Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good Pun Chrono: "I've always mooned over them............." :clap:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1426690533|3849093 said:
[
The one I posted wasn't top, but a good example of what I like and can afford at the moment, but unlike the one you posted, does have some inclusions.

Trust me, I did not put that as an example of the 1% top stuff! The one you posted is a very good example in top color may be lacking the size.

btw, the one I posted wasn't exceptionally large either, only around 6cts. Exceptional ones above the 10ct mark are rare and thats where you spend the most money.

I was talking about the pear shaped one in the ring at the top, not the other example you posted. The oval you posted is a nice stone too if one doesn't mind inclusions, and I suspect it will be a baby blue IRL. Most of these moonstone sellers shoot with dim exposure, lighting, on a black background to enhance the color. This is why it's nice to use a halo, or heavy gallery, or dark stones/metal around a moonstone. It really helps bring out the color and patterns, as it does with some opals. Black opals already have a built in dark background, which is why they're so expensive. :)

The nice thing about moonstone is that one can still get a very lovely gem at an affordable price, unlike stones like alexandrite, or padparadscha, where the top stuff is still $$$$$ and even the mid-range stuff is still $$$$ and can be unattractive. Inclusions are more acceptable in moonstones as they are almost always cut in cabochons, and therefore, that cut lends itself to a higher tolerance for internal characteristics.

I think the stone I posted from fzpanda (a pricescoper) is magnificent and probably top 1%. I'm not an expert though.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1426694881|3849116 said:
Arcadian|1426690533|3849093 said:
[
The one I posted wasn't top, but a good example of what I like and can afford at the moment, but unlike the one you posted, does have some inclusions.

Trust me, I did not put that as an example of the 1% top stuff! The one you posted is a very good example in top color may be lacking the size.

btw, the one I posted wasn't exceptionally large either, only around 6cts. Exceptional ones above the 10ct mark are rare and thats where you spend the most money.

I was talking about the pear shaped one in the ring at the top, not the other example you posted. The oval you posted is a nice stone too if one doesn't mind inclusions, and I suspect it will be a baby blue IRL. Most of these moonstone sellers shoot with dim exposure, lighting, on a black background to enhance the color. This is why it's nice to use a halo, or heavy gallery, or dark stones/metal around a moonstone. It really helps bring out the color and patterns, as it does with some opals. Black opals already have a built in dark background, which is why they're so expensive. :)

The nice thing about moonstone is that one can still get a very lovely gem at an affordable price, unlike stones like alexandrite, or padparadscha, where the top stuff is still $$$$$ and even the mid-range stuff is still $$$$ and can be unattractive. Inclusions are more acceptable in moonstones as they are almost always cut in cabochons, and therefore, that cut lends itself to a higher tolerance for internal characteristics.

I think the stone I posted from fzpanda (a pricescoper) is magnificent and probably top 1%. I'm not an expert though.

Oh that one. hmm...i don't know actually. Its pretty nice and looks clean but its from the side and not really full on. I don't know where GIA got that image but I'd love to see more. From what I've read strictly on rainbow moonstones is that full rainbows are pretty expensive. That blue you posted was ridiculously gorgeous however! I would be colorwise its for sure in that top 1%.

Pretty on a budget is always good, and I'm glad that can be had with moonstone.

I've noticed that many moonstones are photoed on black backgrounds, read a bit on why which makes sense to me. Though putting a backing plate on a piece of jewlery...hmmm...that could be a delima waiting to happen.

Here's one on twistonline.com
http://cdn05.twistonline.com/resources/twist/images/products/processed/jo-rx17av.1_jamie_joseph_ring.zoom.jpg

I do wonder if that has a backing plate.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one has almost assuredly a black backing. I once inquired of a well known designer to ask about her moonstone earrings (deep blue pear drops bezeled in high karat gold) and was informed that they are foiled.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1426696011|3849130 said:
That one has almost assuredly a black backing. I once inquired of a well known designer to ask about her moonstone earrings (deep blue pear drops bezeled in high karat gold) and was informed that they are foiled.

If you don't see the blue floating at the top of the stone either, it's almost assuredly a black plate.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1426696011|3849130 said:

Thats too bad from a cleaning perspective.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1426683895|3849061 said:
@pregcurious, the moonstone was milky/shimmery. The picture does not do it justice, but I'm pretty sure it was traditional Orthoclase moonstone given its age. I'll be in DC this spring and plan on hitting up the smithsonian (how could I not!!) Anyone know if they allow pictures?
Yes, they allow pictures. I have posted some of the gemstone gallery before on PS. It would be great to have more pics!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Moonstone is one of, if not my favorite stones! They are so dreamy and magical, with such a romantic quality about them.

I've seen more rainbow moonstones of late, and while the schiller is quite alluring, I still prefer the moonstones of yesteryear for myself.

It's funny that this thread showed up as my FI just gifted me with my dream moonstone ring, for my right hand of course, and it's a circa 1920s Art Deco beauty from a French designer. The 7.3ct cabochon moonstone flashes from a silvery-blue to a medium blue, and in lower lighting shows rays of light (moonrays!) and a small star in the middle that look like they are floating above the ring - it's the coolest thing I've ever seen. Otherwise it's completely transparent, and you feel like you can see right through it, like it's a window into a magical world! Yes, corny I know, but moonstones inspire that in me!

I tried to get good home pictures of the blue flash, but I just can't seem to get it. So here's this picture instead:

artdeco_moonstone_topview.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BaileyC|1426861418|3850009 said:
It's funny that this thread showed up as my FI just gifted me with my dream moonstone ring, for my right hand of course, and it's a circa 1920s Art Deco beauty from a French designer. The 7.3ct cabochon moonstone flashes from a silvery-blue to a medium blue, and in lower lighting shows rays of light (moonrays!) and a small star in the middle that look like they are floating above the ring - it's the coolest thing I've ever seen. Otherwise it's completely transparent, and you feel like you can see right through it, like it's a window into a magical world! Yes, corny I know, but moonstones inspire that in me!

I tried to get good home pictures of the blue flash, but I just can't seem to get it. So here's this picture instead:

artdeco_moonstone_topview.jpg

Bailey,
Nice gift. Your ring is gorgeous!!! Do you have a side view?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. Do you have any pictures of it on your hand?

Is your wedding set from Green Lake?

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks TL! I'm not feeling all that well today, so I just took a few shots with my iPhone in different lighting so you can see. I tried on a silver tray, and a black surface, but they don't really do the stone much justice - it's SO hard to capture the beauty and color with a camera. Perhaps when I'm up to it, I'll work on getting better pics that more accurately reflect the blue flash of the stone. And it seems the star only comes out when I don't have a camera handy!

Here's what I came up with:

This one sort of shows the beginning of the silvery blue before it turns to a deeper blue:
moonstone_sideview.jpg

This shows the transparency of it pretty well, and a decent side view of the setting you were asking about:
moonstone_sideview1.jpg

I tried lower light to entice the blue, but I couldn't snap the pic in time to get the full-on blue:
moonstone_lowlight2.jpg

Edited to add hand shot at pregcurious's request:
img_0127_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BaileyC|1426864413|3850029 said:
Thanks TL! I'm not feeling all that well today, so I just took a few shots with my iPhone in different lighting so you can see. I tried on a silver tray, and a black surface, but they don't really do the stone much justice - it's SO hard to capture the beauty and color with a camera. Perhaps when I'm up to it, I'll work on getting better pics that more accurately reflect the blue flash of the stone. And it seems the star only comes out when I don't have a camera handy!

Here's what I came up with:

This one sort of shows the beginning of the silvery blue before it turns to a deeper blue:
moonstone_sideview.jpg

This shows the transparency of it pretty well, and a decent side view of the setting you were asking about:
moonstone_sideview1.jpg

I tried lower light to entice the blue, but I couldn't snap the pic in time to get the full-on blue:
moonstone_lowlight2.jpg

I recognized that ring (yes, I do browse a lot for jewelry/gems on the net), and I saw the vendor side photo of it. Absolutely gorgeous!! I'm so jealous. I love love love it.

Enjoy!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is amazing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHOA! Thats a gorgeous ring BailyC! :love: I've not bought a moonstone (yet) but I may be about to pull the trigger.

I adore that setting, its spectacular. I bet its a lot of fun to wear! Is the back of your setting open or is there a backing plate? From what I've seen that type of thing is all over the place.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People should note that blue moonstone can vary in shades of blue. I've seen pale blues, sky blues, baby blues, and deep royal blues like this one.

royal_blue_moonstone.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread wouldn't be complete if we didn't show some really poor examples of moonstone. While many are included, but still have nice sheen, and are still somewhat transparent, these are very poor "cheap" examples. They're hawked a lot by the shopping networks.

If you watch the video, it's quite funny how she talks about the blue and "rainbow colors" that are barely visible. I think these are nice for inexpensive bead work, but not much else. Oh, the shopping channels (I need a laugh once in a while).

http://www.hsn.com/products/rarities-rainbow-moonstone-and-white-zircon-ring/7700005?variant=7700007

-_410983_1_.jpg

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Awww, thanks so much TL, pregcurious and Arcadian! I too absolutely adore the setting, and after staring at it for a long while, I've decided it looks just like the base of the Eiffel Tower with a dreamy moonstone on top of it! Hopefully my FI won't read this thread cause I just got my engagement ring not that long ago (and it's gorgeous too), but this one is my favorite piece EVER. It's unique, has history, and I adore the beauty in the unusual. Since I wanted a sapphire for the wedding set, he said that he wanted to get me my dream moonstone with savings from not going with a diamond. He's a sweetheart, and a keeper, though I didn't need either ring to know that!

Yes, it is open on the back. If you look through the back of the ring you can see the platinum frame that holds the sapphires in, and the bottom of the moonstone. There's no backing at all - it's transparent.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, no no no, not that ugly thang. :naughty: I try very hard not to watch HSN and the like when they're showing gemstones because I just end up yelling at the screen :angryfire: Heck I wonder if thats even really moonstone. That looks like spit wads. There's that white labradorite from India, and thats what it looks like to me...like a bad example of it too.

The waterdrop though.... :love: :appl: :cheeky: Gorgeous. That would be gorgeous in the right type of setting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1426874561|3850150 said:
TL, no no no, not that ugly thang. :naughty: I try very hard not to watch HSN and the like when they're showing gemstones because I just end up yelling at the screen :angryfire: Heck I wonder if thats even really moonstone. That looks like spit wads. There's that white labradorite from India, and thats what it looks like to me...like a bad example of it too.

The waterdrop though.... :love: :appl: :cheeky: Gorgeous. That would be gorgeous in the right type of setting!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are so right.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BaileyC, It looks like you can put your LED key light away when you are wearing that ring! It is BEAUTIFUL and truly magical! That's the definition of a statement piece..............CONGRATS!! :love: :appl:

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
You guys are cracking me up. "Spitwads" ha ha ha. :lol: I thought the best part of that video for the spitwad ring was the sound of the man's British accent - can they bottle and sell that instead? It is the HSN, they do sell just about everything, right? :naughty:

Thanks so much digdeep!! And methinks you may be right about a new light source - my own private, decorative penlight. Or Paris nightlight.

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
We had a large amount of student loan debt when we got engaged. We bought this "rainbow moonstone" beauty for $175... But the plan was to upgrade one day. Now that we can afford it, I'm reluctant to replace my e-ring! I've grown rather attached to it :)

But the setting is sterling silver, which I know might not last forever...

Edit: I think the upload of photos didn't work? This link also shows it: http://ringmaven.com/2014/04/30/put-a-ring-on-that-finger/

imageuploadedbytapatalk1426881562.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1426881573.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
ringmaven|1426881651|3850251 said:
We had a large amount of student loan debt when we got engaged. We bought this "rainbow moonstone" beauty for $175... But the plan was to upgrade one day. Now that we can afford it, I'm reluctant to replace my e-ring! I've grown rather attached to it :)

Edit: I think the upload of photos didn't work? This link also shows it: http://ringmaven.com/2014/04/30/put-a-ring-on-that-finger/
I love your ring ringmaven. What a beautiful design, I love how the pear sits in the peak of the ring. So elegant!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
I love it ringmaven!!! I agree with ricezo that it's very elegant and it really really suits your hand! I've had plenty of silver stand the test of time, and there's certainly sentimental value added to all it's beauty too!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringmaven|1426881651|3850251 said:

Thats a great design and it looks great on you! :appl: And you know, even though you may upgrade it, it doesn't mean you have to get rid of it right? :bigsmile: ;))

I think most of us have upgraded a time or 2 (or 4 :lol: )

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BaileyC|1426881517|3850248 said:
You guys are cracking me up. "Spitwads" ha ha ha. :lol: I thought the best part of that video for the spitwad ring was the sound of the man's British accent - can they bottle and sell that instead? It is the HSN, they do sell just about everything, right? :naughty:

Thanks so much digdeep!! And methinks you may be right about a new light source - my own private, decorative penlight. Or Paris nightlight.

Spitwads are better my original thought, which was bukkake bubbles. (For those that don't understand, I'm not going to explain that, just google it!!)

I cried real tears when he said "look at the delicacy of the prong settings" For serious? no dude, just no.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1426889895|3850327 said:
BaileyC|1426881517|3850248 said:

Spitwads are better my original thought, which was bukkake bubbles. (For those that don't understand, I'm not going to explain that, just google it!!)

I cried real tears when he said "look at the delicacy of the prong settings" For serious? no dude, just no.

She also explained the "glow" (what glow??) on those spitwads as "chatoyancy," but it's actually "adularescence" in reference to moonstones (unless they're specifically cat's eye moonstones). It's funny when they have people that don't know about the product, selling it. :roll:

BaileyC

Rough_Rock

But, but...he said it in a British accent, so it MUST be good, right? :sick:

TL, spitwads can glow too ya know. Saliva has an iridescent quality to it doncha know...:cheeky:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BaileyC|1426891213|3850343 said:

But, but...he said it in a British accent, so it MUST be good, right? :sick:

TL, spitwads can glow too ya know. Saliva has an iridescent quality to it doncha know...:cheeky:

LOL!

Oh, I could just go on and on about the hideous gems I see on the shopping networks. We could start a whole new thread, but I won't. I actually like watching Gem Shopping Network because they sometimes have really beautiful things, including nice moonstone, but HSN, QVC, etc. . . not so much. You figure, if you're mass producing something to hundreds, or thousands of people, it can't be the best quality because beautiful items are rare, and there's not that much to go around. They often sell poor quality or highly treated gems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results