shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help!! Have to decide on Monday. Fair ruby price?

danskow

Rough_Rock
Didn't get a response on my last post, please help I want to be sure I'm not paying too much.

Stone is very pretty, extremely clear and eye clean. What worries me is the color grading of pinkish red.

Price is 6000$

_885.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened with the one from pesrlmans? I felt like that one as more vivid than this

danskow

Rough_Rock
The cut was not symmetrical at all and the whole stone is visible so it needs to have good symmetry, I did keep in close contact with him though and might consider different options if this falls through.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
danskow|1452472547|3973897 said:
The cut was not symmetrical at all and the whole stone is visible so it needs to have good symmetry, I did keep in close contact with him though and might consider different options if this falls through.

Have you seen this original stone in person?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Do you have any additional pictures of this ruby? I'm not sure if that spot toward the center is a window or not. I looked through your previous post and that is too bad about the Pearlman's ruby [emoji20] The color looked great in their picture.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1452473545|3973906 said:
Do you have any additional pictures of this ruby? I'm not sure if that spot toward the center is a window or not. I looked through your previous post and that is too bad about the Pearlman's ruby [emoji20] The color looked great in their picture.

Oh yes that's a window

danskow

Rough_Rock
Are you sure it's a window? In the agl picture that isn't there, I didn't notice a window when I looked at it. However I'm no expert.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
danskow|1452478513|3973954 said:
Are you sure it's a window? In the agl picture that isn't there, I didn't notice a window when I looked at it. However I'm no expert.

Yes. But if you saw it in person and it wasn't noticeable then that's what matters.

So you did see it?

Do you actually like the color, ignoring all else, did not excite you when you saw it. Did it feel like the one?

danskow

Rough_Rock
Yes I did see it. The stone is very nice and one of the clearest/cleanest I have seen so far. It is not as vivid red as two others I saw though, but then again both of those were also heat treated. I can't say that I thought it looked like any shade of pink but that may just be me.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I don't think that's a window. I think that's some sticky stuff used to keep the stone upright when taking the picture. If it were a window it would not have a rounded outline.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Yes seems like if I zoom in on the picture, you can sort of see the facets behind it no?

danskow

Rough_Rock
Almost positive it isn't a window, pretty sure I would have seen it when viewing in person. I also asked the seller before seeing it and they said it was just a bad picture. Sorry I don't have more images I didn't ask since I saw it in person. The stone is eye clean though no inclusions, silk, or clouding, very transparent.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1452483272|3973984 said:

I don't think that's a window. I think that's some sticky stuff used to keep the stone upright when taking the picture. If it were a window it would not have a rounded outline.

That makes sense. :)

Op, you seem to want to buy it. You didn't mention the color, though. The way you talk about it isnthat you should like it, but do you like it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've seen the ruby - does it excite you? Do you feel that the price is fair for the quality? It's difficult to judge accurate colouration with that one lousy picture. I would want to know whether it has fluorescence and see how it performs under various lights, which means seeing it in person (which you have).

danskow

Rough_Rock
-yes I do like it however it was a bit higher than I would have hoped the price tag is. But not by an outrageous amount

-chrono: these are helpful remarks... First I will try to get additional photos... Second can you elaborate anything I should be asking or how I should be viewing the stone as I am seeing it again today and would need to make a decision. Like I said this is the first time I've purchased a gem so any insights or things you think I should do when viewing it today are appreciated, or any questions I should ask! Thanks again I appreciate you all and your time and help. I

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
View the stone under direct sunlight, diffused (shaded) sunlight, fluorescent and halogen light. The ruby will not look the same; it will most likely look best and worse under different light conditions. This is normal but for the price, you would also want one that does well under the type of lighting that it will be worn in the most. Does it become more purplish? Does it become more orangish? Any browning or darkening?

danskow

Rough_Rock
Okay this is helpful. I will be viewing the stone inside a store though so not sure how I will be able to see it in direct sunlight; maybe near a window. Im assuming if i ask the seller they should have the ability/have different lights for me to view it under, i will be sure to ask. Also you said that i should view it under the light it mostly would be seen under, would that just be in a room setting with no direct light exposure and just the ambient light that's around or would be viewing the stone near the window even be ideal? I am meeting with them in 4 hours so i still have some time! Thanks again! If you think of anything else please do let me know.

danskow

Rough_Rock
I know the picture is not the best but in your experience would you say this stone is higher than normal for a price or pretty standard. Sorry i dont have more photos for you to answer this to... but in your experience i was curious.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The price of a 1 cut ruby, can vary by a large range, depending on many factors, some very subtle, which are not possible to evaluate from a photograph. Typically an unheated ruby of 1 ct could range from $1000 to $25000 per ct. Color, cut, crystal and location will factor into the value. Sometimes, what looks to be a very slight difference in stones, can have a considerable impact on the value. These differences are way to small to judge from a photo, and a monitor. The main thing is do you like the stone? Or are you buying it with the intent of reselling it? If you are buying it for your self, then your personal preference in color may be quite different from what the trade considers to be ideal. You should buy what you like, unless your intent is to resell.

danskow

Rough_Rock
i do not have an intent to resell no, this is for an engagement ring. However the stone will be passed down to children as that is a custom in our family (my brother received my mothers stone already) and the reason i am curious on its value is so that it can hold that value as its passed down the line. In other words im just making sure im not paying more for something that is less and with the extremely limited knowledge i do know having as much advice (along with all the research ive done) is very helpful..... there are so many fine lines and what seem like personal preference that it is so hard to judge. I suppose it wouldn't be as much fun if that wasn't the case though!

S

SparkliesLuver

danskow said:
i do not have an intent to resell no, this is for an engagement ring. However the stone will be passed down to children as that is a custom in our family (my brother received my mothers stone already) and the reason i am curious on its value is so that it can hold that value as its passed down the line. In other words im just making sure im not paying more for something that is less and with the extremely limited knowledge i do know having as much advice (along with all the research ive done) is very helpful..... there are so many fine lines and what seem like personal preference that it is so hard to judge. I suppose it wouldn't be as much fun if that wasn't the case though!

I hope my comment doesn't come across the wrong way ... Of all the items I've received from family, the sentimental value has always meant so much more than the dollar value. And those are things I'd never even consider selling. It's hard to say how something you purchase now will change over time, so I caution you to not worry so much about that. I do, however, understand not wanting to overpay in the present.

danskow

Rough_Rock
does not come across bad at all... i agree with you whole heartadly.... i would actually be pretty upset if they choose to sell the stone.

But yes i would prefer not to overpay in the present and if possible get the best bang for my buck.

I have asked the seller to send me additional photos and information as she had an emergency and will have to meet me tomorrow... so at least I have one extra day! i will try to post those ASAP if she is able to get me more images of the stone for you all! And once again all this info and the comments are awesome its good to collaborate with you all and hear your insights!

danskow

Rough_Rock
also btw your profile picture is a very beautiful ring i love the color!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Request for an image of the stone between 2 fingers, placed on the back of the hand, another between tweezers, and although not necessary, a profile picture would be great.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not trade ideal in color but if it were you likely would be paying a heck of a lot more. It looks like a good clean stone. Being that its pinkish red, it will probably help in some lighting conditions.

I unfortunately am not a ruby expert and can't give pricing based on what I don't know...(sorry) but I think the stone is pretty. I like the color and think it would look fantastic in high karat yellow gold.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for understanding what I was saying. :) I look forward to the (additional) pictures!

(Thank you very much for the kind words about my ring!)

danskow

Rough_Rock
here are a few additional photos. I was only able to get these three from one of their store clerks in today. Sorry if they are not the best quality. Image 1 has the best quality in terms of being able to zoom in.

_35974.jpg

_35975.jpg

_35976.jpg

danskow

Rough_Rock
i am requesting more images of the profile, in tweezers and against skin tone like you said chrono and will update accordingly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results