's a huge ring so finding a marquise to go in it might be challenging! Do you know what the metal is? I'm not sure it's gold - it looks maybe like brass? Difficult to tell from a photo BUT if it's gold then it's probably got a good weight and I'd be very tempted to get a hunking old marquise to put in it! Maybe something relatively inexpensive like an Ametrine or a different type of quartz. If it's a bezel top (albeit it doesn't seem to be bezelling anything at the moment!!!!), it could be opened and the gem slipped out.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

LD|1334090312|3167756 said:
TravelingGal|1334089441|3167739 said:

:wavey: Right back atcha TG! I really do like the setting and it looks like it's a cage for the rugby ball aka smokey quartz! It's a huge ring so finding a marquise to go in it might be challenging! Do you know what the metal is? I'm not sure it's gold - it looks maybe like brass? Difficult to tell from a photo BUT if it's gold then it's probably got a good weight and I'd be very tempted to get a hunking old marquise to put in it! Maybe something relatively inexpensive like an Ametrine or a different type of quartz. If it's a bezel top (albeit it doesn't seem to be bezelling anything at the moment!!!!), it could be opened and the gem slipped out.

Maybe it is brass! I have no idea. I'll never wear it though!

Sharon, yeah, I'll keep the green ring as is.

Stonebender, thanks! I may have it tested someday if it's convenient.

Meanwhile, I have one more of my mom's rings...the most extinct sapphire you ever did see. BRB.....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here is her sapphire ring. It just looks like a black, shiny stone. I don't mind the setting, although it looks scary in macro photography (I have a new respect at how lovely PSers jewelry looks in macro). She told me this was a "good quality" ring.

You can see why I had to start buying her jewelry!! :lol:

moms sapphire.jpg

moms sapphire2.jpg

moms sapphire3.jpg

moms sapphire4.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey you're missing a trick! Take it out of its setting, re-mount into a "Diana/Kate" type ring and you'll sell it for a fortune!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

LD|1334091529|3167786 said:
Hey you're missing a trick! Take it out of its setting, re-mount into a "Diana/Kate" type ring and you'll sell it for a fortune!!!

:appl:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Okay...just woke up. If I'm up with the story so far...

a) is probably a chrysoprase so you're keeping it as is. But what size would it have to be for a replacement? Here's a 12x14 aqua in a ring http://www.diamondbistro.com/catego...uamarine,-Tourmaline-and-diamond-wg-ring.html for $399 and this one's 13.5 x 8.7 x 5mm for $130 but with a visible inclusion http://www.diamondbistro.com/catego...0/429-cts-Unheated-Rare-Strong-Blue-Aqua.html

b) I'd agree with LD that it is probably both smokey quartz and brass. I rather like this ring also but agree that the smokey is not showing it's best and would look entirely different if recut. A good smokey can be delicious - check the one halfway down the page on Jerry Newman's site http://www.gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm. Replacing it with an ametrine or citrine would probably be the most inexpensive and "brightening" option otherwise. If it is brass, it depends on whether you want to spend money on retaining the style and essence of your mum's ring but recutting or putting in a stone you take pleasure in. Can you get some calipers in there to tell us how big it is?

c) off to Jerry Newman for a recut! :lol: Since we've just saved you a couple of hundred dollars by not changing the first two, it's probably worth it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A super quirky ring; I have not seen such an incline / decline outside of the ski slopes. :tongue: The setting isn't holding the stone either, only enclosing it. Strange yet interesting. The stone looks very much like a smoky topaz. Does the setting have a hallmark stamp? It doesn't look like gold.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Starzin, yes I think I'll keep everything as is. My kid can sell it if she doesn't want it. But I want to wear these rings, even if it's around the house when my mom is long gone. She didn't have much, and this is the extent of her jewelry before I started buying some for her (at a very young age, so there's even more junk, like colored stone studs bought from the "birthstone" display! :cheeky: )

Chrono, I'll look for a stamp, but I doubt there is one. It is probably a cheap metal. And yeah, the stone rattles around in there. It's a funky setting and if Amelia needs it for a costume dress up or something, I'll have it for her!

If anything, my kid will receive two generations worth of jewelry at some point, and it's a testament to how much my mom sacrificed to give her own kids a better life. ::)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tgal - I am so glad you're keeping it as is. I love what it means to you and, being the sentimental fool I am, was really hoping it wasn't plastic (I must say, I never thought it looked like plastic)!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

If anything, my kid will receive two generations worth of jewelry at some point, and it's a testament to how much my mom sacrificed to give her own kids a better life. ::)

It's lovely that you appreciate them for what they are and that you will always treasure your memories of her wearing them, lovely of her also to give them to you now.

However the sapphire may well be worth seeing if a recut would improve it and would definitely add to your enjoyment of that particular ring. It may not be very expensive - worth an inquiry at least?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin|1334141357|3168290 said:

It's lovely that you appreciate them for what they are and that you will always treasure your memories of her wearing them, lovely of her also to give them to you now.

However the sapphire may well be worth seeing if a recut would improve it and would definitely add to your enjoyment of that particular ring. It may not be very expensive - worth an inquiry at least?

Starzin I doubt whether a recut would improve the sapphire much. It's very very dark and you'd have to recut it considerably (so you'd lose quite a lot of weight) and wouldn't necessarily improve the stone to a level that TGal would be happy with it. Sometimes you have to factor in the cost of the recut against the current size and what you want to achieve. If you have a native cut with a wonky culet for example, a small recut might improve the gem considerably and what it loses in weight it would gain in value but trying to improve colour doesn't always work or make a gem more valuable/desirable. If you look back through my (many) threads, you may come across a 4ct Paraiba Tourmaline with a very large window. I really really really wanted to recut it but after some enquiries it became obvious that I would lose a substantial amount of weight and value and therefore the gem in its native form was actually more valuable and definitely NOT a good candidate for a re-cut - although you would have thought so!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I highly doubt the sapphire will be a good candidate for a recut. It isn't big to begin with and is already so dark in tone that unless cut shallowly, will not much in improvement. When you add these cons, recut cost and the loss of the original, it makes little sense to recut it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results