shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on a sleepy mahenge

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Can I get some opinions on a sleepy spinel? i've watched this video several times and i honestly don't know if i love it or am apathetic about it. i like unusual stones and i could write off the zoning as 'special' if this were a bright stone. i know that sleepy stones aren't for everyone but i do love them. i guess i'm trying to ask is if you guys think this is a bright or a blah stone based on the video.

http://vimeo.com/59888694

ps. 'bright' in a 'sleepy mahenge spinel' way. that sounds like a contradiction but i think you know what i mean.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a big one for "sleepy" so I'll disclose that to start with. But I don't like stones that look filled with gas or look filmy and that one does to me. To me, the excellent sleepy stones are those that have such microscopic inclusions that while they are present, it reads to your eyes like a light is on within - like with the glow of an emerald, a fanta spessartite, or a Mahenge spinel. The one thing these stones have in common is that good ones all have vivid saturation. So, comparing one of those to the stone on the video, the stone on the video is nowhere close to one of these sleepy stones; it is not highly saturated and just looks filmy or soapy. Sorry.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If you are not sure you are apathetic about it, I think it's better to save your money for something you're excited about. I looked at the stone, but I think all that matters is if you like it. If you want to post the price, people can tell you if it's reasonable.

If it's very inexpensive, you might want to buy it just to see a sleepy stone like that in hand. I think It will be very difficult to resell.

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
I agree with pregcurious, if you love it, you can save money for it, only when you have it can you be eligible to say whether it worth it or not. Anyway you can try it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you aren't feeling crazy about it, don't get it. Here, let me help dissuade you. :devil:
1. Overly deep, so you are paying for weight you cannot see.
2. 2 large splotches of orange colouration that stand out
3. Looks like it has a film of soap covering that cannot be removed.
4. It'll be a difficult sell as a pre-loved stone.
5. This vendor uses strong lighting in their videos so expect the stone to be lighter and less saturated in person.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks everyone! Just FYI the price on it isnt bad ($320). i appreciate the input. based on feedback and esp if the stone isnt represented accurately, i dont think this will be a keeper.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
just to put it out there, what i am really hoping to find one day is something like this;

sleepy_spinel2.jpg

sleepy_spinel.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Shushinator|1361317816|3384826 said:
just to put it out there, what i am really hoping to find one day is something like this;

Lol, I remember seeing that one, too. Still regret not getting it, and I don't even like sleepy stones....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That was on Dana's website wasn't it? I find that stone fascinating and I'm absolutely convinced it had very very very strong fluor which is why it looks blue/oily in the bottom photo. I love it because it's quirky but then fluor grabs me every time. I don't know who bought that but I wish they'd report back on it!

Have you ever owned a sleepy gemstone? Like Minou, the one thing I can't tolerate is the sleepy look. I remember the first one I bought and I kept trying to clean it to make it look less sleepy! Clearly that didn't work but it's a look that bugs me. Having said that, if you love it (and some gems look great with this phenomena) then at that price it might be worth looking at. I think David's videos are much more representational than his photos so it probably won't be too much different from the video. At $320 if it dents your buying power then don't buy it. If you can put it on a card and not worry then go for it!

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
LD|1361318622|3384845 said:

That was on Dana's website wasn't it? I find that stone fascinating and I'm absolutely convinced it had very very very strong fluor which is why it looks blue/oily in the bottom photo. I love it because it's quirky but then fluor grabs me every time. I don't know who bought that but I wish they'd report back on it!

Have you ever owned a sleepy gemstone? Like Minou, the one thing I can't tolerate is the sleepy look. I remember the first one I bought and I kept trying to clean it to make it look less sleepy! Clearly that didn't work but it's a look that bugs me. Having said that, if you love it (and some gems look great with this phenomena) then at that price it might be worth looking at. I think David's videos are much more representational than his photos so it probably won't be too much different from the video. At $320 if it dents your buying power then don't buy it. If you can put it on a card and not worry then go for it!

yes it was on Dana's site. I usually check her out frequently and kick myself for missing that one. But i think like myself and blingbunny10, few Ps'ers did over that stone :). I hope whoever bought it posts some pics on it too.

I do have a sleepy mahenge, red with slightly orange undertones. looks ruby-ish and i love the glow and the little internal sparkles... im going to take a look at David's stone. Will post pics if i keep it.

the other sleepy stone i wish i knew what happened to is this one from swala. In an antique three stone tiffany co. setting i think this would absolutely rock. Again, i know it looks like one of those salmon eggs you fish with, but im totally obsessed with it. :love:

product_0.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana's a guy. ;-)

I like the stone, personally. I only have one sleepy stone currently, and it's also red with orange undertones (from MC), but I like it, maybe in part because it's different than my other stones. Let us know what you think of this one IRL!

I often drool over that Swala picture, too. I posted that pic in another thread, and VL described it as "disturbingly nice". :lol:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana is a man! ;-)

I find Swala's photos always show a much more vivid stone so put that one behind you and don't worry about it! Does that make you feel better? :D

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
LD|1361320853|3384885 said:
Dana is a man! ;-)

I find Swala's photos always show a much more vivid stone so put that one behind you and don't worry about it! Does that make you feel better? :D

:lol: oops. i actually know Dana is a guy. I dont know why I 'her'd' him. Must be subconscious because i know a 'her-Dana'. Sorry Dana.

i will try to put the swala stone behind me.. :cry:

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Got it. I ordered three spinels from multicolour. One was accurately represented in the photo and video, one was over represented (very much a purple stone rather than the cherry red it appeared to be in the photos.), and the sleepy spinel was under represented. I was absolutely shocked to see how gorgeous the sleepy spinel is in person.

If id seen it at a gem show, i might have thought Rhodochrosite before spinel. It is the most neon stone i have ever seen in person. It looks like a super hot pink rhodochrosite but with sharper brilliant flashes. In most light, even low light, it is as lively as any other CS I own--pure neon fire. In the absolute flattest low light it looks like pink chalcedony with some good sparkle.

In short, im amazed that this is the same stone in the pics. Ill post some pics when I get a chance.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Wow-- excited you got a gorgeous spinel! :) Can't wait to see the pics!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant news. I'm so pleased you went for it. At that price it would have been rude not to! :lol: I'm really curious at the sleepiness - I bet it's not as sleepy as the photo suggest and looks more like the video - am I right?????

ededdeddy

Rough_Rock
blingbunny10|1361318083|3384832 said:

Lol, I remember seeing that one, too. Still regret not getting it, and I don't even like sleepy stones....

Dana ended up having to refund 12 people on that stone after it was posted on the "SOMEONE'S GOTTA BUY THIS STONE" thread.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
so yes way more like the video but way more neony pink. the video gave it a dull waxy look and the closest it comes to being that dull is when it flattens out in bad light, but it is still bright neon pink, the first attached a pick is dreary incandescent light (my closet). the second is natural light in heavy overcast.

Dana should have put that baby up for auction :)

ssdarkincand.jpg

ssoercast.jpg

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Fun stone esp for the price. Would make a fun rhr surrounded by black diamonds or something.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! It doesn't look sleepy at all! :appl: Does it have silk or is it clean?

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Defiantly has silk, but in most lighting it doesn't affect the see-across-the-room scintillation. the other sleepy stone i have has the inner glow but none of the flash this one shows. The orange zoning is hard to find unless you try to find it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ededdeddy|1361563986|3387885 said:
blingbunny10|1361318083|3384832 said:

Dana ended up having to refund 12 people on that stone after it was posted on the "SOMEONE'S GOTTA BUY THIS STONE" thread.

Whoops, sorry Dana! Never thought it would backfire on the vendor like that. Eeep. :???:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, a wee bit jelly over here!! :wavey:

Great score! I think it kinda looks like the Swala pic! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results