shape
carat
color
clarity

Kate Middleton & Liz Hurley move over-now this is a sapphire

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Re: Kate Middleton & Liz Hurley move over-now this is a sapp

There is a difference between dark toned and extinct. As Richard Hughes states.."Black extinction is an often misunderstood characteristic of colored stones where black is reflected back instead of color. Wrongly, extinction is ignored, called tone, or called dichroism."
and
"Basically, a gem quality stone is 100% color and has no extinction. As extinction increases, value goes down more rapidly at first and then more slowly as black becomes a large part of the color. Extinction is a nonlinear effect, almost as strongly so as modifier (saturation)."
It has nothing to do with the actual color of Kate's stone color(well it does somewhat, since darker stones it's much more apparent)...it's the gross amount of extinction present.
It lacks brillance, which is a key integral part of gemstones. Why are gemstones faceted in the first place? To be brillant!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

All I know is that Prince Charles got ripped off paying almost $100K for that ring back in 1980. You know, just because a store is a high end jeweler, doesn't necessarily mean the quality is great. Just think of what we, as educated PS'ers, would get for $100K today!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Black Jade|1328758601|3122174 said:
Just wondering--to some extent isn't this a matter of taste?
All the sapphires, even famous ones I've seen from Britain are that dark, dark blue, almost like a navy. I thought it was preferred there, just as the light and slightly grayish blue Ceylons seem to be preferred in France.
I thought the only 'bad' sapphires were the blackish greenish ones with no light visible in them. If that's what you mean by 'extinction'. I do think Princess Di's sapphire has light visible in it--it's not an opaque stone.
Sapphire is my birthstone, and I don't wear it because I rarely see ones that I think are pretty are me and then they cost a bunch. I would wear a stone the color of Beyonce's stone (but not that particular ring, which is not to my taste.) But then, I have darker skin (though not as dark as Beyonce's) Would someone who is fair like Princess Diana/Kate/Liz Hurley look as nice in the electric bright blue stone that suits Beyonce? I thought the subdued sort of navy was very flattering to fair English skin and that that might be why it is preferred there.
But these are jsut my own thoughts.

Absolutely not. I'm from the UK and have NEVER EVER liked the dark blue/black horrible sapphires. Elizabeth Taylor was English and I'm absolutely positive she would never have entertained such a sapphire!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

That is an amazing piece of art. I'd fake a pregnancy for 6 months TOO if I could get one of THOSE. :love: :devil:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for this TL! I can't believe it! Its such a large stone and yet still a beautiful blue!!!

Man those Kate Middleton ring picks are very disappointing. I have never been a fan of that sapphire but now that I have seen the up close pics I must say I think it is terrible. :nono: She deserves a much better stone on her finger! I mean come on it looks like really low quality Thai material! It looks like a puddle of ink! So sad. ;(
~Justin

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Justin_Cutter|1328868378|3123052 said:
Thanks for this TL! I can't believe it! Its such a large stone and yet still a beautiful blue!!!

Man those Kate Middleton ring picks are very disappointing. I have never been a fan of that sapphire but now that I have seen the up close pics I must say I think it is terrible. :nono: She deserves a much better stone on her finger! I mean come on it looks like really low quality Thai material! It looks like a puddle of ink! So sad. ;(
~Justin

Truth be told, Diana picked it out, and I assume she thought it was the best, being a very young woman after all when she did pick it out. It has a lot of sentimentality and fame attached to it, but I wish people would stop using it as the "prime example of sapphire" because it's far from it. Now Beyonce's ring, that's a PRIME example.

To be fair, maybe every single photograph of the stone is terrible, and it's much better in person, but it still doesn't come close to Beyonce's sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How do we know that Beyonce's stone isn't highly treated? After all, some high end jewelry designers are not as adverse to treatments, right?

Just saying...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

decodelighted|1328846870|3122938 said:
That is an amazing piece of art. I'd fake a pregnancy for 6 months TOO if I could get one of THOSE. :love: :devil:

I cannot stay abreast of gossip. Is there a rumor that she faked a pregnancy? Is the baby not actually human? Please tell all!

Deb
:saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1328879832|3123103 said:
Justin_Cutter|1328868378|3123052 said:

~Justin

Truth be told, Diana picked it out, and I assume she thought it was the best, being a very young woman after all when she did pick it out. It has a lot of sentimentality and fame attached to it, but I wish people would stop using it as the "prime example of sapphire" because it's far from it. Now Beyonce's ring, that's a PRIME example.

To be fair, maybe every single photograph of the stone is terrible, and it's much better in person, but it still doesn't come close to Beyonce's sapphire.

Excellent points TL! I will never understand why people associate the Dana/Kate Sapphire with Ideal.
~Justin

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kate Middleton is just not ready for that (blueberry) jelly. :naughty:

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock

This was posted in the Royal Jewels thread. So it can look blue, when faced with a wall of paparazzi flashes... (you know, the flashes that make seemingly opaque black fabric look see-through)

(but still extinct, still dull...)

Kate20120208.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1328892631|3123239 said:
How do we know that Beyonce's stone isn't highly treated? After all, some high end jewelry designers are not as adverse to treatments, right?

Just saying...

True, but hopefully her high end clients spending millions of dollars on these things are getting the real deal. She also designed those humongous emerald earrings and ring that Angelina Jolie famously wore. Kate's ring could be heated too, we just don't know. I never heard of that ring coming with a lab report, or anything attesting to its treatment level (and that stone could use some treatment!! :lol: )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tntyau|1328897655|3123320 said:
This was posted in the Royal Jewels thread. So it can look blue, when faced with a wall of paparazzi flashes... (you know, the flashes that make seemingly opaque black fabric look see-through)

(but still extinct, still dull...)

Navy blue. It is an iconic ring though.

It's funny that the press keeps saying it's 18 carats, as they confused the weight of the gem with the karat weight of the gold (18K). It's probably more like 7 carats. It's not as huge as everyone makes it out to be when you see it on her hand.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wanna go on a gem buying spree with Lorraine Schwartz! I'd pay just to watch her choose from the great secret sweets-box of super elite high end artisans.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i'd pay to just peer into that box!!!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1328894006|3123261 said:
decodelighted|1328846870|3122938 said:

I cannot stay abreast of gossip. Is there a rumor that she faked a pregnancy? Is the baby not actually human? Please tell all!

Deb
:saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Hi Deb, I was as blissfully ignorant as you regarding the rumors until yesterday when I went to work. I started discussing Beyonce's gorgeous ring with my assistants and wow, did they give me an earful of what they think about Beyonce and her pregnancy! LOL, they are 100% convinced she and Jay-Z faked the pregnancy so as not to mess up her beautiful figure and hired a surrogate to carry the baby. OMG, I still cannot believe that is true and that so many apparently do! :o

I rather enjoy being blissfully ignorant of these ridiculous rumors. What people will think up- I just don't get it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Ah My Gaaahhh

I've never really liked sapphires that much until now... :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

That ring. THAT RING! And the gold bracelet. Crazy beautiful. Like "Royal" jewels. Whats next?

cheers--Sharon

ededdeddy

Rough_Rock

I wonder what shade of blue this stone would be called or where it would fit in the color palate? Also I wonder where its origin is? Madonna wore a spectacular blue sapphire ring when she performed a Coachella a few years back.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting modification was made to the famous Diana/Kate ring. Initially it only had 4 sets of 2 prongs (i.e. a total of 8 prongs) but at some point (when it was Dianas) more prongs were added. See photo.

Sorry you have to squint to see the second comparison. It was large when I uploaded it. :lol:

Diana & Kates engagement ring.jpg

Diana & Kates engagement ring2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD|1328961896|3123922 said:
Interesting modification was made to the famous Diana/Kate ring. Initially it only had 4 sets of 2 prongs (i.e. a total of 8 prongs) but at some point (when it was Dianas) more prongs were added. See photo.

Sorry you have to squint to see the second comparison. It was large when I uploaded it. :lol:

Yes more prongs were added to it for securing the stone better. I would have preferred losing the stone so I could get something else (I'm bad :twisted: )

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the pix of Beyonce's sapphire. I know it's all a matter of taste, but I do find Kate's sapphire (and Liz's too) way too dark. I own a light blue-grey sapphire, which I don't like either and try to replace with something with more fire. See my query https://www.pricescope.com/communit... ring, 3.1 ct): [ATTACH=full]308442[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• victorian sapphire ir 3,1 carat.jpg
    victorian sapphire ir 3,1 carat.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 782

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock

And Charles didn't pay $100,000 for Diana's sapphire. I believe it was 30,000 pounds and change then. Regardless of price, I far prefer Beyonce's. :love:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

IIRC, Charles paid £28k GBP for the ring in 1981.

The info I got from someone who knows the guy who got to resize the ring for Kate is that the sapphire is around 8ct. The colour is better than it generally looks in photographs but is far from premium.

I wouldn't say that it's a preferred shade in the UK - people much prefer the medium blue colours, but the darker blues sell because it's mistakenly thought that they are good quality because of the Diana ring.

I remember having quite a row with a girl over on the Royal Jewels thread last year because she was offended when I said the Kate/Diana sapphire was not a good example...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pandora|1328988601|3124109 said:

The info I got from someone who knows the guy who got to resize the ring for Kate is that the sapphire is around 8ct. The colour is better than it generally looks in photographs but is far from premium.

I wouldn't say that it's a preferred shade in the UK - people much prefer the medium blue colours, but the darker blues sell because it's mistakenly thought that they are good quality because of the Diana ring.

I remember having quite a row with a girl over on the Royal Jewels thread last year because she was offended when I said the Kate/Diana sapphire was not a good example...

I am SO pleased you've said this. I've never thought it was the reported 18ct because the finger coverage just isn't right. Thank you for this.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock

I remember that exchange. ;-) The member in question had a replica of Di's ring, so she didn't appreciate your comments about the color not being the most desirable. Anyway, I don't think you could get an 8 carat premium sapphire for 28,000 or 30,000 GBP.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PrincessCath|1328987666|3124100 said:
And Charles didn't pay $100,000 for Diana's sapphire. I believe it was 30,000 pounds and change then. Regardless of price, I far prefer Beyonce's. :love:

I think in US. money, it came to around $80K from what I heard. I just rounded up to $100K because I wasn't sure and I accounted for inflation.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's the biggest problem I have with this famous sapphire in bold above. Did your friend's friend also say it was far from premium as well?

Well, I'm glad Jay-Z isn't taking Kate's sapphire into account when purchasing one! :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results