shape
carat
color
clarity

New spinel...

T

talamasca

Chrono|1334723526|3173961 said:
This one can be considered "old stock" as it sat in inventory for at least 6 years. It's a fairly large stone so I paid more for it. It is also a colour shifter. Grape purple indoors and violetish blue outdoors. Looks like PS is tamping down the colours again.

:love: oh my, this one is beautiful

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
@ Chrono: That is BREATHTAKING! That is the kind of spinel I'm hoping to one day find - wow!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kim Bruun|1334748316|3174059 said:
@ Chrono: That is BREATHTAKING! That is the kind of spinel I'm hoping to one day find - wow!
Ditto, Chrono! Oh droooool! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The person I purchased it from has recently retired from the trade. I don't know who is running his business now as I cannot imagine him just letting it vanish into nothingness. Thank you very much for the compliments. I did not post it to brag but as a question to find out if that is similar to what you are looking for. The pictures you showed are a lavender (purplish) colour yet from your posting, it seems like you are looking for purplish blue. Hmm...is lavender considered purplish blue? Guess I am pretty well confused now. :lol:

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1334749879|3174069 said:
The pictures you showed are a lavender (purplish) colour yet from your posting, it seems like you are looking for purplish blue. Hmm...is lavender considered purplish blue? Guess I am pretty well confused now. :lol:

I tend to fall for the bluish purples more than the reddish purples, but any saturated purple would interest me, so longer as it isn't greyish or bordering on fuchsia. Of course, we haven't even even begun to talk tone yet - but I'm not critical, just so long as it doesn't look inky or washed out.

Yours actually looks a bit like an amethyst in that one photo - with perhaps a secondary hue and strong colour shift that in't typical of amethyst.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, do you have anymore spinel pics? Those were awesome!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Kim Bruun|1334750595|3174073 said:
Chrono|1334749879|3174069 said:
The pictures you showed are a lavender (purplish) colour yet from your posting, it seems like you are looking for purplish blue. Hmm...is lavender considered purplish blue? Guess I am pretty well confused now. :lol:

I tend to fall for the bluish purples more than the reddish purples, but any saturated purple would interest me, so longer as it isn't greyish or bordering on fuchsia. Of course, we haven't even even begun to talk tone yet - but I'm not critical, just so long as it doesn't look inky or washed out.

Yours actually looks a bit like an amethyst in that one photo - with perhaps a secondary hue and strong colour shift that in't typical of amethyst.

So are you talking periwinkle? I bought a shifty/ periwinkle spinel from Dan Stair. Lavender inside periwinkle outside. Very sparkly.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono:

You have been holding out! Please show off more often! You have the single loveliest spinels I've seen in that color family! What else do you have hidden away? Please more piccies!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
TL|1334761598|3174185 said:
Lavender is defined as a "pale tint of violet"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_(color)

I love periwinkle blue stones too. Wiki defines it as "lavender blue."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periwinkle_(color)

Chrono has some lovely specimens.

Hmm I suppose mine is a cross between both. Figured I'd post it since we're talking lavender, purple, and periwinkle. I'm sure it has a bit of grey too but honestly not so much that I really notice it. Please excuse the red stone.

Chrono has great specimens. I agree.

spinelgarnet.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You're right chrono. PS does make the stones look lighter. Weird.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a periwinkle spinel...from Dan Stair. Its a hard color to find in a decent size.

ETA: looks more lavender in this pic....

IMG_0782 sized.jpg

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Purple with red as a secondary is certainly out there in an untreated Spinel.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawking my wares
Hi @zekeloftin,

If you are a trader you must have the Trade designation under your name.

You must also ask the PS Admin if you are permitted to post, I believe.

Either way, you cannot offer goods for sale or make offers to buy on this forum.

renwea

Shiny_Rock
D64088FE-E98E-44D1-8567-4AC896A4C694.JPG I bought this blue spinel from a PS member, who bought it from Barry. It has never looked grey. Is this the color you are looking for?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are after a purple Vietnamese spinel that colour shifts to blue, or a blue spinel that colour shifts to purple, not a lavender spinel and even most spinels labelled purple colour shift to that lighter duller greyish purple colour in certain lighting or a darker almost wine type reddish purple colour. I've also seen some great looking pink spinels that colour shift to a non grey looking lilac purple as well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one can be considered "old stock" as it sat in inventory for at least 6 years. It's a fairly large stone so I paid more for it. It is also a colour shifter. Grape purple indoors and violetish blue outdoors. Looks like PS is tamping down the colours again.

Purple Shift.jpg

Violetish Blue.jpg

LOVELY stone!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a periwinkle spinel...from Dan Stair. Its a hard color to find in a decent size.

ETA: looks more lavender in this pic....

IMG_0782 sized.jpg

You have all the best Spinels! Very nice.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D64088FE-E98E-44D1-8567-4AC896A4C694.JPG I bought this blue spinel from a PS member, who bought it from Barry. It has never looked grey. Is this the color you are looking for?

WOW great size and setting. Do you have a thread about it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results