shape
carat
color
clarity

it''s a little scary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
So, I''ve been reading all the tutorials and postings on purchasing a sapphire and it seems a little scary. I understand that the colored stone grading system is not as rigid as diamonds. It seems like you have to pay the most attention to the quality of the color in the stone. So, if I wanted to shop for a sapphire, do I just have to trust my gut and gor for it?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really: that gamblig impulse can be easily educated and informed a great deal.

What you are saying is rather true, but what kind of info you should expect to get from the seller depends a lot on what kind of sapphire you are after. For example, if you want a top piece, than you have every reason to ask for a certified sapphire.

If not, than the reputation of the seller and your own judgment remain key. I would have second thoughts about buying an "unheated" sapphire based on seller's word and a short glimpse at the piece: there are not 1000 easy ways for one to test this so I would question how does he know to tell me. Besides, the "danger" of finding a top color unheated gem are not all that great: you would have to go for a seller specializing in such finds. More complicated treatments are also not so easy to spot, but, despite the noise about them, not so common either.

Aside any technicality, common sense is king: sapphire do not grow in the grass, so "cornflowers" are supposed to be rare. Any selling practice not in acord with the the profile of a hard to get, rare gem, should rise Qs. For example: being offered a blatant discount, of 10 3cts top color&clarity sapphires would make me run. If a stone looks as good as the "fake" (lab made) ones than either it is or the seller is mad not to offer some guarantee if asked - both arguments would make me desert the shop ASAP.

What can one do then? Buy from a reputable source (online of) and surely learn what sapphires look like so as to know what to ask for and what to expect. For example, it is rather hard to get a glimpse of a good stone in a random jewelry shop: those tend to be overly dark. No idea why would one buy a black crystal with scarce blue flashes and call it "blue sapphire". If you are a risk taker and like shopping sround, go to a few high-end sellers and get to see some sapphires, go through a couple of afternoons in the library, score the web (there are a few good sites if you are interested in surfing for such merchandise) and go for it.

Return policies and appraisals should take the suspense out of this buying experience. What do you have in mind?

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I've heard that the computer screen can't really show the beauty of saphires or other colored stones. Where do you suggest I go if I want to take a look at some in person? I'm a little weary of jewellery districts, but do you think that's a place to start? (I'm in the LA region)

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
You're in a good spot...get an appointment to visit Pala Gems:razz:ala
912 So. Live Oak Park Road, Fallbrook, CA 92028 Telephone:
800-854-1598.

Before your visit take a look at www.palagems.com and try to spot what your interests are and then you won't waste time once you get there.

Then many of us vendors here can source the stones from them for your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results