shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Sapphire

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. I bought it from Upgradable a few months ago who had bought it several years ago. I have no idea if it's natural/synthetic/or what level of treatment. What I do know is that I really love the color.

Padparascha Sapphire
5x7 oval
+/-1ct
silky appearance
pink/orange/peach

I think I'm going to set it in rose gold, because I played with a friend's setting and I think that the color of the stone went well with the metal color. It's going to need a pretty enclosed basket style to help with the window. And I want diamonds in the setting too!

I named it "Princess Peach". It seemed fitting since my husband is a video game nerd.

Setting thoughts?

_11488.jpg

_11489.jpg

_11490.jpg

peach2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Macro lens adds 10 pounds...or several degrees of saturation. It's not this dark in real life.

pad8.jpg

_11491.jpg

_11492.jpg

_11493.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Notice the kiddo in the background with the peach tutu on. It's got metallic gold polka dots on it!

img_2607.jpg

img_8651.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, here are some settings I've rested it on for metal color ideas.

Rose gold (and WG, but you can't see it) and diamond halo (Sorry for the terrible pic!)

18kt yellow band with WG head

These pics are terrible (taken at night) but at least it gives you some idea!

pad_0.jpg

pad_in_yg.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is so pretty and I think rose or yellow will compliment it beautifully. Interestingly, as a white gold junkie, I'm actually going to say I don't think it would suit this stone.

Will you go for a closed bottom on the basket Freke to mask the window? I think having the light reflect back some of that colour to minimise the window will really make the colour pop even more.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mico|1383435792|3549284 said:
I really like it in the halo ;-)
Oh yeah? I should steal it from my friend, eh?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD|1383435814|3549285 said:
The colour is so pretty and I think rose or yellow will compliment it beautifully. Interestingly, as a white gold junkie, I'm actually going to say I don't think it would suit this stone.

Will you go for a closed bottom on the basket Freke to mask the window? I think having the light reflect back some of that colour to minimise the window will really make the colour pop even more.
I know! That's the thing I was thinking too. I'm so not a warm gold girl, but I think that's what it needs.

Yes. As much as I can. Luckily the inclusions actually help mask it a bit more than it can show in pictures.

I'll add a few more inspiration pics...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some setting ideas....organic without being obviously floral I think?

_11527.jpg

9813002.jpg

img_2612.jpg

singlestone_ideal_0.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, I love all of the recent ones you posted. I am of no use to except to be a cheerleader. I liked the look of the halo because the coloring somewhat reminds me of cameo style antique brooches/necklaces that I've recently been drooling over - but the recent floral pieces are wonderful and a delicate/artistic twist.

What would you like more? Finger presence with a nice large stone halo? Or a more delicate ring with artistic properties?

I'm a fan either way you go :)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is an absolutely beautiful color - a little slice of sunset on your finger! And, I really like the rose gold setting with the black background in the pictures, though that stone will look great in anything.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two questions: what is the reasoning for thinking it would not look as good in a white gold setting? I was thinking that it might get lost too much in a rose gold setting and maybe end up looking too pink in a yellow gold setting? I would very much like to understand, because you both have a ton more experience in setting stone than I have.

Second question: Freke, I love the ring in your first inspiration picture - where is that from? Do you know which vendor made that? Stunning!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mico|1383508530|3549636 said:
Ugh, I love all of the recent ones you posted. I am of no use to except to be a cheerleader. I liked the look of the halo because the coloring somewhat reminds me of cameo style antique brooches/necklaces that I've recently been drooling over - but the recent floral pieces are wonderful and a delicate/artistic twist.

What would you like more? Finger presence with a nice large stone halo? Or a more delicate ring with artistic properties?

I'm a fan either way you go :)
I have always loved scalloped halos, so I was super excited to play with that one.

It's a good question. I actually got a quote from Daniel M on one of the settings I posted above, but it was quite a bit above my comfort zone, although beautiful.

I think so long as it has some decent presence, I'm ok? I have a few taper-y set stones and I recently bought my first halo, but I'm still open to either idea.

GAH! This is why I need help!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jereni|1383509840|3549648 said:
Very pretty, Freke!
Thanks! I like it, even with the big ol' window.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
endless_summer|1383512895|3549678 said:
That is an absolutely beautiful color - a little slice of sunset on your finger! And, I really like the rose gold setting with the black background in the pictures, though that stone will look great in anything.
That's it exactly. It's like a sunset. I have a peach colored stone, but it's not nearly as saturated as this one, with a bit of brown in it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1383535021|3549860 said:
Two questions: what is the reasoning for thinking it would not look as good in a white gold setting? I was thinking that it might get lost too much in a rose gold setting and maybe end up looking too pink in a yellow gold setting? I would very much like to understand, because you both have a ton more experience in setting stone than I have.

Second question: Freke, I love the ring in your first inspiration picture - where is that from? Do you know which vendor made that? Stunning!
Next chance I get, I'll stop by my jeweler - they have some rose gold halo settings I can play with, so I can really get a good idea of what the color does to the stone. One thing I have noticed is that this stone looks different under different lighting conditions. Under stronger artificial lighting it looks brighter pink, and you can see the WG basket through the window. So, if there is one thing that is certain, it needs metal underneath the stone, preferably rose gold.

As for why yellow or rose instead of white, I think it's really more of a "white metal" isn't going to do anything to enhance the color kind of thing. Because the sapphire color is so warm, a cold color metal would probably bring more contrast, but it could also make the stone's color look more brown or drab or less than how awesome it looks in yellow and rose. Peach and gray look nice together, but it's just not the look I'd want to go for this stone. TGal's pad looked wonderful in white metal, as did LTP's.

One thing I will say is that I am really super conservative when it comes to using rose gold, and I tend to love monochromatic pieces - white metal tends to be my fall back if the stone doesn't look the way I want it in yellow or rose gold, but sometimes, like with grays, white metal is where it's at. Like for my new gray that I haven't posted yet - that baby needs platinum.

I'm sure that there is a more eloquent way to put it, but it's been a long time since I've taken an art class (10 years since the last one having to do with color) and my words are failing me right now.

I don't remember where I saved it from, but it's beautiful, eh? Could probably do a google image search and find out though!

pad_sapphire2.jpg

tgal_s_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first setting best; I think a scalloped halo shaped for an oval will look fabulous.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono said:
I like the first setting best; I think a scalloped halo shaped for an oval will look fabulous.

Ditto, I love the latter settings you posted, but your stone gets more justice done by the scalloped halo!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely, positively love it. Do you like E/W ovals?

I'd lean towards YG for this one--I think that white metal might be a little cold, though I've seen it done well too. I would at least frame the ring with the YG head. I love scalloped halos. Would you go for a double scalloped halo?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Not a "Pad: fan yet(it is not orange enough nor pink enough for me). But for Pad, definitely rose gold, I think once you close the window with a rose gold, it will look delicious. :lickout:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you probably would anyway, Freke, since you are so good about it photos, but if you take it to your jewelers and try different metal colors, can you take at least one pic of the stone with each metal color? Notwithstanding your excellent explanation, I really have it stuck in my head that the white gold would make it pop. I think its one of those things where I'll have to see it to understand it, y'know?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1383570931|3550027 said:
What color metal Chrono?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mico|1383575676|3550065 said:
Chrono said:

Ditto, I love the latter settings you posted, but your stone gets more justice done by the scalloped halo!
Guess I need to find one, eh?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1383578568|3550091 said:
I absolutely, positively love it. Do you like E/W ovals?

I'd lean towards YG for this one--I think that white metal might be a little cold, though I've seen it done well too. I would at least frame the ring with the YG head. I love scalloped halos. Would you go for a double scalloped halo?
I've only ever had one E/W ovals. I find ovals hard in general, I'm really picky about the shape and the cut, having seen and owned so many. To give you an idea, I think I only own two now - this any my periwinkle spinel.

Double scalloped halo seems like a lot of finger real estate! Have you seen any pics of such a thing? I think I'll poke around with metal color, perhaps tomorrow if my little one naps well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
eastjavaman|1383579405|3550100 said:
Not a "Pad: fan yet(it is not orange enough nor pink enough for me). But for Pad, definitely rose gold, I think once you close the window with a rose gold, it will look delicious. :lickout:
It "toes the line" between pink and orange. In certain lights I think this one is more pink, and in others, more orange.

My fingers are crossed that the setting helps with the stone! Thank you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1383608918|3550463 said:
I know you probably would anyway, Freke, since you are so good about it photos, but if you take it to your jewelers and try different metal colors, can you take at least one pic of the stone with each metal color? Notwithstanding your excellent explanation, I really have it stuck in my head that the white gold would make it pop. I think its one of those things where I'll have to see it to understand it, y'know?
I don't think it'd be BAD in white gold. My preference for this stone is just for a warmer metal in a more monochrome look! But I'll take pics just for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results