carat
color
clarity

Green or Blue?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which do you like better?

The green is a 0.26 ct. old mine cut, GIA Fancy Intense Green with no color modifiers, VS2 per GIA.
List $33,800 or $130,000 per ct.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4217.htm

The blue is a 0.12 ct emerald cut, GIA Fancy Deep Blue with no color modifiers, SI2 per vendor.
List $16,700 or $139,167 per ct.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/3718.htm

Does anyone here have an informed opinion on the prices and if one is priced, shall we say, more appropriately than the other?
I realize there is little activity in these kind of stones so not many folks will have familiarity with pricing.

Picture 7.png

E B

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind I know *nothing* about colored diamonds, but I LOVE the green one.

:love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the prices? I have limited viewing capabilities on my browser for PS.2, so if you could tell us.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See edit. :wink2:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For cut and colour, without a shadow of a doubt, I'd go for the green. It's simply beautiful and it's far more unusual to find a green with that colour than it is to find a very dark blue.

In terms of price? I have no clue because that green screams to me "name your price and I'll pay it"!

Not very helpful - sorry - but I'm SERIOUSLY in :love: with the green. :lickout:

ETA: Just looked at the GIA report and it says "brown patches of colour not shown" - now they're not apparent in the photos apart from a slight yellow tinge on some facets which I assume are the brown patches? Even with that to have fancy intense green is just OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am :love: with the green too: so crisp, cool and well cut too! The blue, on the other hand, looks like a too dark sapphire to me (even though it probably performs better than any sapphire).

I am not an expert on coloured diamonds by any means, but the prices seem to be along the line of what I have seen for other high quality coloured diamonds.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to interrupt but could tourmaline be found in a color like that? :love:

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
oOo green! Definitely green, you'll get color, dispersion, and at a 0.26 ct you'll actually be able to see it.

No idea on prices.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
When I saw the green, I literally said "Oh my GOD!" out loud.

So that's my answer :bigsmile:

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
GREEN! Oh man, if I could have two cts of that green goodness, I would die happy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Which do you like better?

The green is a 0.26 ct. old mine cut, GIA Fancy Intense Green with no color modifiers, VS2 per GIA.
List $33,800 or $130,000 per ct.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4217.htm

The blue is a 0.12 ct emerald cut, GIA Fancy Deep Blue with no color modifiers, SI2 per vendor.
List $16,700 or $139,167 per ct.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/3718.htm

Does anyone here have an informed opinion on the prices and if one is priced, shall we say, more appropriately than the other?
I realize there is little activity in these kind of stones so not many folks will have familiarity with pricing.

I'm on my other computer and I can NOW finally see the pricing. I think those prices are fair for such colors, and of course, the green is graded by the fact that there is a radiation stain, but is it a natural radiation stain? You have to place your trust in the GIA report although such treatment is often difficult to detect since artificially color enhanced green diamonds are also irradiated to produce that color. The GIA report is really the object giving that stone so much value. We had this conversation before, so it's up to you whether you want to buy the gem based on the opinion of the lab report. Do you have more information about the green, is it an "old stone?" Was it graded prior to cutting the rough?

Tiffany & Co had an emerald cut green diamond about two carat in a plain solitaire ring,. It was a similar color to the green diamond you're showing, not as saturated though, and it was $2 million if I remember correctly. I wish I could find a more recent article on how the GIA detects the color of natural greens. . Sorry, but I'm the eternal skeptic.

Read this article from the third paragraph down.
http://www.modernjeweler.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=2&id=267&pageNum=2

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
The green the green!

breezing

Rough_Rock
between those two - the green. i'm sure the blue is beautiful but next to the green it's rather lifeless.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, from a pure picture standpoint the green of course! Also the green is a wee bit bigger to right?

-A

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
The green without a doubt, but rather than pay that kind of money (even if I had it) I would go look for a nice Merelani or tourmaline in that color.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
When I read the subject line, I thought 'blue for sure', but my first glimpse of the green changed my mind realllyy quickly.

The green is breathtaking! :love: :wavey:

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That green is just beautiful!! :$$):

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Revolution said:
The green without a doubt, but rather than pay that kind of money (even if I had it) I would go look for a nice Merelani or tourmaline in that color.

Yes, you could have this for about the same price, but it wouldn't be a diamond either.
http://www.johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/726.html

Fancy rare colored diamonds are in a class by themselves, and so are the collectors of them.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I told you I was a vintage cut junky when I proposed the other day. Is this my engagement stone?????

Green, GREEN, GREEN!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds said:
Just looked at the GIA report and it says "brown patches of colour not shown" - now they're not apparent in the photos apart from a slight yellow tinge on some facets which I assume are the brown patches?

I believe those yellow flashes are not color in the stone, rather just some white light that happened to be broken up into yellow in those two facets in the first pic below.
The yellow areas couldn't be the brown patches mentioned in the report because they'd be in both top views.

Also, I love how you can see a circle of culets just outside the table.
It reminds me of a compound flower.

I suspect the brown areas are on the skin which is present in the indented naturals - I think you can see the main one in the side view on the girdle.

KennyGreen.jpg

KennyGreen3.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The blue is no match for the green in terms of cutting, color and clarity. Pretty round!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your newest set of photos is much lighter in tone. Did the photos get color corrected?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I hate to be agreeable, or toe the party line, but that green stone is ne plus ultra

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
I think those prices are fair for such colors, and of course, the green is graded by the fact that there is a radiation stain, but is it a natural radiation stain? You have to place your trust in the GIA report although such treatment is often difficult to detect since artificially color enhanced green diamonds are also irradiated to produce that color. The GIA report is really the object giving that stone so much value. We had this conversation before, so it's up to you whether you want to buy the gem based on the opinion of the lab report. Do you have more information about the green, is it an "old stone?" Was it graded prior to cutting the rough?

Tiffany & Co had an emerald cut green diamond about two carat in a plain solitaire ring,. It was a similar color to the green diamond you're showing, not as saturated though, and it was $2 million if I remember correctly. I wish I could find a more recent article on how the GIA detects the color of natural greens. . Sorry, but I'm the eternal skeptic.

Read this article from the third paragraph down.
http://www.modernjeweler.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=2&id=267&pageNum=2

If you can't trust GIA who CAN you trust?
Now you got me worried.

If Itzik is reading this, can you address this?
How can anyone, including myself (let alone the buyer of that $2-million dollar Tiffany green), buy a green diamond with peace of mind?
If irradiated the value of this quarter-carat round would drop about $33,000.
I sure hope GIA doesn't get a new, more accurate, analysis method that causes that to happen after I buy it. ;(

Is it really possible that $2-million Tiffany and this little round may have green color NOT of natural origin?

GIA's report clearly states that the color is of natural origin.
It does not say, maybe or probably.
I just have a hard time believing GIA would put their name and reputation on the line when so much money is at stake.
Imagine the lawsuits.

Is there a higher authority on the origin of diamond color than GIA? - Perhaps AGS or AGL?
If so, do they have better/newer equipment than GIA or just higher standards?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results