shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find a mint green stone!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
My daughter is starting to get interested in stones and I'd like to get her a small, inexpensive (<$100) mint green stone for her birthday.

Any suggestions? I'd love something durable, that she could play with for a while and that I could set in a ring or pendant down the road. No preference on shape.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Search for a mint green peridot. If it's about a carat or below, it will be budget friendly.

If you want bigger stones for your budget, a mint green chalcedony is an option.

Slightly lower on Mohs hardness scale are chrysophase and prehnite, but are also options. You can get them inclusion free for increased durability within your budget, but careful with scratching.

If it is for "playing", select a cabochon instead of faceted cuts as this cut will be more durable from abrasion.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the ideas!!

All the peridot I'm finding looks like it has a yellow modifier - I'd love something that has a blue modifier, if I can find one. Small size is ok!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline might be easier to find leaning blue (or even aqua..). Check the tourmaline page at litnon. Theres a couple smaller included pieces <$100 that might be closer

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cool. Given the size it probably will require more effort to eventually set. They also have a couple of 7x5 ovals in the same color range that might have a better chance fitting a stock setting. Kind of hard to tell too much about the cut with that off-center photo. It wouldn't hurt to send them an email for some follow-up questions.

Looks like prima has a few too; this one looks the best to me:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/221141281051?_mwBanner=1

Seems like the sort of thing that might have a big bucket of options somewhere in Tuscon..

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results