shape
carat
color
clarity

Is merelani mint garnet just a pale version Tsavorite?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, they seem to fall under the same category---grossular garnet
Their mines are very close and for a long time people just assume mint garnet is a pale Tsavorite

Does that mean if I buy a very light tone but moderately strong saturation, with a little blueish hue tsavorite, I can call it a merelani mint garnet? (Well, maybe not mined from merelani, but looks the same, and probably same material?)

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
An example

It is named tsavorite, but I thought this color is pretty close to a merelani mint garnet.

Your thoughts?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OTL|1340830386|3224631 said:
Just curious, they seem to fall under the same category---grossular garnet
Their mines are very close and for a long time people just assume mint garnet is a pale Tsavorite

Tsavorite and so-called Merelani Mint are the same gem mineral: green grossular garnet. Both trade names were coined, the first by Tiffany & Co., the second by another American gem dealer. Grossular garnets exhibit the largest number of colors of all garnet species. The greens run from deeply saturated hues to near-colorless, and the mint hues fall toward the less saturate end of the scale. Colorless grossulars can be tinted either very light green or light yellow. The best have the color of an "I" diamond.

Other grossular hues include orange-red to yellow (the variety called Hessonite); orange, yellow-green, again near-colorless tinted slightly yellow; and even pink (rare). The name grossular is derived from the botanical name for the gooseberry, grossularia, and the yellowish-greens are a common color for this species. Most of the so-called Mali garnets are grossulars but some are blended with the andradite garnet species which can result in much higher brilliance and dispersion than found in regular grossulars.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Richard

Thanks for the information. So I assume what I guess is almost correct?
A very saturated green color grossular garnet is called tsavorite
A light tone less saturated bluish green grossular garnet can be called merelani mint garnet
Other common colors such as light yellowish green is just a grossular garnet

So the above stone, one should call it a light saturated bluish green grossular garnet (if they are not sure about the origin,can not put the merelani mint label on it). One shouldn't call the above stone a light saturated tsavorite?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OTL|1340838240|3224734 said:
Hi Richard

Thanks for the information. So I assume what I guess is almost correct?
A very saturated green color grossular garnet is called tsavorite
A light tone less saturated bluish green grossular garnet can be called merelani mint garnet
Other common colors such as light yellowish green is just a grossular garnet

So the above stone, one should call it a light saturated bluish green grossular garnet (if they are not sure about the origin,can not put the merelani mint label on it). One shouldn't call the above stone a light saturated tsavorite?

You are pretty much correct. Both hues/saturations are green grossular garnets. Originally all saturations/tones of green grossular were marketed as Tsavorite. To romanticize sales of the lighter saturations gem dealer Steve Ulatowski coined the name "Merelani Mint." It worked. I call this the "gem name game." It applies to many gem names. But inevitably it leads to problems. At what point does a grossular become a mint grossular and when does a mint grossular become a Tsavorite? You will encounter many different opinions, even at gem labs. It's the old pink sapphire vs. ruby game.

Technically and literally both hues are green grossulars exhibiting different saturation/tone. The trade names were created because marketers figured more people would buy gems that had exotic foreign-sounding names than plain old "green grossular garnet" and they were right.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think, though, that the name Merelani Mint is reserved for just those of lighter shade with a bluish green hue; many have a yellowish bit to their green; some have neither. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please :praise:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first merelani mint garnets were mined in Merelani Hills in Tanzania, but I wouldn't get too hung up on a marketing name. I would just buy what you think is pretty for a light green grossular garnet, no matter where it comes from.

The color of the merelanis, or lighter green grossulars I've seen ranged from greyish yellowish green, greyish green, more saturated green, or a very slightly bluish green, all with either a medium light to light tone. I even saw one so so light in tone, it was almost colorless.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1340842948|3224788 said:
The first merelani mint garnets were mined in Merelani Hills in Tanzania, but I wouldn't get too hung up on a marketing name. I would just buy what you think is pretty for a light green grossular garnet, no matter where it comes from.

The color of the merelanis, or lighter green grossulars I've seen ranged from greyish yellowish green, greyish green, more saturated green, or a very slightly bluish green, all with either a medium light to light tone. I even saw one so so light in tone, it was almost colorless.

Same here, I just thought medium bluish green is the most desiable color. But there are a lot of yellowish green being called mint garnet. I think that's due to no specific rule has been set so people are just calling it because to them it's a mint garnet. And it will sell for a better money potentially.

I have to admit I'm so smitten by your merelani mint garnet, that I'm searching everywhere but couldn't found anything close to yours.
I end up buying a mint tourmaline from litnon, and the mint garnet above.

Hope they look nice IRL.

I will post pictures in this thread when they arrive.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
vendor's photo of the mint tourmaline
I definitely see a hint blue in this stone

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1340844365|3224804 said:
TL|1340842948|3224788 said:

Same here, I just thought medium bluish green is the most desiable color. But there are a lot of yellowish green being called mint garnet. I think that's due to no specific rule has been set so people are just calling it because to them it's a mint garnet. And it will sell for a better money potentially.

I have to admit I'm so smitten by your merelani mint garnet, that I'm searching everywhere but couldn't found anything close to yours.
I end up buying a mint tourmaline from litnon, and the mint garnet above.

Hope they look nice IRL.

I will post pictures in this thread when they arrive.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy your new stones. Looking forward to your photos.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I didn't know Steve coined the term...damn! :read:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just like tsavorites, mint garnets will also colour shift a little, some turning a little yellower under one lighting and a little bluer under a different lighting. Do check the stone out carefully under various indoor and outdoor light sources.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1340850225|3224893 said:
Just like tsavorites, mint garnets will also colour shift a little, some turning a little yellower under one lighting and a little bluer under a different lighting. Do check the stone out carefully under various indoor and outdoor light sources.

Thanks for bring that up! I didn't know that

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Got my trillion tourmaline from litnon
I don't see any blue undertone, but a yellow undertone...lol
And it's eye clean from front, but has a inclusion or small crack seeing from behind...

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
One more picture

It is more saturated and beautiful than real stone....

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Got my heart mint garnet!

I expect that trillion tourmaline a lot more than this one, because from vendor's picture I expect it could be a yellowish green garnet, it was just an inpulsive buy without doing any study. BUT!!! It arrived yesterday and it has absolutely no yellow undertone! It is so beautiful and so MINTY!! Now I feel sorry for the tourmaline sitting next to this garnet....

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
pretty color! And I'm a sucker for hearts,too!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1342027436|3232414 said:
pretty color! And I'm a sucker for hearts,too!

I love heart, trillion, pear, cushion....Anything but oval and round. I know I'm weird. :tongue:

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
It's funny that the one I expected to be blusih turns out yellowish
The one I thought was yellowish turns out bluish...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!! I'm so glad you were able to find a minty bluish green garnet!! :appl:

It's beautiful!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stones esp the minty garnet... if you have a UV light you should try shining it on the garnet it should glow ORANGE

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1342054746|3232617 said:
Awesome!! I'm so glad you were able to find a minty bluish green garnet!! :appl:

It's beautiful!

Thanks for your inspiration!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
sleepyspinel|1342057734|3232645 said:
Beautiful stones esp the minty garnet... if you have a UV light you should try shining it on the garnet it should glow ORANGE

Unfortunately I don't own one, though I am concerning buy one recently!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite the difference! So the garnet is staying and the tourmaline is going home?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1342092722|3232753 said:
Quite the difference! So the garnet is staying and the tourmaline is going home?

I really am not sure, the tourmaline is only $140, to return it I might need to spend near $30 for postage...But if I keep it, I don't see I will set it in the future..It's quite large for my thin finger(8.8x8.8!), settings that can hold such a large stone cost a lot more than a small one, like 6x6 or 7x7. So it really makes no sense to spend that much money on a cheap stone which I am not extremely exciting about... :|

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I prefer a garnet over a tourmaline - it just sparkles more.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely on your hand. The color really stands out against your skin. I hope you set it in rose gold. :naughty:

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1342156989|3233146 said:
Seems like you've made up your mind!

I have decided to return the tourmaline

Don't know Michael's return policy, should I include the original invoice inside?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results