shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie would love advice on Emerald Purchase

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum but would really love some advice on purchasing an Emerald. I am getting my diamond solitaire engagement ring remodelled for my anniversary and am going for a crossover style. Since I have dreamed about an Emerald ring for so long, it is going to include an emerald. I have looked around online but not sure who is reliable or not. One company I was greatly taken with was www.embassyemeralds.com,,,, have found them very helpful and informative so far. I have narrowed my search down to a few from this website but would love your opinions. I haven't got a huge budget ($1500) and am looking for an emerald between .5ct-1ct and as deep a colour as I can get for the money. Here as follows are the ones I was looking at;
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=451
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=512

This last one is my absolute favourite. Firstly it is untreated, secondly I love the colour and thirdly I love cushion cut. I think this one has lots of character and is at the very top of my budget so really need to know is it worth it.
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=511
I would really value your opinion on these and also what are the type of questions I should be asking the dealer.
Thanks for your time,
Fiona

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I can't comment on the vendor, the cut of the gem or the certification as I don't know enough, so you'll have to wait for an emerald expert to chime in.

I would say that I like your favorite pick best too for several reasons. I know it's really hard to get untreated emeralds. Cushion cuts are not common with emeralds and it's got that lovely bluish-green glow that I always associate with Colombian emeralds. Would they send you a outdoor hand shot if you asked for it? And do they have a good return policy?

As for value, maybe you can compare them with these to get an idea?

http://www.gemfix.com/emerald.html
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9365
http://www.africagems.com/emerald.html

Emeralds are so subjective, it's in the eye of the beholder really :) But I think the one you picked is very beautiful.

Edited to add: if you use the search on this forum, you'll find threads that mention Embassy Emeralds. Hope that helps.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Peacechick,
Thank you so much for your advice, I really am a novice when it comes to this but just want to make the best choice for the budget I have. Will def ask about getting an outside shot, thanks. I really love this one but just wanted to get opinions from people who know what they are at.
Thanks again,
Fiona

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
This might also be interesting to you (the seller is a PSer) as the emerald is a 1.10 ct Muzo cushion cut and looks eye-clean. For the price, you could have an emerald for your upgrade and a vintage setting to find a new stone for :naughty: ...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/antique-vintage-18kt-blue-green-emerald-diamond-bypass-ring-t189793.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/antique-vintage-18kt-blue-green-emerald-diamond-bypass-ring-t189793.html[/URL]

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again Peacechick,
Have posted a reply to that link, the emerald in that ring looks fab!
Thanks for all your help. My jeweller is away on holidays and has asked me not to purchase anything until she is back. I am itching to get started, meeting her on Thursday so can get her opinion too.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Scarlett,

Please be careful about the ring in Pre-owned. There is no verification on what the seller is saying. Embassy emeralds is a dealer that some on PS have dealt with before. That person only has 20 posts, so I would not call him long standing PS member. I have a ring with that color emerald, which fools many people, but is only glass. You need some verification that its real and what it says it is.

Frankly, if you sold something with only 4 posts I would say the same thing. Please be careful!

Annette

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Annette,
I know your right, my jeweller is terrified I'll buy something without consultation for the same reason. I know Garrett from Embassy Emeralds is providing a certificate from the CDTEC gem lab so maybe would be wiser. Thanks for advice,I appreciate it.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, have just done a search here on embassy emeralds and they seem to have a good reputation with several members. Have emailed them to ask for some more photo's of the third stone. Should I put a deposit on it or wait until I check with jeweller on Thu. Afraid it will be gone if I leave it. Can't wait to get my new ring underway and greatly value all opinions on this stone.
Thanks again from an anxious newbie.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
peacechick|1370967797|3463453 said:
This might also be interesting to you (the seller is a PSer) as the emerald is a 1.10 ct Muzo cushion cut and looks eye-clean. For the price, you could have an emerald for your upgrade and a vintage setting to find a new stone for :naughty: ...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/antique-vintage-18kt-blue-green-emerald-diamond-bypass-ring-t189793.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/antique-vintage-18kt-blue-green-emerald-diamond-bypass-ring-t189793.html[/URL]

I saw this and had to jump in! Please be careful when buying from private parties. If you seriously consider it, make sure you make the sale contingent upon a lab report. While this seller bought it thinking it was an emerald, in the absence of a lab report from a reputable lab, there is no guarantee that it is real and minimally treated.

As to the others, please note that the Gemfix stones have been considerably treated. The Litnon stone looks to be foggy on one side which would drive me batty. I did not look at Africagems as I find them a bit pricey.

Of the three you've chosen, I too like your favorite. However, I would want more info on the inclusions and how visible they are. :))

ETA: Whoops, I see Annette beat me to my cautions! If I were in the market for an emerald, the first place I would go is Embassy.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Scarlett, I apologize for saying the seller was a PSer, I wasn't thinking. Now that I read his other posts, there are a lot of question marks. I should also have said that most preloved sales are no returns so you have to be sure what you are buying. Glad you didn't do anything on impulse! I shall be more careful with my words now.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd put a deposit down to hold it.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the warning minousbijoux,
minousbijoux|1370975918|3463551 said:
Of the three you've chosen, I too like your favorite. However, I would want more info on the inclusions and how visible they are. :))

ETA: Whoops, I see Annette beat me to my cautions! If I were in the market for an emerald, the first place I would go is Embassy.
and I appreciate your advice.
Peacechick, not to worry, I am very impulsive by nature but with this kind of purchase I need to take a step back, I do appreciate your help and advice :twirl:

CollectorExpress

Rough_Rock
Minousbijoux .......I had to jump in here .I find it quite a bit hypocritical that you would recommend a lab report when You do not use a lab report when selling your stones yourself.

I have a certain pride in my collection and I would never sell junk to anybody .My ring has also an appraisal that comes with it .
I have had it for a few years and never had to oil it .
I had also mentioned that there are very few inclusions in it and very minimal signs of wear since its an antique and the color looks just like that

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-4182

My two cents.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Big difference between a $1150 emerald and diamond ring and loose spinels, garnets and other gems originally from reputable sellers.

I recently sold an emerald of decent color that was most assuredly natural, for less than $50 because I didn't know treatments on it. It also had a chip, but that could have been covered up by a prong. In the gemstone business, someone giving their word can mean a lot or very little. Depends on reputation.

CollectorExpress

Rough_Rock
I bought mine for 1400$ ( never wore the ring ) from a reputable seller and I also have an appraisal on it .This is a rare vintage ring in its original form.

I also took it to a Gemologist who confirmed that the information was correct .He was very impressed by the color .

There are emeralds that are not even worth 1 $ per carat and this is not one of them .

I understand that there is a conflict of interest between different sellers here so it can be tempting to attack or raise doubts about other sellers products.

I for one don't subscribe to that kind of behavior but that is just me :+)

CollectorExpress

Rough_Rock
What makes you the better judge of what people are selling on this website hen you have no clue about what they are selling ?

Whether one is a newbie or whether someone runs his/her mouth every day to accumulate 100 000 messages on this website because he/she doesn't have a life does not excuse her or anybody else for that matter from judging a product based on someone being a newbie on this forum and certainly does not excuse her from judging another seller based on the fact that he or she is a private seller .

Wasn't she a private seller herself when she attempted to sell her products ? Didn't she attempt to sell untreated sapphires for 850$ without any kind of certificate or appraisal ?

You judge me I judge you simple and I will also be glad to return the favor every time you try to sell anything without any kind of proper certification.

This forum is becoming more like a weird sect of arrogant and entitled regulars who just feel the need to shove everyone else aside.
I am sorry but I find the hypocrisy disgusting .

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

collectorexpress you've taken the comments here as a personal attack which i dont think they were. its simply a reminder that you don't know what something is without a lab report. and that anyone can get stung when making bigger purchases. its not a personal attack on you or your credibility.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Really sorry,
I didn't mean for this to turn into an argument about sellers on the site, just looking for info as I have never bought a stone before and it is the first ring project I've ever done. Sorry again.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
hippi_pixi said:

collectorexpress you've taken the comments here as a personal attack which i dont think they were. its simply a reminder that you don't know what something is without a lab report. and that anyone can get stung when making bigger purchases. its not a personal attack on you or your credibility.

Ditto.

Collector Express, Woah. Saying that Freke has no life or calling Minou hypocritical is going a tad bit too far. :errrr: :errrr: She just gave an example of how emeralds without documentation can go for very little. She personally took a hit. Please also think about how you are perceived by people who frequent this website who know each other and whether they would consider you as a preloved vendor after this dialogue for your own sake.

Without further paperwork, your emerald also doesn't have much veracity even though there is verbal approval from a gemologist and you have an appraisal.

BTW an appraisal means nothing in the jewelry world. It's usually highly inflated. In addition, who you think is a reputable vendor may not be a reputable vendor to other people. Unless you state who the vendor is, and let people judge who it is,

I also believe Minou gave full disclosure that she didn't know whether the sapphires were pads and such and priced accordingly. I believe that package had 5 sapphires and not one. That's truly quite a deal. She didn't try to hookwink anybody and probably would had been open to negotiating with the seller based on lab work.

You may have pride in your own products but unless you give evidence of quality, it's fair for us to be skeptical. That's what a lot of PS is about. Being informed and how not to be tricked into overpaying for items. (BTW not saying that your ring is overpriced. I have no idea).

Let's all be friends. After all, we're all trying to help each other make smarter purchases whether from each other or from professional vendors. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Good luck with your sale!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Scarlett1 said:
Really sorry,
I didn't mean for this to turn into an argument about sellers on the site, just looking for info as I have never bought a stone before and it is the first ring project I've ever done. Sorry again.

Oh Scarlett, I'm so sorry that your thread has turned into this. :errrr: :errrr: Please don't be scared of starting threads or trying to learn more. Most of us are really friendly people who are just trying to help you!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Minou gave solid advice. Advice that would be given REGARDLESS of the seller on this forum. I don't think this thread is the place for this conversation.

Scarlett - if you don't care about treatment, then buying from a private party is just fine. If you want full disclosure on treatments, I'd suggest a reputable vendor such as Embassy.

Good luck and make sure you come back with what you find!

Edited for spelling.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
royalstarrynight|1371050683|3464188 said:
Scarlett1 said:
Really sorry,

Oh Scarlett, I'm so sorry that your thread has turned into this. :errrr: :errrr: Please don't be scared of starting threads or trying to learn more. Most of us are really friendly people who are just trying to help you!

Scarlett: I agree with what the others have said! Please don't be scared away! This is your thread and your search. We love to help and that is largely why this forum exists! We would love to help you in the hopes that with a happy conclusion, you end up with an awesome stone and we get more beautiful gem photos to oggle! :naughty: :naughty: :bigsmile:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. There is no conflict of interest here. No one else here is trying to sell an emerald. No one is allowed to promote their "product" anywhere else in the forum except in the pre-loved area, in their designated threads. No one is attacking your ring either, Pricescope was founded on having as much information as possible to be able to make educated decisions. Certification from an independent lab is regular advice around here and no slight against you or your item.

2. Personal attacks are not allowed on Pricescope. I will be the first person to tell you, or anyone else that I spent almost every moment of my college classes on Pricescope, and as a result have an over-inflated post count. I do, actually, have a life, including an active toddler.

3. I actually consider Colored Stones to be one of the best forums at being welcoming and informative. There is always a new "recruit" over here from RT, who is looking for a birthstone or a push present, etc. There are a few regulars who know what they are talking about and regularly participate, minouxbijoux happens to be one of them. She also tends to be very good at being objective about every purchase, whether it's from Joe Smith on LoupeTroop, Jane Smith on ebay, Jeff White, Barry Bridgestock or whoever.

There is a saying here on Colored Stones, "Trust but Verify". That means on all stones, but especially the big three stones (blue sapphires, rubies and emeralds) we look for lab certification first because a buyer needs to know as much as possible to make an educated purchase. For the big three, it's especially important because treatments for all three have become so numerous and invasive, and because they have become so very expensive because of their popularity.

Scarlett, please put that emerald on hold - lurkers around here can snatch up stones when they see that lots of other people have "endorsed" it! And please don't be scared off of Colored Stones!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
K9|1371052203|3464216 said:
Minou gave solid advice. Advice that would be given REGARDLESS of the seller on this forum. I don't think this thread is the place for this conversation.

Scarlett - if you don't care about treatment, then buying from a private party is just fine. If you want full disclosure on treatments, I'd suggest a reputable vendor such as Embassy.

Good luck and make sure you come back with what you find!

Edited for spelling.

Just as an additional comment, it's ok if you don't care about treatment but make sure you know the implications and the market price for something treated or possibly treated and pay accordingly. :)

D

Deactivated member 42515

CollectorExpress, not only have you insulted two of our most respected PSers but you also made this thread about yourself. You made OP apologize for the drama you caused and may have even deterred her away from seeking any more advice. Everyone was giving quality information and you decided to chime in and cause a ruckus. I think thag apologies are in order to Minou and Freke and especially to the poor OP.

OP, please come back and stay. There are many here that would love to help you find the perfect emerald.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1371055891|3464264 said:
1. There is no conflict of interest here. No one else here is trying to sell an emerald. No one is allowed to promote their "product" anywhere else in the forum except in the pre-loved area, in their designated threads. No one is attacking your ring either, Pricescope was founded on having as much information as possible to be able to make educated decisions. Certification from an independent lab is regular advice around here and no slight against you or your item.

2. Personal attacks are not allowed on Pricescope. I will be the first person to tell you, or anyone else that I spent almost every moment of my college classes on Pricescope, and as a result have an over-inflated post count. I do, actually, have a life, including an active toddler.

3. I actually consider Colored Stones to be one of the best forums at being welcoming and informative. There is always a new "recruit" over here from RT, who is looking for a birthstone or a push present, etc. There are a few regulars who know what they are talking about and regularly participate, minouxbijoux happens to be one of them. She also tends to be very good at being objective about every purchase, whether it's from Joe Smith on LoupeTroop, Jane Smith on ebay, Jeff White, Barry Bridgestock or whoever.

There is a saying here on Colored Stones, "Trust but Verify". That means on all stones, but especially the big three stones (blue sapphires, rubies and emeralds) we look for lab certification first because a buyer needs to know as much as possible to make an educated purchase. For the big three, it's especially important because treatments for all three have become so numerous and invasive, and because they have become so very expensive because of their popularity.

Scarlett, please put that emerald on hold - lurkers around here can snatch up stones when they see that lots of other people have "endorsed" it! And please don't be scared off of Colored Stones!

Hey! I don't sell on ebay! Humph! :lol:

Scarlett1, I recently bought an emerald from Embassy Emeralds, and am very happy with it and the service I received. I would recommend them. You can see my gem on my SMTB thread about my little OMC. Just click on my name and search my threads.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1371067411|3464446 said:

Perfect, just perfect! :lol: :lol: :appl: :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
JaneSmith|1371067411|3464446 said:

LMAO! So sorry JS! Didn't even think about it. (I was originally going to put Billy Bob, but I decided against it.)

SB621

Ideal_Rock

+1 I think that is a very beautiful emerald. Goodluck on your first project! Please keep us updated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results