shape
carat
color
clarity

New Demantoid Ring Project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

Hi everyone. It''s been awhile and I''ve missed you all!

For those of you who remember, I haven''t yet set my current demantoid yet. That may take a bit longer. However, I''ve embarked on another project, with Wink''s help. Over the next few months we''re going to be working on a demantoid 3-stone ring. Pala has sent Wink three demantoids that he thinks are gorgeous and well-matched. I should be receiving them on Tuesday. The center is a 6.2mm, 1.24 round, and the sidestones are 4.5mm each. The center is certainly larger than I was imagining, but I''m hoping it will still make a relatively dainty ring.

I''ll let you know when I receive the stones and hopefully get some pictures up. In the meantime, below is the ring design. Do you think the stones will work within this design? I''m hoping the sidestone to center stone proportion will be okay. I thought about reproducing this ring with sapphires (as pictured) or some other stones, but the demantoids called to me anyway!

15393a3_1.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hi Richard!

That''s actually one of the concerns. I''m only a 4.5.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
That's a whole lot of width for a size 4.5 finger to handle, Hest.

Try this to get an idea. You've got 6.2 + 9 mm, for a total stone width of 15.2 mm. The width of the ring will depend on how the stones are slanted/staggered, but with the ring structure pictured it's probably going to be at least 15 or 16 mm wide.

Spread a mm gauge to those widths and place it over your finger to get an idea.

Wink's good, and might have some ideas for handling this. Ask him what he thinks the width will end up being.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
wow...that sounds just divine...wow..
i don''t know what your idea of ''dainty'' is, but if you want to replicate the ring above the stone sizes you listed will be a good match proportion wise. i love the design. it is very very pretty. will you do it in yg?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear from you again! Welcome back, Hest
35.gif

Does this mean that the larger demantoid will eventually become a different piece of jewelry not a ring?

Anyway, just great.

I wouldn't second guess the size of the three-stone, because I don't know how the design looks like otherwise. I've seen and tried on older rings similar to the one posted - and larger stones work (i.e. five carat total three-stone ring). At most they flare a bit on top of the finger.

Online I could find this EXAMPLE

12786V.jpg
12786V2.jpg

This may be contemporry to the ring in your ref picture. I have not seen this then common design done recently, aside some relatively rough castings that pick up the pattern - definitely not close.

Let me guess, is THIS your new stone?
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ana, I don't think that stone in Wink's gallery is my stone, unless he put it up within the last few days. Pala sent it to him on Thurs or Fri.

My other, larger demantoid, will still go into a solitaire ring. I'm too lazy to accessorize, usually, so since rings are something I can just shove on they're really the only jewelry I can wear frequently.

Belle, I'm having the ring done in platinum, because I look awful in YG!

Thanks for the picture of the gorgeous Victorian ring. I really love the intricacy of many antique rings. Ana and Richard, you'll be somewhat amused to know that I came across the picture of the ring I want reproduced because I was looking at Georgian rings for design ideas for the larger demantoid. I just fell in love with this three stone design.

For all, if you'd like some more eye candy, here's the site. British, of course!
http://www.sjphillips.com/rings/sapphirerings/sapphirerings.htmlhttp://www.sjphillips.com/rings/sapphirerings/body_sapphirerings.html

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2005 7:21:26 PM
Author: Hest88
My other, larger demantoid, will still go into a solitaire ring. I''m too lazy to accessorize, usually, so since rings are something I can just shove on they''re really the only jewelry I can wear frequently.

Well, you will be dazzling in green! perhaps we should buy those glasses worn by people in the Emerald City of Oz so that we can handle all that green light!!! When both are done, I definitely want to see hand shots with both rings worn at the same time!!!

Deb :)

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Demantoids are highly prized by collectors and Pala seems to be able to find some of the best.
I look forward to seeing a picture of the ring.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back Hest, so nice to see you again!

Those stones are modeled into the ring to exact scale of your stones, hope that helps.
35.gif

Hest_Demantoids.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2005 12:07:27 PM
Author: Pricescope

Those stones are modeled into the ring to exact scale of your stones, hope that helps.

Yay! What an eerie feeling seeing that... it took a minute to realize SJ Phillips did not start a new line of jewelry over night.
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Leonid, thank you. The proportions are nice. I do think it loses a certain charm rendered in platinum, but I expected that. Too bad YG just isn''t an option for me!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Hest
35.gif

We missed you too!!! I think the ring will be very pretty. What about yellow gold accents around the stones??

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Actually, considering multicolor flashes you are going to see in those greens, white metal might be not that dull of a choice.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think the platinum looks spectacular, and will be even better with the actual garnets.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2005 1:43:22 PM
Author: Hest88
Leonid, thank you. The proportions are nice. I do think it loses a certain charm rendered in platinum, but I expected that. Too bad YG just isn''t an option for me!

Someone said that Irina is getting good with Photoshop. I suspect it may have been she who posted the magically altered photo!

Deb ;-)

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am worried about Leo and with Irina''s strong presence on the forum I suspect that she has done something with him. Irina, un-tie that man and put down the Whip..(KIDDING...
6.gif
)

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
They''re here!!!!

And they''re gorgeous and very bright. I''m also relieved because they don''t seem to be too big for the ring. The center stone has more of a yellow tone than the sidestones, but not significantly enough to make a difference once set into a ring. I''ll try to take some pictures for all of you.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hest- I am so jealous! I am reeeeally falling for demantoids, but a new ring is so not in the budget right now! So I shall live vicariously
9.gif
I can''t wait to see your finished ring!

Any chance of pics of the demantoids for your new ring?
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay!!
36.gif

do you just love the color or what?
3.gif
i would love to see some pics.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Okay, unfortunately, we still haven''t gotten any sun here, so here they are on a cloudy day.

rounddemssmall.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Here on my hand so you can see the sizes. My ring is about 2mm.

rounddemshandsm.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

And this with a camera flash. Hopefully the sun will come out soon so I can get a decent picture in decent light!

rounddemsflashsm.jpg

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, they look beautiful! I''m on a green kick lately so I''m really looking forward to seeing your finished ring. I''m sure it''ll be brilliant!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

They look perfectly sized to go around the finger.

In fact, there could be some room for more 'structure' than the sapphire ring. Too bad Art of Platinum is down.. I wanted to link here a certain ring design with a round center and triangular clusters of three small round stones on the sides. It sounds like these stones could fit in such an arrangement perfectly.

The diamond accents in the sapphire ring are tiny dots on top of shared prongs... A different construction would allow them to do more showing than that. How about something like THIS? It may also be exponentially easier to make without all the hand carving in those Victorians.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ana, you''re a corrupting influence.
2.gif

That''s a really pretty ring, but I think I still prefer my original idea. Plus, once I start thinking too much I''ll never make a decision. Why do you think the larger stone still doesn''t have a home?
9.gif

Okay, the sun came out briefly, so here are three more. I know they''re not all that different from the non-sun picts, but it''s so annoying not being able to get a decent picture that shows the fire and brightness of these stones!

rounddemsflashsun1sm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results