shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Sapphire Engagement Ring

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
Was wanting an opinion on whether the ring I am interested in is a good buy or am I going to greatly over pay. It is from NSC, which I see from the forums is not a "welcomed nor loved" site. Although, they do have lots of great reviews from their customers. I have read some that are not so. Before I buy I do plan to request a look at the actual stone and a 3D wax replica of the ring setting.

Here is the stone:
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-50972-oval-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2374/

Here is the setting:
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/sapphire-settings/c-24-ring-settings/p-42540-14k-white-gold-ring-setting-js46w14/

I love the stone and the setting is what I believe will make the stone look the best. The negative reviews I've noticed has not really been on the actual stone, its the setting. Should I just get the stone and find a really good/reputable jeweler for the setting? Also, palladium seems appealing due to its durability, but will this really devalue the ring? I am not well experienced in jewelery purchasing.

I've requested NSC to send me a pic of the interested setting and stone combined and have included it. They were very prompt in the turn around. Requested evening before and in the morning it was there waiting. With a detailed email and break down on what to expect. So far a good experience and their website is very user friendly compared to other sites.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

pa2374_js46w18.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty stone. Are you ok with brown modifier? I am not as color sensitive as some but I know that sometimes after living with a stone for awhile, brown and gray tones can start to irk me if I did not purchase the stone knowing they would make a frequent appearance.

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
Yes, I am perfectly fine with that. I am a geologist and all minerals, gems, rocks are loved by me. I just don't think I can live with myself and have a diamond center. I also like having things that don't scream everybody has it. I like the way the stone is not just one color. I myself normally am drawn to blue sapphires, but seeing the padparadscha colors struck an interest.

Curious on the opinion of having this set in a rose gold?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like rose gold. I don't know if I would want it forever, but it would certainly highlight the peachy pink tones of the sapphire. It would look nice in 18k rose gold.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
nrs061000|1386391439|3569315 said:
Yes, I am perfectly fine with that. I am a geologist and all minerals, gems, rocks are loved by me. I just don't think I can live with myself and have a diamond center. I also like having things that don't scream everybody has it. I like the way the stone is not just one color. I myself normally am drawn to blue sapphires, but seeing the padparadscha colors struck an interest.

Curious on the opinion of having this set in a rose gold?

Geologist? Cool! :appl: :appl: We are going to need some gemstone/geology insights from you, little missy :D

Can you return a set stone to NSC if you don't like it? I'm not clear on their policy. I would get the stone first, look at it and decide before having it set. Some pads can be very washed out in real life.

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
According to their website and the email I received from them...you can request the stone(s) from NSC, they overnight it/them to you UPS requested signature. They have your credit card info and they have a hold on your card, but not a charge. You have 5 days to look at it/them and send it/them back. If you like something I assume keep it and they will charge you. Or if you like it they can set it for you in one of their settings. I believe once it is set they will not refund if it is a custom ring. If it is one of their already designed rings then you can. So, in my case no, but that is why I would request the stone to look at first.

Also, yes I think the rose color would look beautiful and bring out certain colors of the stone, but I do have to agree that I don't know if I would like that long term.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What you could do is have the basket holding the stone to be rose gold and the rest of the ring rose gold. The color of this particular pad is quite brown, and the stone has a significant window in it (you can see through the stone to what's underneath). NSC has a terrible reputation here on PS, but some are staunch supporters because they've had good experiences. They often photoshop their stone's images, and the cut quality of their stock is sub-par, BUT you get a natural stone.

It just depends on what you're looking for!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't buy from the NSC. I had an awful experience with them a few years ago. There actually isn't a single other vendor/gem site that I would say a blanket "no" to, but for the NSC, I would say no. I think you can do better for money you'd be spending there, and also find a less expensive sapphire if you are ok with a brown modifier. It will likely still be hard to find a pad, but, I think you can definitely do better.

I'd buy http://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/gorgeous-rare-padparadscha-sapphire-diamond-ring-14kwg-2.53-ctw,, or keep looking.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The window in that stone would drive me crazy. Good idea to take a look at it & see what it's like in hand. Hope it works out for you. I would definitely find a setting somewhere else -- that design or similar is available many places; take a look at the Vendor list at the top of this forum, under "settings vendors."

Let us know what you think of it. I LOVE that you're a geologist! Fascinating field. I have a college course in geology on dvd that I'm just about to start -- wish I'd done it 30 yrs ago.

--- Laurie

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
Thank all of you for your advice and opinions. Yes, because of looking at a lot of forums on PS I am very leery of NSC. I understand that I will be getting a natural stone but I don't want to over pay if the quality isn't there.

Yes I am a geologist, but am a younger one...The field of geology your not experienced until you have 15-20+ years :)

How can you tell from a photo if there is a big window? In person one could easily or even a photo of the stone in a hand etc. But how do you from a photo with a white background?

Indy, I do think the ring on SS is pretty, but it doesn't make me feel that it is the one. I'm not in a huge rush and can keep looking. I really love to have a stone that is beautiful & striking yet be unique. I can be quite picky and will wait until I find exactly what I want. Does the sapphire lose value since it's been treated with heat? I know for example an amethyst quartz holds better value lots of times over a citrine quartz, since in order to get a citrine the quartz is heat treated.

I do however have a co-worker whose side job is mineral/rock dealer. He gets pieces all over the world. I have volunteered several times when he gets a huge shipment and has a show. You should see some of the beautiful pieces of various quartz, fossils, tourmaline, etc he brings in and I have bought a few pieces...Though these are major pieces i.e. amethyst tubes people buy as decorations in their homes. I know how to pick a good piece from a rock store or from him, but the whole GEMSTONE route is entirely different. I think I will talk to him to see if he deals with gemstones or knows someone he trusts. I have worked with my co-worker for 7 years and trust his advice.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See that "dead" spot in the middle of the stone? Kind of gives it a fish eye effect? That's the window aka native cut. It is not at all unusual especially for pads because they are cut to maintain carat weight. This usually means cut is compromised because the stone is shallow. However I will always go for a fabulous color over precision cut... and I think for the price you could do better. Have you considered pinkish orange spinels by chance?

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
No I haven't. I will look into that. I am just starting at this honestly. I just know that I really really don't want a diamond center. I am fine with diamond accents. I also don't want a ring that looks cheap or costumey either.

Is there a site you recommend for me to look at spinels? I am not really experienced in them. I have from time to time seen them mentioned in some of the forums I am reading.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Windows. If the stone's bottom facets do not reflect light back to your eye, it likely has a window. It's a function of non-precision cutting. A window can be created when the stone is: too shallow, too deep, or the stone has been cut at the wrong angles for it's refractive index.

Here is a good example of two stones - right has a window, left does not.

There are other cutting problems that exist, but windows are definitely one that most around here do not forgive.

window_tutorial.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
nrs061000|1386443435|3569589 said:
No I haven't. I will look into that. I am just starting at this honestly. I just know that I really really don't want a diamond center. I am fine with diamond accents. I also don't want a ring that looks cheap or costumey either.

Is there a site you recommend for me to look at spinels? I am not really experienced in them. I have from time to time seen them mentioned in some of the forums I am reading.
Do you have a favorite color? What exactly do you want from your engagement ring? Do you want a particular color, shape, size, etc?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nrs061000|1386443435|3569589 said:

I ask because you seem in love with the color but not fixated on the name "padparadscha." That is a good thing. I'm not trying to bash NSC because I have never dealt with them personally, but some of those "pads" are like huh? What? :confused: I think you could get a very nicely sized pink/orange spinel for a nice price. Gemfix and Finewater Gems come to mind right away but there are many more stickied on the front page of CS. I also like the cutting produced by those two vendors.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You're starting out with a wonderful attitude, willing to wait & take time to figure out what you want & how to find good quality. So many people who ask for help want the ring in about 3 weeks, lol. Gems are so complex but you're in above the ground floor, knowing geology. At the top of the page for this forum is a thread, "New to Gem Buying?" that has a lot of helpful info -- take a look at that, and then go through the list of Recommended Vendors, also stickied at the top of the page. You'll find a wide variety of gem types, colors, cuts, prices, and something might jump out & say it's the type you have to have.

Wanting something other than a diamond center stone gives you so many choices -- and fun find them. You can do much better than the stone you linked to -- not only is it windowed, but the cut isn't symmetric & even the areas un-windowed will not return light well.

There's another website with the word "Gemology" in its name that could interest & inform you too. Are you near any gem shows? That is really the very best way to see rough & cut stones & pick the brains of vendors. I'd give my right arm to be able to go to about one per week.

You might find that pinky/orangey color is what you want. You can find it in spinels as well as sapphires, and not good for everday wear: tourmalines, even the (very) occasional zircon. Enjoy the hunt!

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input. I will research if there are any gem shows coming into the area. I live in Texas so there is always something coming through. I don't need the ring at this exact moment but I don't want to wait a year to get it either.

As for size I have a small hand (5'3" in height) so I don't want something gaudy or one that says look at me I have a rich hubby, etc. lol. As colors are concerned I love blue and am not a pink person at all, which why I was surprised myself when I saw that Pad and was like I really like the color. I guess maybe because it was pink/orange/brown and lighter and it would go with everything and in a few years I wouldn't grow tired of it. I myself am a really simple person and use some jewelery/accessories as a way to express the leo in me. But I don't want it to scream what were you thinking anyway. I guess I would like a ring that I could look at and others would look at and be wow that looks beautiful, not too over the top and I could see myself wearing that. It will be my wedding ring after all and something I hope to cherish for a very long time.

Cuts I prefer ovals/cushion/radiant cuts. Metals a white gold or palladium.

Someone I know suggested Costco? Is that insane or could one actually get a nice ring from them? I am not one to pay 2-3 times as much for it to say Tiffany's.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1386399606|3569383 said:
They often photoshop their stone's images

Photoshopping can be essential to return the image to what you know to be more accurate.
There is nothing sacred about the direct output of a camera.
In fact, most images from the best cameras with the best lighting still need correction using a program like Photoshop to make them more faithful to the stone.

Photoshop is just a tool like a car or a phone.
Tools can be used for good or evil.

Please everyone ... add something like this to your photoshop-warning statements in the future … "This vendor uses photoshop in a dishonest way to try to make their stones look better in pics than they look in person."

Thanks.

I'm certainly not defending NSC, just the use of photoshop for honest purposes.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was pretty clear to me what Freke meant and I personally find a preamble as you describe unnecessary - but that's me. :))

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok seriously most of the ''padparadscha'' sapphires on that website are definitely not padparadscha ,they have in house certs wtf

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1386464634|3569786 said:
FrekeChild|1386399606|3569383 said:
They often photoshop their stone's images

Photoshopping can be essential to return the image to what you know to be more accurate.
There is nothing sacred about the direct output of a camera.
In fact, most images from the best cameras with the best lighting still need correction using a program like Photoshop to make them more faithful to the stone.

Photoshop is just a tool like a car or a phone.
Tools can be used for good or evil.

Please everyone ... add something like this to your photoshop-warning statements in the future … "This vendor uses photoshop in a dishonest way to try to make their stones look better in pics than they look in person."

Thanks.

I'm certainly not defending NSC, just the use of photoshop for honest purposes.
I think that most posters around here would know, not only what I'm saying by reading between the lines, but also remember the specific threads in which NSC's less than pleasant photoshopping reputation came to light, and even worse, their response to PSers concerns about said photoshopping. But, heavens to Betsy, lets all make sure to clarify what we mean every time we post something about vendors photoshopping!

I think I'll leave it up to you to come correct me every time. It'll give you something to do. :wacko:

People and photoshopping jobs VARY.

Thanks!

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
Freke...I knew what you meant and did not take anything personal (aka bashing) at all. I appreciate the lookout. I know some use photoshop for good and others for bad. Which is why I am on here asking for help. I have been reading other forums and have heard this mentioned before.

Molly, yes that is a very lovely stone and ring. I have looked at some spinels on sites in the vendor info or sites that others have suggested, and every time I see something I like it's sold...lol. Maybe I will email them and ask if they have something they haven't post yet or ask them if they are looking what I am willing to buy.

Indy, that is a lovely sapphire, question does the value decrease if it's heat treated? Also, is it the camera that gives that bright band through the middle?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, heat treated means that the stone will be a lower price.

I expect that the reason you see a lighter band across the middle is because of the color zoning mentioned in the ad. It'd probably be worth asking her if you are interested in it.

There are some vendors who use photoshop for good (lol! But I believe Gene Flanigan does, to correct the color to make it what he sees in real life) and vendors who use it for bad (lots and lots and lots of ebay vendors who manipulate the stones into being better than what they look like in person, or NSC who manipulated photos because they are lazy and don't want to photograph each gem, I believe) but we're pretty well versed in who sells stuff that is as good or better than the pictures, and who sells stuff that is worse than the photos. So feel free to ask any and all questions you can think of!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
nrs061000|1386558218|3570261 said:
Indy, that is a lovely sapphire, question does the value decrease if it's heat treated?

Unheated sapphires are rare and therefore more expensive, but I just wanted to point out that the sapphire on diamondbistro comes with an AGL report confirming it is a padparadscha, which is also rare and would typically make it more valuable than a stone that does not have such a report. If a sapphire has any brown in it at all, AGL will not call it a pad. Many vendors including NSC use the term padparadscha loosely in describing the color of stones, but as previous posters have noted, if you are interested in a true pad for its rarity and value you will want one that comes with an AGL report, and not pay a premium for a pad sapphire unless it comes with one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-50972-oval-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2374/
There are good things and not so good things about this sapphire and if interested, I would request 2 very important things first.
1. See the sapphire in person to make sure the colour and cut is acceptable to you aka what you want.
2. If you still love it after seeing it in person, have the sale contingent upon either a GIA or AGL lab memo verifying that the stone is unheated and deemed a padparadscha since you are paying the price of an unheated padparadscha sapphire.
3. The sale or discount offered makes pricing more reasonable.

The bad? The cut is quite poor. It is a shallow stone which they understandably tried to do their best to preserve both the colour and material.

natural_sapphire_oval_padparadscha_pa2374_1-full.jpg

natural_sapphire_oval_padparadscha_pa2374_2-full.jpg

natural_sapphire_oval_padparadscha_pa2374_3-full.jpg

nrs061000

Rough_Rock
Thank you Chrono for the more in depth description of the stone. Thank you Carmen for pointing out the lab report and I'll make sure whenever I do decide on a stone to request if a lab report was made.

What vendors do you suggest that make beautiful engagement rings with gemstones?

Jeff Davies seems like he does beautiful work...what others? There seem to be sites with just the stone but I would like to see some that have been set. I appreciate the art that some jeweleries put into the setting.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For settings, I've liked the settings online that I've seen from ERD (nice halos). There is a thread I started with ERD setting pictures, and I am currently working with them on a setting:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-erd-brilliantly-engaged-thread.192763/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-erd-brilliantly-engaged-thread.192763/[/URL]

For hand forged settings, I like those of Victora Canera (West Coast) and Steven Kirsch (East Coast). Hand forged is much more expensive than cast.

For detailed and antique/vintage settings, I like those of Single Stone and Green Lake. SN Queens also has nice work.

You can do a search on these vendors to see their styles. Some links are here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results