shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with the engagement ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
I am deciding what sort of engagement ring that I would like to have made to give to my girlfriend when I propose in the near future and I''''d like some advice from all of you tasteful people!

My current thought is something like a traditional Edwardian cluster ring with one main stone in the centre with smaller ones surrounding it.

She''''s a yellow gold person, her birthday is in January and she loves green jewels, so I was thinking of having a Round brilliant in the centre, surrounded by maybe 10 or 12 of the mid-green (therefore very sparkly) demantoid garnets around the edge.

What are your thoughts on my initial idea? I''''m very conscious of the fact that it could get too colourful and therefore tacky - do you think that this is the case?
What about having the setting in Platinum or White Gold? Millegrain around the setting?

Or wipe slate clean and try again?

I''''d really appreciate any views on this - I promise to supply photos when I''''ve had it made.

SB

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi sb,

Before we delve into setting choices, let me ask you this. What does she like, has she expressed interest in any particular type of setting, and stone?

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
The only real preference that she''s expressed is that she prefers yellow gold. She tends to like quite classic, luxurious styles as far as clothing and jewellery go.

As far as the setting go, she''s expressed no preference, but I think I''ll know what she''ll like when I see it. We tend to agree on the aesthetics of most things.

I''d like it to be a diamond centre stone, and was initially thinking of a generic asscher, but I''m now thinking that at the size that I can afford, a RB may be better. I could probably go for a Very Good Cut, 0.7ct, F, VS2.

As far as rings I''ve seen on here go, I like the halo rings and I also quite like split shoulders.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does she know you are proposing soon? If so, take her to look at some rings in your local stores. Get a better idea of what she likes before you proceed....
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi sbb,

Welcome to Pricescope!

Since you she likes green stones and yellow gold, what about a three stone ring with a white diamond center and demantoid/green tsavorite sides? Here''s a great idea of what I''m talking about:

sarahthewarrior''s diamond/tsavorite ring

Another thing to consider might be using a green stone as a surprise diamond somewhere in the setting that isn''t glaringly obvious, but somewhere still visible so she can show people. This might be an option if you know she likes green stones but aren''t sure if she''d want to wear them every day. One of the great things about diamonds for us ladies is that they''re white/clear, so they "go" with practically everything.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I love the 3 stone! Vote for that or something like it!

wen104

Shiny_Rock
You could do something simple with a solitaire and have a eternity band done with diamonds and green stones as a wedding band! Just a thought
emotion-40.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
As a green e-ring girl myself, a few thoughts...

Demantoids are pretty rare and pricey, so I''m not sure it would be easy to find enough matched stones for a halo.

I would probably go for an rb centre stone with tsavorite pears.

I think the tsavs would be better than the demantoids - I love the colour of demantoids, but they are a specific taste, they can look very ''neon'' green - good tsavorites are an easier shade to wear and can look very sophisticated. They will also be easier to find and match.

Personally I wouldn''t go for a cluster ring unless you know she loves them - they can look quite dated and 1980''s especially if they are in yellow gold.

If you were going for a green centre stone, a diamond halo would look spectacular, but a green halo round a diamond centre is not a safe choice if you are buying without her specific input.

sbb1979

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much for all of your help on this. I wasn''t aware that Demantoids can look neon - certainly not a look that I''m going for. I will definitely look into the possibility of getting Tsavs instead.

Pandora - when you say that a green centre stone with diamond halo would be spectacular, but a diamond centre with a green halo would not be a safe choice - why is this? I would have thought that moving from a diamond centre stone to a different stone would be more of a decision that would need her input - or are there specific reasons why the green halo wouldn''t work, or would be more of a specific taste than a green centre?
I quite like the idea of the one in this picture, but with micropave tsavs/demantoids around the RB instead of channel set emeralds.

I like the idea of the RB diamond centre and tsav pears. I''ll look into that too...

ChannelsetemeraldsSBB.jpg

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
From further investigation, I'm definitely now thinking that those Tsavs are lovely, and there seem to be much more of them around of a decent quality - anyway, it will be down to the jeweller to find good ones I suppose.

Also, do those of you who have coloured engagement rings find it a problem in that the colour won't necessarily go with what you're wearing, but you'll want to wear the ring all/most of the time?

I really appreciate your input on this. She does know that I'm going to propose within the next 6 months or so, and she's said that she'd prefer me to choose the ring, so I'm going to spend a lot of time researching what's out there and what she likes until I get to the right ring for her, but as I say we do have complementary styles.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 11:37:18 AM
Author: sbb1979

Also, do those of you who have coloured engagement rings find it a problem in that the colour won't necessarily go with what you're wearing, but you'll want to wear the ring all/most of the time?

I think this is the biggest issue with colored stones in engagement rings for most women. However, if she loves green (is crazy about green!), she might WANT to wear it all the time. Not all women want just diamonds. Many adore the rich blue of sapphires and choose to incorporate them into their rings somehow. Only you know her level of love for the color.
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a cushion cut with a platinum split shank channel set with melee. Pictures will be posted at Xmas.
28.gif

I wear it all the time and don't really care if it goes or not. I tend to match my coloured stone earrings to my clothes, but my e-ring is different. Green also goes with pretty much anything.

That is why coloured stone e-rings need to look like e-rings not cocktail rings.

The reason I said it wasn't a safe choice is because a coloured halo is something that needs to be chosen by the person wearing it IMHO. If you know whe wants a green stone as the main ring - playing with the diamonds is simple, not so vice-versa.

I adore coloured stones, but while I would have been thrilled with a diamond halo round a tsav centre, I would have hated coloured round a diamond. It's a personal thing, but i think it looks more dress ring than e-ring. If the coloured stones are the secondary stones than I prefer pears or similar.

Basically, this is why I think it's nuts that men choose the e-ring on their own. Surprise proposal (with no hint of anything coming) and ring-shopping together is very romantic I think. I do find it a bit odd when girls are going mad over the LIW process when they know the ring is being made. I had no idea at all that my FI was about to propose. I was hoping he would, but had no idea when or how.

Have you seen this one by the way...
2111-A.JPG

Just out of interest, are you based in the UK? (I saw your post in the London Proposal thread. Not many non-londoners know about Toptable in my experience...)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Pandora posted one of my favorite rings -- Pokey''s tsavorite cushion with a pave diamond split shank. Yum! Here are more pictures of that amazing ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-daniel-k-tsavorite-pictures-inside.46511/

I also think a 3-stone ring with a round diamond center and pear shaped tsavorite side stones in a trellis setting would be gorgeous. I am attaching a picture of zoebartlett''s lovely trellis ring -- just picture it with green side stones. I know someone on PS has a similar ring with sapphire sides, but I can''t find it now. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-engagement-ring-pictures-finally.62511/

ZoesRing.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m going to buck the curve by putting a vote in for the colored halo: I think the channel-set halo is an absolutely gorgeous look, very Art Deco. If that''s her style, I bet she''ll love it ....

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to have to agree with Circe. If I''d been offered something like that Leon Mege with the green halo, I''d have keeled over in joy.

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 2:28:09 AM
Author: Selkie
I'm going to have to agree with Circe. If I'd been offered something like that Leon Mege with the green halo, I'd have keeled over in joy.
It is stunning isn't it! I think that if I could manage to get anything like that made then I'd be doing very well.......will definitely take that photo to the jewellers that I speak to as the inspiration behind what I want to have done.

The Tsav centre stone is also absolutely beautiful and I love the split shank.

I know that my girlfriend wouldn't worry about it looking more like a dress ring than an engagement ring. Some of the rings that she's expressed an interest in looked nothing like engagement rings in the traditional sense, others did. In the end, she wants something that matches her style and I'm confident that when I see that I'll know.

Pandora - yes, I'm a Londoner and Toptable is very useful isn't it - some great deals at some very good restaurants. Haven't decided where or when I'm going to propose yet - will probably be somewhere in London, but I'm still waiting for the inspiration - and also for the ring....

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
I know its not a ring, but I absolutely love the colour combination of the yellow gold, diamonds and tsavs in this bracelet.

40-1-1066.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 4:41:52 AM

Pandora - yes, I''m a Londoner and Toptable is very useful isn''t it - some great deals at some very good restaurants. Haven''t decided where or when I''m going to propose yet - will probably be somewhere in London, but I''m still waiting for the inspiration - and also for the ring....
I took FI to ''The Lobster Pot'' in Kennington last week for his birthday.

It doesn''t look like much from outside, but it is THE BEST fish I have ever had in London. Not that cheap, but worth every penny. Restaurant is a bit nuts, run by Herve who''s a mad Breton, portholes with fish swimming behind them and seagull noises!

Are you going to do the ring in the US or UK? Are you going to go with Leon???

I would recommend the US 150%, I really trust the vendors here and the exchange rate is good for us right now!
31.gif
Also I haven''t found a jeweller in the UK capable of finding me a top-quality tsav. Most of them have never even heard of one - Wink found me mine, and I got to approve it via videolink before I bought it.

All my comments in posts above are based purely on my own feelings - I am super-picky on every detail and have very definite likes and dislikes (hence why my FI proposed sans ring!).

If your GF has quite untraditional taste then I would say go with the halo - you will know what she likes better than anyone!
And it''s a really beautiful ring.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
sbb, I don''t usually care for colored halos around white centers, but the Leon Mege ring you posted is an amazing ring. If that is the look you want, you should consider having Leon make it for you. With the current exchange rate, it may work out as well as (or better than) having a local jeweler try to make it for you. Leon is a master craftsman, and if you have someone else try to re-create the look, you may be disappointed in the result.

One thing to keep in mind, and to discuss with the designer, is the scale of the ring. Part of what makes the ring work is the balance between the diamond center and the thin green halo. The Leon ring contains a 2 carat diamond center. I am not sure the design will work as well with a 0.7 carat center.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
sbb1979,
I haven''t seen the ring with the green halo, but I''ve seen the matching earrings, which are lovely.

Pandora,
I am looking forward to the unveiling of your ring. Do you have more pictures of your beautiful tsavorite?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I do have a few - I''ll crop them down so as not to spoil the ring surprise for you all!

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 4:55:04 PM
Author: Kay
sbb, I don''t usually care for colored halos around white centers, but the Leon Mege ring you posted is an amazing ring. If that is the look you want, you should consider having Leon make it for you. With the current exchange rate, it may work out as well as (or better than) having a local jeweler try to make it for you. Leon is a master craftsman, and if you have someone else try to re-create the look, you may be disappointed in the result.

One thing to keep in mind, and to discuss with the designer, is the scale of the ring. Part of what makes the ring work is the balance between the diamond center and the thin green halo. The Leon ring contains a 2 carat diamond center. I am not sure the design will work as well with a 0.7 carat center.
I have actually just heard back from Leon and it is sounding that it may indeed be possible (financially) for me to get him to make the ring.

One thing that he did say is that getting Tsavs would cost the same as the Emeralds in the picture because they''ll have to be cut especially. Now, I''d chosen Tsavs because garnets are the birthstone of January (and I think that I''ll still go with this thought), but does anyone think that the Emeralds would be better?

One question about buying a ring in the US. Obviously I need to get fully insured postage when I get it shipped over here, but what are the import duty implications? I am certainly willing to pay a premium (if necessary) to get Leon to make the ring, but I need to work out how much of a premium (if any) that will actually be.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Dear SBB,
The rings you are looking at are so gorgeous! As someone whose FI purchased a lovely surprise sapphire ERing, I have to chime in that color is wonderful, exciting, and goes with skin so it goes with everything. Just a thought to perhaps consider when selecting a ring...what to do about the wedding band... Your GF might be thrilled to wear her engagement ring on her right hand once you are married, or perhaps you won''t want/need a wedding band at all with all that sparkly loveliness, but either way, do think about it in particular if you are having something made. Your designer could work a band into his final design or something amazing! Whatever you do come up with will be fantastic.

Just a thought from someone who loves her ring but can''t figure out what to do for a band.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I love the green center stone with the split shank diamond band....I vote for that one!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, so i'm the crazy one with the large orange engagement ring.......but i don't buy the get a colorless diamond because it will go with everything. personally, i like that my e-ring is distinctive and i'm not going to see anyone wearing one just like it. i don't mind that i don't wear orange except perhaps as one of the colors in a scarf. i don't mind wearing my orange e-ring with whatever i happen to be wearing. but that is me.....so my advice is to make sure your future bride is equally unconcerned about such things before you buy her an e-ring with any color stones in it.

having said all that, i have to say that the rings posted here with green stones are absolutely exquisite.....and i think wearable with anything any time. i'm not smitten with halo's but that one with the green halo is divine. and what's not to like about pandora's ring?!

making sure she wants a color stone e-ring is paramount......but i also think that a woman who is going to go the nontraditional color stone e-ring route is probably going to want to be involved in selecting the stone as well as the setting.

one other piece of advice: get educated re color stones! quality color stone doesn't mean inexpensive. many of us have color stones of equal or greater quality and value as those with great diamonds. if you have a budget for a diamond ring, keep that budget and buy the very best color stone you can. yes, there are bargains to be had but most of us aren't educated or experienced enough re color stones to do it all on our own. personally, i found that most jewelers aren't that great with color stones either. find out as much as you can and try and find someone to work with that understands the amount of $$ you're willing to spend and the quality that is important for you for this special ring.

good luck.....and i hope to see pictures of a really gorgeous color stone e-ring soon!

movie zombie

ps stick with the tsavorites! emerals are just to darn prone to fracture.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Go with tsavs - they are 200 times rarer than emeralds for a start. Less included, much more sparkly and harder.

You can also put them in an Ultrasonic - (I put mine in with no problems), you must NEVER put emeralds in one. I did FSIL''s e-ring with emerald side-stones and she wishes I had chosen tsavs. She even says she be happy if they do break so she can have them replaced!

sbb1979

Rough_Rock
So many decisions - and the more I think about it, the more I get to think about!

My number one option now is a three stone ring with two pear cut Tsavs on the side - set in yellow gold (as 90% of Hanna''s jewellery is yellow and I like the three colours together - I''d like mid-green Tsavs because I prefer them to the dark ones in this combination). I''ve found a lovely absolutely Ideal cut 0.75ct H colour diamond with 8 lovely hearts and 8 lovely arrows.

I don''t want the stones to sit up too high. I think the setting pictured is pretty much what I''m looking for and I''m seeing a reputable jeweller in London tomorrow about having it made for me.

As I''m narrowing the design down more detailed things come to me - such as, if I''ve got 8 arrows in the diamond, should I get an 8 prong basket to hold it, and what would be better for the light flow - to have the prongs in line with the arrows, or not? Any opinions? Or am I being too pedantic?

Lovely Three Stone Setting 2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 12:54:31 PM
Author: EBree
Date: 11/22/2007 11:37:18 AM

Also, do those of you who have coloured engagement rings find it a problem in that the colour won''t necessarily go with what you''re wearing, but you''ll want to wear the ring all/most of the time?

I think this is the biggest issue with colored stones in engagement rings for most women. However, if she loves green (is crazy about green!), she might WANT to wear it all the time. Not all women want just diamonds. Many adore the rich blue of sapphires and choose to incorporate them into their rings somehow. Only you know her level of love for the color.
2.gif

Hello! I thought I''d throw my $.02 in on this little question. I love blue. Anyone who knows me at all, knows this. I have blue in my kitchen, living room, bedroom, office, and bathroom. Those are all the rooms in my condo. My Christmas tree is covered in blue lights and blue ornaments. My car is blue. I buy all cute blue shoes or heels that I see. I seem to collect blue clothes as well, and someday will probably have blue on my wedding gown, if it''s not all blue to begin with. So you can see that I love blue...

Having said that, sometimes the only blue I wear on certain days would be the blue topaz rings that I wear everyday. Recently I bought a tanzanite ring, so I''ve been wearing a peridot oval stacked with a princess tanz on my left hand middle finger, and a swiss blue topaz trillion on my right hand middle finger. And while I''ll take the tanz and peridot off, I always wear the topaz. I originally wanted a diamond because of the colorless factor, and it being my birthstone doesn''t hurt either, but one day I looked down at my fingers and realized that I was wearing a swiss blue topaz on one hand and a london blue topaz on the other hand. And they''d both been there for 3 months. That was when I decided that I wanted a blue topaz e-ring. So that''s what I''m getting.

I think that if she wears green all the time, or if the jewelry she prefers is green. Have you spoken with her about this at all? Is her favorite color green?

I say stick with the tsavs too. I was going to get a itsy bitsy tsav ring from Tiffany''s but I think they discontinued it.
7.gif
Regardless, they''re gorgeous and her birthstone to boot!

As for sitting up too high, I''m with you on that one, I''d go as low as possible just because I know I''d be catching it on everything.
20.gif
And the 8 prongs--no. I wouldn''t do that, from what I''ve learned here is that it will block too much light going into the diamond, so I would go with 4 prongs and make sure they are lined up with the alternating 4 arrows. However, that is probably the least secure of them, so you''ll need to make sure that the prongs are very secure in holding the diamond and that she gets them checked out on a regular basis.

I think what you''re planning on getting sounds great!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
IF it's done by Leon, I'd LOVE and ADORE that halo. However, a three stone with pears (also with the setting and tsavs sourced by Leon as he has access to LOVELY colored stones, a great eye, and the NICEST three stones settings I've ever seen) is also lovely, though for me, a little less daring. It's the 'safer' choice, but the halo is by far the more arresting. If it were me? I'd want the halo. Unless you get a gorgeous oval .70 diamond (which would face up close to a .9 round brilliant) then I'd do half moon sides and throw the lot over for that. I LOVE oval and half moon three stones, and ovals give you so much bang for the buck.

Definitely in the tsav camp over here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results