shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this yellow danburite?

What kind of setting would you use for this stone?

• Bezel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halo

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Prong

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
After 3 years of searching I finally found the right yellow stone for my wife. After almost a year of sitting on it we are still at a loss of what to do with it. Asked Gene if he has more material to cut a matching pair of stones for earrings and use this for a pendant, but no such luck.

Actual color is closest to the yellow in the vendor's picture. I still can't get better pictures of the color from my camera. There is almost no shift in color in different lighting that I can see. It looks saturated enough to be set in white metal.

So, how would you set it if it's your stone? 9+ mm in diameter, 7+ mm in depth, 5+ mm from girdle to culet. Is danburite sturdy enough to be set in an occasional wear right hand ring? Would the ring sit too high off the finger given the depth of the stone?

1584.jpg
danburite.png
danburitetilt.png
danburiteside.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps a halo of white diamonds surrounding the (yellow gold) prong set danburite?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone! I agree that a halo would be lovely but what are your thoughts?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold basket or prongs for sure. White or rose gold will not do anything for the color.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really is the perfect yellow :love:

I, too, agree w/ setting the stone itself in yellow gold prongs :sun: It's large, but not terribly deep from girdle to culet - certainly not deep enough to pose "wearability" concerns, I should think. That said I don't know anything about durability :sick:

I love the idea of a white halo! Perhaps single cuts to minimise the "twinkly white line" effect?

ETA: Perhaps an engraved white halo/bezel instead of one with stones like former JbEG's Lynda? The "old charm" of the engraving seems like it would suit Gene's faceting well ::)

_30924.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can visualise the stone in a pseudo vintage design by DiamondZone like these ones:

__12__84_.jpg
__12__74_.jpg

DK :))

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
:oops: Oops I forgot about starting this thread. So the consensus seems to be yellow gold prongs and a vintage type of setting?

To complicate things a bit I found a nicely colored, slightly smaller aquamarine over the holidays. Would you set the aquamarine or danburite first?

aquamarinedanburite.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones are stunning.
I would set whatever stone looks fabulous with your wife's skintone.

To give you an idea: I have set my 10-sided round Danburite from Gene in a 14K Yellow gold setting by Marc Williams:

_1396.jpeg

_1397.jpeg

_1398.jpeg

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I love your danburite!! What a beautiful yellow. I would set it first since it sounds like a yellow stone has been a long time coming :) However the aquamarine is a very pretty color and looks like it's very nicely cut as well! You can't go wrong either way.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My wedding ring is a 7mm white danburite in a very high setting. I have had no issues with it being too soft. I am sure she can wear it all of the time without a problem. The only thing I have noticed about them is they get dirty and loose luster quickly so I clean mine about once a week.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the ideas. Considering my wife's skin tone the aqua will probably be set first, and she can match it with her aqua pendant.

Both stones have taken a while to find. =) It was just as hard to find a well cut, nicely colored round aqua that's decently priced.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results