carat
color
clarity

My Burma Myanmar gemstones :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze|1485707185|4121478 said:
My jeweller was offered about US$200 for the jadeite rough, before it was carved, but he turned it down :razz:

But where would you send the jadeite rough to be carved?

Not sure about Yangon but in Mandalay, the jade market has a carving station and there are many carvers to choose from. I would just have them make a cab, just so I know I have type A jade without going to the lab. But maybe your jeweler's carver can do it?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah I get what you mean. Yup my jeweller's family owns a jade workshop in Ygn. But most things they send to MDY still, even to drill small holes in better jadeite. I guess MDY has better equipment, skilled and more experienced craftsmen.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Burmesedaze|1477933426|4092331 said:
A few more that I'd keep for the time being till more come along to make something out of them.

Is the jade translucent?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
pregcurious|1485924858|4122744 said:
Burmesedaze|1477933426|4092331 said:
A few more that I'd keep for the time being till more come along to make something out of them.

Is the jade translucent?

Similar to my earrings

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze,

Have you seen this color in bigger sizes around Yangon? This is a ruby from Mong Hsu but I hardly see this color in decent sizes. The one set on the ring is only .22ct. The one beside are small Burmese spinels. Same question for those. :) thanks! image_1400.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Will ask tomorrow for you :)
Is the Mong Hsu one heated?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze|1486123446|4123654 said:
Will ask tomorrow for you :)
Is the Mong Hsu one heated?

Thanks!
Yes. Old heat.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jewellers say the mong hsu heated colour they've not seen the likes of before locally.

On the spinels, only small sizes. Large ones difficult to find locally and will be very expensive.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze|1486194053|4124152 said:
Jewellers say the mong hsu heated colour they've not seen the likes of before locally.

On the spinels, only small sizes. Large ones difficult to find locally and will be very expensive.

Makes sense. The heating is done in Thailand mostly. Although I thought there were burners at the mining areas? Sorry I haven't been to the Burmese mines.....so I do not know first hand. I wanted to see though, like you! I have only been to Ratnapura in Sri Lanka and Chanthaburi in Thailand...for mines within the area.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not been to the mines :(

Sharing some photos. A 4.09ct cherry reddish pink spinel. Good native cutting and the colour is pretty unique. I've not seen the colour here before. I'm getting it, after it's been certified. Over US$1k and the priciest spinel I've gotten to-date.

First photo best rep of colour, as the photos are under different lighting conditions.

20170205_142556.jpg

20170205_142501-1.jpg

20170205_142429-1.jpg

20170205_142447-1.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A jade necklace made in silver to my design. Love the coloured jadeite beads. Even type A colour

20170204_144847-1.jpg

20170204_144808.jpg

20170204_144753.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice spinel you've got!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks :) twas love at first sight. I already have a simple pendant design in mind for it.

A couple of other spinels I bought today. The 2 cushion cut purplish ones that are above the dark greenish blue.

1 of them is a lighter shade of purple. The 2 purple ones are around 3.2 ct each, maybe cut, no window. No plans to set them but will look out for more with similar shades and in a similar shape and size, perhaps for a 3-stone ring or pendant.

20170205_140430-1.jpg

20170205_140350-1.jpg

20170205_140359-1.jpg

20170205_140436-1.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A pair of small pink spinels about 0.9ct each. They are flat with windows. Very nice pink that retains its colour under different lighting. No idea if I'm getting it as I'm told its hard to find a pair, in this shade and it is relatively clean. 1 stone has an inclusion and the other slight colour zoning which is only obvious if you scrutinise them closely. Writing to see what's the best price as the asking price is high for this size.

A pair of greenish sapphires and 2 pairs of dark blue sapphire cabochons. Passing on them as the asking price is unrealistic. US$600 each!

20170205_135832-1.jpg

20170205_135759-1.jpg

20170204_141938-1.jpg

20170204_141934-1.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seaglow|1486276325|4124458 said:
Burmesedaze|1486194053|4124152 said:

Makes sense. The heating is done in Thailand mostly. Although I thought there were burners at the mining areas? Sorry I haven't been to the Burmese mines.....so I do not know first hand. I wanted to see though, like you! I have only been to Ratnapura in Sri Lanka and Chanthaburi in Thailand...for mines within the area.

I don't know if the heating technique differs But it could be so? While we were watching a documentary on youtube on mong hsu, they mentioned to me that the majority are transported direct to Thailand. Only small quantities come to Yangon. I've seen heated Mogok and Mong Hsu rubies but none this shade of electric neon pink, far from it. They did mention that it's usually low heat treatment done, if heated at source.

The cutters at source tend to cut for weight and the cutters in Yangon might go more for aesthetics (diamond cut) over weight. But when it comes to rubies, everyone cuts for weight!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous parcel of pinkish red Mogok spinels in their natural form. Shown to me but not for sale. My jeweller traded huge over 20ct aquamarine for this.

20170205_151314.jpg

20170205_151012.jpg

20170205_151329.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The bigger perfect spinel crystals costs a lot! A nice red clean crystal between 1-2 carats have an initial asking price of USD2300 as I've seen in Mei Sai and Bangkok. I guess it's for the collectors' market. The small ones you have in the bag in a lot, I haven't seen sold around.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze

I love this thread. I was wondering though, as you are buying so many stones and pieces of jewelry, when you leave
Burma are you intending to sell them? It just seems you are buying all of the time. I may buy one piece in a year or every other
year but you are buying like 6 pieces at time!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seaglow - That's my first time seeing this shade by the lot in their crystal form too. I've not seen a complete whole crystal in the 1 - 2 carat range, guess they all make their way over the border :wall:

Pyramid - Haha I get asked that pretty much too, Pyramid. I started off acquiring paintings but it reached a point where I don't have enough storage here after shifting apartments, had to factor in how much limited space I would have once I relocate back home, coupled with the fact that the local painters are at crossroads and need to show that they can continue their creative streak and giving meaning to their works in this new world climate that the country finds itself in. They've not surmounted that, so I've erm, switched to gemstones to acquire in the meantime.v :D

I think there's a hierarchy of wants. For gems, I was setting almost everything I had earlier acquired, to varying levels of satisfaction. I'm now on the lookout for more unusual stuff and in slightly larger sizes. But I might not set them all, only those I really fancy. I have lots of design ideas in my head, but it's the dearth of good quality, or similar coloured matching gemstones at a reasonable price point, coupled with expensive setting costs, that are stopping me from rampantly doing so. Which is just as well. It's also to some part spurred on by (a) the deposits are drying up, getting harder and harder to get quality and size at affordable price points; (b) everything back home is more expensive and the B&M jewellery stores know zilch about natural, unheated CS; (c) I'm only here for a limited time so like Pogo, gotta collect 'em all! (right :loopy: ) Besides, before I posted here, iirc, my only jewellery were white gold stuff with smallish diamonds and 3 CS items - an amethyst ring, a tourmaline ring and an amethyst pendant. So that's a pretty low base to start from.

I suppose I might cull both paintings and gemstones at some later stage in life, but not at the moment :bigsmile:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze, That candy cherry spinel is gorgeous. How will you set it? This thread has been so much fun and I love seeing the price points for your finds. Between you and seaglow I've learnt a lot.

I'm flying into Yangon Friday night, my first stop is going to be the gem market then your museum guy-so excited. I've got a pile of relatively new USD, just hope they are flat enough. Do you pay in USD for your stones?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sunday is Union Day, a public holiday, so Gem Museum won't be open.

Goodluck and have a fruitful hunt :)
Yes I pay in both USD and local currency. They are pretty flexible and can do the conversion either way.

Something like this simple setting, to let the colour speak for itself. But with double claws. What do you think?

img_3322a__1_-1.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's an unusual (to me) natural untreated bicolour tourmaline I picked up today. Yellow and light pink. Over a carat and looks eye clean.

Alongside is a 2.+ princess cut natural untreated Mogok spinel in a cognac-like colour.

Got back the 3 new spinels I picked up over the weekend from the lab :)
Photos under white LED lighting.

20170210_003108-1.jpg

20170210_002902-1.jpg

20170210_002921-1.jpg

20170210_003125-1.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd probably hoard on spinels to if I live in Yangon. But maybe not as much as you. Can't wait to see your purchases at the fair. :dance:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I might be in Yangon before the fair! Any recommendations at the Gem Museum? Thanks!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seaglow|1486738670|4127008 said:
I might be in Yangon before the fair! Any recommendations at the Gem Museum? Thanks!

Other than my jeweller, there's a Ma Ruby that deals in higher end stuff. She does house/hotel visits. Has a shop at Bogyoke but good things aren't there. I can pass you her number, good English, accepts credit cards. But you must tell her what you are looking for in advance.

When are you coming and what are you looking for? :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze|1486797751|4127362 said:

Other than my jeweller, there's a Ma Ruby that deals in higher end stuff. She does house/hotel visits. Has a shop at Bogyoke but good things aren't there. I can pass you her number, good English, accepts credit cards. But you must tell her what you are looking for in advance.

One night only, 18th to 19th. Not also sure about higher end stuffs as those would be at the fair.....but what does she have? This is quite dangerous on the budget. Lol. Not looking for anything in particular. Spinels are always still nicely priced in Myanmar....if you are free maybe you'd like to have dinner at The Strand? If not, all well. Any recommendation for good food though?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seaglow|1486799280|4127363 said:
Burmesedaze|1486797751|4127362 said:

One night only, 18th to 19th. Not also sure about higher end stuffs as those would be at the fair.....but what does she have? This is quite dangerous on the budget. Lol. Not looking for anything in particular. Spinels are always still nicely priced in Myanmar....if you are free maybe you'd like to have dinner at The Strand? If not, all well. Any recommendation for good food though?

Ma Ruby is skipping the Bkk fair and only going for the HK one. I will ask what she has on hand when I'm back on Tues. Currently enjoying a short home leave :)

Great! I'm in town on 18 and 19, would love to meet up. Good timing as I'm heading off on 20th for a work trip. I can accompany you 18 afternoon to browse gems if you'd like that. I've not tried the renovated Strand. For good restaurants, there's The Yangon Restaurant at People's Park Compound, Shwe Sa Bwe that rotates their menu - they train disadvantaged local kids for 6 months before they head out to the service industry, Rangoon Teahouse just got renovated too, not tried the new one with a slightly retweaked menu and Japanese restaurants here are pretty good too (Kobe-Ya, Hokkaido). Conpared with The Strand, I think The Yangon Restaurant would be considered upper middle priced. The rest listed above are pretty midrange in pricepoints, by expat standards. Japanese restaurants depend on what you order.

The Savoy and Le Planteur have decent lunch sets and have nice rustic settings.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great! I arrive about 1pm at the airport and would probably reach the restaurant 2pm. If you are up for late lunch, I'm fine. Otherwise, dinner is also ok.

It would be nice to see what's available in Yangon currently. :)

On the restaurants, I'm up for anything. The Shwe Sa Bwe has a good cause, also ranks 2nd at one of the traveler's site, first being La Planteur. The Yangon Restaurant looks conveniently located though. I guess we can go to any of these 3? I'm pretty easy. I'm also good with Japanese, but have a pretty high standard for this. Lol.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seaglow|1486874271|4127699 said:
Great! I arrive about 1pm at the airport and would probably reach the restaurant 2pm. If you are up for late lunch, I'm fine. Otherwise, dinner is also ok.

It would be nice to see what's available in Yangon currently. :)

On the restaurants, I'm up for anything. The Shwe Sa Bwe has a good cause, also ranks 2nd at one of the traveler's site, first being La Planteur. The Yangon Restaurant looks conveniently located though. I guess we can go to any of these 3? I'm pretty easy. I'm also good with Japanese, but have a pretty high standard for this. Lol.

I've asked my jeweller to check, will get back to you when they let me know. Would you like to drop by Gem Museum to take a look? If so, it closes by 4pm so that doesn't leave time for lunch. We could meet up at Gem Museum first since its along the way from the airport to downtown. I'm also fine with dinner :)

Oh, I managed to swing by Strand Hotel today for a quick look. There are no more shops there after the renovation!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze,

Yes, let's meet at the Gem Mueseum! Let me know which area. :)

So I went to Tachileik yesterday. It seems at the side of the Burmese border, the small stones are affordable....the bigger ones seem better priced in Thailand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results