shape
carat
color
clarity

ideal mahenge characteristics

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am shopping for a nice mahenge in the 1-2 range. Color and fire matter most to me for a piece of jewelry. However, I would really like a stone that represents the mahenge traits. I realize that the pickings are slim these days but my impression is that a nice mahenge spinel should be neon red pink/pink red.

If I could get some feedback on how to tell if neon trait is present and some 'ideal' images, and thoughts on my fav four stones I would greatly appreciate it.

Note that I ordered stones 3 and 4. Swala has told me they will give me more detail and a comparison of these two stones on monday before they ship. Sight unseen, and depending on inclusions mentioned but not visibly in pics, I would choose the pear. But omg it is a tough choice between the two. and then to look at those juicy gemfix stones... im in quite a spot.

Thank you!!

Here are the top four stones;
Image 1
Mahenge Spinel Round "Portuguese" Style
Weight: 1.01 cts
Measurements: 5.4mm, depth 4.5mm
Clarity:VVS
Origin: Mahenge, Tanzania
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 780.00
Order/Stock No.: spinel_266
Description: Delicious strawberry pink! Extremely saturated and sparkly. Yum.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Pantone 1787/193C

Image 2
Mahenge Spinel "Portuguese" Style Oval
Weight: 1.12 cts
Measurements: 6.5x5.8mm, depth 4.1mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Mahenge, Tanzania
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 1340.00
Order/Stock No.: spinel_276
Description: Simply gorgeous Mahenge spinel. Awesome strawberry pink color, not orange. Bright and brilliant to the max! Nice cut. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Pantone 1915C is close

Image 3
Reference: #ref11244
Variety: Spinel / Fancy Spinel
Quantity: Single stone
Cut / Shape: Oval
Cut quality: Very Good
Clarity: Eye Clean
Treatment: None
Color: Pink
Origin: Tanzania Mahenge
Weight: 1.82 ct
Dimension: 7.7 x 5.9 x 4.95 mm
Price: $1365.00

Image 4
Reference: #ref12291
Variety: Spinel / Fancy Spinel
Quantity: Single stone
Cut / Shape: Pear
Cut quality: Very Good
Clarity: Lightly included
Treatment: None
Color: Pink (+/- red)
Origin: Tanzania - Mahenge
Weight: 1.61 ct
Dimension: 8.4 x 5.7 x 4.4 mm
Price: $1288.00

Thanks!!!

gemfix_1.jpg

gemfix_2.jpg

_17.jpg

_18.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of all the stones shown, I would request stone 2 to be shipped for review and I'll explain why.

Stone 1 = Although it look somewhat reddish in the picture, that neon glow doesn't come through in the picture.
Stone 2 = Awesome "in your face" colour is that neon glow. As you can tell, the pricing also reflects that.

If you do contact Andrew, you can ask for his opinion of both stones (which he can do fairly with both stones in hand), plus take a picture of the two stones side by side.

Stone 3 = Very pink but picture looks somewhat unrealistic. Would request hand shots.
Stone 4 = Although red, looks sort of drab and dull. Would request hand shots to be fair to the stone.

Again, since both stones are with Swala, request hand shots of both stones side by side.

Things to be aware of when buying from Swala. I'm not trying to dissuade you because I have made 2 purchases from them in the past but you don't want to be unpleasantly surprised later.
1. Very high shipping cost due to location, distance and etc.
2. Returns are also difficult and expensive but Eric may be able to have a local contact accept the stone back on your behalf, thereby taking care of the hassle and hazards of shipping the stone(s) to Africa.

Buying sight unseen is a risky endeavour but all it should be minimized at all costs.
1. Do they fluorescence? You absolutely want this characterstic because it adds a big punch when outdoors (exposed to UV)
2. Request hand shots as those tend to be the most realistic picture, especially using natural diffused lighting.
3. Ask if the picture(s) has been photoshopped. If yes, then make sure it is done not to make the stone look better but to more accurately reflect the actual colour.
4. Ask if the stone colour shifts indoors (fluorescent lighting). If so, does it turn orange or muddy? Some shift very slightly but some become very obviously orangey or a dirty pink colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An example of high quality Mahenge that we all can only dream of: 9.52 carats of pinkish red goodness.

952ctmahengespinelnomad.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I like the sleepy look and that is what first caught my eye with mahenge's
Like swala's stones..little extinction and a sleepy look..reminds me of rhodochrosite

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Please let us know what they look like in person b/c Swala has a lot of beautiful stone, but I've only ever had the guts to get stones from US vendors. In only one case do I feel I was misled (and I sent back the stone.)

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Thanks a MILLION chrono, that is exactly what i was hoping to find out. Ive contacted both vendors with request for the info you suggested. i really do want to get something with that neon glow. funny but, before i got too deep into pricescope, i thought of a nice mahenge would be red like the one you posted but after reading more here i began to think that a much more pink stone was what was expected. Works for me cause i love me some red.

will post pics of stones side by side when i get them.

p.s. if you happen to have any more fav mahenges i wouldnt mind seeing them one bit :love:

Chrono|1340502849|3222647 said:
Of all the stones shown, I would request stone 2 to be shipped for review and I'll explain why.

Stone 1 = Although it look somewhat reddish in the picture, that neon glow doesn't come through in the picture.
Stone 2 = Awesome "in your face" colour is that neon glow. As you can tell, the pricing also reflects that.

If you do contact Andrew, you can ask for his opinion of both stones (which he can do fairly with both stones in hand), plus take a picture of the two stones side by side.

Stone 3 = Very pink but picture looks somewhat unrealistic. Would request hand shots.
Stone 4 = Although red, looks sort of drab and dull. Would request hand shots to be fair to the stone.

Again, since both stones are with Swala, request hand shots of both stones side by side.

Things to be aware of when buying from Swala. I'm not trying to dissuade you because I have made 2 purchases from them in the past but you don't want to be unpleasantly surprised later.
1. Very high shipping cost due to location, distance and etc.
2. Returns are also difficult and expensive but Eric may be able to have a local contact accept the stone back on your behalf, thereby taking care of the hassle and hazards of shipping the stone(s) to Africa.

Buying sight unseen is a risky endeavour but all it should be minimized at all costs.
1. Do they fluorescence? You absolutely want this characterstic because it adds a big punch when outdoors (exposed to UV)
2. Request hand shots as those tend to be the most realistic picture, especially using natural diffused lighting.
3. Ask if the picture(s) has been photoshopped. If yes, then make sure it is done not to make the stone look better but to more accurately reflect the actual colour.
4. Ask if the stone colour shifts indoors (fluorescent lighting). If so, does it turn orange or muddy? Some shift very slightly but some become very obviously orangey or a dirty pink colour.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1340506261|3222675 said:
Please let us know what they look like in person b/c Swala has a lot of beautiful stone, but I've only ever had the guts to get stones from US vendors. In only one case do I feel I was misled (and I sent back the stone.)

absolutely, will post in hand pics. I have bought several stones internationally but mostly from thailand and the return isnt big deal. i really didnt realize what a hassle it would be to return to africa.... i love pricescope...sniff..

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Barrett|1340504999|3222670 said:
I like the sleepy look and that is what first caught my eye with mahenge's
Like swala's stones..little extinction and a sleepy look..reminds me of rhodochrosite

i like the sleepy look too though i could go eitherway on that character. the neon glow is what i really want to find in a stone. what turned me on to the mahenge in the first place was this sleepy Jim Rentfrow Spinel (attached). Not sure if its avail but way out of my pricerange. my husband prob wouldnt be thrilled much when he found out... :saint:

i got really excited when i saw swalas stones, but to be honest its an understatement to say im not the best at reading a picture so i should have asked BEFORE i charged the card. Eric at Swalas has been very helpful tho and assured me he wont send anything out before I get some additional info.

jren.png

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know if you've come across this thread, but here is some eye candy for you: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/[/URL]

I like the look of the Gemfix stones, but please let us know what the Swala stones look like in person. I've never bought from either vendor, so don't know how to interpret their pictures. Chrono's advice is good, about getting side by side hand shots from the vendors.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Ok got pics from Eric. He was very helpful on my small order and i decided to go with the pear he sent pics of (not photoshopped) attached. Both flourese and are neon.

Gemfix wasnt willing to provide additional pics. they said to order it and assess it yourself if i needed more info. thought that was strange but oh well. i would like to see their stone, but doubt i will order it unless i get the swalas and color is funkified or something.

attached are two similar pears that eric suggested. i chose the longer one which eric is holding in hand shot in the second pic.

swalas_stones.jpg

swalas.jpg

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
uhoh i need to retract what i said re gemfix in my previous post. i was in a hurry and mis wrote. i felt quite bad when i came back to read and saw how bi$chy my post sounded toward gemfix. I asked a moniter to remove it so it does not give the wrong impression. gemfix responded to all of my emails and answered every question that they could. however as i understand, it is their policy to not send any additional pics out. that was what i felt was strange but they have a good reason. my experience with them was professional and not at all negative like my previous post sounded. so i apologize and hope it is removed! bad bad bad.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Shushinator - that pear you are having sent to you is a dead ringer for the one I just got. See my post in "Vendor pictures and owner pictures', and my thread about my new Mahenge. Needless to say, I think it is :love: GORGEOUS!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope the pear works out for you. How long will it take to get to where you are? A week?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shushinator|1340666026|3223527 said:
uhoh i need to retract what i said re gemfix in my previous post. i was in a hurry and mis wrote. i felt quite bad when i came back to read and saw how bi$chy my post sounded toward gemfix. I asked a moniter to remove it so it does not give the wrong impression. gemfix responded to all of my emails and answered every question that they could. however as i understand, it is their policy to not send any additional pics out. that was what i felt was strange but they have a good reason. my experience with them was professional and not at all negative like my previous post sounded. so i apologize and hope it is removed! bad bad bad.
It annoys m e that GF won't send additional pictures as well. It's just a nice extra step in customer service that eh think they're above. Especially since the one time I decided to try them the stone was so completely different looking I thought for sure they'd made a mistake in packaging.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Jeweljunke|1340678507|3223637 said:
Shushinator - that pear you are having sent to you is a dead ringer for the one I just got. See my post in "Vendor pictures and owner pictures', and my thread about my new Mahenge. Needless to say, I think it is :love: GORGEOUS!

thanks :) eek im excited. i did see your stone on my searches and its beeeeautiful. i didnt see if you had set it yet?? even my husband got excited about getting this one set. we both agreed that an 18k yg setting, possibly oxidized with champagne pave stones on the band. maybe rose cut champagne diamonds if i can get them. dont think ill do the halo cause i want to keep the bling factor down.

im not usually a pear person, but for some reason the mahenges look so regal in that cut to me.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1340682061|3223660 said:
Hope the pear works out for you. How long will it take to get to where you are? A week?

im pretty sure it will. i havnt seen a stone from him i didnt like. not sure how long ill have to ask...

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
The gemfix mahenge is a beautiful photo and the stone does look bright and sparkly. I purchased a pink oval mahenge from them a few months ago and it's very pretty but the color irl isn't as deep as in the pics (sorry, didn't save any from gemfix site). They were very nice to deal with and I loved the glow of the stone in all lights so I kept it.

Recently I also prefer the pear shaped stones (I think it's from seeing some lovely ones on pc) and tried on some at local jewelers..... I look GOOD in pears :rodent:

I'm so glad that Swala was able to get you photos and the one on Eric's hand looks beautiful. Can't wait to see your pics.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
When I think of Mahenge I think of the stones Eric posted.....I think you did a good job!!!

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Barrett|1341025717|3226353 said:
When I think of Mahenge I think of the stones Eric posted.....I think you did a good job!!!

Thank you! I just got the stone so here are my pics. Im very happy with it. Glowy pinkish red with bright orange flashes. Love the cut, it sparkles like liquid from every angle. The first three pics are natural light, the last is indoors with some natural coming thru windows. Much redder indoors.

natural_light_1.jpg

natural_light_2.jpg

natural_light_3.jpg

indoors.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
gemfix responded to all of my emails and answered every question that they could. however as i understand, it is their policy to not send any additional pics out.

I find it amazing that vendors who expect to do business over the internet can actually have such a client-unfriendly policy.

I do understand there's no substitute for seeing a stone in person, but I don't think it's at all out of line to ask for a photo on the hand to get a "non-studio" set-up view. It's not exactly free (in credit card fees or return shipping) to just bring stones in gratuitously. :-/

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1340721040|3223790 said:
It annoys m e that GF won't send additional pictures as well. It's just a nice extra step in customer service that eh think they're above. Especially since the one time I decided to try them the stone was so completely different looking I thought for sure they'd made a mistake in packaging.

Athena, this happened to a friend of mine too - she ordered what looked to be a lovely blue stone, and it looked NOTHING like the website photos when she got it in hand. Promptly went back.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I like the sleepy look too though i could go eitherway on that character. the neon glow is what i really want to find in a stone. what turned me on to the mahenge in the first place was this sleepy Jim Rentfrow Spinel"

OMG that is my favourite Spinel ever! :love: It's my screensaver at work... :oops:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1341368776|3228295 said:
gemfix responded to all of my emails and answered every question that they could. however as i understand, it is their policy to not send any additional pics out.

I find it amazing that vendors who expect to do business over the internet can actually have such a client-unfriendly policy.

I do understand there's no substitute for seeing a stone in person, but I don't think it's at all out of line to ask for a photo on the hand to get a "non-studio" set-up view. It's not exactly free (in credit card fees or return shipping) to just bring stones in gratuitously. :-/

I agree. I have made quite a few purchases from Gemfix and several I have been very happy with. However, I can't tell you how much money I've spent in shipping and return shipping because a stone didn't look like the photo. And this goes for other vendors as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your very first post, you noted that you want a stone that represents the Mahenge traits, of which a secondary colour of orange isn't. Is this one a keeper even though it shows some orange outdoors? I'm a little puzzled by this one because good quality Mahenge usually look best outdoors (due to fluorescence), and if there is any orange shift, it is usually indoors.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1341489344|3228838 said:
In your very first post, you noted that you want a stone that represents the Mahenge traits, of which a secondary colour of orange isn't. Is this one a keeper even though it shows some orange outdoors? I'm a little puzzled by this one because good quality Mahenge usually look best outdoors (due to fluorescence), and if there is any orange shift, it is usually indoors.

i do see the orangyness in the pics but dont see it irl. sent my honey pics when i got it and when he saw the stone irl, he asked me 'so how do u take a photograph that actually looks like the stone' which may say something about my photography. I took another good look at it out doors and sat it next to a red spinel i have and still couldnt find the orange undertone that shows in esp the top pic. Does shift more to red indoors where the red spinel doesnt. Absolutely has a glow out doors sunny or no that it doesn't have indoors. The overall color of the stone is a pinkish red, again shifting to more red indoors than out. The comparison to the red spinel made that more obvious. By orange flashes, i mean the pricks of fire it shoots out appear pinkish orange to me, but maybe they would be considered pinkish red. I circled the 'orange flashes' i mentioned, but again are more orange in the pic than i could replicate irl. but whatever the color the thing is, its gorgeous and eric isnt getting it back!

orangeflasj.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! As pretty as it is in pictures I know it is even better in real life. Congrats!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Im generally not a big pink fan, but its amazing that something can come out of the ground looking so bright and neon...awesome!

Just for my own personal gratification, would you post a picture of the mahenge next to your red spinel? I am going red-spinel crazy lately...as I've now learned that they are available in non-brick red/garnety colors. I'd love to see the contrast between the mahenge and red spinel outdoors and indoors if you really feel like taking some more pics :)

Either way, congrats!

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
thanks lisarn:razz:

attached a pic for chrisa222. a bit blurry but you can see the color comparison.
ps. took with same camera and again has orangeish coloring.

spinels1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results