shape
carat
color
clarity

My holy grail chrysoberyl search, finally done!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
So for a while, I have been looking and looking for a neon colored chrysoberyl. There are the amazing ones from Tanzania, as well as others from Orissa, and Madagascar. I have been looking and looking for one, and to make the search even harder, one that was reasonably priced (albeit, I would have ignored the "reasonable price" on the exact right specimen). In the past 2 weeks I think I have actually found two that have made me so happy, that I can finally end the search!

My favorite is a chrysoberyl that I purchased from Chris Auletta. I have had multiple great experiences with Chris, and even when I did not like others gems as much when I saw them in hand, he was always great about me returning them (yes, I'm very picky). He did have a chrysoberyl that I have coveted for awhile, and he was finally ready to part with it. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and it was a mind blower when I saw it in person. I must say, that I have sourced some really great stones from him and I really appreciate how much he has put up with my pickiness.

The other chrysoberyls are a cushion cut gem from Tan Pham, and a round from Dana Reynolds at Mastercutgems. The cushion also has amazing color; and Dana's round glows like a little sun-ball! So now I can reign in all of the chrysoberyl search parties and call it a day; now I just have to wait for the next obsession to hit.

Here is the chrysoberyl from Chris Auletta, 3.57 ct, 10mm x 8.5mm. I tried to capture its multiple personalities in different lighting. I will say that it does have a wonderful neon color 85% of the time, that I have a real hard time capturing. I would describe the true color as a highlighter yellow, with a green secondary modifier.

ca_chrysoberyl_indoors.jpg

ca_chryso_2.jpg

ca_chryso_1.jpg

ca_chryso_diffused_daylight.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Here is the cushion from Tan, just under 2 ct, 7.0 x 6.50mm

cushion_outdoors_shaded_daylight.jpg

cushion_outdoor.jpg

cushion_indoor_led_lighting.jpg

cushion_incandescent.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Round 2.43ct chrysoberyl from the always wonderful Dana at Mastercutgems.com, 8.6mm in diameter

round_diffused_daylight.jpg

round_incansdescent.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Of the three I like the one from Tan the best. The first one looks less than eye clean, windowed, half and half extinction and generally unremarkable. The third one looks über tilt-windowy and limpid, not so saturated. The middle one looks still a little windowy, but brighter, flashier and like it throws some yellow flashes. The others look like mountain dew.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful chrysos! Congratulations! Do you have any ideas for setting them?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that my favorite is the cushion from Tan. I honestly didn't know that Tan had any more of that Tanzanian material left. I think Chris's stone *might* have originally come from Jeff Davies? If its the one I'm thinking of, its from Madagascar. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stones, especially the second one from Tan, thanks for sharing.

DK :love:

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
VL: I just could not get great pictures of the first one. It was actually a recut gem (I believe from Dan Stair), I can see how the pics make it look windowed, but it really is not. There are some inclusions, but I cannot see them at arms length. I do none of the gems service as the pics are in gem boxes, which muddles the clarity/brilliance of them. Dana's is also without a window, and sparkled like crazy. The middle one does have a small window that will easily close while setting.

Ricezo: I have no idea! Likely rings for at least 2 of the stones

Minous: It's a different "Tan." You are also right, it was a Jeff Davies stone from Madagascar. Jeff currently has some other Malagasy stones, but they seem to lack the saturation this one does. I did order one of his, but regretfully had to send it back.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. Love them all...

The round is special as I feel like you dont see them in that shape often enough. And I bet it's a sparkle monster.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats with your beautiful chryso's in three different shapes! Looking forward to see how you will set them. Which will be likely set first?

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1426988781|3850816 said:
I like 2nd one the best also. It's hard to find a nice chryso!
It is extremely difficult to find good Chrysoberyl. I have been looking for a while for one that has that anti-freeze look to it.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Congrats Xrisus, its a pity that top stone just *won't* photograph. It is an awesome highlighter yellow Chrysoberyl--which was very hard for me to let go.

To answer the questions.... It was originally from Jeff Davies, was partially recut by Dan Stair, and is of Madagascan origin. It IS Eyeclean, nowhere near windowed, and doesn't show half-half if oriented properly.
Sometimes gemstones really have to be seen in person to be evaluated. Since 'I' couldn't accurately capture that stone either, I sent it to X on memo.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I actually think Chris's picture of the stone is fairly accurate for the hue of the stone (if he doesn't mind posting it). For some reason, my pictures add a lot more green than I see in hand.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
ChrisA222|1427042048|3850951 said:
Congrats Xrisus, its a pity that top stone just *won't* photograph. It is an awesome highlighter yellow Chrysoberyl--which was very hard for me to let go.

To answer the questions.... It was originally from Jeff Davies, was partially recut by Dan Stair, and is of Madagascan origin. It IS Eyeclean, nowhere near windowed, and doesn't show half-half if oriented properly.
Sometimes gemstones really have to be seen in person to be evaluated.
Since 'I' couldn't accurately capture that stone either, I sent it to X on memo.

:appl: :appl: 1++

I see 3 wonderful Chrysoberyl - each one I would like to have in my collection.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's always satisfying to find something you've been looking for for a while. I love the colour of the first one in the first picture, and the second one in the second pic. And as mentioned above, it's nice to find a round. Congrats! :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lovely colors. A big chryso is on my wish list for sure. :love:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen the first chryso in person and it definitely is not windowed. It is a beautiful stone!!! I have a really pretty one myself and this one stood up to it really well! I was tempted to keep it myself but I am on a strict ban :boohoo:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1427064915|3851086 said:
I have seen the first chryso in person and it definitely is not windowed. It is a beautiful stone!!! I have a really pretty one myself and this one stood up to it really well! I was tempted to keep it myself but I am on a strict ban :boohoo:

As far as I'm concerned, that is no faint praise as you own one of the - if not THE - chrysoberyl by which I judge all chrysos!

BTW, have you set yours yet? :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are each different from each other and it's great that they are for keeps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results