shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge.... Opinions please

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone
Long time, no talkie. I have a few gems on my must have list, just like everybody else. One happens to be a Mahenge spinel. I just got one within my budget and I want to know honest opinions. Especially TL and Chrono, but everyone is welcome. The stone is from AJS and they were very good to deal with. I really like the color and there is no window. The one problem with the cutting is the crown is very shallow. The stone is included, however, it is in my budget and I'm pretty ok with them. Anyway. Deep breath. Here is it.

mehenge4.jpg

mehenge3.jpg

mehenge2.jpg

mehenge.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question, how large is it, and about how much did it cost? That would help in determining if it were a good value. The color seems decent, not top, but again, it depends on what you paid.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I have to also say I am not very happy with my photos tonight. The color is more juicy and saturated than what my camera is showing. I will have to try again tomorrow or later tonight.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
5.35 cts and less than $900

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1303519021|2903038 said:
5.35 cts and less than $900

Very included mahenges tend to be a great bargain these days, considering if that material was not included, it would be AT LEAST $1K/ct from what I've seen prices go for lately in sizes above 3 carats. You never know, perhaps these highly included stones will be very highly prized once they're no longer mining anythng. I'd keep it for that price. Get some UV shots if you can too. Cutting issues aside, it's a good buy, and I think will make for a pretty piece of jewelry.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh of relief! Ok good. Thanks TL. I am starting to fall for it, even with all of it's imperfections. If the sun is shining tomorrow I will take some pics.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1303519719|2903045 said:
Sigh of relief! Ok good. Thanks TL. I am starting to fall for it, even with all of it's imperfections. If the sun is shining tomorrow I will take some pics.

Some people cannot tolerate inclusions/flaws, but I think they're a great way to get nice color for a more affordable price. I also like inclusions as they sometimes help determine if a stone is natural and/or untreated. I could see that in a giant ballerina baguette setting. It would be stunning.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
What is a ballerina baguette setting? I am intrigued.... :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1303520703|2903056 said:
What is a ballerina baguette setting? I am intrigued.... :naughty:

Something like this. Yes, I have gaudy taste.

S48-RING.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I'm afraid I'm not very helpful as to whether or not it's a good value, but I wanted to chime in and say that the color looks very lovely!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha I love it! In all it's wonderful gaudiness. Might be a bit much for the area in which I live but it would sure be fun :appl:

K9 Thanks for chiming in. Like I said I want to hear your comments. Speaking of lovely colors the stone in your avatar is gorgeous too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1303528067|2903148 said:
Hahaha I love it! In all it's wonderful gaudiness. Might be a bit much for the area in which I live but it would sure be fun :appl:

K9 Thanks for chiming in. Like I said I want to hear your comments. Speaking of lovely colors the stone in your avatar is gorgeous too.

For a minute, I thought I scared you away with that setting. I want someone to photoshop your stone in there so I can drool.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
You didn't scare me away. I had to make dinner hehe. I don't have photoshop but I would be pretty cool to see the stone in there. I was determined that this year would be dedicated to setting all the stones I have but here I am buying again! I feel like I had to get a mahenge and I really want a spess before they are all gone. :errrr:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you fell for it, then it is top color to you, that's all that matters. I like the inclusions in it -- gives it a lot of personality. It's a good size, nice warm color. Cutting could be better but hey, perfection doesn't come on a budget for any of us. I'd keep it -- think you'll get a lot of pleasure from it.

Is that luxurious fur on your kitty or a fox-fur muff?

--- Laurie

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE those bubbly inclusions in that stone, I could have a wonderful time
photographing that !!!!!!!!!!!!
I think everyone here is right, and that's if YOU love the stone,
then it is meant to be !

That setting reminds me of those collars that old English kings and queens
are shown wearing in portraits..... :sun:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1303563240|2903308 said:
I LOVE those bubbly inclusions in that stone, I could have a wonderful time
photographing that !!!!!!!!!!!!
I think everyone here is right, and that's if YOU love the stone,
then it is meant to be !

That setting reminds me of those collars that old English kings and queens
are shown wearing in portraits..... :sun:

Then it would be a "ruff" setting. ;))

The reason they call it a ballerina setting is because from the side, it looks like a ballerina too-too. Just an interesting tidbit.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelfreak hehe that luxurious fur is the adorable canine in my avatar. Newt is her name and she is my photography assistant, as she is part Jack Russell she loves to play fetch, I was sitting on the floor trying to take photos and to her I am fair game when down at her level hence the furry coat pic. I am glad you like the spinel too. It's going to give me a lot of finger coverage.

Ooo~shiney Hi I really like to bubble too. I'm gonna keep it. Now for a setting search. I think the tutu might be a bit much for my jeans and sneakers lifestyle.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Treenbean :)

I think you did very well as my contact in Tanzania is constantly sending me pictures of parcels of that material and it is only getting more expensive. the color and size surely outweighs the inclusion factor... I do agree with TL that you can get them now for a good price like you did; but that too will change...

I know I have a few to cut now and I just bought another parcel that has 2 stones in the high 20+ carat size that color or close that they listed as cabochon rough and I hope just one of them will cut a gem similar to yours; fingers crossed; but they were not cheap either as none of that stuff is...

So all-in-all I think you made a great investment as neon colored natural, untreated gems are very rare and will only increase in value to a true collector.

Good luck with it and i hope you get many, many years of pleasure from wearing and looking at it...

Bravo :)

Most respectfully;

Dana

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

mahengerinadeux.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make it more hot pink, that looks purplish. Thanks!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
yeah
I goofed first time forgot the layer was at 47% opacity still from bringing up the prongs, so the blue was bleeding through.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: Thanks for fixing it VL Nice ring!! :naughty:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol at Mahengerinna! :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting has to be as open as possible. Even TL's setting covers much of the sides. Since the stone is included, its beauty should be in the glow that the inclusions give. I once made a mistake of bezeling included, but incredibly glowy Lloliondo spessartite and lost all the effect. From what I have seen (and I have never worked with him), Daniel M. makes good open settings. I'd try him or someone similar in this situation.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh see, I was thinking the color was so nice that a setting surrounded with lots of white diamonds would set off the color even more, so you wouldn't notice the inclusions as much. I've seen many silky sleepy rubies set like that, and the white background of diamonds, really sets them off. There was this emerald that was posted in the SMTB thread the other day, and that's a similar example of what I'm talking about.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-diamonds-ring-updated-picture-info.159605/

_BUQARI_

Shiny_Rock
I just got one question - hoping someone can answer me without open a new topic.
Is this Spinel "Mahenge" in color? - if not, which colors would be a "Mahenge"?

Thanks!

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
_BUQARI_|1322966173|3073741 said:
I just got one question - hoping someone can answer me without open a new topic.
Is this Spinel "Mahenge" in color? - if not, which colors would be a "Mahenge"?

Thanks!

I don't consider that to be the vivid saturated quality of a fine Mahenge spinel. It looks like a regular pink spinel.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi BUQARI,

I have two Mahenges, one being pure neon pink and another being pink, with red and orange. I have bought a few spinels since and I would like to talk about spinels in general. I have bought and returned many a spinel with a grey or brown color to it. The stone you pictured would be one that I would return as it is not vibrant in color and seems a bit grey to me. It could be the that your picture does not truly represent the color your stone. A good spinel from my experience does not have any grey or brown that you can see with your eyes. I think the typical Mahenge spinel criteria is a neon pink or pink with red spinel that glows in low light. I really don't care what the ideal "Mahenge" color is, but after acquiring two "Mahenges" it has made me desire pink and red spinels with vibrant color and glow that do not show grey in any light. I recently bought a Burma spinel that is a pink/red and has a glow that although not Mahenge is very beautiful. I hope that helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results