shape
carat
color
clarity

Have a pretty large budget for a sapphire e-ring, can''t decide whether to buy already made or custo

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,
I''ve been lurking for a little while and have been devouring all of the sapphire threads in the forum and I finally decided to "unlurk" and ask the opinions of the extremely knowledgeable members here.

This may be a little long. My apologies in advance.

My boyfriend has given me a pretty size-able budget for my sapphire e-ring ($13,000-ish) and as I have been going through the many threads regarding sapphires, I have come to the conclusion that I am just unsure which direction I want to go in. I truly do not know much about sapphires, just what I have been able to absorb when reading about them and the information I have gleaned from this forum.

Some of the more experienced members can see things in a sapphire from a picture that I wouldn''t even pretend to recognize. Because of that, I do not want to be taken for a ride when it comes to making a decision on a loose sapphire or even on a pre-made ring.

I suppose I should list the minimum specs I want in my ring and go from there:

1) I would like it to be between 3 1/2- 4 1/2 carats...more towards 4 1/2 as much as possible
2) I am most drawn to a cushion cut stone that is/would be placed in a halo setting

A ring that looks similar to this, though not necessarily that color:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/watermarkJD.aspx?img=images/Jewelry/Ring/J223_1.jpg

Here is where I become unsure. I have read that obviously sapphires/colored gemstones are first based on color and cut is second - to - third in importance. Now, I know that color preference is different for everyone and is highly subjective however my feeling is that if my boyfriend is going to be spending this much on my ring, I want to get the best possible stone for my budget. I DO know that I don''t want an overly dark sapphire, but more along the lines of a true blue that is vibrant and vivid in color, even if I have to go towards the lighter end of the scale.

Secondly. Should I definitely be looking for a loose sapphire and putting the bulk of the budget towards it? Or since my choice for having a halo setting is pretty standard, would I have better luck looking at pre-made rings?

The reason why I suppose I am so nervous about purchasing a loose stone is I wouldn''t know if I am choosing a quality stone for the money and I don''t have any personal recommendations for trusted jewelers/cutters in my area that deal largely with sapphires (I am in Los Angeles).

ANY ideas, opinions ,etc. would be GREATLY appreciated and I thank you all for creating and contributing to such an informational forum.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Look at a few sites, and post the pictures here. These guys know cut really well, and will help you get the perfect stone. My strongest suggestion is that you get a certified stone by a reputable lab... I have found it MUCH less expensive purchasing gems loose, and buying a ring to suit. I would put my money in the gem.

This is an example of what I consider to be the finest in blue sapphires. It is a Kashmir.

http://www.kashmirblue.com/Sapphire/Certs/profileLG10281.html

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much soberguy! That is an excellent idea. I will be hunting for a handful of what I would think are quality stones.

And thank you for providing the link, what a gorgeous colored sapphire!!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
I saw that in my search earlier today!! It''s GORGEOUS, albeit smaller than what I would like.

Here is where my obvious lack of sapphire knowledge comes into play: I noticed when looking at the Kashmir sapphires next to say a Ceylon sapphire, the Kashmir one is a true blue (which I love) but it also has a bit of...opaqueness? (I think that''s what word I am looking for) compared to some that have more of a sparkle to them. Is the opaqueness more sought after, or is it just something that one accepts when buying a Kashmir sapphire because that is inherent to all of them? I know these questions must be elementary but I felt so overwhelmed this weekend looking at so many stones and feeling more confused than when I began!

Thanks so much again for the links/help you have been providing :D

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/17/2010 3:54:21 AM
Author: RebeccaMUA

Here is where my obvious lack of sapphire knowledge comes into play: I noticed when looking at the Kashmir sapphires next to say a Ceylon sapphire, the Kashmir one is a true blue (which I love) but it also has a bit of...opaqueness? (I think that's what word I am looking for) compared to some that have more of a sparkle to them. Is the opaqueness more sought after, or is it just something that one accepts when buying a Kashmir sapphire because that is inherent to all of them?

Kashmir sapphires have very small and well distributed "silk" inclusions which give the stones their "velvety" appearance and also reflect light internally, making the stones glow. In addition they have the most intense blue color that one can imagine. This feature of these sapphires is more sought after, than something one accepts as a detriment. I'm afraid that the stones which have been linked to are quite far above your budget, as they are exceptional examples of stones which are much sought after and rarely even show up on the market. Just a guess, but I'd imagine that either of these sapphires would cost over $50,000 maybe close to $100,000, (you could always make an inquiry...maybe they'll be having a "sale").

There are a number of very nice sapphires available in your price range, though not too many show up on websites, as they are typically held by wholesale suppliers who are not selling on line and provide them to retailers based on verbal description. Basically you decide what you want, tell your jeweler and they can get them in for you to look at. This is an expensive process and so if you are particular about cut and color you should let requirements be known immediately so that time and money are not spent in obtaining stones which are outside of your requirements. Colors in this price and size range from pure blue to blues having green or violet overtones, (you really can't see green in them, they just fall to that side of the color spectrum). I would suggest looking for stones with the best clarity and cutting possible and if you want a 4.5 carat stone, to expect to compromise somewhere, (when comparing it to stones in the 3+ carat size range).

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Michael E,
Thank you so much for your response! I think you are absolutely right about going into a physical jeweler and going from there. A voice in the back of my head telling me that for as much as the boyfriend will be spending, the sapphire is something we should see in person before making any type of decision.

A question regarding jewelers-would I need to find someone who works specifically in colored gemstones? My boyfriend doesn''t live too far from the Los Angeles jewelry district and there are TONS of jeweler booths and stores there...I just don''t know if I should be looking for someone who specifically deals in colored gems.

Again, thank you so much for your honest advice.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You don't need to go into a B&M jeweler, but if you decide to buy on-line you should probably find a gemologist/appraiser who can verify that what you have is what you bought. Either they or the jeweler you choose should have a microscope, and know how to use it, to let you look at your stone closely and explain why it does not show any evidence of heating. Finding such a person in LA should be really easy. The first thing that I'd do is to look up "gemologist" in the phone book and see if anyone's advertising that way. Many of us who are gemologist's got into this from a love of colored gems and so keep up to date on the various details surrounding them and have the tools help you.

stci

Ideal_Rock
You''re lucky Rebecca!!!! Good luck to find the most beautiful sapphire ring!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun project for you. The Kashmir blue sapphires are beautiful. I really like that color. I would pick the stone first then find a setting you want. Can''t wait to see what you get.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Rebecca, glad to have you and congrats on the ring.

I was going to point out to you that since you live in Los Angeles, there are some good deals to be had at the jewelry district there.

I have a different perspective from some of the other posters here: I have paid far more for custom design and fabrication than I ever would have for an already made ring.

With your budget (quite nice) I would first go to the top jewelers in Los Angeles and see what kind of sapphire ring your budget will buy. Ask the jeweler to speak to you specifically and completely about the quality of the sapphire. If they have others loose on hand or access to, they will speak to that.

Now that you have that information, start looking at loose sapphires from some of the reputable cutters here on PS. In my opinion, with that quality of a center stone, for setting I would look to Brian Gavin diamonds and Whiteflash. I''m sure other PS-ers can give you additional recommendations for the setting with jewelers who routinely work with the big ticket gemstones.

Now, with estimates from both quarters (retail jewelers and loose sapphire/custom setting) you can make your best decision.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rebecca and welcome!

A couple of ideas for you:-

1. Firstly post up pictures you''ve found of the colour that you like. People can then tell you (generally) if it''s considered to be top class, middle of the range or easy to find. Colour is king with coloured gemstones as you''ve found out BUT you should still only buy something that screams "love me" at you!

2. Next, you need to know that sapphires can vary in the actual visual size depending on how they''re cut. So, for example, if you have a 2ct sapphire with a deep cut it will normally face up smaller than a shallow cut stone. So rather than focus on carat weight have you thought about an actual size in mm?

3. The ring you posted as an inspiration is actually very similar to Tiffany''s Legacy setting. If you want to splash out on the sapphire and get a very nice setting at a reduced cost, you can source one of these settings from LOGR (do a search and you''ll see them all over this forum - you''ll also see tons of photos of their Legacyesque type settings). If you do go down this route then you MUST upgrade the diamonds to make sure you make the most of your setting!

Hope that helps and happy window shopping!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
If you do decide to go to stores in the jewelry district, arm yourself in the facts well here. Ask them if you can take pictures. Ask them if the gem has been certified by a reputable lab. Ask them about any/all treatments that may have been performed on the stone etc. I also never buy a ring/gem the same day I see it lol!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Michael E-thank you SO much for the advice about finding a gemologist and if they know how to use a microscope to explain things to me. I would never have known to ask that. I shall do a gemologist search a.s.a.p. I can tell you love what you do :)

Sylvie-Thank you so much! So kind of you. I am lucky to have him :) he has a huge heart and lots of love to give me and that''s all I ask for. But, if he wants to spend that much on a ring for me then I certainly won''t neglect him that ;-)

marcyc-THank you very much! While I am sure it will become more fun the more I learn, I have to say this forum has been a wealth of information for an overwhelmed me :)

stoniegirl-Thank you for the welcome :) You actually just gave me an idea as well. I live about 10 minutes away from an ethnic district warningly named "little India". they have some AMAZING jewelry stores there and I may start there with my search to see what they tell me and how correct they are etc. Cut my teeth there so to speak :)

LovingDiamonds-I think I will do that. The board has been down, so I wasn''t able to post any pictures to my original second or third post. I suppose my biggest "unsure-ness" in choosing/seeing stones online is that I am attracted to stones that have a vivid-cornflower blue coloring, but I see sapphires that are lighter in color and they seem to have SUCH a sparkle which I don''t see in the deeper sapphires. Would/Should/Could I get a more vivid sapphire recut to give it a little sparkle? Or is that a no-no with such colored sapphires?

Soberguy-I will DEFINITELY bring a camera to any of our excursions, and I don''t think my boyfriend would want me to choose anything with out having exhausted our options, lol

I know I keep saying this, but everyone really has been so helpful and kind. As always, thank you so much! I will be posting pictures later today.

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
So as promised, here are some examples of the color of stone I like. Any information such as "sapphire 1 is poorly cut because", etc. would greatly help me understand it all so much more. Thank you in advance.

This first picture is the style I would like my ring to be

ringstyle.jpg

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
And the following are all sapphires I like (considering color first)

rebsapphire1.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
hmmmm....I thought I posted a reply to this already- either way. Have you thought about contacting Jeff White for a sapphire. Some of the ladies on PS have sapphires by him and they are stunning. I believe he would be within your price range to include a setting. This is my favorite halo sapphire ring. It is a Jeff White Sapphire and Leon Mege Halo that belongs to DianaBanana. here is the thread with more pictures.

DianaBananaLeon411474.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE JEff White sapphires and would totally ask him to source and cut one for you!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness!! How beautiful! That is almost exactly what I am looking for! Thank you so much SarahBear!! I did contact him and he would need to search for a stone, but he thinks he might know where he can find one. I am so excited now that I have seen that gorgeous ring!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
One of the great things about sapphires, there are so many different kinds, I think there is one for anyone lol! I strongly prefer the velvety appearance of very nice rutile silk personally. Others prefer very clean flashes of color. I first fell in love with Kashmir sapphires by seeing the crown jewels of England. The state crown of India has some remarkable sapphires!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
You are absolutely right Soberguy! It truly depends what color / texture "moves" you. And just like everyone says, when you see it, you KNOW :) I promise to keep everyone updated on the ring :D

Thanks again everyone!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Good I''m glad I could help! Everyone has their personal preference but for me I just think Jeff White has a great eye for color, great cutting technique and fabulous customer service! I really hope he works out for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2010 7:50:20 PM
Author: RebeccaMUA
And the following are all sapphires I like (considering color first)

This sapphire has violet in it, and that keeps the cost down. The best sapphires are more of a pure blue hue, but if you like violet in your sapphire, that's a matter of personal preference (nothing wrong with that). It also helps your budget.
1.gif
It is rather dark though, so be learly of darker toned sapphires since they can "black out" in certain lighting.

When purchasing a sapphire make sure you ask the vendor for photos in different light sources. Some can go more grey or dark in various lighting (fluorescent, natural, incandescent). Forget true fine Kashmir sapphires, they are at least $60K/carat. The best sapphires come from these regions in order

Kashmir
Burma
Ceylon (which I think ties with Madagascar)

Madagascar sapphire can be very beautiful and an affordable alternative to Ceylon.

NEVER EVER buy any sapphire without a reputable lab memo since there are almost always treated and treatments can vary significantly from high heat and dying to just plain heat. The latter is more acceptable in the trade.

I would not buy from NSC because
1) They do not provide a lab certification from a well known lab like GIA, AGL, GRS, etc. . . (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't care for their in-house cert)
2) They're very overpriced.

Also when purchasing a sapphire, ask for pavillion shots and shots from various angles to indicate how significant the zoning is. Zoning are areas or voids of color in a gem, and sapphires are very prone to zoning. Some face up rather well, but if you tilt them, the zoning becomes much more evident.

Although $13K is a lot of money, it will not buy you a top grade sapphire unfortunately, but you should be able to get a lot for that $13K if you do your homework right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly doubt you will be able to get a fine quality unheated sapphire of 4 carats for $13K in a halo setting but it is doable in a heated stone of closer to 3 carats. I’d put the bulk of the money towards the stone, leaving aside around $2K to $3K for the setting, which leaves you around $10K for the stone. You are definitely going to have more options in looking for a loose stone, rather than a ready made piece. When you do find something you like, feel free to post pictures so we will be able to help you decide if it’s the one for you.

Picture 1: The sapphire looks very dark and not a true blue. It appears violetish blue on my monitor. It is also not very saturated (shows some gray).

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 7:41:04 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

1) They do not provide a lab certification from a well known lab like GIA, AGL, GRS, etc. . . (someone correct me if I''m wrong, but I don''t care for their in-house cert)

2) They''re very overpriced.

This isn''t entirely accurate. While many of the stones do come with their in-house cert (agreed not valuable) the upper end stones often do come with 3rd party certs. Case in point being my fiance''s stone came with a GRS cert.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Here's a great PriceScope link to look at a wide variety of sapphire rings. Many of the stones are real beauties:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-sapphires.97655/

and

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-a-pretty-large-budget-for-a-sapphire-e-ring-cant-decide-whether-to-buy-already-made-or-custo.143130/

My personal vote is for LostSapphires ring, that stone is absurdly beautiful (Jeff White re-cut)
30.gif

LostSapphires ring:

Foo1198.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2010 12:55:05 PM
Author: vinkalmann
Date: 5/19/2010 7:41:04 AM

Author: tourmaline_lover

1) They do not provide a lab certification from a well known lab like GIA, AGL, GRS, etc. . . (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't care for their in-house cert)

2) They're very overpriced.

This isn't entirely accurate. While many of the stones do come with their in-house cert (agreed not valuable) the upper end stones often do come with 3rd party certs. Case in point being my fiance's stone came with a GRS cert.

Thanks Vinkalmann,
Will they obtain a third party cert if you request one for an additional fee? I don't like having the responsibility of sending the stone to the lab myself, I rather the vendor did it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

My sapphire (avatar) is sourced and cut by Jeff White too..
my style of ring is quite different to yours, but I can post a link/photos if you like..

I adore my Jeff stone, and it is my belief he provides the prettiest blue sapphires from the vendors available
to us.

Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope no one takes offense to my comments here, but I'm really curious. I hope Jeff can chime in as well, but how does Jeff know the stones he recuts are not diffused? I could be totally ignorant here, and missing something. Diffusion can go all the way into the gem, and from what I understand, he doesn't get any with certification, does he? I hope someone, even Jeff, chimes in. I'm not judging his integrity at all, he's an honest guy from what I hear, I just want to understand his selection process better, so I can also recommend him as a vendor for sapphires. Thanks in advance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results